Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Creating a World - Importing units from another mod

Default Re: Creating a World - Importing units from another mod

I'm sorry to ressurrect this thread but I have a problem as well. Like one person before me I tried adding a Broken Crescent unit into Stainless Steel. I chose Vestiaritai.
    I *think* I did everything fine and the unit plays fine in custom battles - the textures are there and so on.
    But when I start a campaign, it doesn't launch just takes me back to the menu where I can choose between the campaign and custom battle. What could I have done wrong?

Any help would be appreciated!

Jump back to the menu is fairly common, and way better than a crash. What does your system log say? Usually it always point the mistake with a jump back to the menu.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Crash back to menu in most cases involves descr_strat. As selv said it's normally well documented in the log, look for a line with [error] in it at the end of the log.

Thank you!
    Now, I sorry for a dumb question but how do I check the log? Either I don't seem to see it or don't know where it is. Though if you mean system.log file then the back to menu wasn't documented in it.
    However, I managed to figure it out - it was the descr_mercenaries. To make room for the unit I removed Kazaks mercenaries from EDU and didn't remove them from descr_mercenaries.
    Thank you once more

Blog Entries

The log for Stainless Steel is defined in the CFG file of the mod (see example below), usually in the logs sub folder of the game.

Code:
    [log]
    to = logs\system.log.txt                    # path and name of log

Thank you!

I have another question though...
    I've succesfully moved four units (can't seem to make the ranged units worked, probably something about the projectile but can't figure it out...) however the ones moved from Broken Crescent turn into black shadows if I zoom away from them. I suspect that this is something with the mesh files or sprites, the units from SS have few entries with different mesh file, each one of them with a different number (max being 6400), while the ones from BC only have one mesh entry in Battle_models.model.db.
    Is there a way around it?

Much appreciated!

EDIT: Doesn't matter, managed to fix it.
    Dumb mistake on my part
    Last edited by Frunk; October 26, 2017 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Posts merged.

Blog Entries

Ranged units - make sure the projectile exists in your mod's descr_projectile. Else change it to a suitable projectile.

Hi Gigantus

Great tutorial and resource. However is there a tutorial that also details how to import an animation from one mod to another?

For example, I imported Orc Boyz from Botet into EB2. However, the game crashes when loading into battle when I try to use their animation set "Warhammer_Orc_Sword". When I switch the Orcs to use an existing EB2 animation set there is no crash. I went to descr_skeleton and copied the entry from Botet into EB2. I also extracted the animation files from Botet and copied them all into EB2's animations folder.

However, this still leads to EB 2 crashing and I am forced to make the Orc unit use an existing EB2 animation set.

Where did I go wrong?

Blog Entries

I am afraid I have to pass on that - you should be able to get an answer in the modelling workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    I am afraid I have to pass on that - you should be able to get an answer in the modelling workshop.
    Thank you for the assistance!

Blog Entries

Hmm, since I now know how to import units (minus the ranged ones, still not working for some reason :/) now I'm wondering how can one import buildings.
    As I understand I'd need to copy the entry from EDB, adjust the factions, cost etc.
    I'd describe them in export_building... there is no battle_model for them, I presume... but how would I copy their look? Is there anything else I'm missing?

Much appreciated!

Actually there are battle models for buildings but it's not a matter of tga or scripts/text files, and it's not mandatory. Regarding strat map ui, the building cards image are in data/ui/"cultures names" folder. There is a tutorial on creating buildings, you can follow it to import any buildings. Just remember that it's 128 building tree max, nine levels max per building in the EDB.

Blog Entries

For battle buildings ask the guys (and girls) in this sub forum. It's a completely different principle.

Thank you both. So adding a building to the battle map isn't necessary for the building to work and provide bonuses? That's great
    You have this: http://medieval2.heavengames.com/m2t...gs/index.shtml guide in mind?
    Thank you once more!

Blog Entries

Additional buildings do not require battle buildings - they can however be added.

Thank you once more!

Now I Ran Into Problem I Ported The Barbarian Invasion Unit To The Main Game Now I Have A Biggest Problem Ever

I'm having a problem importing the Mercenary Dúnedain Swordsman unit from the DCI: Tôl Acharn submod.and putting it in the Northern Dúnedain faction. I followed the tutorial but there is no sprite file for that particular unit. I thought maybe some don't have those files so I tried starting up the game but it crashes a few seconds afterwards. Thanks for any help!

Blog Entries

It could be a default sprite that is being used, check if the sprite entry exists for another model in the modelDB file.
    The crash at startup suggests a mistake in the modelDB file.When you changed the faction name in that file did you also change the line count number and the total count number at the top of the file?