Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Creating a World - Importing units from another mod

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creating a World - Importing units from another mod

I would copy the line in the EDB for them to be skinned properly
    Not sure what mean by this, it's certainly not correct. Assigning skins is done in the modelDB file
    and change it to this

ownership turks, egypt, moors, kwarezm
    era 0 turks, egypt, moors, kwarezm
    Correct
    And change it to this -

recruit_pool "Turkish Ghulams" 1 0.5 2 0 requires factions { turks, egypt, moors, kwarezm }
    Correct again

Number 886 is the number of model entries in the modelDB file. If you add a model (the new one from the other mod) then this number has to be increased by one, irrespective for how many factions it is. To get proper skin assignements for your factions you will have to have the correct entries in the unit's modelDB entry. In my example you have the skin assignment for mongols only. If you want to add another faction (example turks) then it would look like this:

Code:
    18 dismounted_archers 
    1 4 
    56 unit_models/_Units/AS_Light/dismounted_archers_lod0.mesh 121 
    56 unit_models/_Units/AS_Light/dismounted_archers_lod1.mesh 900 
    56 unit_models/_Units/AS_Light/dismounted_archers_lod2.mesh 2500 
    56 unit_models/_Units/AS_Light/dismounted_archers_lod3.mesh 6400 
    7 mongols 
    67 unit_models/_Units/AS_Light/textures/AS_Light_Fancy_mongols.texture 
    66 unit_models/_Units/AS_Light/textures/AS_Light_Fancy_normal.texture 
    51 unit_sprites/mongols_Mongol_Foot_Archers_sprite.spr 
    5 turks 
    7 mongols 
    59 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Asian_mongols_diff.texture 
    59 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Asian_mongols_norm.texture 0  
    5 turks 
    4 None 
    16 MTW2_Fast_Bowman 
    20 MTW2_Non_Shield_Fast 1 
    19 MTW2_Bowman_Primary 1 
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
    Red is the increased number of the faction count, blue is the new faction entries for the main texture and attachment texture.

Ayyubid's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Not sure what mean by this, it's certainly not correct. Assigning skins is done in the modelDB file

Correct

Correct again

Number 886 is the number of model entries in the modelDB file. If you add a model (the new one from the other mod) then this number has to be increased by one, irrespective for how many factions it is. To get proper skin assignements for your factions you will have to have the correct entries in the unit's modelDB entry. In my example you have the skin assignment for mongols only. If you want to add another faction (example turks) then it would look like this:

Code:
    18 dismounted_archers 
    1 4 
    56 unit_models/_Units/AS_Light/dismounted_archers_lod0.mesh 121 
    56 unit_models/_Units/AS_Light/dismounted_archers_lod1.mesh 900 
    56 unit_models/_Units/AS_Light/dismounted_archers_lod2.mesh 2500 
    56 unit_models/_Units/AS_Light/dismounted_archers_lod3.mesh 6400 
    7 mongols 
    5 turks 
    7 mongols 
    5 turks 
    4 None 
    16 MTW2_Fast_Bowman 
    20 MTW2_Non_Shield_Fast 1 
    19 MTW2_Bowman_Primary 1 
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 
    Red is the increased number of the faction count, blue is the new faction entries for the main texture and attachment texture.
    Ok. When I start adding units from BC, i may have more questions. For now i'll get the unit skinning done per faction within the mod. Thanks Gigantus!
    Last edited by Ayyubid; June 21, 2014 at 08:20 AM.
    "I have fought in more than 100 battle . Do you see a space of the span of a hand on my leg, chest, arm which is not covered by some scar of the wound of a sword or an arrow or a lance? And here I am, dying in my bed, like cattle die. May the eyes of cowards never sleep."

- Khalib Ibn Waleed

Ayyubid's Avatar Tiro

I made a lot of changes with adding units to other factions. It worked with the first couple units I did it with, so I kept going for awhile, then hit an error. The game is Crashing, with the system log only showing the basic "unexpected error" message. How do I set my log file to a more detailed explanation?

Here is my basic log -

07:59:38.560 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    07:59:38.574 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Aug 3 2007 version bld-medieval2-kingdoms-104 (45562) ===
    07:59:38.582 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    07:59:38.584 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    07:59:38.587 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    07:59:38.590 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    07:59:38.592 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    07:59:38.592 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    07:59:42.096 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    "I have fought in more than 100 battle . Do you see a space of the span of a hand on my leg, chest, arm which is not covered by some scar of the wound of a sword or an arrow or a lance? And here I am, dying in my bed, like cattle die. May the eyes of cowards never sleep."

- Khalib Ibn Waleed

I was about to post the same thing as Ayyubid. I imported Hospitaller Sergeants and Canons of the Holy Whatcha-ma-call-it (not sure how to spell the word) from Crusades into The Long Road 2.4.3
    Works fine (except the upgrade armor for Sergeants made them invisible, so I removed that part from the EDU). Gave both units to 6 factions and everything was peachy. Now, for whatever reason, I cannot get any other units to work. I always get the Unexpected Error.

Edit: Placing the new unit (Dismounted Ritt) above the listing for the Hospitaller Sergeants lets the entire file be read; so it's all working now. I have no idea why that would effect anything, since the file isn't in alphabetic order.
    Last edited by ameliajaisa; June 21, 2014 at 06:57 PM.

Blog Entries

Detailed log: modify your CFG file entry that it reads trace instead of error
    Code:
    [log] 
    to = logs/M2TW.system.log.txt 
    level = * trace
    Crash by order: I have come across this before, but have no explanation other then that you may have exceeded 500 units. Or some weird formatting at the end of the Hospitaller Sergeants.

Ayyubid's Avatar Tiro

Detailed log: modify your CFG file entry that it reads trace instead of error
    Code:
    [log] 
    to = logs/M2TW.system.log.txt 
    level = * trace
    Crash by order: I have come across this before, but have no explanation other then that you may have exceeded 500 units. Or some weird formatting at the end of the Hospitaller Sergeants.
    I restarted my modding. Made backups. Things are going well. Tested the game after each unit addition. I will probably be posting again when I begin unit importing from BC. Thanks for all the help so far.
    Last edited by Ayyubid; June 23, 2014 at 06:09 AM.

- Khalib Ibn Waleed

Ayyubid's Avatar Tiro

Ran into an issue. I already imported 2 units from BC to my mod. I had this issue before, but I forgot how I fixed it. Could someone tell me what this addresses? I looked at my bmdb, and there's nothing wrong with it.

04:15:26.583 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 17040, column 2
    Could not find soldier battle model for unit type 'ghazi_heavy'.

04:15:26.583 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : error reading record from file mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_unit.txt.

- Khalib Ibn Waleed

Blog Entries

Check the EDU entry: either the model in the soldier line or in the upgrade line is not present in the modeldb file

Ayyubid's Avatar Tiro

Check the EDU entry: either the model in the soldier line or in the upgrade line is not present in the modeldb file
    I fixed that issue. Now i'm having an issue with the modelDB being very bizarre, and will revert to it's old self before any edits. Though now, after having re done all of my edits, I'm getting an error when the game runs. I start medieval 2, and the screen turns black for a few seconds, then the game exits, and gives me a CTD error. The log shows no errors, though at the bottom it says this -

00:53:38.923 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/SS6.3/data/unit_models/battle_models.modelDB (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    00:53:38.923 [system.io] [trace] file open,,mods/SS6.3/data/unit_models/battle_models.modelDB,2465028
    00:53:38.924 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/SS6.3/data/unit_models/battle_models.modelDB (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    00:53:39.166 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

is there a way to show an even deeper log? As in, a more complicated log to catch errors? I could send you my modelDB, EDB, EDU, and EU , and tell you exactly what changes I made to prexisting units, and which units I added. I kept track of everything.

- Khalib Ibn Waleed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ayyubid View Post
    I fixed that issue. Now i'm having an issue with the modelDB being very bizarre, and will revert to it's old self before any edits.
    That would be unlikely - I presume it's either the virtual store that is messing with you (changes are seemingly not accepted) or you have saved the file in another location. Are you using an automatic back up system?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayyubid View Post
    is there a way to show an even deeper log? As in, a more complicated log to catch errors? I could send you my modelDB, EDB, EDU, and EU , and tell you exactly what changes I made to prexisting units, and which units I added. I kept track of everything.
    Something is messed up in your modeldb file for sure, it could be a simple line count number.
    Have you tried using the modeldb checker from knight errand or the unit editor tool from gracul?
    Last edited by Gigantus; June 25, 2014 at 03:32 AM.

Ayyubid's Avatar Tiro

That would be unlikely - I presume it's either the virtual store that is messing with you (changes are seemingly not accepted) or you have saved the file in another location. Are you using an automatic back up system?

Something is messed up in your modeldb file for sure, it could be a simple line count number.
    Have you tried using the modeldb checker from knight errand or the unit editor tool from gracul?
    I haven't tried using the knight errand one. Does it work for SS? As for the editor tool, I was told it would be much easier to use your importing method.

- Khalib Ibn Waleed

Blog Entries

I was looking at the unit editor from the point of formatting your modeldb correctly in case you don't succeed to find the error with knight errands tool.

Ayyubid's Avatar Tiro

I was looking at the unit editor from the point of formatting your modeldb correctly in case you don't succeed to find the error with knight errands tool.
    I tried using the unit editor, quite frankly i'm extremely confused on how to even use it. How could I use it to correct my modeldb? I also know for sure that my edu, edb, eu, and other files aside from my modeldb are fine. The issues only started happening after the modeldb reverted back to itself, then continued on my second round of corrections. Is it possible to send you my necessary files, and the list of units I added for correction, addition, and subtraction?

- Khalib Ibn Waleed

Ayyubid's Avatar Tiro

Having errors with my descr_strat -

04:35:00.632 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/SS6.3/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/unlocked.txt (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    04:35:00.633 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id Highlanders exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0 requested.

04:35:00.634 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id ere varangians exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0 requested.

04:35:00.637 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id Knights of Jerusalem requested.

04:35:00.637 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id Templar Crossbowmen requested.

04:35:00.655 [system.io] [trace] file open,,18C35728,9473

04:35:05.307 [data.invalid] [error] World creation error: couldn't find unit description for unit type 'Highlanders exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0'.
    04:35:05.307 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 2844, column 1
    Could not create(Highlanders exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0) from the unit database.
    04:35:05.307 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 2844, column 1
    Unable to create new army

04:35:08.083 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/SS6.3/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/unlocked.txt (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    04:35:08.084 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id Highlanders exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0 requested.

04:35:08.085 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id ere varangians exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0 requested.

04:35:08.088 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id Knights of Jerusalem requested.

04:35:08.088 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id Templar Crossbowmen requested.

04:35:09.641 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/SS6.3/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/unlocked.txt (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    04:35:09.642 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id Highlanders exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0 requested.

04:35:09.644 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id ere varangians exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0 requested.

04:35:09.645 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id Knights of Jerusalem requested.

04:35:09.646 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id Templar Crossbowmen requested.

04:35:09.647 [system.io] [trace] file open,,18C56428,9473

04:35:10.411 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/SS6.3/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/unlocked.txt (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    04:35:10.412 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id Highlanders exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0 requested.

04:35:10.413 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id ere varangians exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0 requested.

04:35:10.416 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id Knights of Jerusalem requested.

04:35:10.416 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id Templar Crossbowmen requested.

04:35:12.872 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/SS6.3/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/unlocked.txt (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    04:35:12.873 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id Highlanders exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0 requested.

04:35:12.874 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id ere varangians exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0 requested.

04:35:12.877 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id Knights of Jerusalem requested.

04:35:12.877 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id Templar Crossbowmen requested.

04:35:21.470 [data.invalid] [error] World creation error: couldn't find unit description for unit type 'Highlanders exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0'.
    04:35:21.471 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 2844, column 1
    Could not create(Highlanders exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0) from the unit database.
    04:35:21.471 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 2844, column 1
    Unable to create new army

- Khalib Ibn Waleed

Blog Entries

This type is most likely a formatting issue of the line (space instead of tab):
    Correct line: unitTABHighlandersTABexpSPACE1SPACEarmourSPACE0SPACEweapon_lvlSPACE0

This seems to be spelling errors (capitalizing?) or missing entries in the EDU, or type instead of dictionary entry in EDU used (underscore):
    DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id Templar Crossbowmen requested.
    Code:
    type             Dismounted Norman Knights
    dictionary       Dismounted_Norman_Knights

Ayyubid's Avatar Tiro

This type is most likely a formatting issue of the line (space instead of tab):

Correct line: unitTABHighlandersTABexpSPACE1SPACEarmourSPACE0SPACEweapon_lvlSPACE0

This seems to be spelling errors (capitalizing?) or missing entries in the EDU, or type instead of dictionary entry in EDU used (underscore):

Code:
    type             Dismounted Norman Knights
    dictionary       Dismounted_Norman_Knights
    The templar crossbowmen and knights of jerusalem I removed from my mod to be replaced by other units. The ere varangians are an addition, though they were never an issue before. The campaign is not working. It just brings me back to the selections screen after i choose a faction and try to start a campaign game. Custom games are working just fine. Skins are fine. Unit cards/info. It's the campaign only.

*FIXED* - Thank you Gigantus. I PMed you recently about making a dismounted unit as a final unit of my mod. Please let me know if you know an easy/well explained way, like how you have with your "Creating another world tutorials", which are amazing btw.
    Last edited by Ayyubid; July 01, 2014 at 08:41 AM.

- Khalib Ibn Waleed

Ayyubid's Avatar Tiro

*FIXED* - I had my bmdb counter too low. Such a noob move :-/

Having another error. All of my mesh/texture files are in the right files. -

08:15:54.420 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_unit.txt (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    08:15:54.455 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 8363, column 1
    Could not find soldier battle model for unit type 'ayyubid_mamluk_cavalry'.

08:15:54.455 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : error reading record from file mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_unit.txt.

08:15:54.483 [game.script.trigger] [info]

Here is the bmdb entry -

22 ayyubid_mamluk_cavalry
    1 1
    59 unit_models/_Units/ayyubid/ayyubid_mamluk_cavalry_lod0.mesh 6400
    7 kwarezm
    60 unit_models/_Units/ayyubid/textures/ayyubid_mamluk_1.texture
    67 unit_models/_Units/ayyubid/textures/ayyubid_mamluk_normal_1.texture
    38 unit_sprites/merc_Turkomans_sprite.spr
    5 moors
    5 egypt
    5 turks
    5 slave
    4 merc
    7 kwarezm
    70 unit_models/_Units/ayyubid/textures/ayyubid_axe_shields_diff_1.texture
    70 unit_models/_Units/ayyubid/textures/ayyubid_axe_shields_norm_1.texture 0
    5 moors
    5 egypt
    5 turks
    5 slave
    4 merc
    5 Horse
    13 MTW2_HR_Lance
    12 MTW2_HR_Mace 2
    21 MTW2_HR_Lance_Primary
    14 fs_test_shield 2
    17 MTW2_Mace_Primary
    14 fs_test_shield

Here is the EDU entry -

;! unitstart
    ;! calculate sec_attack_min_delay pri_attack_min_delay training discipline rank_number close_spacing_side close_spacing_frontback stat_heat soldier_mass soldier_number pri_charge_bonus sec_charge_bonus pri_attack_factor sec_attack_factor pri_missile_amount base_moral pri_defensive_skill ground_scrub ground_sand ground_forest ground_snow training_cost upkeep weapon_upgrade_cost armour_upgrade_cost custom_battle_cost
    ;! variable CLASSE:5 FACTION:ARAB MOUNTED:HORSE ARMOUR:MEDIUM WEAPONTYPE:SPEAR
    type ayyubid mamluk cavalry
    dictionary ayyubid_mamluk_cavalry ; ayyubid mamluk cavalry
    category cavalry
    class heavy
    voice_type Heavy
    accent Arabic
    banner faction main_cavalry
    banner holy crusade_cavalry
    soldier ayyubid_mamluk_cavalry, 20, 0, 1.1
    mount eastern armoured horse
    mount_effect elephant -4, camel -4
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, very_hardy, can_withdraw, can_formed_charge, knight
    formation 2.5, 4, 3, 6, 2, square, wedge
    stat_health 1, 0
    stat_pri 20, 18, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 25, 1
    stat_pri_attr no
    stat_sec 22, 8, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, slashing, axe, 25, 1
    stat_sec_attr ap
    stat_pri_armour 19, 27, 19, metal
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 2
    stat_ground 2, 2, 0, 0
    stat_mental 28, impetuous, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 45
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 1407, 70, 196, 107, 1407
    armour_ug_levels 4
    armour_ug_models ayyubid_mamluk_cavalry
    ownership moors, egypt, turks, kwarezm
    info_pic_dir unified
    card_pic_dir unified
    ;! unitend
    Last edited by Ayyubid; July 01, 2014 at 10:45 AM.

- Khalib Ibn Waleed

Blog Entries

Looks like another counter issue. Move the modeldb entry up in the file and then check again.

Ayyubid's Avatar Tiro

Looks like another counter issue. Move the modeldb entry up in the file and then check again.
    It turned out to be another counter issue, such a noob mistake. Regarding mounts, how would I use a mount from another mod in a new mod? Would I need to transfer any models or animations? Or would I just make changes in the descr_mount by adding the desired mount entry from the mod's descr_mount, into my mod's descr_mount? I want to make bc full cat, and other mounts, available for use in my mod. So far I've had to change all the BC mounts to "eastern armoured horse", "early heavy horse" "mamluk heavy horse", "eastern horse", or "fast pony".

- Khalib Ibn Waleed

Blog Entries

Adding new mounts can be a challenge.

It starts with descr_mounts, then goes into modeldb and may require new animations as well (see the entry in modeldb).