Thread: Eagle Standard, Volume XI Issue II

Audacia's Avatar Give Life Back to Music
    Content Emeritus

Default Eagle Standard, Volume XI Issue II

The best publication for Total War and modding news!

Eagle Standard CONTENT INDEX
    (Do not scroll until specific post appears)

Rome II
    Shogun II
    Napoleon and Empire
    Medieval II
    Eras

Letter from Audacia

Salve! After another extended hiatus the Eagle Standard returns to bring you all of the latest Total War and modding news! This issue of the Eagle Standard is jam-packed with coverage. Our reporters have played Total War: Rome II and offer their own assessment of the highly divisive game. We even take a good look at a series of previews released by the Creative Assembly prior to Rome II's release, and compare them to the actual game in an attempt to dispel some myths and uncover some facts. You may be surprised at what we found. Chloe, our guest reporter, takes a look at some of Rome II's popular aesthetic modifications. If you're looking for eye pleasing unit cards, look no further! We also explore some of the most groundbreaking and popular overhauls for Rome II, including the Silven Total Improvement Mod and Radious' massive overhaul. Beyond all of our detailed Rome II coverage, the Eagle Standard decided to interview the team members of one of the most revolutionary modifications in Total War history, The Great War. Our interview takes you behind the scenes of the three year project that produced The Great War 5.0. It's an interview you definitely do not want to miss. Of course, I also encourage you read about the latest previews, updates, and releases of modifications for every Total War game. Even with the release of Rome II, modifications like Roma Surrectum 2.6 are still being released and are sure to provide hours of enjoyment! I guarantee you will find something you like! Finally, I want to take the time to thank our guest reporter Chloe for contributing to this issue. With that, I bid you farewell. Enjoy!

Audacia
    Director of the Eagle Standard

Last edited by Audacia; December 13, 2013 at 10:25 AM.

Under the patronage of Inkie Pie: Text Editor for The Great War
    Roma Surrectum II

Content Emeritus

Default Re: Eagle Standard, Volume XI Issue II

Rome II

Review: The Release of Total War: Rome II
    Review: Total War: Rome II

The release of Rome II has been met with mixed reactions but what saddens me most is the number of negative feedback about the game. With the most anticipated Total War title comes a multitude of expectations and when these are not met, it's quite natural to see some fans disgruntled. However, after playing a few battles and completing my Roman campaign, I have to say that despite some disappointing aspects, the game itself is not without merits. Sure the battles are too fast-paced, the capture points do not appeal to some Total War fans, graphical glitches hamper battle gameplay, and the absence of the family tree is sorely missed, but the game compensates with its all-new complex and flexible features. Tech research, the ability to choose a general's bodyguard, improved diplomacy, and hundreds of varied factions are all improvements over the first Rome title. We all remember how many fans wished to have Naval battles with Triremes, Biremes and the Quinquiremes right? Well now we have it.

The most touchy subjects among fans surrounded, not surprisingly, the Campaign AI (CAI) and Battle AI (BAI) which many thought were fixed by Creative Assembly. Contrary to popular belief, it was really fixed and CA has done their best to improve the AI and for that I applaud them. What many of the fans have failed to consider is the key fact that the AI follows a limited set of code parameters that allow it to react. A human brain, on the other hand, doesn't. In conclusion and to correct this myth about the AI, no matter how many codes CA has made to improve it, it still won't be able to out-think a human and we must bear in mind that many of us, me included, are veterans to strategy games and thus we have a lot of knowledge in respects to countering the AI. It may seem easy and it may seem as if the AI is stupid to veterans but it actually isn't. Furthermore, Patch 7 has significantly improved the AI. In battle after battle it is the BAI that make the first move against player, sending their cavalry at the flanks and catching the player off guard.

While some may say that Rome II is a bit overrated, I beg to differ and with the release of patches and a number of mods, I think Rome II is making an awesome comeback and is rising from the brink. In no way has Rome II lived up to expectations, but that is not to say that it cannot be enjoyed.

Written by: ImperialAquila.

Review: Rome II's Previews vs Rome II
    Review: Rome II's Previews vs Rome II

Before Rome II's release, a lot of previews were released by Creative Assembly. These previews, promotions and advertisements perked people up and heightened awareness about the game's impending release among the Total War community. Many of these previews or, as many disgruntled fans now call them, "marketing strategies," showcased a lot about Rome II's "perfection". The question remains, however, was how much of what we have seen in the previews were actually what we got when we bought the game? In this article, I will be doing a "compare and contrast" to dispel some of the myths and unravel the facts.

Let us review some of the Rally Point episodes starting with the "Battle of the Nile" video. The first thing we noticed is the scenery and battlefield environment, which is masterfully done, accurately depicting how the Nile was during the period. It is, quite simply, breathtakingly beautiful and absolutely stunning. The in-game scenario's battlefield environment is more or less the same so no complaints there from me, however, there are some noticeable things regarding the gameplay aspect that made me feel apprehensive. I'm not talking about the land battle but the naval one. In the video, we saw the ships closing in for a naval engagement after the transports landed and troops disembarked. We don't see much of it since the video focused on the land battle. What it failed to show us was how the naval battles played out and what the ship animations were like. I'm sorry to say that in the actual game, they are abysmal. The lack of proper ramming animations are blatant and break immersion. All things considered, the lack of proper animations is not at all that bad but sometimes it's the tiny, overlooked details that really make a difference.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Battle of the Nile

The second video that I will review is about the audio of Rome II. The audio is often overlooked by some but I think this is one of the most important aspects of the game. After all, it is the soundtrack that gives us the whole feeling of living in such times and the ambience of being in the middle of an ancient battlefield. The video “Lend Me Your Ears – The Audio of Total War Rome II" showed us the extreme lengths Creative Assembly's Sound Effects team has done to try and replicate authentic sounds for Rome II's battles by engaging in mock fights and melees. It was painstakingly done with a lot of effort and what we hear when the front lines clash is a testament to their skill. The sound effects are great and they deserve to be lauded for their efforts. Regarding voice acting, I still notice some mistakes in pronunciations but most of it is bearable. Some of the voice actors really did a great job, and their in game commentary in battles and on the campaign map certainly add a degree of immersion. Regarding the soundtrack by Richard Beddow, I do admire the work he has done so far. Total War games are known for their spectacular soundtracks, and Rome II lives up to its predecessors in that regard.

Now we move on to my favorite video, the one featuring the Siege of Carthage. I have spoken with many Total War fans and most of them are of the opinion that most of what we saw here does not exist in the actual game. Take for instance the unit pathfinding. In the video we saw how smoothly the units went from street to street, and block to block, fighting their way towards their objectives. In-game, I personally have experienced a few moments when some of my units started walking around clumsily, being blocked by something invisible. A minor glitch perhaps but when noticed, it shatters immersion. Then there are some claims that the epic city showcased in the video, with its stunning graphics, also does not exist in-game. This one is purely speculation however, since I have looked at them closely and found no differences in scale and graphics. Gameplay-wise, however, there are a number of noticeable differences.

The Siege of Carthage

Now, how about that Battle AI? In a Let’s Play video by Al Bickham, we saw how much the AI has supposedly improved. In the video we saw the Romans (AI) square off against the Macedonians (Player) in battle with, according to Mr. Bickham, a balanced army composition. When I first saw it, I never expected to see the Macedonians lose. As I watched the battle unfold, I saw how the AI adapted and reacted to many of the combat situations thrust upon it. In a daring move, the AI’s forces moved in and clipped the wings of Mr. Bickham’s battle line, eliminating his general and his ability to support the center, and routing the entire Macedonian army. It seemed as if the Creative Assembly had finally developed an engaging BAI. However, as we all know now, the AI behavior we witnessed in that video had rarely been replicated in game prior to a series of patches. Upon release, the BAI was utterly broken. Its behavior was erratic and unpredictable. Battles were hardly a challenge. A number of patches have addressed the BAI and significantly improved it. Regular battles are most definitely better than they were upon release, but siege battles continue to be an issue. The BAI in siege battles simply cannot make proper assaults upon walled settlements. We can only hope that upcoming patches finally fix this major problem. Given the Let's Play preview and a number of comments made by the Creative Assembly, many players feel like they were lied to. While I cannot share this sentiment, I can definitely understand their disappointment. The likelihood that the Creative Assembly intentionally lied to its fans is incredibly low. Perhaps the game was rushed, or perhaps their overestimated the capabilities of Rome II's BAI. In any event, it needs to be fixed.

Here's my conclusion: There may be a lot of things wrong about Rome II and certainly some of the previews were proven "false" the moment Rome II was released but in my honest opinion, the game still has merit. While some people may have lost their faith in Creative Assembly, the company has a chance to improve its damaged reputation with quality patches. It seems like they are already attempting to do just that, especially with Patch 7.

Written by: ImperialAquila and Audacia.

Latest DLC's

Nomadic Tribes Culture Pack and Blood and Gore DLC

The latest culture pack from the Creative Assembly offers Rome II players the opportunity to muster the armies of the mysterious northern plains and wreak havoc upon the civilized nations of the Mediterranean. The culture pack adds three new playable factions to Rome II, namely the Roxolani, the Massagetae, and the Royal Scythians. The Roxolani are a tribe of the northern steppes that, with their hardy steppe horses, are poised to dominate their neighbors and to acquire vast wealth from the more established empires to the south. The Massagetae are a confederation of tribes that Cyrus the Great died in battle against after he led a Persian army deep into their territory. Having killed the great King of Kings, they are considered by many to be a very real threat. The social and tribal elite of the nomadic tribes constitute the Royal Scythians, a fearsome people skilled with the bow. The Scythians are known for their love of wealth and will stop at nothing to obtain it.

In addition to the three new factions, the culture pack adds new cultural traits, like extra recruitment slots in the home provinces of the nomadic factions which enable them to raise armies quickly. The new factions also have a new set of cultural objectives, and each faction will face unique events and dilemmas. Furthermore, the culture pack adds a new military tradition to Rome II, namely the Nomadic Horde. Nomadic Horde increases the range at which armies can move and reduces the costs of cavalry units.

Many modifications for Rome II have unlocked all factions and made them playable, so one might be wondering, why purchase this culture pack? Well, in addition to the unique new features above that add a considerable degree of immersion to playing with a nomadic culture, the culture pack adds a host of new units to the game. The nomadic factions chiefly relied on cavalry in their armies, and the culture pack reflects this. A number of lancers, cataphracts, horse archers, and other cavalry units are included. In addition to the new units, the culture pack adds new buildings to Rome II, and by buildings we mean yurts and tents. The nomadic tribes, of course, did not favor permanent structures of brick and stone. New buildings of note include the Enaree building chain, which reflects the ability of nomadic soothsayers to impact research capabilities. Also of note are the unique groves, shrines, and sanctuaries that people of the nomadic tribes build to worship their gods. The Nomadic Tribes Culture Pack adds enough to Rome II to justify its price. If you are a player that enjoys massive cavalry engagements, I highly recommend you purchase this culture pack.

The Blood and Gore DLC brings to Total War what players have long yearned for: the savage and gory nature of intense hand to hand combat reflected in real time battles. It includes hundreds of blood soaked animations that occur in battle between different unit types. According to the Creative Assembly, Blood and Gore "looks and feels grittier and more brutal" than the same DLC for Shogun 2.

Decapitations and dismemberment will be common sights in Rome II with the Blood and Gore DLC. Gore will, according to the Creative Assembly, coat combatants, and the ground will be soaked with blood. The DLC will also include new sound effects so that the player will be able to "hear every stab, slash, and impact." The Blood and Gore DLC will satisfy the player who truly longs for immersion in battles. While the price tag may be a bit high for a little bit of blood and decapitated heads at three American dollars, I still recommend this to any player looking for what they enjoyed in Shogun 2 with blood and gore.

Written by Audacia.

Release: Radious Total War Mod
    Radious Total War Mod

Radious Total War Mod overhauls well beyond the mere radius of the circle that is Total War: Rome II. Its detailed changes certainly extend an entire diameter. If you have not yet had the chance to play Radious, how well the modification works to balance to art of battle on sea or land, the map, politics and diplomacy is stunning. Radious' modification touches nearly every aspect of Rome II, and is an overhaul in every sense of the word. No brief synopsis will do this full conversion justice, so here we attempt to inspect the major changes Radious' modification makes.

​First and foremost, Radious claims his modification makes "thousands of gameplay, visual, and AI changes." He says that it is the "largest project for Rome II currently, with much more to come." So does Radious live up to its hype?

The current version of Radious Total War Mod is compatible Patch 7. Radious' major work is a complete overhaul modification. However, for convenience, he split up his massive overhaul into many separate, smaller modifications that can be downloaded separately. This makes it easy for players who wish to play Radious' Campaign Features Mod, for example, but do not like the changes he makes to the Battle AI. All in all, Radious' separate modifications, all of which are included in the overhaul, include the
    Campaign Features Mod, a Battle Mod, an Economy and Research Mod, and AI Mod, three distinct unit packs, and a Graphics Mod.

So what does Radious' overhaul actually do? That can be a difficult question to answer. Radious Total War Mod touches so many aspects of the game. It changes everything from the main menu background screen and attrition to the game's economy and nearly every unit's battle statistics. Radious took plenty of time in balancing the units in game in an effort to provide a more enjoyable battle experience. He also made changes to several abilities and formations, again in the interest of gameplay mechanics. His unit packs collectively add nearly a hundred new units to the game, all of which have unique statistics. That being said, some of the new units are, perhaps, somewhat ahistorical. Nonetheless, they make recruitment that much more interesting.

Below, check out some fantastic screenshots.

Give some up for the fans keen eye and all that on the field of glory!

What is perhaps the convenient aspect of Radious Total War Mod is its compatibility with so many smaller modifications. Because Radious' modification is so popular, the creators of several small modifications, like those that alter the turns per year, those that add new units, those that make for a "better" Carthage or Sparta, and so on, made sure that their work is compatible with Radious'. Ultimately, this allows for players to mix and match their favorite modifications for a more enjoyable playing experience. For more sword and scutum antics feel free to ride on over and find more information about Radious Total War Mod here. Throw them a jug of wine and subscribe!

Written by: Audacia and ♔Old Dragoon♔.

BullGod Unit Icons Project
    BullGod Unit Icons Project

While some may see it as small or unimportant, the user interface of a game is an integral component of any form of digital entertainment. However, different people have different tastes, which is why I thought I ought to showcase the work of several modders who are reworking the UI to fit their artistic vision. First up is BullGod, who is well known for his Shogun II Unit Icon mod. Not resting on his laurels, BullGod has already finished unit cards for the Roman faction, and is working hard on the others. In fact, he has completed unit cards for many of the units present in the game. His icons have a nice hand-drawn aesthetic, so if you're a fan of that particular form of art, head over here to grab his icon pack! It is being constantly updated, so be sure to check the thread for new versions.
    Written by Chloe.

MaxMazi's Vanilla Category Colored Unit Cards
    MaxMazi's Vanilla Category Colored Unit Cards

If you are satisfied with the vanilla game's aesthetics, but wish there were an easier way to differentiate between unit types, look no further than MaxMazi! Having established himself as one of the top icon artists on the forums for his work on modding Third Age: Total War, he's turned his creative attentions to the newest game with great aplomb. Max has helpfully color coded every unit card in the game, allowing players to group their soldiers more efficiently while maintaining the look of the vanilla game (which many players like). Have a gander at some screenshots of the mod in action and decide for yourself!
    Written by Chloe.

Release: Silven Total Improvement Mod
    STIM

The Silven Total Improvement Mod, or STIM, by Silven, aims to completely overhaul Rome II. It is one of four modifications currently hosted by Total War Center, and that is for good reason. STIM overhauls Rome II in a way that "makes playing the game more enjoyable, without making too many radical changes that break immersion or believability." It makes drastic changes to combat that include major statistical alterations that make shock cavalry more powerful and missile units realistically accurate. Transport ships in STIM have their own independent values of damage when attacking other ships, and are much less powerful than the standard Light-Class ships. STIM completely eliminates the somewhat overpowered "magic abilities" that units possess, drastically improves morale so that units will not route as quickly, and vastly reduces kill rates. Overall, STIM aims to make battles last longer. That way, they are more enjoyable and tactics matter much, much more. In addition, STIM's statistical alterations make gameplay more realistic and altogether more immersive.

STIM additionally makes major changes to the campaign in Rome II. It gives the player the option to choose between two and four turns per year, and makes the appropriate changes, on a gradient, to research times and build times. Essentially, this means that as build or research times increase, the percentage of increase becomes smaller. These seemingly minor changes have a massive impact on the campaign. Obviously, campaigns in STIM last longer, and player decisions become much more important. For players that wish to experience bigger battles, STIM offers optional 2.0x unit sizes, though Silven strongly advises against this, for it will bug naval battles. In addition to a host of other campaign fixes and alterations, STIM solves the problem of the AI starving and prevents the early fall of early factions. It truly provides for a better campaign experience.

In case that's not enough to impress you, Silven has also begun work on the Silven Total Expansion Pack, or STEP, which currently adds thirteen new barbarian units to STIM. STEP will ultimately include at least ten additional units for each culture type. The units' statistics will be comparable to the statistics of vanilla units in STIM, so that the two are totally compatible. Below is a screenshot of Heroic Spear Nobles included in STEP for the Iceni.

On one final note, Silven has organized his hosted forum in the most intuitive and organized manner. The changes his modification makes to Rome II are obvious and detailed in his download threads for STIM and STEP. Silven is currently working hard on making his impressive overhaul compatible for Patch 7. Be sure to check the STIM forum here for more information on when the newest version will be released. I highly recommend this incredibly detailed modification.

Written by: Audacia.

Last edited by Audacia; December 13, 2013 at 10:37 AM.

Roma Surrectum II

Content Emeritus

Shogun II

Release: Enhanced Rise of the Samurai - Version 1.11
    Enhanced Rise of the Samurai - Version 1.11

Looking for something to spice up your Shogun 2? Are you tired of the same old gameplay? Look no further then because Enhanced Rise of the Samurai is the mod for you. This one-man mod, made by Ygge and a relative of "A Tale of the Heike and the Genji", aims to give players something new with various improvements and changes to the game. To differentiate the two mods from each other, this mod aims for an enhanced gameplay as opposed to being historical. Features include new units, new buildings and more interesting additions such as 20 more years of gameplay. Check it out and find out for yourselves. I wouldn't want to spoil it for you guys. Good work Ygge and here's hoping to see more from this mod in the future.

Here is a screenshot of one of the units in the mod.

Looks great right? I'd like to see these guys in action, thrusting away with their spears. Want to try it now? Here's the link to the mod.

Release: A Tale of the Heike and the Genji - Public Beta
    A Tale of the Heike and the Genji - Public Beta

A Tale of the Heike and the Genji is a mod that aims to enhance your Rise of the Samurai experience with a lot of new features. Made by Ygge, creator of "Enhanced Rise of the Samurai", this mod promises to be one to look out for. To point out an interesting fact, unlike it's relative, this mod has a working team helping Ygge in tweaking and improving the mod. With currently 9 new naval units, 19 new land units, new buildings, and Japanese-authentic unit names, I guarantee that many of you will want to try this one out yourselves. The mod also strives to gives us a more realistic diplomacy system and a more balanced gameplay. Add in to the mix the historical accuracy, the addition of 30 more years to gameplay, and a 12 turns per year script, you've got yourself a whole bundle of fun. Kudos to the team and great work so far.

Now that's a cool looking ship. I'd like to see what's she's made off. Interested in giving her a go? Here's the link.

Release: Davici's ROTS Realism +
    ROTS Realism +

ROTS Realism + is a wonderful modification created by DaVinci (with some work from Radious) that portrays a more realistic and historical view of the Gempei War. From what started as a sub-mod for Radious's mods it eventually evolved into its own modification. It focuses on the Minamotoand the Taira clans as these were the true powers vying for control while the Fujiwarw as in decline. Adding many features to the campaign, plus revamping the combat system, ROTS Realism + fulfills realism with enjoyable flavor.

At the start of the campaign you can choose one of the families of the factions fighting for control of the country. You will find that the clans have very distinct bonuses each influencing the play style of the player. Want to crush all your foes with you militaristic might? Maybe the Minamoto are right for you. Or maybe using diplomacy to create strong bonds between friendly clans to fight back your foes? Maybe the Tiara may help you. Or what of the Fujiwara, an old clan in decline? Maybe with a strong ruler you can bring them back to former glory. Each clans have there own set of difficulties and strengths. How will you handle them? The main two factions have their own sense of style of units as well: the Minamoto focusing on Bushido and the rising samurai class while the Taira focuses on Koryu. With these sets of units, the combat feels much more diverse and immerseful. Players are still free to play as the Fujiwara, but it will be a difficult road as the disadvantages at the time are better portrayed.

There are some also tweaks to the campaign to make it more enjoyable. Realm Divide has been delayed much more then vanilla to encourage diplomacy and alliances that were prone to the period. To prevent agent spamming, the caps have been reduced to one except for the Sou. This greatly increases the value for each agent so use them carefully. The campaign and combat has been completely overhauled to provide balance gameplay and create a better experience for the player. The factions will be much less aggressive, focusing on developing there clan and focusing on survival which is a much better representation of the period. The combat mechanics have also been revamped to create more one on one warrior fighting and historical unit formations/ deployments the better represent the combat of medieval Japan. Overall this mod creates much more enjoyable gameplay while adding many historical features the represents the Gempei War wonderfully.

Written by:♔The Black Knight♔​.

Release: Bad213Boy's Nanban Recruitment Mod
    Nanban Recruitment Mod

Ever dream of having a glorious fleet to patrol the seas of Japan? Or destroy your rivals in barrage of cannon fire? However, maybe you don't want the religious unrest of converting to Christianity in order to buy these items. Well a particular mod made by Bad213Boy has the potential to solve your dilemma!

Nanban Recruitment Mod allows players to bolster the ranks of their armies with Nanban technology like the Nanban trade ship or mighty cannon artillery. Buildings will be available once you build your way up, similar to how Christian nations unlock units. Despite being less experienced then their Christian counterparts, these units will make a fine addition to your army.

Here's a link to the mod for those who are interested. It is certainly a nice mod to add a bit of flavor to your next Shogun 2 campaign.

Last edited by Omnipotent-Q; December 03, 2013 at 04:40 PM.

Roma Surrectum II

Content Emeritus

Empire and Napoleon news

Release: The Great War 5.0 and 5.1
    Interview

A few months ago a team of modders released a project that was no less than three years in the making. It is a project that seemed beyond impossible. Many said it could not be done. Others were more optimistic. In any event, that team overcame seemingly all odds when they released The Great War 5.0, a complete and massive overhaul modification that brings the First World War to Napoleon: Total War. 5.0 includes an inordinate amount of new units, new models, new textures, and all new gameplay. It brings tanks, machine guns, and other revolutionary units to the battlefield. It offers a completely overhauled campaign that offers a degree of immersion like no other. Quite simply, it is a groundbreaking achievement. We at the Eagle Standard had an opportunity to talk to some of the modders who helped transform their ambition into something far greater. We hope that what they have to say offers a behind the scenes look into how The Great War 5.1 was created. Enjoy!

Aanker - Textures, General Modding

You are the primary creator of textures for The Great War. What exactly does texturing entail and why was it so important for 5.0?

Texturing is what we do when we want to put a "skin" on a model: when a model is made, it is basically just a 3D structure without any form of detailed surface. Of course, in any mod where you want to publish a more or less finished "product", you want to give your players properly textured models, or the greyish untextured models would stick out and ruin the game. So, for 5.0, that translated into a lot of texturing.

5.0 includes many, many textures. How detailed and historically accurate are the hundreds of textures found on infantrymen, artillery, tanks, and other various weapons and equipment?

Some textures are based on vanilla uniform models and are thus what I like to call "historical compromises". I texture them in such a way that they look and "feel" similar to the real uniforms (which I find in an illustrated book), but there may be incorrect details such as the shape of the cuffs and especially the collars. Artillery is generally quite historically textured - camouflage came in a great number of shades and patterns, however - but some of them might still need a bit of a refinement.

In your opinion, what is the most Earth-shattering aspect of 5.0 and how did the team go about creating such a feature?

What I like about 5.0 isn't so much one special feature or one exact thing we did: I like it because it feels - to me - as if it truly is a different game from vanilla N:TW.

King Sama - DB Editing, General Modding

Much of your work for 5.0 included database editing. Can you briefly describe what that entailed and why creating 5.0 was unique in that regard?

The database (db) tables are, as the name implies, a large group of data storages that the game reads and uses to construct the game. This ranges from creating units and editing their stats, to defining the size of in-battle cities, to assigning new models to their appropriate destinations. Since the DB plays this central role in communicating between the game engine and our custom content, the 5.0 DB relates to many areas of modding, with much of the team contributing at some point or another. It's also important to note the time spent designing and researching various implementations in the DB, as well as the supporting content such as text, icons, and of course, models.

What I imagine makes the 5.0 DB unique - in terms of warscape modding - is the sheer magnitude of the changes. Not many mods for Empire, Napoleon, or even Shogun 2 have come close. For example, all of the (many) units in 5.0 are completely from scratch, and so is the technology tree and the building chains. Aiming for the total conversion of Napoleon to a World War I game, this really is a requirement, in the same way that new models and maps have completely changed the look and feel of in-game combat.

What would you claim to be the most difficult obstacle you faced when creating 5.0?

There wasn't exactly one major obstacle, but the two major categories were random irritating bugs and periodic lack of motivation. The DB is especially prone to the former, although fortunately my team mates The Hedge Knight and Aanker have been extremely helpful in tracking down and solving these errors. One of our most recent ones involved a script that spawned starting units, which somehow interfered with the early field gun projectile, and crashed only in certain cases of use. Another (which causes MP crashes) is due to a mod pack inexplicably failing to activate for a minority of users. Such bugs are frustrating and momentum-breaking, but unfortunately they are a fact of life in modding, and presumably game development.

Can we expect more major updates in the future? If so, what new features might those include?

Yes, you can, although I won't give too much away. Let's just say our next planned update involves France, a lot of unimplemented models, and a better representation of colonialism. Right now, our main priority is to fix any remaining bugs and finish anything still unfinished, but stay tuned in our forum for future announcements.

The Hedge Knight - General Modding

What kind of role did you play in developing 5.0?

I never really had a defined role in the development of 5.0 so I ended up doing a lot of little things here and there in an attempt to bring the mod to life. I'm most proud of the time I spent entirely retexturing the frontend of the mod as well as removing defunct menu options in order to bring the main menu in line with the rest of the mod. I also spent a lot of time reworking particle effects to represent the modern weapons featured in 5.0. For example, machineguns use an effect I made which gives them the appearance of firing much faster than they actually do while shell explosions use fully 3D particle effects rather than the rather flat looking animated 2D effects used in vanilla.

On the gameplay side I added many small details such as WWI specific traits for characters in the campaign and over 200 historical characters like Haig and Luddendorf who appear in general pools for the player and the AI over the course of any campaign. I really love seeing things like the general Brusilov leading an army into Germany or seeing that I am fighting the Battle of Verdun. The inclusion of historic characters and places is a very unique aspect of 5.0. On the DB side both before and after the release I have done quite a lot of patching of minor details. For example, I have made sure rebels use WWI units and that every unit doesn't scream "Revolutionary Guards!" when selected in battle. It's very hard to say everything you have done in 2.5 years but I think that sums up most of it!

You have been a part of this project for a very long time now, dating back to around The Great War's inception. What aspect of the modification has come the farthest? What are you most impressed with in 5.0 having played so many different versions of the modification?

This version of The Great War obviously has a huge and very diverse array of very beautifully modelled and textured units. It's undeniable that 5.0 has taken great visual leaps compared to previous versions. The amount of detail put into the mod by B-Dizl, Aanker, Don Durandal and others is simply stunning. For me, though, the most important aspect of 5.0 is the balance and diversity of units. Though some players may point out that there are fewer unique units, there are more roles for units in this version than any other. We now have SMG's, shotguns, dedicated grenadiers and many more new unit types which all have a unique role to play on the battlefield. Though the mod is vastly improved in almost every way conceivable, for me it is the wonderful job King Sama has done to bring balance between the units that makes me want to play the mod over and over again.

B-DizL - Modeller

You are the primary creator of models for The Great War. How many models have you created for 5.0 and which were the most difficult to implement?

For 5.0 specifically, I have created 131 models. This includes all of the different LODs (levels of detail) required to make sure that the mod will run as smoothly as possible. Simply counting specific units like the Vickers machine gun, Lee Enfield rifle, and so on there are 45 models. Some models like the helmets and hats have 4 LODs while other models like the artillery only have 2 LODs. However, counting additional models that are either about to be in game or maybe somewhere down the road, there are many more.

Models play a major role in making the 5.0 experience so unique. Can you briefly explain to me the process by which you imported the various models into the game and what obstacles you faced in doing so?

Getting the models in game was actually the easy part, relatively speaking. The most difficult part was actually making them behave as they should in game and all the credit for this goes to Aanker, that guy is amazing. I must also give some credit to Panzerschreck for getting me in touch with Kungfuserge, whom I consider to be the master of modding. At first when I had know idea what I was doing I had asked Kungfuserge for help and, not knowing me and being very busy, he said he may not have time to help. Panzerschreck went out of his way to get me connected with Kungfuserge who was the first to get any of my models in game. Later on I received a lot of help from Primergy as well.

The process I go through to make the models and get them in game goes like this: first, I do a ton of research online and gather as much reference material as I can, like blueprints and pictures of the object from many different angles. I then load the blueprints or other reference pictures in Maya, which is a modeling program. After I get the model finished and UV mapped I export it as a .obj file which I load into Milkshape. In Milkeshape, I attach it to the bones of the model I want it to replace. Then, I load that into UU3D to assign the textures and save in the game's format. Finally, I put that into a .pack file and send it off to Aanker. Getting over the initial difficulties of figuring out how to get the model in game in the first place was the a very big obstacle, which as I mentioned I had a lot of help from my friends. But the biggest obstacle is actually finding the time to do the models in the first place, which can be very time consuming.

panzerschreck - Custom Maps

How many custom maps have you created for 5.0? What kind of unique features do your maps include?

I have created 24 custom maps for 5.0 with 86 new models including sandbags, trains, and barbed wire. All of them really help give 5.0 a World War I feeling. Some of my maps are generic, like an undetermined World War I landscape, while others are more historical, like the location of a precise battle. For those I worked with photos and maps of the real battlefield.

How difficult was it to implement trenches into your maps?

The challenge was to change enough of the landscape to turn it into a World War I battlefield. I had to learn modeling to create enough items, destroyed houses, and vehicles that reflected the World War I era. Creating the trenches and forts of the First World War were the most challenging due to all of the difficulties from the game itself. I had to work several weeks to find appropriate ways and tricks to make them work in the game.

For the future, I have plenty of ideas. My work will also go to the Middle East, Africa, and the Caucasus Some others models will follow too, including new vehicles, new destroyed buildings, and many more.

Written by: ​Audacia.

Release: Napoleon Empire Realism 2.9
    Napoleon Empire Realism 2.9

In the previous issue of the Eagle Standard we featured Empire Realism twice, but now it's time for Napoleon Empire Realism to shine, with the newly released version 2.9.

A lot of small changes have been made to the campaign. For example, buildings are far more affected by taxes. When they are taxed high, they produce higher income, but it stagnates their growth, so you lose in the long term. Unit movement is more dependent on terrain, with roads making your units reach the destination fast. With that in mind, if you go through rough terrain your units will spend a lot of time reaching the target. It's perfect for defenders, as it gives much needed time to beat back the invasion.

This version additionally works to improve morale and cohesion. Unit fire rate is very fast, but only in the beginning as the speed reduces with every round fired. Thus, it's not wise to send exhausted units against fresh, untouched enemy lines. The best option is to attack with melee, since it creates total chaos. Disordered units break quite easily, so that cavalry can then play its main role, namely, breaking the enemy with a charge and pursuing it afterwards. Also, remember to keep your experienced units safe from slaughter, as it's harder to get experience.

To make the naval battles more realistic, the newest version of Napoleon Realism changes maneuverability, turn ratio, speed and ship mass. Ships of the line are now more important in battles, their hulls are stronger and they reduce morale of different ship types, which is only realistic. Who wouldn't be scared to see a massive eighty gun ship of the line appear in front of you, while you command a mere sloop.

Like its counterpart for Empire: Total War, this mod uses a 3:1 scale for battles. If someone missed what we covered in the previous issue, a 3:1 scale simply represents 1 soldier on the field as 3 real life soldiers and, respectively, 1 meter as 3 meters in real life. Auto-resolve now does less damage to AI, as it is like a withdrawal battle, not a death match. Some units even return to their army, as soldiers may have simply been wounded.

For more information on this mod and to download it pay a visit here.

Written by: Heavy Weapons Guy.

Release: Supply and Demand v1.0
    Supply and Demand v1.0

The Supply and Demand mod, as you can already tell from its title, adds attrition to Empire: Total War. All armies which are located in the enemy territory suffer an attrition penalty, so be sure to not spend a lot of time there and be quick with your conquests, otherwise it can significantly weaken your army's strength.

For example you can see attrition in action here:

On the top of that, you can no longer replenish your armies in hostile territories. But on the bright side, you can build forts anywhere you wish, even in the heart of your enemy's lands and you can replenish your troops there. This might come in handy if you want to succeed in what Napoleon failed at, that is to tame the Russian bear.

See another example of attrition in action here:

It's also worth mentioning that the AI doesn't suffer any attrition as of yet, since it's alien to the concept. However, let's hope the team will find a way in the future to add attrition to the AI. To fully enjoy the wondrous consequences of attrition click here!

Release: Napoleonic Total War III 3.1
    Napoleonic Total War III 3.1

If you enjoy dominating Europe with your friends, or want to have a competitive battle with them, then the third version of Napoleonic Total War is surely meant for you. But if you prefer single player this mod is still worth a try, because it adds a lot of new features which aren't necessarily exclusive to multiplayer. It features 535 units, 135 maps, 19 factions and 20 historical battles. Many maps have been revised and improved from version 2 and new ones have been added. Maps feature mud, ploughed fields, roads and road networks, where you can mobilize units and even control up to 80 of them! Maps are of 4 types. Classic is does not make any changes to vanilla battles. In LoC (Line of Communications) the player fights for control of buildings with a 60 minute timer, and the player has to either defend or attack depending on how's the battle going. Attack-Defend already speaks for itself, as there's a set defender and attacker. The last type allows the player to fight on historical maps. Some of the historical battles include the Battle of Friedland (1807), the Battle of Raszyn (1809), and the Battle of Montmirail (1814).

Hard work has been done to remake uniforms and make them look more historical. You can see some examples here:

Austrian artillery units

New Prussian uniforms

New Bavarian units with historically correct helmets

The modification includes a new single player campaign, which starts in August of 1805. It features 23 playable factions: 6 major and 17 minor. It also includes an interesting feature that requires the construction of higher quality buildings in order to recruit advanced units. For example, barracks serve to recruit basics units, like line infantry and cavalry. To recruit veterans and grenadiers, you need to have a drill school, while a staff college allows you to recruit guards and all weaker type of units. Manpower is represented by each faction’s limitation on unit numbers. Of course, it's important not to forget about the improved BAI and CAI that this modification aims to provide.

Naval battles are also improved thanks to Commodore Wesley's Naval Mod, which is originally Sharp's mod, but greatly improved.

Lastly, the makers of Napoleonic Total War III also created Wars in the Americas, a stand-alone mod focusing on the war of 1812 between the United States and Britain, and South American revolts against Spanish rule. Besides the new maps, companies are represented by 120 units, squadrons by 80, and musketry by as little as 200 and as most as 300. Units are more likely to break and run away from the heat of battle, but are faster to regain their morale and return to the field. When playing this mod, it's also advisable to keep your units close to each other and not to divide them, otherwise they cannot receive a morale boost. The campaign is currently in the beta stage, but the team is working hard to prepare it for release.

For more information and to download this great mod, take a visit here!

Release: Masters of Europe
    Masters of Europe

After plenty of hard work the creators of Napoleon: Total War: Masters of Europe have released new updates focusing on Prussia and Italy. Prussia was an important faction to completely overhaul in order to achieve historical accuracy. The Napoleonic campaign starts in 1805, but the original Prussian uniforms were from 1808 and later. In addition, Masters of Europe features the large bicorne for cavalry and new textures for hussars. However, the Prussian army will not retain the same gear throughout the entire campaigns, for in 1808 their uniforms will change to reflect historical accuracy. Besides these visual changes, new units like Silesian National Cavalry enrich this incredibly detailed modification.

Here's some stellar screenshots:

The new 1808 Prussian uniforms:

The new Grenadier casket:

Now let's move to Italy. Masters of Europe features more than 100 overhauled units for the Italian factions, only recruitable in the Italian regions, with their own uniforms and icons. While the Italian language was already featured in the original game, some sentences were inadequate, so Sirlion recorded new voices to correct any errors and add more flavor to them. These units also speak Italian if they are recruited by another faction. As we did with the Prussian changes, let's take a closer look at how Masters of Europe overhauls the Italian factions. The Italian Kingdom can recruit its special units in all regions, while other factions can recruit these units mostly in Lombardia. The unit roster now includes units such as Cheval with a Czapka, Bersaglieri and Voltigeur. Since Italy changed their uniforms in 1806 from green to white, Steph decided to feature only one period for the units. With Naples and Sicily arises a unique situation, since the "Kingdom of Two Sicilies" essentially had two parts. Naples fell to France, while Sicily remained independent. The creators of Masters of Europe solve this dilemma by dividing the Kingdom into two factions, both with their owns units and uniforms. Nonetheless, to represent some kind of unity, Naples, France and French allies can recruit Neapolitan units in both places, and the same goes for Sicily and coalition members with Sicilian units. Naples had two periods of distinct uniforms, the second emerging in 1812. The creators of Masters of Europe represent this with various changes, like when Guardie d'Onore change to Guardie del Corpo. As for Sicily, it starts with interesting units, and a specific hat, as seen here:

In addition, the Guardie del Corpo for Naples:

When Piedmont fell to France, the king of Sardinia was exiled on his island with only one regiment. However, in 1814 the army was reorganized, so for gameplay's sake Sardinia uses units of this time period. Sadly there isn't a lot of information of Papal States' army of this period, but pictures were found for 1790s and 1816, so most of the units are based on the latter date. Savoy and Venice are emergent factions. The former one's units are very similar to Sardinia's, but to avoid them being clones, Savoy gets red and white colors based on their flag. Venetia's units on the other hand are based on the time period when they still enjoyed independence.

Here are more examples of Italian units:

Sardinian units:

Swiss Guard for the Papal States:

However, Italy and Prussia are not the only regions that get some love in Masters of Europe. The units of minor German factions like Bavaria and Wurttemberg are altered as well! Bavarian units get a specific new hat for their units. Wurttemberg units, on the other hand, are changed twice based on timeframe.

Here are some more fine screenshots:

For more info about the mod itself, visit its main thread here and don't forgot to download!

Last edited by Audacia; December 06, 2013 at 01:51 PM.

Roma Surrectum II

Content Emeritus

Medieval II News

Preview: Dragondawn Total War
    Dragondawn: Total War Selediri Preview

While I often succumb to the desire to play a historical mod like Europa Barbarorum, sometimes I have a hankering for something with more elves in it. Thanks to the creative energy of the Total War Center's modders, I am able to satisfy this craving in a way that just isn't possible with many other games. Let me tell you about Dragondawn: Total War, which is shaping up to be one of my most anticipated mods for Medieval II: Total War. Dragondawn is not a typical fantasy world; you won't find the usual 'goblins and demons are invading, also we have busty elf women and dwarves drinking beer' trope here. Dwarves? Sure, they're present in the mod. Bandits? You betcha. Elves? Several kinds. The Selediri elves, who live in a desert, are the latest to have been previewed.

One word: manticores.

Each unit has been made mainly, if not entirely, from scratch, crafted in loving detail by Squeaks. Each unit has significant backstory to situate it in the world of Dragondawn. The Jackalweirds are a particular favorite of mine!

Head over to the Dragondawn forums to out the Selediri unit and campaign preview.
    Written by Chloe.

Preview: Tsardoms: Total War
    Tsardoms: Total War Preview

If you've been keeping track of historical mods for Medieval II, chances are that Tsardoms has already caught your eye a few times. While things may have seemed quiet until now, the team is back with a vengeance. Following an announcement of new team members (including a new team leader--mega congrats to Hrobatos!), the Tsardoms team presents a new game plan for the mod's release. The mod will be released in stages: custom battle, campaign, and full campaign; by releasing parts of the mod in several phases, the Tsardoms team will whet our appetites for epic battles while receiving critical feedback from fans, allowing team members to perfect their creation.

The team has also shown us a few intriguing shots of their latest work. I recommend you finish any work you have to get done before heading over to the thread; I am still gawking at this campaign screenshot. That mini-map! That campaign map! That UI!

Check out the news thread here.
    Written by Chloe.

Roma Surrectum II

Content Emeritus

Eras News
    Eras: Roma Surrectum 2.6 Patch Released
    Roma Surrectum 2.6 Patch Released

With the release of Total War: Rome II in everyone's hearts and minds, it is only appropriate that those of us who can not yet play the game look towards other titles in the series with which to sate our lust for blood. It is only natural for us to turn to one of the earlier games in the series, Rome: Total War, to do so. Years after its initial release, the discussion forums are still bustling with activity, and the famed modders of Total War Center are still providing quality content for the community to enjoy. Those who have finished a major release continue to update their work with patches and support, and the Roma Surrectum II team is no exception! Not completely satisfied with their already enormous mod, full of aesthetically pleasing units and copious amounts of historical research, have continued expanding the mod and removing any bugs still present. The Roman trait system has been fine-tuned; pathfinding in Celtic hillforts has been fixed; a new loyalty system has been added for the Seleucid Empire. Check out the full list of changes (and be sure to download!) here.
    Written by: Chloe.

Release: Europe 270 BC II
    Europe 270 BC II

Europe 270 BC II is a campaign mod for Rome Total War by webbird. The mod's concept is to improve the vanilla campaign gameplay with more historical and natural perspective. The mod features a large campaign map with an accurate earth surface compared to the real world, with new high quality textures for both campaign and battle maps as well. In addition, the map also has 195 total regions to fight over! The campaign itself introduces us a complete new set of historical natural disasters, such as Earthquakes, Tsunamis and Vulcan eruptions.

As for units, they are replaced with far better ones in high quality textures (for all factions!). These units are ready to fight for you in the widely known Roma Surrectum II environment and in webbird's custom sky, weather and grass textures!

Spoiler for Some previews

Read more and download here!
    Written by: Clagius.

Last edited by Audacia; December 06, 2013 at 02:05 PM.

Roma Surrectum II

Content Emeritus

The best publication for Total War and modding news!

List of Contributors
    Directors of Content
    Omnipotent-Q
    StealthFox

Chief Editor
    Audacia

Reporters
    ImperialAquila
    The Black Knight
    Heavy Weapons Guy
    Clagius
    Old Dragoon

Guest Reporters
    Chloe

Last edited by Audacia; December 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM.

Roma Surrectum II