Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Modding Summit announced : 3rd of March

Default Re: Modding Summit announced : late January

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    If by "didn't produce anything substantial" you mean "released tools that could edit almost every aspect of the game", then I fully agree with you.

Please do go mod Paradox or Bethesda games instead... you clearly aren't up to date on the Total War modding scene my friend.
    Released tools that could edit every aspect of the game?

Can't tell if being serious or being facetious.... Because I'd love to see a mod tool that can edit the Shogun II campaign map the way we can with Rome or M2.
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Future Filmmaker View Post

Can't tell if being serious or being facetious.... Because I'd love to see a mod tool that can edit the Shogun II campaign map the way we can with Rome or M2.
    You can. It's part of the modding tool set, in Steam -> Library -> Tools -> Shogun 2: Total War - Assembly Kit

Are you seriously arguing against the fact that they exist lol? Like I said, you're clearly pretty clueless as to current modding affairs as you don't even know what tools exist.

Why would anyone waste their time modding this greasy slop? Nobody wants mods for this reeker.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Mitch already replied but the tools gives you the ability to edit more than the old engine.

No disrespect to modders but from my opinions why this isn't utilized is that the Gen-X modders have retired, Gen-Y modders still prefer not to go out of their comfort zone and migrate to warscape and Gen-Z are made up of mod users and mod worshippers.

If this things continuing then even if CA released the source code itself nothing will happen.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

What someone explain, and it is perhaps a good reason of the little modding community arout Shogun, is perhaps because Shogun is uninteresting for many players and modders (choice of the civilisation), so there isn't so much will to devellop mod on this one (and that is not true for empire or napoleon). So there is I think some hope, when I seee that many modders have returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Arandir Tur-Anion View Post
    What someone explain, and it is perhaps a good reason of the little modding community arout Shogun, is perhaps because Shogun is uninteresting for many players and modders (choice of the civilisation), so there isn't so much will to devellop mod on this one (and that is not true for empire or napoleon). So there is I think some hope, when I seee that many modders have returned.
    Well if we're talking about modding maps (which is possible with the toolkit) then it doesn't matter what the base game era is about. At the very least one can recreate European theatre, remake Napoleon (or pre-post Napoleon) and use features existing in FOTS as it's about the same era.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Maybe this mod : Imjin mod (Korea campaign)
    Post #102 : Korean map - 3ds max - work in progress
    Post #107 : Korean map - campaign - work in progress

You can also have a look to this mod : Expanded Japan mod (83 new regions, 86 new factions)

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Well if we're talking about modding maps (which is possible with the toolkit) then it doesn't matter what the base game era is about. At the very least one can recreate European theatre, remake Napoleon (or pre-post Napoleon) and use features existing in FOTS as it's about the same era.
    Sadly, it's not that easy.
    Creating a European theatre means to create buildings, trees, etc., and we have some problem with CS2 exporter for buildings.
    Moreover, some missing features are annoying, such as having no possibility to exchange regions or, possibly, having no waving flags (maybe a detail, but I consider it as immersion breaking in battles).
    So, we have still several problems.

On the other hand, I consider FotS as a very good base for a WWI mod.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

It's not a question of easy or not but possible or not.

People have been saying it was easy to create new map for RTW but for all experiences I have with that game I have never manage to create my own map on my own, so it's not easy for me too.

Ehh CA will release modding summit, after 5 month after game release... after this 5 month, 90% of R2 players will forget about game - lot of less mods. Thanks CA, for even try to kill modding.. ehh

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Easy was not exactly the right word.
    I would mean that, for example, porting a XVIIIth century European mod would hit some problems such as the impossibility to exchange regions or the use of "static" falgs instead of waving one in battle.
    This can be seen as minor problems, but it can be immersion or even gameplay breaker.
    So, this is the answer to the question that is not easy

Quote Originally Posted by legoras View Post
    Ehh CA will release modding summit, after 5 month after game release... after this 5 month, 90% of R2 players will forget about game - lot of less mods. Thanks CA, for even try to kill modding.. ehh
    The Modding Summit was first intended during August, but obviously CA didn't have time to organize it, very likely rushing to work on TW:R2...
    Then, they have been quite... busy... after TW:R2 release, gods know why
    A new date was proposed, early December, but, if we believe CA, they have received many applications, so, they have to reconsider the organization of the modding summit and now propose late January.

Moreover, you have to take into account that working on mods on an unstable product such as TW:R2, still being patched, and more or less "heavily" patched, its not a real problem that Modding Summit has been postponed.
    It could give us some time to organize ourselves, listing questions about TW:R2 modding and TW:S2's Assembly Kit feedback.
    Five months is still less than the 2 years modders has waited for TW:S2 modding tools and even better as ETW modding tools we have never seen...

Finally, CA will be judge on acts and facts.
    So, wait and see.
    Last edited by wangrin; December 04, 2013 at 03:28 AM.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    At the very least one can recreate European theatre, remake Napoleon (or pre-post Napoleon) and use features existing in FOTS as it's about the same era.
    Modders are also humans: we all dislike wasting time on something that may not be productive.
    Shogun II may be fully moddable, but thats not a big enough incentive to use an old engine/game and completely recreate a game, particularly if CA doesnt announce what expansions/new TW title they will produce years in advance.

For example if the Third Age mod had been in development and CA announced they were going to do a LoTR Total War... thats like the worst nightmare a modder can imagine I think Not to add everything wangrin said about the reality of modding, and the fact that the modding tools of S2 have been released when the game was very old.

Everything would be much simpler if the game was released WITH the modding tools already in...

Quote Originally Posted by wangrin View Post
    The Modding Summit was first intended during August.
    And it seems like it was possibly going to happen too bad CA was too busy preparing their little release surprise.

Who cares about modding a crap game that provides not much fun at all? Cant be many left...
    There was a time i was really into TW and started modding and posting here. This times are long gone...
    I feel cheated by CA and they are on my blacklist. I wont support them in anyway whatsoever anymore.
    Its a shame what TW turned into and now as the game is total bs they care about modders.
    They recognized only the few last brave modders out there can save their game and turn it into something worth playing!

Anyway would be hilarious if there is a modding summit and nobody would come to visit it
    Don't smoke the seed

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

That is great Agostinos but a lot of people enjoy the game.

Regarding FF and his claim the campaign map in Shogun II cannot be modded. He is wrong. Obviously, it can be modded. New regions can be added. No it is not simple to do. It takes a bit more skill than in M2 and Rome but that is an evolution of tools. But they greatest feature is the amount of new regions which can be added. There is no limit. None that anyone knows about. So unlike Rome 1 or M2 you can create more than 199 regions. That beats M2 mods.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Can someone please explain to me the nessecity of this gathering?
    RTW I and M2TW games had some tools made by modders but M2TW atleast had a CA tool to help modding.
    IF CA/SEGA realy wishes to donate to modding community some modding tools could do so with a huge announcement that would transform the developers to our heros instantlly!
    In my prospective modding summit means "Me CA bribe some well known modders to reduse the rest ones complains by the fact that i WONT release any real modding tool EVER"...
    MY TWO CENTS....
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

I am wondering if CA would be willingly to modify a few minor files in RTW's .exe to allow modders to increase unit limit, unit size limit and faction limit. That alone would be of great help for the modders who are working on RTW and M2TW mods.

Quote Originally Posted by ray243 View Post
    I am wondering if CA would be willingly to modify a few minor files in RTW's .exe to allow modders to increase unit limit, unit size limit and faction limit. That alone would be of great help for the modders who are working on RTW and M2TW mods.

That would be great. I would buy 5 more copies of every Total War game and every DLC if they did this. Also, a patch to optimize all their games. Total War games are terribly optimized. You can never play a big battle without serious lag issues.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Can someone please explain to me the nessecity of this gathering?
    RTW I and M2TW games had some tools made by modders but M2TW atleast had a CA tool to help modding.
    IF CA/SEGA realy wishes to donate to modding community some modding tools could do so with a huge announcement that would transform the developers to our heros instantlly!
    In my prospective modding summit means "Me CA bribe some well known modders to reduse the rest ones complains by the fact that i WONT release any real modding tool EVER"...
    MY TWO CENTS....
    Free ice creams and pizzas. It's for publicity mainly, of which they will probably announce something like modding tools. It's marketing. They can just announce and release something but the impact will be much greater if they include someone who probably will be using a lot about it. No conspiracies there, no dirty tricks, just how the real world works.

Optio82's Avatar Foederatus

I dislike the constant patching and the sorry state of several factors in TW:Rome2; such as the AI, Siege warfare, blobbing, no Family Tree, etc.

But overall I love the game. It took me all of a half-hour to figure out how to mod unit sizes, armor/weapon stats, faction limits, edict limits, fast research, fast building, younger generals, more food output, etc. using available tools easily found here on TWC like Pack File Manager. It took some tinkering and trial and error and digging around but wasn't that complicated and the effort was satisfying because I made the game more how I wanted it (e.g. a powerful Roman Empire).

I agree the reason so many of us mod this game or even want to play it is because the historical era/civs are exciting and compelling. Shoguns and samurai not so much.

CA failed overall without doubt with this game (i.e. graphic issues, over priced, etc). But there is a lot of whining and moaning too that is unnecessary. Radious, Hellbent, Dresden and others have made some really great mods that actually make this game playable and fun. It is not perfect of course. But with a mix of the great modders' mods and my own few mods - I like this game a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by MathiasOfAthens View Post
    Regarding FF and his claim the campaign map in Shogun II cannot be modded. He is wrong. Obviously, it can be modded. New regions can be added. No it is not simple to do. It takes a bit more skill than in M2 and Rome but that is an evolution of tools. But they greatest feature is the amount of new regions which can be added. There is no limit. None that anyone knows about. So unlike Rome 1 or M2 you can create more than 199 regions. That beats M2 mods.
    None of the warscape mods have come close to what we could do with previous titles, despite the lack of hard coded region limit. Even an amateur like I could do map editing in M2. The majority of mod downloads were from Rome and Medieval 2. I never made the claim that campaign map could not be edited. I said that it could not be modded the way you could in Rome and Medieval 2. While anyone can claim that you can theoreticaly do anything with the tools present, a lack of intuitiveness with the campaign tools (the units and battle map mod-ability is a different story) has made that effort somewhat redundant because it is too difficult to rebuild fundamentally. As of yet anyway. I'll gladly retract my skepticism of what can be accomplished from another summit if what is released is more intuitive.
    Last edited by Admiral Piett; December 26, 2013 at 08:13 AM.
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

None of the warscape mods have come close to what we could do with previous titles, despite the lack of hard coded region limit. Even an amateur like I could do map editing in M2. The majority of mod downloads were from Rome and Medieval 2. I never made the claim that campaign map could not be edited. I said that it could not be modded the way you could in Rome and Medieval 2. While anyone can claim that you can theoreticaly do anything with the tools present, a lack of intuitiveness with the campaign tools (the units and battle map mod-ability is a different story) has made that effort somewhat redundant because it is too difficult to rebuild fundamentally. As of yet anyway. I'll gladly retract my skepticism of what can be accomplished from another summit if what is released is more intuitive.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...split-a-region

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ew-factions%29

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ea-campaign%29

Uanime5 have done a lot for shogun 2, but have never really been acknowledge for it....

oh and Spartan warrior!

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ign-map/page18
    Last edited by Karnil Vark Khaitan; December 26, 2013 at 10:45 AM.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on