Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Issues with RTW on newer PC's....

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Default Re: Issues with RTW on newer PC's....

Yes, good point.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Icon1 Re: Issues with RTW on newer PC's....

Thank you guys for responding. Actually though, I had all my mods outside both program files, in their own game file, C:\Games. If I'd been thinking, I should have run another restore with modding files in the program files to see if that would have made any difference. But I've already put a lot of time back into reinstalling and setting my various mods how I want them.
    However, I'm sure the day will come when I'll need to use restore again and I'll be forced to test where the files may or may not be safe.
    Need your Rome itch scratched. Head for Total War: eras Forum. Your Empire Beckons.
    RS2,EB1,RTR,SPQR,Diadochi,RTH,Troy,IBFD,Hegemonia City States,77BC FRRE,more.
    EB2 needs modders. click The EBII Recruitment thread, mod Medieval 2 for ancient eras.
    (Now a community service announcement) Feel you're being cheated and deceived by bad game releases? Let us agree, no preorders from any company known to release incomplete games. Wait for the game to come out to decide. This will eventually cut down on bad releases and reduce forums that pit fellow gamers against one another.

Hey guys, I just upgraded my computer and having problems with everything TW related, including RS 2.5. After about 5 minutes into a battle I get a CTD, this happens every single time! I also have the same problem with Rome 2 and Shogun 2. Is there any common theme here? RTW uses a different engine right? I'm assuming it's the same issue causing the CTD on all games though since it always happens about the same time into the battle which I find really strange. Is this a Direct X 11 issue maybe? I honestly can't recall what version of Direct X I was using with the last machine.

The new machine's specs are:

Intel I7 4770 3.4 GHz
    MSI-7845 Motherboard
    Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
    8 GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 650 with 2 GB RAM

Pretty sure all my drivers are up to date and all that. If anyone has any insight on this I would appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

It sounds like you have a 'bigger' problem with the PC than those 3 games.....

I suggest concentrating on Rome 2 (or perhaps Shogun, but I have no experience with that) first; for my PC that I am sat at now has no problem at all with Rome 2 and it has similar specs, although an AMD chip.

Are you running with maxed out game specs? Does your GeForce Experience optimisation tool recommend any lowering? My first best guess is that you are over-stressing your graphics and that's why it's shutting down. As it's an upgraded/(new?) PC I would look at the air-flow over your graphics card, the ambient temperature and whether it's being cooled correctly. Can you access the temperature profiles?
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    Mike,

It sounds like you have a 'bigger' problem with the PC than those 3 games.....

I suggest concentrating on Rome 2 (or perhaps Shogun, but I have no experience with that) first; for my PC that I am sat at now has no problem at all with Rome 2 and it has similar specs, although an AMD chip.

Are you running with maxed out game specs? Does your GeForce Experience optimisation tool recommend any lowering? My first best guess is that you are over-stressing your graphics and that's why it's shutting down. As it's an upgraded/(new?) PC I would look at the air-flow over your graphics card, the ambient temperature and whether it's being cooled correctly. Can you access the temperature profiles?
    I'll take a look at the temperature profile but I didn't think that should really be an issue. I have played around with the performance vs. quality settings on the control panel but that doesn't seem to have an impact. My older machine (3.5 years old) ran RS2 without much problem with most of the settings at max or nearly max with no issues so I figured the new one should be able to run everything maxed out without breaking a sweat. My frame rate is great and the battles run very smooth with everything on max right up until it crashes. Maybe I'm just expecting too much out of it though. Are there any settings in particular that might cause this?

I bought this machine pretty much for TW and that's the only thing I'm having an issue with, how's that for irony?

Thanks for the help!

Mike

neep's Avatar Tiro

I believe the similarities in actual code between RTR + RS2 and Rome2 would be pretty low, so it's doubtful that it's specifically game related.

Intel i7s should throttle back if the temperature gets too high, so that shouldn't be an issue.
    8G of main memory should be enough - but of course it depends on what you have running at the same time.
    GTX 650 + 2G should also be fine.

Check your memory usage during playtime
    Check your temperatures
    Check where you've installed the game
    Check if your RS2 is able to use more than 2G of memory - there's a method to access 4G That Shall Not Be Named (search Google for Large Address Aware patch)

Well, basically check all the items from page 1

If you've already checked that lower settings produces the same result...then..it's not a limitation in your hardware's abilities
    Bad memory sticks perhaps ?

I updated the GTX 650 driver with the new Beta from NVidia as well as my MB drivers and I was able to get through a whole battle on Rome 2 without crashing. Still no joy on RTW/RS2 though, crashing after a few minutes into the battle, didn't get a chance to check on Shogun 2 yet.

This weekend I'm going to re-seat the video board and memory sticks to see if that has any impact on the problem.

Tyblitz's Avatar Foederatus

For future reference I will post this quote I stumbled upon when looking to resolve RTW CTD's right before and after battles.
    I have found that this solution actually worked for me for RS II without even having to wait 10-15 seconds after battle, I've only had one CTD since after playing for 2-3 hours in a row or so.
    I have a laptop with a core i7 u4500 so it also works for multi-threaded CPU.

From TheAges on forums.totalwar.org, original link here: http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...ter-battle-CTD

I also experienced after battle CTDs quite often. My system has 8GB RAM. I am using Vista x64. Rome therefore runs in 32 emulation mode ('WOW64'). I use the BI - exe.

A standard 32Bit program on a 32Bit OS can only use 2GB ('User RAM') The rest is for system. On Windows Server 2003 there is a recommendation to alter the boot.ini to set the ratio to 3:1 instead of 2:2 for applications like Exchange Server 2003, which can use more than 2GB. In the header of each exe-file there is an entry specifying if the program can use more then 2GB.

A previous poster in this thread suggensted that the after battle CTDs are due to memory management problems. That seems to be true.

Some time ago in some forum thread I can't remember (I can't even remember which game it concerned) I stumbled over a comment, that it could be generally useful to set the exe-file to be able to use >2GB RAM when using Vista 64 or Windows XP x64.

So I tried that on the BI-exe. The result was, that after battle CTDs occur much, much fewer times.

So I suggest that everyone who is plagued by after battle CTDs and uses a 64Bit Windows tries the same. The following instructions are based on using the BI-exe. But it should also work with RomeTW.exe and RomeTW-ALX.exe.
    1. get 'Explorer Suite' from www.ntcore.com (freeware)
    2. install it
    3. make a copy of RomeTW-BI.exe'
    3. right click on 'RomeTW-BI.exe'
    4. choose 'Open with CFF Explorer'
    5. in the left tree click on 'File Header'
    6. in the right window click on 'click here' in the 'Characteristics' row
    7. in the appearing window check the box in the line 'App can handle >2gb address space'
    8. click 'OK' - button
    9. click on 'save' icon
    10. Run the game as usual.

For the following you really should know what you are doing.
    I have not tried this on Windows XP 32Bit. I don't know if the alteration of the file header alone would work on that OS (or Vista32). I guess on XP32 you would additionally have to add the '/3GB' and '/USERVA=2990' switches to the line in the boot.ini that starts your Windows XP (eg:'multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS=" Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /3GB /USERVA=2990'
    (change is in bold characters)

TAKE CARE. Altering the boot.ini may prevent your OS from starting. Before altering it you should make a copy of the boot.ini and install the recovery console that comes with Windows XP to be able to copy your save of boot.ini back in case the OS won't start after the alteration. Or you could duplicate the 'multi...' line in the section [operating systems] of the boot.ini and enable the boot menu to be displayed when booting the OS.

sample boot.ini:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=15
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB /USERVA=2990
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

mike , do you have norton antivirus?

Quote Originally Posted by Starship Trooper View Post
    I updated the GTX 650 driver with the new Beta from NVidia as well as my MB drivers and I was able to get through a whole battle on Rome 2 without crashing. Still no joy on RTW/RS2 though, crashing after a few minutes into the battle, didn't get a chance to check on Shogun 2 yet.

This weekend I'm going to re-seat the video board and memory sticks to see if that has any impact on the problem.
    Does it work?
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

in my opinion, i repeat, he has norton antivirus/ equivalent, which makes the game crash, so before doing strange moves, i would tell the antivirus not to scan the RS2 folder

"9. Windows8 is causing some issues for players due to a suspected incompatibility of RTW with DirectX11. It is apparently 'subtle', but the problem seems to get exponentially worse as campaigns progress. If you are having random or frequent crashes in Windows8, the solution 'appears' to be to extract the DirectX9.0c files from the RTW\BI CD's (do not try to install them!), and then copy them all into the RTW folder. This way, RTW seems to find what it wants first in its own folder. This is just a 'suspicion' right now, and appears to be the answer, but people are testing this, and it has solved their issues. Here is a download link for the files:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_directx/"

I have tried this, but I see that the extracted are compressed files. I have extracted them and I see like 1000 files. I have copied all of them and I can't open the game. Could you explain all the steps please?

Tiro

When you install RTW on a pc with windows 8, a folder called "DirectX" appears inside the RTW folder. You can copy this folder to the RSII folder.
    Proud winner of the first XCmas contest of the Extended Cultures mod (XC)
    “War does not determine who is right - only who is left.” – Bertrand Russell
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” – Edmund Burke
    “Where they burn books, they will ultimately burn people also.” – Heinrich Heine
    "You know you're a history fan when you still get upset thinking about the Library of Alexandria." – unknown

It would really make my day if this is remade for M2TW. I'm playing DBM to get my classical era fix, and it is very stable, but is no where as exhaustive as RS2.

Finch's Avatar is Deadpool
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Aigre View Post
    It would really make my day if this is remade for M2TW. I'm playing DBM to get my classical era fix, and it is very stable, but is no where as exhaustive as RS2.
    I would agree with what you say, if only it was that easy i would have done it myself, keep in mind though that this was developed literally years in the making and that would take another 2 years give or take to port this to M2TW.

Quote Originally Posted by Aigre View Post
    check out europa barborum II mate

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...-Barbarorum-II

Does resolution affect performance because when I run it at 1280x720 it runs a lot faster than 1600x900? This happens with all mods and the vanilla Rome Total War game itself. Also I run at all high except for vegetation (low) and grass (none).

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Yes, resolution can greatly affect performance.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Does anyone know if the SPQR banners can be fixed? I am replying in this thread because it is the most recent (active) one.

I encountered two cavalry units in my campaign using the SPQR banner unjustly:

1. Sacred band of Astarte.
    2. Boiotian Xysterophoi.

I hope the makers of this mod can explain to me why this happens? If there is possibility, how can I change those banners into the correct ones for those cavalry?

Greetings,

P1991

P.S: I still enjoy the mod VERY much. The battle are far more epic than in Rome II and it handles more units than the newer game. Thank you RS2 team!
    Last edited by Poniatowski1991; March 25, 2015 at 11:03 AM.
    He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts...for support rather than illumination.

Why can't you explain how to use more ram? Is it something with exe editing? Or is it with memory editing and you don't ant the Rome Total Realism team to know?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast