Europe
August 5 – at the death of his brother, William II, Henry I Beauclerc becomes King of England. The power of the new monarch is ill-assured and to mollify the barons he has to grant them the Charter of Liberties, one of the first examples of written constitution in Europe.August 30 – after the failure of the Council of Liubech in 1097, the Congress of Vytechev establishes peace and the feudal system in Kievan Rus, the princes come to an agreement to share the country between them and Sviatopolk II of Kiev becomes the first Grand Prince.
September 16 – the Almoravid army defeats Castellan troops at the battle of Malagón (near today's Ciudad Real).September 23 – at the death of William II, his adversary in the investiture controversy, Anselm, the exiled archbishop of Canterburyreturns to England.
October 18Peter I of Aragon conquers Barbastro (North) from the hands of the Almoravids.November 18 – opening of the council of Poitier which is soon forcibly closed by the duke of Aquitaine, William IX, as the bishops were about to excommunicate once more the king of France, Philip I.
December 25Philip I of France associates his son to the government of the realm.
In
Iceland, the Althing decides that the laws should be transferred to a written form.
Intense urban activity in north and central Europe:
Kalmar (Kungälv) and Varberg (Sweden) are chartered creation of the cities ofAach (southern Germany) and Nakléřov (in Bohemia, German: Nollendorf) and construction of the castle of Burgg Eppstein (central Germany).
Philip I of France conquers the Vexin area and adds the city of Bourges and the province of Berry to his estate

Religion
Dagobert of Pisa becomes Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem.
At the death of
antipope Clement III, the supporters of the Holy Roman Emperor in Rome choose Theodoric as his successor.
Frederick I of Schwarzburg becomes archbishop of Cologne and begins the construction of the castle of Volmarstein.
Foundation of the abbey near
Sankt Georgen am Längsee (Austria).
Foundation of the Diocese of
Faroe (approx.)

Technology
Checkers is invented (approximate date).

Births
May 23Emperor Qinzong of China (d. 1161)
Mary and Eliza Chulkhurst, English conjoined twins (d. 1134)
Gilbert de Clare, 1st Earl of Pembroke (d. 1148)

Deaths
January 8Antipope Clement III
February 23Emperor Zhezong of China (b. 1077)
July 18Godfrey of Bouillon, King of Jerusalem
July 23Warner of Grez, crusader, relative of Godfrey
August 2William II of England
September 16Bernold of Constance, German chronicler
October 13 – Count Guy I of Ponthieu
November 11 – Archbishop Thomas I of York
December 22 – Duke Bretislav II of Bohemia