Thread: A Syrian Horse Archer, on a textile, 7th-8th Century

Icon3 A Syrian Horse Archer, on a textile, 7th-8th Century

At the Sacristy of St Vitus Cathedral in Prague there is a Syrian or Byzantine Horse Archer, c.600AD on a textile

There is a similar piece of silk at the Shrine of St. Kunibert, Erzbischöfliches Museum, Cologne, which David Nicolle says is 8th century AD Syrian. The pattern of the two pieces is not identical, but they are so similar that the 2 fragments in Prague and the piece in Cologne could have been cut from the same cloth.

I don’t know if it is part of this but the Cologne museum say that their Coptic textile collection was bought in the 19th & 20th centuries via dealers who cut up textiles then sold the pieces with patterns. So these pieces may have been separated fairly recently. Does anyone have anymore information or pictures of these?

druzhina345
    Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CVI_Koln_th.jpg  

Default Re: A Syrian Horse Archer, on a textile, 7th-8th Century

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Syria was owned by the Romans in 600 AD, so it's probably a Roman horse archer.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    Syria was owned by the Romans in 600 AD, so it's probably a Roman horse archer.
    Only if the date of 600 AD is correct, which is looking less likely. Not everyone in the Roman Empire was a Roman citizen.

druzhina345
    Ancient Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

That depends. There was a prevalent Roman Ideaology designed to assimilate the immigrants into Romans. The Roman Empire was like the US (or the Borg I guess would be a better analogy).

And I'd argue the Baldenheim indicates a Roman Soldier (again, Roman soldiers could be anything in terms of "ethnicity", but were Roman Soldiers) because Baldenheims were invented by the Goths and didn't spread to the Sassanid East AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    That depends. There was a prevalent Roman Ideaology designed to assimilate the immigrants into Romans. The Roman Empire was like the US (or the Borg I guess would be a better analogy).

And I'd argue the Baldenheim indicates a Roman Soldier (again, Roman soldiers could be anything in terms of "ethnicity", but were Roman Soldiers) because Baldenheims were invented by the Goths and didn't spread to the Sassanid East AFAIK.
    If the Roman Empire was like the US it would have a large alien population (with many not speaking the official language).

A Baldenheim? Interesting. The headgear doesn't have the curves of the reinforcement of the Baldenheim:

Do you have a picture of the type you are thinking of? Is it just a hat?

druzhina345
    Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers