Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Villainy in video games (may contain spoilers)

Vítor Gaspar's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Villainy in video games (may contain spoilers)

You guys...

Don Sallieri

Tenpenny

Vítor Branco

Vlad Lem

Last edited by Vítor Gaspar; November 14, 2013 at 01:15 PM.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

And sometimes, the villain does win..

It's good to be bad.

Horned Reaper wins the thread.

Ruckulf's Avatar Semisalis

Frank Fontaine. Man was he a total a-hole! I don't want to spoil anything for those of you who haven't played Bioshock, bu seriously, he does more than just mock you, he's a real evil bastard!

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

I'll echo Sovereign. DAT VOICEEEE

Aru's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Kerghan in Arcanum.

A man (sort of) makes a convincing case. So much that you can agree with him in the end and do a genocide of all living things together with him. Or, if you have mastered certain stats, you can convince him he's wrong and force him to suicide. Or you can just not try to figure out what he's speaking and simply kill him. Which you can't unless you came prepared.
    Has signatures turned off.

Sovereign and Saren, both from mass effect... They were awesome!
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

Deidranna from Jagged Alliance 2 ... Always good for a laugh.

icydawgfish's Avatar Campidoctor

How about Andrew Ryan and Zachary Comstock?

"I used to eat people, but now I'm full."

Alduin? lol he is a vilain? thats a first...

Anyway for me is this Lady and this dudes all together. Darth Sion, Darth Nihilus, and Darth Traya ( AKA Kreia )

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; November 15, 2013 at 06:14 PM.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Alduin? lol he is a vilain? thats a first...

Anyway for me is this Lady and this dudes all together. Darth Sion, Darth Nihilus, and Darth Traya ( AKA Kreia )

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    This guy knows what's up. Darth Traya/Kreia was one of the best videogame villains I've ever met. Even now I'm still not entirely convinced she was evil, although the PC has to kill her in the end.

However, my all-time favorite villain would probably have to be SHODAN from the System Shock series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOFZ5fv_pb8

God this game was so damn creepy. Stuck all alone on a ship completely overrun by horrifying annelid creatures that have transformed the meat of your dead colleagues into hunter-killer hybrids while forced to work with a genocidal AI that hates your very existence is not my idea of a good time.
    Last edited by Thanatos; November 19, 2013 at 10:58 AM.

Who's the most badass villain? Wart from Super Mario Bros. 2. I could never figure out how to beat that dude, and there was no internet at the time to look it up. And unlike today's pussy ass games, when you lost you actually lost and had to start all over. This meant that when you lost to Wart, he erased HOURS of time you spent getting to him, just like that. So i tried to beat him like 3 times, could never do it because i couldn't figure out where you were suppose to thrown the radish thingys, and at that point i just decided " the princess or whoever i'm suppose to save." and i quit. Wart didn't just beat you down in game, he beat you down out of game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Aru View Post
    Kerghan in Arcanum.

A man (sort of) makes a convincing case. So much that you can agree with him in the end and do a genocide of all living things together with him. Or, if you have mastered certain stats, you can convince him he's wrong and force him to suicide. Or you can just not try to figure out what he's speaking and simply kill him. Which you can't unless you came prepared.
    Definitely one of the most awesome villains in human media ,the fact that you can help him makes it even more awesome .

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

It's funny. I'd be certain I could think of some great villains, but I just can't. It's not very often you get great villains. I often find there's games where you get fantastic anti-heroes, or "fallen" heroes (i.e. where the protagonist turns out to have done some really bad stuff), but it's very rare you get a villain with any real character. The only ones that come to mind which aren't simply the player making the protagonist evil are as follows:

• Kefka (Final Fantasy VI)
    • Kuja (Final Fantasy IX)
    • Darth Traya (Knights of the Old Republic II)
    • Sovereign (Mass Effect)
    • Letho (Witcher 2)

Though to be honest, I'd have to say my favourite villain was my own protagonist in Dragon Age Origins. The amount of evil stuff you can do in a play-through is quite staggering. Granted I saved Ferelden, but damn did I do some evil things on the way.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Durnaug's Avatar Campidoctor

This is tougher than it looks. One of my all time favourite games is Severance Blade of Darkness - every fight in that game is epic, even against the weaker orcs on the early levels. But these guys, the Dark Knights, stand out as the villains for me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r3-syVEcRw&t=3m40s

PS I've just remembered the zombie Hammerites from Thief 1 - they still creep me out...

Last edited by Durnaug; November 21, 2013 at 02:16 PM.

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Never got far into Mario 2, it just felt so different from 1 and 3.

Also, cant believe nobody mentioned Glados? :p

Quote Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
    Never got far into Mario 2, it just felt so different from 1 and 3.
    Amusingly enough in Japan it wasn't a Mario game. The real Mario 2 wasn't released outside Japan, because it was basically a harder expansion pack for the first game. The Europe and USA Mario 2 is actually Doki Doki Panic with new sprites. It wasn't until Super Mario All Stars that the real Mario 2 got an international release.

Also, can't believe no one has mentioned Father Karras from Thief II. Charismatic Genius who creates Robots light years more advanced than anything else in the setting, and utterly insane omnicidal misanthrope.
    Last edited by War lord; November 22, 2013 at 02:28 AM.

Gao the lesser from jade empire.

A minor villain in the grand game I gues, and a bit of a standard role, but the voice actor puts so much emotion in it that really enriches the character. You can really hear the desperation in his voice when things don't go well for him.

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by War lord View Post
    Amusingly enough in Japan it wasn't a Mario game. The real Mario 2 wasn't released outside Japan, because it was basically a harder expansion pack for the first game. The Europe and USA Mario 2 is actually Doki Doki Panic with new sprites. It wasn't until Super Mario All Stars that the real Mario 2 got an international release.
    That explains why you're constantly pulling turnips out of the ground like a ing farmer instead of being mario

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    Gao the lesser from jade empire.

A minor villain in the grand game I guess, and a bit of a standard role, but the voice actor puts so much emotion in it that really enriches the character. You can really hear the desperation in his voice when things don't go well for him.
    Blew my mind to learn later in life that was Nathan Fillion. Seems to do a lot of VA work actually, especially when it comes to Green Latern of all things.

Don't know about that, just know that I am very impressed at how much he put into a character that could very well have been a minor villain you'd forget once you get further in the story. I really felt bad for the guy, his world was crumbling around him.

Bioware always had great voice actors by the way. Well up to The Old Republic. Makes sense considering how much is needed for that game, but there is quite a bit of bad voice acting in there.
    One sith lord comes to mind in a flashpoint who says something about being unbeatable and when defeated about "no, how is this possible?" etc and the lines are delivered so flatly that its simply hillarious. Sounds like an elcor speaking at a regular pace.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast