Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Middle Earth - Shadows of Mordor

Default Re: Middle Earth - Shadows of Mordor

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Personally I thought BFME were horrid movie-inspired cash grabs when they came out but hey :

Indeed they were . Amazing what a few years and a worse game coming out can do to perception .

The Mouth's Avatar Ducenarius

Eh, I love both of them (And the expansion pack) and still play them occasionally. They were fun and had some of the best 'evil'/alternate ending campaigns I've ever played. They did bend lore in quite a few places... But at least they didn't shatter it like setting their game in a "pre blasted hellscape" Mordor thats somehow supposed to fit comfortably between The Hobbit and Lotr.

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Senator

I think there was a game by sierra based on the books, but not the PJ movies. It was pretty warcraftesque, and a good strategy game in itself.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

I want a Skyrim-esque LotR game, no online crap, no fancy-pansy magic ability mashing, no lore rapes, just Skyrim LotR version.

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

its not even coming for PC, well the games based on LOTR never were really that good, i'll buy me a new cd of medieval 2 and install TATW instead
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Redgrave's Avatar Civis

I want an open-world game where you can explore all of Middle-Earth in detail, with good dialogue and storyline, that is similar to Skyrim. Based on the books, not the films. With an option to choose race. But since that doesn't seem likely, I'll stick to TATW for now
    One does not desire the power of a nation,
    So much as one treasures reputation.
    This poem is not a 'trap', nor a 'trep',
    It is simply a device for the collection of rep.

I'll never understand why Warner Bros won't hire Bethesda to make a LotR game. Personally though I'd rather have MERP because it wasn't developed by corporate greed.

I want one with story from books but visuals like armour and things from movies because you cant beat that plate armour the gondorians have

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by the lightning legion View Post
    I want one with story from books but visuals like armour and things from movies because you cant beat that plate armour the gondorians have
    With a shortbow you can. Handily.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Citizen

Visuals from the movies is a yes. It have some absolutely superior designs. Although the Gobelin Town gobbos can be handidly ignored.

Also, late medieval fantasy designs and weapons are naturally more varied and interesting than early medieval.

Visuals from the movies is a yes. It have some absolutely superior designs. Although the Gobelin Town gobbos can be handidly ignored.

Also, late medieval fantasy designs and weapons are naturally more varied and interesting than early medieval.
    Personally, I'd prefer original designs. (Probably the reason I prefer FATW to TATW, although stability and balance have something to do with it too)

for mass market appeal something will have to come from the movies

so I would rather have awesome armour than a cop and pasted story from one of their other games

Quote Originally Posted by the lightning legion View Post
    for mass market appeal something will have to come from the movies

so I would rather have awesome armour than a cop and pasted story from one of their other games
    So, you think that think that those two don't come together?

Hresvelgr's Avatar Campidoctor

Most armor in video-games tends to look bad anyway. For some reason a lot of games seem to prefer over-the-top fantastical designs that look silly and ugly. I really don't get the appeal behind that stuff. WETA's armor designs for the films tend to be more practical and therefore also look more elegant and classy. At the same time they're also much more varied than what a lot of purists seem to have preferred, which I tend to hear as being just mail hauberks for everyone, with at best surcoats to distinguish people.
    I'm not crazy, I'm the only one who's not crazy!

Most armor in video-games tends to look bad anyway. For some reason a lot of games seem to prefer over-the-top fantastical designs that look silly and ugly
    That I agree on, although I say they have just as bad designs for weapons.

WETA's armor designs for the films tend to be more practical and therefore also look more elegant and classy
    I'm not sure. There seems to be an over-abundance of spiky nonsense. The Noldor designs looked good, even if there was zero variety and the helmets were horrid.

At the same time they're also much more varied than what a lot of purists seem to have preferred, which I tend to hear as being just mail hauberks for everyone, with at best surcoats to distinguish people.
    So you haven't even bothered to look?

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Hahahahahahahahhaha! Lol what?

I can't even believe they would do this. Not because I'm outraged at the lore-rape or anything but because they are just willingly making themselves look like absolute morons to a huge community of Tolkien fans. And the part where it's explained that the player will be a zombie Ranger whose whole family were killed and he has come back to life as a wraith to seek revenge on Sauron.

Not only does every individual word in that description sound retard but then the article goes on to say that Warner Bros. promise it will align with the lore. As if a reincarnated superhero ranger seeking to take on the most powerful being in the world in his home territory just for revenge will fit perfectly into the lore of Middle-Earth. Oh yeah, Tolkien forgot to write about the unstoppable zombie Hercules that roamed around Mordor murdering thousands of orcs and trolls and whatever else in the name of vengenance during the middle of the Third Age. Oh yeah, whoops....

Like seriously, why pretend? If they had of just gone we're making a completly outlandish arcade game based in Middle-earth they wouldn't have lost any customers and would have at least satisified the legions of Tolkien fans and the Tolkien household by insulting the old man and his world with this ridiculous idea (by the way, the employee who came up with this concept should be fired and placed in an insane asylum).

But regardless, and definitely judging by the comments in that IGN article, this game will sell in its thousands simply because people can be idiots who will buy anything that has Lord of the Rings slapped on to it. They could literally have this game set in a lush rainforest, say it is actually Mordor (just the parts you didn't see in the movies) and people would still buy it in droves. Hell, you could make a game were you play as Legolas and shoot Miley Cyrus with arrows for ten hours and it would still sell pretty damn well.
    Last edited by ccllnply; November 26, 2013 at 03:08 PM.

Agree 110% on the Goblin Town inhabitants, their design was just....too awful and disappointing for words (freakn' Del Toro)

However I agree with Hresvelgr, for some reason the games add more to the movie designs and botch things up. I did enjoy most of the weapon and armor designs in War in the North though

Hresvelgr's Avatar Campidoctor

War in the North did seem to base their design aesthetic off of the movies, making their original stuff look like it could fit in the same world and for the most part it was good, but why couldn't they make any halfway decent helmets for Eradan? I mean the dwarf at least got helmets that didn't make him look derpy, though there wasn't much variety, but it seemed impossible to put a helmet on the ranger without making him look silly. Seems like they tried to make the stuff look the same on Andriel and Eradan, but they forgot that what looks decent on a woman doesn't necessarily look good on a man.

Also, I feel so lonely for thinking that the Goblin Town goblins looked good. I rather enjoyed the twisted, subterranean dweller thing even if the Great Goblin could've gone with less chin-flab or whatever. The only orc whose design struck me as standing out in a bad way was Azog, he looks just so Del Toro-ish which is even worse when he's surrounded by PJ-style orcs.
    I'm not crazy, I'm the only one who's not crazy!

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

I wonder at what point it will be revealed that the game was produced on it's own, but that at a point when the game had been built around the plot, an executive stuck his head in and said "You know what, this game will sell better if it's a LotR game. Change the names to all those, ehm, Tolkien, things - names." and vanished before any of the dev team managed to more than look at each other an moan x)

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Citizen

Well it would not be first time that had happen. And the origin story does sound kinda loco.

And yeah good point that the movies keeps the Warhammer fantasy LoL crap designs away from LotR.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast