Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Main Discussion Thread

Tar-Falassion's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Main Discussion Thread

What would also be interesting for Silmarillion Total War, imho, would be some sort of "cooperation" system, something more advanced than the basic alliance system that one may find on RTW or M2TW.

On the first point, in the vanilla games alliance are litteraly worth nothing, one can enter an alliance with another faction and then stab him in the back on the next turn - I understand that it is historically accurate, since there was a lot of backstabbing and worthless alliances, but from my point of view keeping things this way would take away any political stability that Middle Earth realms could have.

I was quite impressed and relieved by the system that Third Age Total War had, the obligation to send a diplomat in order to break the alliance before entering war with an "allied" faction. I mean, in Middle Earth nations are not as versatile and unpredictable as in our world, there are definite alignments according to which kingdoms will behave and interact with others. So I really hope that Silmarillion includes a similar system which would avoid, say, Finarfin's House to go berserk on the Falathrim 1 turn after they declared an alliance.

On the second point, Middle Earth is also about great events of multiple side battles, and fateful alliances - I think about the Nirnaeth Arnoediath, or the Last Alliance, or the Pelennor Fields. Generally such agreements are a turning point in the history of ME, and sometimes I felt like mods such as LOTR TW for RTW, or TATW didn't exactly make me feel like that.
    Don't get me wrong, the retranscription of Middle Earth was splendid, but I was really thrilled by the Crusades/Invasion system of TATW, and I always felt bad that there wasn't any other true cooperation between factions.

So my point is, that there should be scripts that the player could trigger, which would allow something resembling these Invasions - but not necessarily on the same terms or on the same scale. If for example, there was a specific alliance script between the Noldor realms, or between the Edain Houses, like some anti-invasion script, well that would represent quite accurately what I'm thinking about.
    And of course, something like the Union of Maedhros would be totally comparable to an Invasion in TATW, so I really wonder what you're keeping up your sleeves about it

Ofc, I won't be angry if there isn't such an option on STW, for whatever reason. I was just saying out and loud my wishes for a great First Age mod

I believe (but Milner will confirm it) that most alliance established before the game starts (like the House of Hador with the House of Fingolfin) will remain stable through the game while others will be more versatile. And we discussed to include the Union of Maedhros (possibly renamed since my idea was that another house of the Noldor could take the lead if they united behind them some factions of the Noldor, Sindar, Dwarves and Men) but I don't know what is allready done in that regard.

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I have a question. I've heard the game starts at a time when Fingolfin is still alive. Do you plan on making his duel with Morgoth a scripted event? It would be a shame not to get the chance to challenge Morgoth when playing as Fingolfin.

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

I don't really think that's a good idea. I suppose, if the player really wants to kill him off for some reason, he could send him there. But I think it is bad design to script stuff that should by all rights be up to the player.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

It could be a player's choice. For example in 455 an event pops up: "Beleriand burns, all hope is lost. Will you watch your people fight a war that cannot be won, or will challenge Morgoth to a duel?" Then the player can choose to fight or not.

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Still, it seems very pointless. If the player can engage Morgoth on his own terms, why bother with coding a script?
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

If, what scripts allow, the player is the House of Fingolfin it would be sad to lose him through "simple" script instead of by player acts, but if the player is any other good faction it would be fair, as it ought to add a feeling of catastrophe and tragedy befalling the enemies of Morgoth.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alě, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Yeah I don't think it would be implemented when you play House of Fingolfin but Ngugi is right : it could be something interisting to add when you are playing another faction. That's debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    If, what scripts allow, the player is the House of Fingolfin it would be sad to lose him through "simple" script instead of by player acts, but if the player is any other good faction it would be fair, as it ought to add a feeling of catastrophe and tragedy befalling the enemies of Morgoth.
    Yes, it could be an interesting idea, the good factions would experience, in line with the lore, a sense of desperation and defeat.

I personally would never challenge directly Morgoth in Angband anyway, I would patiently wait for the arrival of the Host of the Valar.
    I know, I play in a sort of 'shy' way, but I believe more in Endurance than I do in attacking; then, once the true Power turns up in Beleriand, I will move against the evil forces

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

I can't believe that I haven't seen this project untill now. I must say the mod looks great and I truly hope to get a chance playing it at some point!

Tho I admit I never got to finish reading Silmarillion. Better give it a second try.

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg

Last edited by Karak Norn Clansman; March 15, 2016 at 08:54 AM.

We were not. Looks very nice, thank you for showing us.

Plus this quick chainmail patterns sketch of mine, in case it's of any use:

And some armour concepts based on Silmarillion images out on Deviantart:

Last edited by Karak Norn Clansman; March 15, 2016 at 03:54 PM.

Civis

Is everything alright? A hiatus period?

Sadly, we have no news from our mod leader, so for now you can consider the development as halted.

hrolphi's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Bercor View Post
    Sadly, we have no news from our mod leader, so for now you can consider the development as halted.
    Just dropping by to express how great I think Silmarillion TW is. I like the unit models a lot, and they have literally been a big inspiration for me.
    So beautiful

All the best!

Firstly, fantastic work on the mod to date, looks absolutely stunning so far in all the previews.
    I was wondering, since the mod seems to be on a hiatus as the team has other matters in their personal lives, would an alpha release be at all possible?
    Aside the obvious geek bonus of being able to play the mod (because let's face it, there are plenty of us who'd like to get our hands on it!), it's difficult as a non-team member to see what progress is being made and what work remains (aside from the posted job asking for a custom city builder, a field I personally have no capacity in). If an unstable alpha (eg. with only custom battle capability) was available, it would be possible to create additional content, either for submods or even to reintegrate into the main mod to take the strain off the team.
    At the same time, you guys have all put immeasurable love and care into it, and I can understand if you felt it does you discredit to release the unfinished product, but I thought I'd voice my suggestion/request anyway.
    Regardless, thank you for all your hard work, looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labours, and I will be looking out to see if I can contribute in any way in the future!

Hey there, I am wondering if this mod is still alive. Please tell me it is alive!!!

Fahnat's Avatar Biarchus
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I would like so much that this mod could be finished.
    Isn't there a chance for the already done work be published so that people can further continue the work?

Quote Originally Posted by Fahnat View Post
    I would like so much that this mod could be finished.
    Isn't there a chance for the already done work be published so that people can further continue the work?
    I'm afraid no. Milner considers that the work is his so not to be published and accessible unless it's finished. It's a shame and I find it a little disappointing since if he truly did most of the work by himself (and that's impressive) we all spent hours on it, helping or doing things.