Thread: How to have custom settlements on battlemap using settlement plans

Default How to have custom settlements on battlemap using settlement plans

It seems that the old settlement plan of RTW still works, but is now dispatched within the worldpackage files.

Concretely how does that work :

You can assign to each settlement model a plan with ITWE, when you edit worldpackage. For that you just need to change the variant from none to a custom name, for exemple minas_tirith :

Then you need to change the plan_set of the settlement into the descr_strat, here it is how it looks :

Code:
    	level huge_city
    	region Anorien_Province

year_founded 0
    	population 4252
    	plan_set Minas_Tirith
    	faction_creator sicily
    And you now have Minas Tirith that appear on the battlefield,when the normal sicily huge_city is osgiliath.

There is know two thing to solve :

• Having campaign map models of the settlements working this way. I still have osgiliath model (instead of Minas Tirith one). It is really uncertain it may work, because that does not work on RTW Creected : see the next post
    • Checking if you can have custom settlement trees using this way (for exemple you can upgrade a city without loosing the custom settlement) Done : you can make custom settlements evolving

EDIT : And a big thanksto mat86 to give me the idea
    Last edited by Arandir Tur-Anion de Bodemloze; November 12, 2013 at 09:12 AM.

Default Re: How to have custom settlements on battlemap without using a factionnal level of settlement

Did not work

We can know also have custom model on the strat map.

For that you need to add an entry to the descr_cultures

In the settlement category, for the wanted culture you need to copy the original copy of the settlement of the same level, for exemple for an huge city you need this :
    Code:
    huge_city
    {
    	normal		data/models_strat/residences/gondor_huge_city.cas,				settlement_eastern_level_6
    	card		data/ui/southern_european/cities/graeco-roman_huge_city.tga
    }
    You copy it, change the eastern to the plan name, and the descr_strat entry for the culture in question should look as this :
    Code:
    culture			gondor
    portrait_mapping	gondor
    rebel_standard_index	7
    {
    village
    {
    	normal		data/models_strat/residences/gondor_village.CAS,			settlement_eastern_level_1
    	card		data/ui/southern_european/cities/graeco-roman_village.tga
    }
    moot_and_bailey
    {
    	normal		data/models_strat/residences/gondor_wooden_castle.CAS,		settlement_eastern_level_1
    	card		data/ui/southern_european/cities/graeco-roman_village.tga
    }
    town
    {
    	normal		data/models_strat/residences/gondor_town.CAS,			settlement_eastern_level_2
    	card		data/ui/southern_european/cities/graeco-roman_town.tga
    }
    wooden_castle
    {
    	normal		data/models_strat/residences/gondor_stone_keep.CAS,			settlement_eastern_level_2
    	card		data/ui/southern_european/cities/graeco-roman_town.tga
    }
    large_town
    {
    	normal		data/models_strat/residences/gondor_large_town.CAS,			settlement_eastern_level_3
    	card		data/ui/southern_european/cities/graeco-roman_large_town.tga
    }
    castle
    {
    	normal		data/models_strat/residences/gondor_castle.CAS,			settlement_eastern_level_3
    	card		data/ui/southern_european/cities/graeco-roman_large_town.tga
    }
    city
    {
    	normal		data/models_strat/residences/gondor_city.CAS,			settlement_eastern_level_4
    	card		data/ui/southern_european/cities/graeco-roman_city.tga
    }
    fortress
    {
    	normal		data/models_strat/residences/gondor_large_castle.CAS,		settlement_eastern_level_4
    	card		data/ui/southern_european/cities/graeco-roman_city.tga
    }
    large_city
    {
    	normal		data/models_strat/residences/gondor_large_city.CAS,			settlement_eastern_level_5
    	card		data/ui/southern_european/cities/graeco-roman_large_city.tga
    }
    citadel
    {
    	normal		data/models_strat/residences/gondor_fortress.cas,				settlement_eastern_level_5
    }
    huge_city
    {
    	normal		data/models_strat/residences/gondor_huge_city.cas,				settlement_eastern_level_6
    }
    huge_city
    {
    	normal 		data/models_strat/residences/minas_tirith.cas,					settlement_minas_tirith_level_6
    }
    large_city
    {
    	normal		data/models_strat/residences/edoras.cas,			settlement_pelargir_level_5
    }
    }
    fort			data/models_strat/residences/symbol.CAS,				fort_barbarian
    fort_cost		500
    fort_wall		data/models_strat/residences/symbol.CAS
    fishing_village		data/models_strat/residences/NE_port_villiage.CAS,				port_barbarian_level_1
    port_land		data/models_strat/residences/NE_port_02_buildings.CAS,				port_barbarian_level_2
    port_sea		data/models_strat/residences/NE_port_02_wall.CAS
    port_land		data/models_strat/residences/NE_port_03_buildings.CAS,				port_barbarian_level_3
    port_sea		data/models_strat/residences/NE_port_03_wall.CAS
    port_land		data/models_strat/residences/NE_port_04_buildings.CAS,				port_barbarian_level_4
    port_sea		data/models_strat/residences/NE_port_04_wall.CAS
    watchtower		data/models_strat/residences/GE_watchtower.CAS,					watchtower_barbarian
    watchtower_cost		10
    spy			spy.tga			spy_info.tga			spy.tga		350	1	1
    assassin		assassin.tga		assassin_info.tga		assassin.tga	500	1	1
    diplomat		diplomat.tga		diplomat_info.tga		diplomat.tga	250	1	1
    admiral			admiral.tga		admiral_info.tga		admiral.tga	100	1	1
    merchant		merchant.tga		merchant_info.tga		merchant.tga	550	1	1
    priest			priest.tga		priest_info.tga			priest.tga	200	1	1
    Last edited by Arandir Tur-Anion de Bodemloze; December 13, 2013 at 04:34 AM.

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Default Re: How to have custom settlements on battlemap and stratmap without using a factionnal level of settlement

Basically that gives us another way to add custom settlements in the strat map. But now with the possibility of making them upgradable even without making them to change the model.

thanks for sharing.

Default Re: How to have custom settlements on battlemap and stratmap without using a factionnal level of settlement

In fact the advantage of this is that he does not intefere with default settlements, so it is far easier tohave them.

mat86's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: How to have custom settlements on battlemap and stratmap using settlement plans

Your descr_cultures method works also in rtw. It's great !
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Code:
    huge_city
    {
    	normal				Woa/data/models_strat/residences/troie_building.cas,		settlement_troie_set_level_6
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/roman_huge_city_wall_1.CAS,		settlement_troie_set_walled_level_6
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/roman_huge_city_wall_2.CAS,		settlement_troie_set_walled_level_6
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/greek_huge_city_wall_3.CAS,		settlement_troie_set_walled_level_6
    	wall				data/models_strat/residences/greek_huge_city_wall_4.CAS,		settlement_troie_set_walled_level_6
    	wall				Woa/data/models_strat/residences/troie_wall.CAS,		settlement_troie_set_walled_level_6
    	card				data/ui/roman/cities/graeco-roman_huge_city.tga
    }
    I'm french and I don't speak very good English...
    Mod leader of Wars Of Atlantis (WOA)

Default Re: How to have custom settlements on battlemap and stratmap using settlement plans

BEWARE!

Everyone interested in making custom unique settlements to be upgradable must know that there is different sizes of walls in the med2 engine.
    A custom settlement wall is choosen when you are crafting it and cannot be changed unless you make different versions of your settlement each one with a different size of wall.

There is the following 4 wall sizes:

1. town, wooden fort (wooden palisade)
    2. large town, stone keep, city (wooden walls and stone walls, but both the same size)
    3. large city, castles, large castles, citadels.
    4. huge city

The point is the engine builds siege towers and ladders when in sieging based on the settlement type, so if your settlement is set as a huge city, the engine will build siege towers high enough to match these walls, no matter if you made your custom settlement with smaller walls.

That does not cause crash, actually, everything works pretty fine even with this sizes not matching, but the animations will look weird when units climb a wall with ladders or siege towers in that situation, as the heighs does not matches.

I was thinking, that when I was manipulating all of this, I can get an error as :
    Code:
    Could not find aerial map 'settlement_pelargir_level_6' in database
    More of that when I add this settlement to the desc_aerial_map_bases.txt, thereis no more error. it seems like there is a settlement data somewhere, and trying to understand this one could be a step forward about manipulating them.

For the moment it seems there is few different parts :

settlement_pelargir_level_6

settlement

Seems to indicate the the type of object we have

pelargir
    Semms to, indicate the settlment plan, rome name (barabarian, eastern and roman are the linked to the default plan)

level_6
    It is the unknown part of the process, as settlement level( huge_city, large town...) seems to have already been linked in the descr_culture

More of that the files than are linked to that are loaded in this order it seems (if we follow the log) :
    Code:
    descr_aerial_map_bases
    descr_cultures
    EDB
    descr_walls
    wordpkgdesc files
    Hav someone an idea about this ?
    Last edited by Arandir Tur-Anion de Bodemloze; December 04, 2013 at 03:54 AM.

So, implementing custom settlement in campaign map did not work. But during some latter text I found something quite strange. We can put in the descr_cultures what we want after the level of the settlement part, without causing any crashes, so I do not know what it may be linked to

Default Re: How to have custom settlements on battlemap using settlement plans

Bump - has anyone had the battle map part of this working? e.g. using the
    plan_set Minas_Tirith in descr_strat
    and
    variant Minas_Tirith in the .worldpkgdesc
    ?

I'm fairly sure I tested it but can't remember the result
    might just have given up when I realised the strat model side didn't work

I've just tried this again and I can't get the
    plan_set Minas_Tirith
    thing to work for battle-maps

leo.civil.uefs did you ever try it that way?

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    I've just tried this again and I can't get the

thing to work for battle-maps

leo.civil.uefs did you ever try it that way?

I did not activate the notification for this thread so I did not see your question, mak, sorry.

Anyway here is my late reply: NO

I never tried this method.

did anyone get this to work or even get any conclusions from this tutorial?