Thread: shogun2 vs total war

Default shogun2 vs total war

I long time play rtw/bi and mtw2. I also helped on some mods. time ago I tried to play empire, but I was not lucky with it.
    I hear that shogun2 is well made (campaign, battles, ai)... one my frien, total war fanatic player, told me that shogun2 would be great base for rome2, just to add there some new thins. but ca totaly crap up rome2.
    I would like to buy new game from ca so which one? shogun is not my favourite theme, but is it realy so good when it is compared with:
    empire
    napolen
    rome2

thanks.
    Dominion of Britannia, Norman Invasion

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: shogun2 vs total war

Shogun 2 is easily better than Empire Total War and Rome 2 Total War. In my opinion the best Total War game yet, Napoleon and Shogun 2 are definitely the best (most polished and better programming overall).

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Enjoyed Empire and Napoleon after they had been modded, would wait till Rome 2 has been fixed before buying it, although some of the mods are now improving game play and some great unit packs have come out adding more improvement and interest. But the game still has "Issues" I would read through some of the threads and watch some "You tube videos" rather than the official hype. Rome 2 has bags of potential, but for me Napoleon "with some great mods" has given me much pleasure, I guess it comes down to which period of history interests you the most.

I don't solely play one TW, play a couple of them. I myself am playing more s2tw as I recently bought it and enjoy SP with mods and vanilla MP.

if we are talking about pure vanilla experience, I had the most fun playing FOTS when I restored the Emperor to power again as Imperial Satsuma.

Empire was meh and Napoleon I do not have yet. Not going to get Rome 2 as I have a game that takes place in the Antiquity time Rome Total War (I just don't want to spend $30/50 to play in the time setting I

have already that I got for a dollar).

So go for Shogun 2, one of the best TW game I have ever played.

Patrician

What Roman game you talking about? But vanilla Shogun 2 and Napoleon are the best.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Rome total war 1? I don't know if I should get Napoleon cause I have a game that takes places in the gun powder era, ETW. But since you are praising it so much I might try the demo.

Patrician

Well it pretty much started the new Total War games which, let's face it, Empire Total war didn't really. But Rome 1 and Medieval 2 are the other good games of the series. Napoleon was actually the first Total War that I ever played.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by One-Eye View Post
    I long time play rtw/bi and mtw2. I also helped on some mods. time ago I tried to play empire, but I was not lucky with it.
    I hear that shogun2 is well made (campaign, battles, ai)... one my frien, total war fanatic player, told me that shogun2 would be great base for rome2, just to add there some new thins. but ca totaly crap up rome2.
    I would like to buy new game from ca so which one? shogun is not my favourite theme, but is it realy so good when it is compared with:
    empire
    napolen
    rome2

thanks.
    Shogun 2 is basically done and in a way almost perfect for a game. Same with Napoleon. Empire, well it's a good game now but for me mainly because of the scope compared to Napoleon.

I suggest maybe you can wait until Christmas sales where you can get Total War collection for cheap. Rome 2 I leave it to you to decide yourself. It's still being developed so if you're not in a hurry to play shiny legionaries then I would suggest to wait.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Kambe's Avatar Biarchus

Shogun 2 is best optimized and polished Total War that uses Warscape engine (Empire, Napoleon, Shogun 2, Rome 2). If you like melee focused combat and samurai you can play the basic game or if you like ranged combat you can play Fall of samurai DLC.

Don't preorder games!

thank you guys for informations.
    hm, one more question: do you think that it is possible to do any mod about medieval europe on shogun2 engine? becasue I see just mods which improve shogun2.
    Dominion of Britannia, Norman Invasion

I think that is, sadly, impossible. Although quite a bit of work has been done on the map by uanime5 (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...orea-campaign)), I don't think it would be possible to entirely re-shape the map. Plus, work on building the factions, units, tech etc would be mammoth even in the technical sense alone (implementation), even without the required research and proper design process. Then there are little "details" like unit cards, unit descriptions, battle maps, castle maps, siege AI etc etc. It's just far too much unpaid labour to take on for pretty much anybody. Sorry.

On the flipside - Sengoku Jidai is a phenomenal setting for any game and I think it fits TW core franchise philosophy like a glove. It's really no accident that the first game in the franchise was developed in this historical setting. So there are positives there too

CoconutFred's Avatar Senator
    Your local ShopRite, at 5% off on Fridays.

Uanime, wangrel, and manolops are working on an Imjin War mod, and uanime already has pics up of a nearly-complete Korean landmass with regions and settlements in the shogun 2 campaign map.

Apparently we've recently also figured out how to import new models for unit equipment, though modding ships is still a doozy.

ImHo Shogun 2 has evolved from a fairly decent Total War release (esp. compared to Rome 2) into a high quality game, with most of the fixes it needed, and would be a good buy now (especially at discount prices)... Anyone who likes sushi or who'se ever taken a karate lesson or two shouldn't have much trouble connecting with the Japanese atmosphere of the campaign game (but that's certainly not a prerequisite!). My only remaining real beef with S2 is the format of the siege battles (and except perhaps for early in the game almost all land battles are siege battles). The BAI is decent enough, it's just that the locations being sieged are always just a single terrace or set of tiered terraces surrounded by a clearing in the (admittedly pretty) countryside. Perhaps the buildings themselves fairly represent the architecture of medieval Japanese castles (or military facilities at least), but this platform characteristic plus the lack of any surrounding town or structures leaves siege battles with a very repetitive and (dare I say) a bit uninspired feel... you really can't detach yourself from the fact that you're playing a video game in these 'capture the platform' battles - it's almost a bit arcade-like. Siege battles feeling repetitive is a common gripe with Total War games, it's just a notch more of a gripe with S2, for me. Viewing the battle action up close though is perhaps more enjoyable than in any other Total War game I've played. Overall, despite the siege gripe I still say the game's worth it, and a worthy member of the venerable total war franchise for all of its polish in every other respect. Just one guy's opinion - your mileage may vary. Cheers!

You know, that is a very good point. I often come back to pre-release presentations of S2 in my mind and distinctly remember CA boasting about how the siege mentality would be sort of reversed compared to medieval Europe; instead of doing everything to keep the bad guys out, the layout of the castle would "dare the attacker to come in".

When I first heard that I was like 'yes, finally someone has read up properly on nawabari and sieges will finally be fun'. CA waxed lyrical about 'setting traps' for attackers and how the approach to honmaru would be studded with potential deployment zones for the defenders to allow siege battles to happen more in stages. Kinda the same marketing spiel CA gave us with TWR2 recently. In reality, every single tier 3, tier 4 & 5 castle is a curious mix of renkaku / teikaku layouts with tenshu in the centre (sort of like teikaku) but with ninomaru and sennomaru hanging off the honmaru like terraces (renkaku layout).

I kinda wish AI pathfiding allowed for the castle maps to be more... unique and life-like and less generic. I wish gates led onto meandering paths with convenient places for defenders to rain fire upon the attackers as CA alluded was their intention. I wish we didn't have to rely on attackers having to climb up the walls every time to make it in but would actually choose to attack gates first. Yeah, sieges are probably the most disappointing aspect of Shogun 2. Oh well, most other elements of the game are fantastic though.

Artifex

There is a mod which tries to improve the siege battle maps. I have pasted a link of Takeda 3 castles into that thread and the modder has showed interest. This is good news because Takeda 3 has realistic castle layouts. Japanese castles utilized the terrain to slow down the attacker via mountains, rivers and several courtyards. This way, the attacker has to overcome several castle courtyards/walls before he finally reaches the keep. No more arcadish cheating by standing near the keep for one minute. The attacker now has to do some work to conquer a castle.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai