Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Its been confirmed. ROME II steam os port.

Default Re: Its been confirmed. ROME II steam os port.

Quote Originally Posted by Cursisanafou View Post
    Interesting... Now that you put it all in a single list, this game truly does seem streamlined and simple compared to the older total wars. I knew it was dumbed down a bit, but i had not really been paying all that much attention to the features.. the mind boggling useless AI has taken up most of my attention.

Although to be honest, most of those features are nice for people who don't want to think about a game and just want to relax. which i do, but at the same time it is a little too much dumbed down and simple. Almost to the point where it is boring... raise army, conquer.. convert buildings and populace, rinse repeat.
    Almost? it is boring after a while. and a TW game is a game all about thinking \ but yeah not any more really

The actual controller, which operates very much like a touch pad was shown working with CIV (in it's pc state without any changes) fairly intuitively.

Saying this though, Rome II had a terrible UI. I feel Shogun 2 was a pitch perfect balance between simplicity and depth when it came to information.

Wouldn't the consol version be watered down even more? Maybe thats a good thing. Sorry guys we had to cut throwing torches during sieges! But there would be no lag would there? interesting. The depth is already gone so maybe it is better off in that form

Quote Originally Posted by CatoTheYounger View Post
    Wouldn't the consol version be watered down even more? Maybe thats a good thing. Sorry guys we had to cut throwing torches during sieges! But there would be no lag would there? interesting. The depth is already gone so maybe it is better off in that form
    The current steam machine is very powerful running with a titan. It's probably more powerful than most of the machines running Rome II on the pc. The main threat though is probably the UI. Total War has typically had a very idiosyncratic UI with very small text which could present problems when sitting on a couch. I'd hate to see the series with huge blocky Oblivion style UI/text.

Indefinitely Banned

I want it on the Ps4

That has been CAīs doom. They love to start new projects before finishing old businesses.

They want multiplayer, they want new platforms, they want expansions out before the core game has been finished. They want it all. The problem though is that they can't make one single thing to work correctly.

The way I see it (this at least applies for me, since Iīm about to give up on the TW franchise), CA will get trapped in the middle of nowhere. They will end up not pleasing the casual gamers and they will definitely not please their older fans.

I will still hold on to Rome 2 for about a year or so and see what is going to happen. But for me, the joy seems to be gone. I can't really see this franchise going anywhere.

One thing is certain: If I ever buy CA's games again, it will be when all the expansions and patches have been released, and when the price is 50% off on a Steam sale. Thatīs for me the right approach when you deal with a casual franchise that makes casual games.
    Last edited by AlexCouceiro; November 08, 2013 at 12:21 PM.
    AlexCouceiro is Caligula, son of Germanicus, Roman

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Let's see since the Valve Controller, if I remember correctly, is going to have some sort of touch screen in the middle of it you really are overreacting a lot.

Like seriously, this is a Linux distro made by Valve and they made a neat controller for PC gamers to use.

TWC overreacts once again.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Arbitrary Crusader's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
    And yeah that's the problem. You use the mouse for them - on a controller, you don't have that kind of mouse control. Halo Wars only worked since there was like, one ability per unit, and just an attack-move button or something.

Even not counting the unit abilities, you have grouping, retreat, fire at will, skirmish, the entire formation menu... even for units that can't do that, you still need a button for move and attack. Also AI control.

Most controllers have only 4 buttons. If you use shoulder buttons, you can then get maybe 6 or 8. This is before we even count some units having 2 or 3 abilities, or some missile troops having 3 different shots. The only button that isn't in, is the Guard one. Somehow losing one button makes people flip out though.
    Valve controllers are hackable, and their controller are different from other controllers.

From the site http://store.steampowered.com/living...eamController/

Dual trackpads

The most prominent elements of the Steam controller are its two circular trackpads. Driven by the player’s thumbs, each one has a high-resolution trackpad as its base. It is also clickable, allowing the entire surface to act as a button. The trackpads allow far higher fidelity input than has previously been possible with traditional handheld controllers. Steam gamers, who are used to the input associated with PCs, will appreciate that the Steam Controller’s resolution approaches that of a desktop mouse.

Whole genres of games that were previously only playable with a keyboard and mouse are now accessible from the sofa. RTS games. Casual, cursor-driven games. Strategy games. 4x space exploration games. A huge variety of indie games. Simulation titles. And of course, Euro Truck Simulator 2.

In addition, games like first-person shooters that are designed around precise aiming within a large visual field now benefit from the trackpads’ high resolution and absolute position control.
    Shared configurations

In order to support the full catalog of existing Steam games (none of which were built with the Steam Controller in mind), we have built in a legacy mode that allows the controller to present itself as a keyboard and mouse. The Steam Community can use the configuration tool to create and share bindings for their favorite games. Players can choose from a list of the most popular configurations.

♪ Now it's over, I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do

Citizen

Blog Entries

And again, about the touchscreen (Oh is your little conspiracy theory being thrown out of the window yet?)

Quote Originally Posted by Valve
    In the center of the controller is another touch-enabled surface, this one backed by a high-resolution screen. This surface, too, is critical to achieving the controller’s primary goal - supporting all games in the Steam catalog. The screen allows an infinite number of discrete actions to be made available to the player, without requiring an infinite number of physical buttons.

The whole screen itself is also clickable, like a large single button. So actions are not invoked by a simple touch, they instead require a click. This allows a player to touch the screen, browse available actions, and only then commit to the one they want. Players can swipe through pages of actions in games where that’s appropriate. When programmed by game developers using our API, the touch screen can work as a scrolling menu, a radial dial, provide secondary info like a map or use other custom input modes we haven’t thought of yet.

In order to avoid forcing players to divide their attention between screens, a critical feature of the Steam Controller comes from its deep integration with Steam. When a player touches the controller screen, its display is overlayed on top of the game they’re playing, allowing the player to leave their attention squarely on the action, where it belongs.
    As well

Quote Originally Posted by Valve
    Every button and input zone has been placed based on frequency of use, precision required and ergonomic comfort. There are a total of sixteen buttons on the Steam Controller. Half of them are accessible to the player without requiring thumbs to be lifted from the trackpads, including two on the back. All controls and buttons have been placed symmetrically, making left or right handedness switchable via a software config checkbox.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.

Citizen

Blog Entries

-TWC Hiccuped, double post-

Darth_Revan's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by tom cruise View Post
    I want it on the Ps4
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Hardcore PC gamers are on the verge of extinction...

I think we will have to turn towards indie games to have access to great strategies/wargames... AAA games will be more and more aligned towards the mass market because it is where the $$$$ is.

Don't get me wrong, I like RTW2 even if it could be way better. But I think this is the start of the end of the Total War series as we have seen it...

This news is bad news for those who want a challenging grand strategy game.
    This is good news for everyone out there that can't or doesn't want to buy a 1000-2000$ desktop. And good news for all the kids who want to sit before their TV gaming while eating chips and wiping their dirty hands on their jeans.
    The Black Box
    My custom Gaming PC
    http://pcpartpicker.com/b/Dnt

DogSoldierSPQR's Avatar Senator

As long as there is a keyboard and mouse option always present it shouldn't be too bad.

However, if we only have to use a controller, this will suck. I've played the same strategy game on console and PC and the keyboard and mouse just helps with fluidity of movement and is just much more comfortable. As long as there is a keyboard and mouse option, it really shouldn't be too bad.
    I personally invite you to check out my complete combat overhaul which will give you a completely new Rome 2 experience:
    (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ere!-(26-10-13)
    If you rep me, leave that beautiful name of yours so I know who you are
    That a salesperson at my door? Where my Gladius at??
    An empire always fails because it never sees the potential in the individual. The smaller state never fails because it has no choice but to... - DogSoldierSPQR

Quote Originally Posted by DogSoldierSPQR View Post
    As long as there is a keyboard and mouse option always present it shouldn't be too bad.

However, if we only have to use a controller, this will suck. I've played the same strategy game on console and PC and the keyboard and mouse just helps with fluidity of movement and is just much more comfortable. As long as there is a keyboard and mouse option, it really shouldn't be too bad.
    Given Steam's library includes an extensive number of PC-exclusive titles, there's no way to say "SteamOS only works with our controller."

I never had a problem with people playing games how they want - be that on the couch or on a desk. My main issue as a long time PC gamer is how classic PC games get dumbed down and simplified to appease the couch potato masses, ignoring the wants of the core PC crowd. I get it from a economic standpoint, you can make more money by appealing to casual gamers, since they are more numerous. It still feels crummy when one old PC franchise after another gets watered down to appease the console gamers.

My main gripe with the Steambox is that it will no doubt encourage companies to make their games playable with a controller and on tv, which in turn will lead to simplified mechanics and uis. Companies are on a tight budget, so they will aim to please the mass controller market first, and add mouse/keyboard as an afterthought. Congrats Steam, you got rich by selling PC gamers, now you too want to move into the console market.

I prefer to play total war games on my pc...

Quote Originally Posted by Piobmhor View Post
    I never had a problem with people playing games how they want - be that on the couch or on a desk. My main issue as a long time PC gamer is how classic PC games get dumbed down and simplified to appease the couch potato masses, ignoring the wants of the core PC crowd. I get it from a economic standpoint, you can make more money by appealing to casual gamers, since they are more numerous. It still feels crummy when one old PC franchise after another gets watered down to appease the console gamers.

My main gripe with the Steambox is that it will no doubt encourage companies to make their games playable with a controller and on tv, which in turn will lead to simplified mechanics and uis. Companies are on a tight budget, so they will aim to please the mass controller market first, and add mouse/keyboard as an afterthought. Congrats Steam, you got rich by selling PC gamers, now you too want to move into the console market.
    Why is there always this belief that PC games are the "hardcore" games? There are console games that are just as difficult - if not more - then some games on a PC. Heck, there are plenty of PC games that are simple as well.

Heck, some of the most famous difficult games are console games. Megaman? Ghost and Goblins? Battletoads? Those were all console games. I don't get this belief that PC gaming was where "hardcore" games were, where as consoles were for the "lazy couch potatoes".

Given Steam's library includes an extensive number of PC-exclusive titles, there's no way to say "SteamOS only works with our controller."
    Steam has put millions of dollars into the development for this, don't think for a second that they won't encourage companies to make their games playable with controllers, which means simplified mechanics and uis in games, because they sure as well won't make a seperate keyboard/mouse ui/mechanics. Steam wants a pie of the living room market, and are willing to sacrifice what makes PC games different from consoles. And I must ask, who is the target market for this? Console gamers won't flock to the steambox, they are brand loyal. Serious PC gamers who have a big rig under their desk won't shell out money for a box to play in front of the tellie, they sit on a desk with mouse and keyboard for a reason. And mind you, Valve has yet to name a price for their box. Just by glancing at the specs I would be surprised if its under 500 bucks. More like $700 and up.
    Last edited by Piobmhor; November 08, 2013 at 09:10 AM.

Why is there always this belief that PC games are the "hardcore" games? There are console games that are just as difficult - if not more - then some games on a PC. Heck, there are plenty of PC games that are simple as well.

Heck, some of the most famous difficult games are console games. Megaman? Ghost and Goblins? Battletoads? Those were all console games. I don't get this belief that PC gaming was where "hardcore" games were, where as consoles were for the "lazy couch potatoes".

I want to make clear that I don't care how people like to play their games. My problem is when my choices get limited because developers increasingly aim for the casual market, forgetting about the serious gamer that made them rich in the first place. I never said console games can't be hard, I am talking about watered down PC franchises to make them palatable to the consoleros. Console games, even NES and so on, are straight forward action oriented. PC games typically are more complex and give the player more choice. I don't want the keyboard and mouse gaming to be an afterthought, because they big players all want use to use controllers.

Console developers often times make their games for the lowest common denominator and treat their gamers as if they are idiots. Big arrows show where you have to run and tells you what button to push. Look how they simplified Skyrim, Hitman, Diablo 3, Dragon Age 2 and the list goes on. For years now classic PC games have been invaded by one button kill mechanics, recharging health bars and corridor shooting. Controllers aren't as accurate as keyboard/mouse, thus games are different. Also, PC and console gamers differ. Most PC gamers want more complex games and are in for the challenge, many console gamers just want to relax and don't care about complexity. I know these are generalizations, but they are more or less true.
    Last edited by Piobmhor; November 08, 2013 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Piobmhor View Post
    I never said console games can't be hard, I am talking about watered down PC franchises to make them palpatable to the consoleros. Console games, even NES and so on, are straight forward action oriented. PC games typically are more complex and give the player more choice.

Console developers often times make their games for the lowest common denominator and treat their gamers as if they are idiots. Big arrows show where you have to run and tells you what button to push. Look how they simplified Skyrim, Hitman, Diablo 3 and the list goes on. For years now classic PC games have been invaded by one button kill mechanics, recharging health bars and corridor shooting. Controllers aren't as accurate as keyboard/mouse, thus games are different. Also, PC and console gamers differ. Most PC gamers want more complex games and are in for the challenge, many console gamers just want to relax and don't care about complexity. I know these are generalizations, but they are more or less true.
    They're generalizations and stereotypes. PC games have never been really more 'hardcore' or more 'complex. The only difference was in their controls. Given a PC has a keyboard and mouse, they have a lot more flexibility. This enables a game to be rather complicated, given they have a LOT to work with.

Console games tend to have a more simplified, or friendly interface because they have a limited number of buttons to work with. There's just no real helping it.

This is the only key difference between a PC and a console. Those changes in gameplay you've mentioned - one button kills, corridor shooting, or regenerating health - are not something that 'consoles' caused. That's being caused by the fact gaming isn't a niche market anymore. It used to be only people who stood around in arcades all day were gamers, or playing NES or something. Games now are a hugely accepted thing, anyone and everyone wants to play them. This also means making the games as fun and accessible to people as possible.