Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Its been confirmed. ROME II steam os port.

Default Re: Its been confirmed. ROME II steam os port.

Quote Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
    They're generalizations and stereotypes. PC games have never been really more 'hardcore' or more 'complex. The only difference was in their controls. Given a PC has a keyboard and mouse, they have a lot more flexibility. This enables a game to be rather complicated, given they have a LOT to work with.

Console games tend to have a more simplified, or friendly interface because they have a limited number of buttons to work with. There's just no real helping it.

This is the only key difference between a PC and a console. Those changes in gameplay you've mentioned - one button kills, corridor shooting, or regenerating health - are not something that 'consoles' caused. That's being caused by the fact gaming isn't a niche market anymore. It used to be only people who stood around in arcades all day were gamers, or playing NES or something. Games now are a hugely accepted thing, anyone and everyone wants to play them. This also means making the games as fun and accessible to people as possible.
    I have been gaming since 1987, I would like to think I first hand experienced how the gaming market has evolved. There is a fundamental difference between console gamers and PC games. PC games have always had more complex systems such as stat points. You just have to look at the changes companies have made to classic franchises when making them for consoles. Less choice, more simplified mechanics and assistance at every corner. Just look at Diablo 3 for an example, that was made foremost with consoles in mind. No stat points, more arcadey combat and dumbed down mechanics. Same goes for Skyrim, which has totally lost its stat point system.

Whether its true or not, companies think consoleros don't want to bother with stat points, choices and a challenge, and therefore remove it from franchises. There is ample of evidence for that in the last years, just open your eyes and stop acting like its a personal thing against console gamers. How you enjoy your games I don't care as long as it doesn't infringe on what I want in games. But PC games have increasingly become an afterthought for many companies, with bad ports a plenty. Its rare that companies take PC gamer needs into account, such as FOV, UI and mouse/keyboard optimization.
    Last edited by Piobmhor; November 08, 2013 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Piobmhor View Post
    I have been gaming since 1987, I would like to think I first hand experienced how the gaming market has evolved. There is a fundamental difference between console gamers and PC games. PC games have always had more complex systems such as stat points. You just have to look at the changes companies have made to classic franchises when making them for consoles. Less choice, more simplified mechanics and assistance at every corner. Just look at Diablo 3 for an example, that was made foremost with consoles in mind. No stat points, more arcadey combat and dumbed down mechanics. Same goes for Skyrim, which has totally lost its stat point system.

Whether its true or not, companies think consoleros don't want to bother with stat points, choices and a challenge, and therefore remove it from franchises. There is ample of evidence for that in the last years, just open your eyes and stop acting like its a personal thing against console gamers. How you enjoy your games I don't care as long as it doesn't infringe on what I want in games. But PC games have increasingly become an afterthought for many companies, with bad ports a plenty. Its rare that companies take PC gamer needs into account, such as FOV, UI and mouse/keyboard optimization.
    Pretty sure PC games aren't the only thing with stat points. In fact, off the top of my head the entire "Tales of" series - a JRPG exclusive to consoles, has stat points. Final Fantasy has them too. Atelier series has them also. Disgaea has more stats then anything out there and thats a console title. White Knight Chronicles. Need I go on?

Heck, D&D on a tabletop has stat points.

And that's just completely false also. They don't think console gamers are these "lazy couchpotatos who want no challenge". If they did, why the heck is there Demon's Souls and Dark Souls? PC games and console games aren't some kind of "Elitist and casual" thing. It's just different ways to play games.

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

Good news I can have my favourite series on linux

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

Hopefully this means more game support for linux in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by SoHungover View Post
    Hardcore PC gamers are on the verge of extinction....
    Moba games are probably the most played online games in the world and starcraft II is pretty much a national sport.

Menumorut's Avatar Ducenarius

another step in preparation to be "teleported" on consoles(more money from there), no wonder this is the crappiest total war game ever
    one word for CA...Booooooo
    gold rush will lead CA in Insolvency very soon

»MY GRAPHIC WORKSHOP« UNDER THE PARONAGE OF G☼D HIMSELF »MY ROMEII FAN ART«

CA is making its own grave, very nice, i only hope its going to be deep enough to keep them there forever !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoBFhdeR9PE
    War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!

SteamOS = Obamacare... It will be a bust... Just obamacare.. HAha!

No more Mods

Quote Originally Posted by MrBoBo1 View Post
    Moba games are probably the most played online games in the world and starcraft II is pretty much a national sport.
    And you think Starcraft 2, LoL and DOTA2 players are hardcore gamers... ?

They are the equivalent of COD players on consoles... Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing LoL and DOTA sometimes but the community is so bad... raging nerds and kids with a melting pot of frustrated single old losers flaming against "noobs" trying to get the smallest ego boost they can afford...

Hardcore gamers IMO tend to care less about graphics then casual gamers. They'll often seek out obscure and older games, based on word of mouth or positive critical reception. Hardcore gamers put good game play above all else, and don't mind if a good game has poor (or even nonexistent) graphics, sound, characters and plot.

There's a difference between Professional gamers and hardcore gamers...
    The Black Box
    My custom Gaming PC
    http://pcpartpicker.com/b/Dnt

Quote Originally Posted by Fanest View Post
    CA is making its own grave, very nice, i only hope its going to be deep enough to keep them there forever !

By allowing more people to play?

And you think Starcraft 2 [...] players are hardcore gamers... ?
    Ho yes. More than TW players, imho, but the player base is larger...

And you think Starcraft 2, LoL and DOTA2 players are hardcore gamers... .
    They are. Total War series is far easier and accessible. Pretending to be elite wont change this fact. Nor does it detract from any of titles mentioned being great games.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fanest View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pachinko View Post
    SteamOS = Obamacare... It will be a bust... Just obamacare.. HAha!

No more Mods
    You guys even KNOW what SteamOS is? It's the LINUX DISTRO VALVE IS MAKING. The Steambox is A FANCY COMPUTER VALVE IS MAKING (which last I checked, you will be able to upgrade!). The Steam Controller IS A CONTROLLER DESIGNED TO WORK WITH GAMES BUILT AROUND THE MOUSE AND KEYBOARD. That's why it uses two trackpads (which are clickable) instead of joysticks. As well it has 16 buttons (that you don't even have to move your hands to press!) and a touchscreen.

All they are doing is making an OS designed for gaming, a computer that fits in the living room, and a controller designed for PC gamers.

All CA has said is that they're going to be porting over to the GAMING OS. That's not digging their own grave, that's called being smart. Do you say the same thing when a developer ports to Mac?

As well I plan on using the SteamOS on my gaming PC once it's out. I'll have my Windows install and my SteamOS install. A win-win!
    Last edited by IlluminatiRex; November 08, 2013 at 11:10 AM.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

So more people can play a dumbed down garbage game.

Do them a favor get them rome 1 with rtr, rs, or some major mod installed, show them what a good total war was like to play, before CA decided to try and make it fit on consoles, and yes they did there is no other reason to do the awful ui changes vs even shogun 2 unless you wanted press a b x y for trait, shoulder button to change trees, kinda thing going on.

Hell port rome 1 to steam box, and yes it is a pc with some wifi or wireless cards so you can run it form your couch. still it is using a controller primarilly, and controllers are the death of gaming in general, they great for sport games and action games but outside that they fail pretty hard, think back 10 15 years ago when all pc games had a keyboard card you needed because each game had 20 30 different shortcuts to memorize. Now days if it takes more than 14 buttons or w/e it doesnt get made much.

Why so many people have problems with arma a game that has a ton of shortcuts to keep track of, heck arma 2 with ace mod i had to make notecards to keep track of all my wind gauges, sight adjusts, unit groupings and so on. You toss many gamers into that and they would just give up in frustration because its too many buttonz. Exactly the major flames you see against arma in general.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cerebus23 View Post
    Do them a favor get them rome 1 with rtr, rs, or some major mod installed, show them what a good total war was like to play, before CA decided to try and make it fit on consoles,
    So first you say "show them these mods made by hardcore fans" and then say "To show them how CA used to make Total War games". Uh huh. Because vanilla Rome I isn't arcade, right.

and yes they did there is no other reason to do the awful ui changes vs even shogun 2 unless you wanted press a b x y for trait, shoulder button to change trees, kinda thing going on.
    It doesn't need to be in a straighline to do those button combinations, you could do the same with Shogun 2's UI.

Hell port rome 1 to steam box, and yes it is a pc with some wifi or wireless cards so you can run it form your couch.
    SteamBox is just Valve's system that will be running on SteamOS (Which will be free for anyone to download and use).

still it is using a controller primarilly, and controllers are the death of gaming in general, they great for sport games and action games but outside that they fail pretty hard
    Not really, I really wouldn't mind sitting back on my couch and play some Civ V, or Red Orchestra 2, or Chivalry Medieval Warfare.

, think back 10 15 years ago when all pc games had a keyboard card you needed because each game had 20 30 different shortcuts to memorize. Now days if it takes more than 14 buttons or w/e it doesnt get made much.
    Because complexity for the sake of complexity is ridiculous. Just because a game uses a lot of buttons doesn't mean it's good.

Why so many people have problems with arma a game that has a ton of shortcuts to keep track of, heck arma 2 with ace mod i had to make notecards to keep track of all my wind gauges, sight adjusts, unit groupings and so on. You toss many gamers into that and they would just give up in frustration because its too many buttonz. Exactly the major flames you see against arma in general.
    The ARMA series is a simulator, so I would expect it to be complex and mods that make it even more complex to be even more so.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.

Oh man. Red Orcheastra 2/Rising Storm on my 55inch TV...sounds fantastic.

The Great War Mod for NTW!

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by familyguy1 View Post
    Oh man. Red Orcheastra 2/Rising Storm on my 55inch TV...sounds fantastic.
    Using the flamethrower on Iwo Jima on that <3.

Running across the Bridges on Apartments. Sniping those running across the bridges on Apartments <3. That would be absolutely brilliant.

Indefinitely Banned

Soon soon the PC brigade will bow down to PS4 and XBOX1...

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tom cruise View Post

Soon soon the PC brigade will bow down to PS4 and XBOX1...
    Here's an embedded version of the video. Seriously, watch it. It's pretty enlightening on to what the Steam Controller aims to do, and how it does it.

As well, a picture of the Steam Controller.

Last edited by IlluminatiRex; November 08, 2013 at 11:56 AM.