Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SS 6.4] The Venetian Empire

Default [SS 6.4] The Venetian Empire

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    First time playing Stainless Steel - great mod!

Using v6.4 on H/H, Early Era Campaign with Lustid's AI. This is around turn 90.

My aim here is to document my campaign.

The Venetian Empire

Chapter One

The Republic of Venice has expanded greatly in the past fifty years. It is dominated by three families: House Vendramin who hold sway in the east from their fortress at Sofia; House Memo who control the south from the naval strongholds of Corinth and Athens; and House Donado who have risen to prominence in Venice itself, becoming the wealthiest family in a city full of wealth.

We hold alliances with The Holy Roman Empire, The Kingdom of Hungary and The Papal States.

The aged Doge Giustiniano Vendramin is the second successive Vendramin Doge, his father Paulo having led the Republic against The Byzantines for control of eastern Greece.

Do you want to know more?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Byzantinian War

The Byzantinian Empire had long sought to subjugate our republic and by 1105 they were encroaching on Ragusa, having occupied most of Greece. Doge Vitale Michele held the enemy on our southern border (marked on the map in light blue). Meanwhile Paulo Vendramin launched a counter attack from Zagreb, fighting his way east taking Belgrade, Scopia, Thessalonica and eventually Sofia (marked on the map in white). Galaxio Memo completed the conquest of Greece when he landed at Corinth and subsequently took the cities of Athens and Arta (marked on the map in black). Our allies at the time, The Seljuk Sultanate, took advantage of Byzantinian misfortune and conquered Constantinople and Adrianople. Thus the foe was completely defeated in mainland Greece. They have now garrisoned themselves in their remaining colonial provinces of Iraklion, Rhodes, Caffa and Oleshe.

The empire has largely been at peace since the Byzantines were defeated but recent conflicts between The Holy Roman Empire and The Seljuk Sultanate have highlighted the need to defend our borders. The military is organised both to defend strategic points and to respond effectively to foreign aggression.

1st Imperial
    General: Councillor Michael Vendramin

2nd Venetian Guard
    General: Pangratio Donado

3rd Sofian Guard
    General: Doge Giustiniano Vendramin

4th Corinthian Guard
    General: Nicolo Memo

5th Marines
    General: Palmerio Memo

6th Thessalonican Guard
    General: Reneiro Baseggio

7th Auxiliary
    General: Benghi Bragadin

Now, in the year 1199, our main concerns are the Islamic forces allayed against Christendom from the Seljuks, the Fatimids and the Moors.
    We have thus fortified our north eastern border and the 1st Imperial is stationed to the east of Sofia.

In 1195 Benghi Bragadin, Duke of Zagreb, raised a mercenary force to deal with northern rebels and has now brought this force east to support the 1st Imperial. He patrols the wildlands north of Sofia with the newly created 7th Auxiliary.

A series of forts have been built along our eastern borders to deter invasion and to guard against surprise raids. These also serve to deny Seljuk occupied Vienna the reinforcements they once sent through our lands.
    Last edited by Balor; December 14, 2013 at 06:11 PM.
    I am Balor.

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: [SS 6.4] The Venetian Empire

Looks like the start of something good, I will be following this to see where it takes you. Are you going to document your campaign continuing from this point on, or perhaps fill us in a little on how you got here?

EDIT: I forgot to mention.. 90 years old? Nice!
    Last edited by Axis Sunsoar; November 07, 2013 at 07:44 PM.

Good start, and I too wonder if you would focus on how you got here or what's coming. Either way, it sounds promising.

Thank you. I only began taking screen shots from where you see now and have no saves going that far back. However, I will write a short chapter about The Venetian - Byzantine War and post it soon.
    I am Balor.

Nice start, shall keep an eye on this. Campaign looks interesting, too. And I like your signature...

I am Strengelicher.

Greetings Strengelicher!
    I am Balor.

Chapter Two

Doge Giustiniano Vendramin ended his long life in 1200AD.

Many feared war and so our armies grew. Our once allies, the Seljuk Sultanate, were now at war with The Holy Roman Empire and, although we maintained trade agreements with the east, we endeavoured to support our brothers in Christ by hindering Seljuk reinforcements and maintaining our defences.

However, not all of Christendom was united and our Latin cousins were always causing trouble.

Doge Michael Vendramin kept watch on our eastern borders while the Genoese assailed Venice. Yet, for all their sieges and raiding, their deceit and aggression, they never once managed to mount an assault on our great city.

And our armies grew idle and our generals got fat.

For thirty odd years Doge Michael Vendramin led the empire. He forged peace with the Genoese and signed a treaty of alliance with the Grand Duchy of Kiev. He ordered the annexation of Iraklion, undertaken by Palmerio Memo and the 5th Marines, and set about a series of military reforms which improved our strength. For thirty odd years we were at peace and we were comfortable.

I am Balor.

Wolar's Avatar Tiro

Tight and to the point. It will be interesting to see how the game developes.
    Scripta manent, verba volant.

My Byzantine AAR
    My Rome II story

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Eagerly anticipating renewed Venetian conquests!

You seem to be inflicted with a multitude of elderly faction leaders, I'm surprised that at 90, the Doge shown earlier didn't outlive his heir (now 75!! )

Chapter Three

In 1233 Anzolo Vendramin, son of Michael Vendramin, became Doge of The Venetian Empire.

He inherited a rich empire, a strong military and an ambitious generation of nobles.

1st Imperial
    General: Doge Anzolo Vendramin

2nd Venetian Guard
    General: Benghi Zen

3rd Sofian Guard
    General: Ranieri Zeno

4th Corinthian Guard
    General: Albano Memo

5th Marines
    General: Ordelafo Memo

6th Imperial
    General: Jacopo Bragadin

7th Auxiliary
    General: Simon Bragadin

Though we were at peace with the neighbouring Seljuk Sultanate, Anzolo had long dreamed of capturing the famed city of Constantinople for the glory of God and the empire. His closest advisor Jacopo Bragadin counselled patience, knowing well the strength of the Seljuk foe. Their territory stretched from ancient Mesopotamia to glorious Constantinople and they were allied with the powerful Fatamid Dynasty of Egypt.

House Memo, led by the Duke of Corinth, Albano Memo, lobbied for a naval strike to weaken the Turkish forces before a launching full blown invasion of Asia Minor. This idea, though criticised as foolhardy by House Bragadin, had the appeal that decisive action often does: it combined the element of surprise with the assertion of strength and sometimes, though not often, this could be enough to win a war.

However, Anzolo knew that any war of this scale against an Islamic empire would last for at least a generation. Constantinople, if taken, would never be long allowed to remain in Christian hands and the combined forces of the Seljuks and Fatamids would have vast reserves in place to negate any immediate gains we might make. The timing would have to be right.

Anzolo waited and prepared his forces, bolstering his legions with levied troops and moving his pieces into place. He began to amass forces on our border with Seljuk owned Adrianople while Ordelafo Memo and the 5th Marines patrolled the coast of Asia Minor. In the east the Golden Horde were becoming a major concern for the Seljuks and Anzolo sent an emissary to their Khan to offer gifts of friendship. He also looked north to our new found allies and proposed a mutual pact of aggression towards the Islamic threat.

After much diplomatic wrangling The Grand Duchy of Kiev agreed to join us in a war on The Ottoman Empire and in 1242 they made the first move, blockading the Seljuk's northern ports.

The time had come for Anzolo Vendramin's war.
    I am Balor.

Greetings!

I have added a brief history of The Byzantinian War to Chapter One (click on the spoiler underneath "Do you want to know more?").

The next update will be soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Axis Sunsoar View Post
    You seem to be inflicted with a multitude of elderly faction leaders, I'm surprised that at 90, the Doge shown earlier didn't outlive his heir (now 75!! )
    Yes, Axis Sunsoar, my leaders have been blessed with longevity. Or is there a time when longevity becomes a curse?
    I am Balor.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

A good AAR you have started here, I enjoy your writing style and looking forward to the next update.

+rep
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Chapter Four

With his armies bolstered and his war plans in place, Anzolo Vendramin put his pieces into play. Jacopo Bragadin led the 6th Imperial to the outskirts of Adrianople while his son Simon took up position in the forests north of the city with the 7th Auxiliary. There they waited for the first wave of Turkish resistance.

It was a year later, in 1245, that Jacopo Bragadin, trusted friend and advisor to Doge Anzolo, fought the first battle of The Ottoman War.

From his well defended hilltop position he slaughtered the heathen foe, Venetian arrows cutting their ranks and Venetian steel finishing the job.

Simon Bragadin also won a heroic victory that spring, annihilating a large Turkish force in the misty forests of Bulgaria.

Father and son both moved to surround the fortress of Adrianople. Our spies reported masses of Fatamid and Seljuk troops crossing from Asia Minor.

Doge Anzolo had planned his attack well and, with the elite 1st Imperial, he reached Adrianople before enemy reinforcements could arrive. Our spies were able to infiltrate the fortress and Anzolo stormed the gates.

Though heavily outnumbered, Doge Anzolo forced his men on and with great losses won the day.

Jacopo and Simon Bragadin then combined forces to destroy the Seljuk reinforcement army, thereby securing Adrianople for the empire.

I am Balor.

Nice one. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing more of your battle tactics. And a technical hint: You can unselect your selected unit in a battle to make the green markings and the arrows pointing into the direction of the selected unit when it is offscreen disappear. Makes for nicer screenshots during the battles.

Your advice is appreciated Strenglicher, though I will have to get through the next chapter or two before new screenshots will be taken.

Glad you like it Shankbot.
    Last edited by Balor; December 14, 2013 at 03:15 PM.
    I am Balor.

Chapter Five

While Anzolo Vendramin and House Bragadin battled the Seljuks for control of Adrianople, House Memo played an important part in disrupting and distracting the enemy. Ordelafo Memo landed the 5th Marines at Smyrna in the winter of 1246 and with a mighty trebuchet took the city.

However, he had taken heavy losses in the assault. The Croatian Axemen in particular had proved themselves ineffective. When a large Fatamid army approached the city Ordelafo was forced to set sail for Greece.

In 1247 his older brother Albano Memo landed in Asia Minor with the 4th Corinthian Guard and made his way north, hiring mercenaries along the way. His aim was to harass the enemy supply line.

After a long march the Corinthian Guard reached Nicaea and made camp in the mountains to the west of the city. In the winter of 1250 the Seljuks attempted to dislodge Albano Memo from his position.

Though outnumbered almost two to one, Albano held firm and repelled the attacker. The battle was one of attrition, his spearmen holding the line while his Mourtatoi archers decimated the enemy ranks. Albano sent his mercenary Frankish knights into the fray at the last and, supported by a charge from his archers, they were able to turn the tide of the battle. It was a close fought but heroic victory.

After the battle, Albano Memo made for home aboard Admiral Bartolomeo's fleet. Word had reached him that the Fatamid's had landed an army at Iraklion.

The Fatamids occupied Iraklion in 1250 but Oredelafo Memo retook the city in 1262.

The war had now reached somewhat of a stalemate. Both sides had taken heavy casualties and, while Doge Anzolo prepared his armies for an assault on Constantinople, the Seljuks fought the Golden Horde on their eastern borders.

In 1257 Jacopo Bragadin took Seljuk Canakkale, easily storming the undermanned fortress.

It was not until 1262 that Doge Anzolo reached Constantinople and took the city.

After conquering Constantinople, Doge Anzolo sent an ambassador to the Seljuk Sultan. He offered the return of Canakkale and a ceasefire.

The war was over.
    I am Balor.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Nice couple of updates.

As Strenglicher suggested some more details of some of the battles would be great to get my teeth into. Maybe just the ones with the FL in etc.

+rep (when I can give it you again )

Yes, I will elaborate more on battles from now on and focus in detail on important character events.

Here's an idea which I hope you will collaborate on:

Chapter Six will be a description of the state of the empire addressed to The Council Of Ten, the advisory body to the Emperor. Afterwards I would appreciate your advice, spoken as a member of The Council of Ten. You can agree or disagree with any proposals by other members of the council or propose your own strategy to deal with looming threats. I will be voicing the thoughts of Councillor Bernardo Vendramin, Barbus Bragadin and Carlo Memo.

These are the other members of The Council Of Ten. Pick one, announce yourself and say whatever you wish.

Nicolo Donado The once great House Donado are still among the wealthiest families in Venice but have had little influence since the empire expanded east. Mainly concerned with Italian politics.
    Michael Zeno Duke of Sofia, from a line of capable generals who owe everything to House Vendramin. Concerned about maintaining our northern borders.
    Francisco Caravello Wealthy merchant family based in Constantinople.
    Antonio Paulo Duke of Thessalonica, a city famous for its theological college and huge Cathedral.
    Palmerio Contanto Wealthy merchant family based in the island city of Iraklion.
    Antonio Toderino Veteran soldier, now retired. Captain of the Emperor's Bodyguard during The Ottoman War.
    Paulo Bimi Veteran sailor, now retired. Admiral during The Ottoman War.
    Last edited by Balor; December 23, 2013 at 08:08 PM.
    I am Balor.

Chapter Six

The year is 1300 and our empire is at peace. We are allied to The Grand Duchy of Kiev, Hungary, The Holy Roman Empire and England. The Golden Horde are at war with the Fatamids and The Seljuks, whom they have cornered in Canakkale. Doge Luca Vendramin, son of Doge Anzolo The Wise, is emperor.

The Council Of Ten (Meeting in Constantinople, Winter 1300AD)

Councillor Bernardo Vendramin

I have called this council to prepare a strategy. Our current peace and prosperity is under threat. The Golden Horde is at the border of Christendom and our empire stands in its way... Can they resist glorious Constantinople? Well, if they try I will resist. The 8th Constantinian Guard will not succumb so easily.You know me. And you know my father. And you know that he is far north now with the 1st Imperial, having recently taken the fortress of Targoviste. It may be that he must remain there for some time, for The Golden Horde has reached our northern borders also.

West of here, Barbus Bragadin leads the 6th Imperial and holds the bridge south of Adrianople.

To the southwest, The Golden Horde has laid siege to Canakkale, trapping the remainder of the once mighty Seljuk forces. Barbus is of the opinion that we should relieve our once hated enemy and attack the threat head on. I am not so sure. There is yet the chance for diplomacy and, if possible, we might look to divert The Golden Horde away from our cities. Carlo, what say you?

Carlo Memo

House Memo is not afraid of war... my father Ordelafo and his brother Albano fought the Seljuk foe bravely and the Mongols know nothing of naval warfare. We will have that advantage. However, do we even have the men to fight such a horde? We are only now recovering from the strain of The Ottoman War. If they flood from the north and the south we will be forced to retreat behind our walls. And then where will our reinforcements come from? Corinth? Even Corinth has not enough men to fight a horde such as this. And once our eastern castles are under siege there will only be our western city militias ... no match for hardened warriors such as these.

I would advise caution Councillor... perhaps The Golden Horde can be persuaded to march on Egypt.
    Last edited by Balor; December 23, 2013 at 08:59 PM.
    I am Balor.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Antonio Toderino speaks, "We have a good force in the North, yet that is our safest border. I say we move some of those troops south in readiness for any Mongol threat and let Hungary deal with any forces the Mongols throw there. However I would also advise not throwing caution in the wind and attacking the Mongols first, we are better off waiting and reacting to what they do... who knows diplomacy could work?"

"If that fails and war begins we can use our Navy to our advantage, containing the Mongol movements to land, where our defensive borders are secure - the problem will come if we push into Asia Minor - our Navy wont' be able to support us unless we stick to the coasts and the Mongols probably have a better knowledge of the ground then we do at this moment in time. Hence, I think we should stay on the defensive and use Memo's 5th Marines to launch small, precise attacks when the Mongols present a weak coastal border, withdrawing before they react. The 7th Auxiliary would be useful to support these attacks, providing reinforcements if needed."

"If we can secure some more funds the raising of an 9th Auxiliary could also prove useful if the Mongols do decide to attack, what do you men think?"
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; December 24, 2013 at 05:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast