Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SS 6.4] The Venetian Empire

Default Re: [SS 6.4] The Venetian Empire

Councillor Bernardo acknowledges Antonio Toderino, "Wise advice Antonio, though I believe my father and the 1st Imperial will be kept in Targoviste for a year at least. Carlo, are the 5th Marines ready for war?"

Carlo Memo: "Yes Councillor, the 5th are highly trained and well equipped. They will prove themselves if the time comes. My cousin Zuane Memo commands them."

Councillor Bernardo: "That is good. Yet, as we all acknowledge here, we will need more men to fight The Golden Horde. Another legion must be raised, no matter the cost. And the cost may be high..."

Palmerio Contanto rises to speak, "I am but a merchant, Councillor. My city has grown rich these past years from your father's leadership, from the peace he maintained. Yet we still remember when war came to our island. Our city was mercilessly sacked by the heathen Egyptian in 1250. Perhaps, as you say, Iraklion is safe now, for our navy is strong. Perhaps too it is time to acquire a new colony abroad? If the Mongols are truly bent on war then we will need more resources to repel them and to maintain our armies, even without the massive cost of raising another legion. After all, is it not said 'the sinews of war are unlimited money'? If war happens now our coffers will be empty within five years, maybe less. War disrupts all trade..."

Councillor Bernardo: "A new colony Palmerio? And where, pray tell, would we acquire such a thing? Start another war with Egypt? Or maybe take it from the Sicilians? It seems like the only reasonable option would be to take some land off these bloated Mongols... Its not such a bad idea I suppose. But still one that entails war with the horsemen."

Carlo Memo offers a suggestion, "The Marines are capable of taking any coastal city, providing the timing is right. Holding one, however, is a different matter. They would need support. A lot of support, one would imagine."

Councillor Bernardo: "Yes, and then we are back where we started. We need another legion. Maybe more than one. Still, to hold the horde at Constantinople... and then open another battlefront far from the empire... this would be both militarily beneficial and, as Palmerio has pointed out, good for the coffers. I am intrigued. Are there any other suggestions?"

Last edited by Balor; December 25, 2013 at 09:55 PM.
    I am Balor.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Antonio Toderino speaks, "So the Marines can take any coastal city - but who says we need to hold it? By raiding some of the Mongol's coastal cities we can bolster our coffers without having to risk trying to defend a city in Asia Minor which is cut off from our empire. This would provide the funds need to equip and train a new legion whilst we hold them at bay at Constantinople which can be reinforced as and when against the Mongol thread, without a Navy where else can they attack?"

"More so I would advise bringing the 1st Imperial down after the year is out and send the new legion to the North - the benefits of this are much greater, first the North for now is secure and troops can be moved there to garrison when they are ready instead of having to wait for an entire legion, and second the Imperial are a highly trained and experienced body of men. They will be more than a match for the Mongol's then a freshly trained legion."

"Your thoughts, gentlemen?"
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Councillor Bernardo laughs, "Antonio, you may be one of the oldest men here, yet you are also one of the sharpest. It is no wonder my grandfather kept you around. I will send word to my father advising him to bring the 1st south as soon as he can manage. Raiding Mongol settlements would surely be a bold statement, for have they not sacked a thousand cities? Yes... if we are to fight this Golden Horde than we must use every tactic at our disposal. If they choose to attack us they will show no mercy. We shall give none either."

Carlo Memo raises his voice, "Perhaps, once we have softened them up, we might establish a permanent colony? The merchant Palmerio is right to consider the long term profits in this. If war comes and we beat back the horde, the Fatamids will look to take advantage of our success and expand. To replace one horde with another would lack foresight. I, for one, do not wish to see an Egyptian presence in Asia Minor again."

Palmerio Contanto agrees, "The profits would be... substantial. A city such as Antioch would more than account for its own defences. A colony there would ensure Venetian control of the eastern trade routes."

Councillor Bernardo: "I am beginning to see the potential in this war, if war it is to be. And this is now the crux of the matter gentlemen. Our neighbours are trapped in their last remaining fortress, Canakkale. Surrounded by The Golden Horde and without hope of relief they will surely perish. So would end the Seljuk Sultanate, leaving the Mongols with unfettered control of Asia Minor. As galling as it may be to ally ourselves with a former enemy, Barbus Bragadin advises that we relieve the Turks. He believes that if we support them now and push back the Mongol horde we shall gain ourselves a vassal and a buffer state in Asia Minor. This, he asserts, would give us the opportunity of attacking with great strength and then tactically retreating behind Seljuk lines to reinforce our legions. He is a great general and a clear thinker... perhaps he is right to take such an initiative, considering that war looks inevitable. Have you any thoughts on this?"
    Last edited by Balor; December 26, 2013 at 10:41 AM.
    I am Balor.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Antonio Toderino speaks, "I do not trust the Turks gentlemen, but I see merit in what you suggest so I agree, it would be useful to have that buffer. Whilst we have force around there may I suggest a path for the 5th Marines? An attack against the Crimea region of the horde would allow us to exploit our naval advantage in the Black Sea, which is mostly surrounded by the horde - allowing for easy strikes into their heartland. From there we could even try and capture Trebizond, which whilst isolated would be colony easily resupplied from the sea."

"However Councillor Contanto also makes a good point about raiding Antioch or one of the other rich coastal cites in that area. Adana could be capture which is another easily defend region that can be supplied from Sea, and from Armenia offence could be launched down the Holy Land." He paused and looks at the map, "However if we chose this option caution is needed, Antioch is dangerously close to the Fatamid Empire and that could draw us into a conflict with them before we are ready."

Councillor Bernardo rises to conclude the meeting, "I will send word to my father telling him of your advice today. Ultimately he will decide our course of action but to me war seems inevitable. We must fight this horde or be consumed by it. I would ask that you all remain in Constantinople for the time being. Your advice maybe called upon again in due course. One thing seems clear to me, we cannot lose this city. We cannot lose Constantinople."

I am Balor.

Chapter Seven

The year is 1329 and we are on the cusp of war.

In 1301 the Golden Horde utterly destroyed the Seljuk Sultanate at Canakkale. In that year also the Egyptians managed to evade our navy and landed an invasion force at Iraklion. They sacked the city the following year. These developments led Doge Luca, stationed in the northern fortress of Targoviste, to send an envoy to the Golden Horde and forge an alliance. After the 5th Marines retook Iraklion in 1307, he also made peace with the Egyptians; a peace which, though uneasy, has lasted to this day.

In 1317 Bernardo Vendramin became Emperor. He had long advised his father to attack the Mongols and now set about preparing his forces for such an endeavour.

By 1327 he had raised two more legions, the 9th Imperial, intended as an invasion force for the coming war against the Mongols, and the 10th Northern Guard, stationed in Targoviste. He also renamed the 3rd Sofian Guard the 3rd Eastern Guard, and moved it to Adrianople.

Here is how our forces now stand, strong and war ready.

1st Imperial
    Morosino da Zara

2nd Venetian Guard
    Vito da Cattaro

3rd Eastern Guard
    Facio da Venzone

4th Corinthian Guard
    Marino Quintaville

5th Marines
    Piero Venier

6th Imperial
    Barbus Bragadin

7th Auxiliary
    Zane Dona

8th Constantinian Guard
    Doge Bernardo Vendramin

9th Imperial
    Zuane Memo

10th Northern Guard
    Polo Rosso

Like his predecessors, Doge Bernardo has shown himself to be a clever and cautious man. He understands that our forces alone weighed against the huge Mongol Empire have small chance of prevailing. Thus he has stirred up war between our allies Hungary and our so called allies the Golden Horde. When forced to make a choice between said allies, Doge Bernardo outwardly sided with the Mongols, though secretly sent financial support to Hungary.

Doge Bernardo also managed to have a friendly pope elected, ensuring the ascendance of Pope Ionnas IV of Venice.

The Council of Ten (Meeting in Constantinople, Summer 1329AD)

List Of Characters

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    As well as Doge Bernardo, I will voice the opinions of the following three characters:

Barbus Bragadin Councillor to Doge Bernardo, Barbus Bragadin is a legendary general in command of the 6th Imperial.
    Piero Venier Commands the 5th Marines and represents House Memo at the Council of Ten (Carlo Memo died of plague in 1314).
    Palmerio Contanto An aged and wealthy merchant from Iraklion.

These six characters are available if you wish to participate. Pick one and stick to that character. Say whatever you wish and offer any thoughts you have about strategy. For an example of this process scroll back to Shankbot de Bodemloze's past contributions.

Antonio Paulo Duke of Thessalonica, a city famous for its theological college and huge Cathedral.
    Zane Dona Master of The Horse, Duke of Sofia and commander of the 7th Auxiliary. Middle aged and unlikely to lead men to war.
    Nicolo Donado From the ancient and wealthy Donado family based in Venice. Is mostly concerned with Italian politics.
    Venerio Caravello A young noble from a wealthy merchant family based in Constantinople.
    Facio da Venzone Commands the 3rd Eastern Guard, based in Adrianople.
    Giovanni Sanuto Admiral in the Venetian Navy. Personally commands the fleet which transports the 5th Marines.

Shankbot de Bodemloze will continue his role as Antonio Toderino.

Antonio Toderino
    A former captain of Doge Anzolo's bodyguard, Antonio Toderino is the oldest man on the council. His advice has been valued by three successive Vendramin Emperors and he retains his sharpness despite his advanced years.

Doge Bernardo enters the stately hall and takes his seat at the end of the huge oak table. The Council of Ten, after rising at his entrance, take their seats also. The meeting has begun.

"Gentlemen, I will not keep you long. This is the plain and truth of it: war is coming and we will be the instigator. As you know, we have been preparing an attack on the Golden Horde for some time. However, we will not fight this war alone. Pope Ionnas IV, at our request, has called a crusade on the city of Baghdad, deep in Mongolian territory. Already our allies England have joined the crusade as well as Genoa, Sicily and Norway. More will also be tempted, of this we can be sure. With any luck we will have a Christian ally in Mesopotamia by the time we establish a colony in Antioch."

"Our Hungarian friends also fight the horde in the north and the 1st Imperial is ready to support them. Commanded by Morosino da Zara, the 1st will move for the Crimea and look to hold that area for the Empire.

Piero Venier, you will take the 5th Marines and raid Mongol settlements around the Black Sea.

Once we have made the first move I will wait for the Mongol counter attack here at Constantinople while Barbus will hold his position south of Adrianople. My son, Vito, is raising a crusading force and, if we can smash the first wave of Mongols here, on these great walls, he can strike deep into Asia Minor and inflict great damage on the enemy's resources.

Finally, Zuane Memo and the 9th Imperial have set sail for Antioch. When the time is right they will take and hold the city at all costs.

We must be swift and strong and merciless.

That, gentlemen, is our strategy."
    Last edited by Balor; January 19, 2014 at 09:01 AM.
    I am Balor.

Citizen

Blog Entries

--

I posted below because I wanted to comment on the on-going conversation.
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; January 19, 2014 at 04:43 PM.

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Nicolo Donado Looks at the emperor, and voices his thoughts. "A solid plan of attack and expansion into the eastern theater, my Emperor, but what about our homelands. One must always be prepared for a knife in the back, and if our current maps are anything to judge by, the empires of the Germans, Britains, and Sicilians are all very powerful, and no doubt seeking to expand further. Do we have the necessary precautions in place to guarantee the safety of the City of Canals, or the rest of our true homelands?"

Doge Bernardo replies, "Ah Nicolo, from the ancient and noble House Donado. It is only right that you are concerned for the safety of Venice, and do not think that we abandon her completely. We have sent word that her garrison is to be doubled and my second son, Zane, is to take the 7th Auxiliary and deal with the western and southern rebels. He will maintain a force near Venice and will act accordingly to any aggression.

However, we believe that our allies England and the Holy Roman Empire will hold true to their vows of friendship to us. And, as you know, the Genoese and Sicilians are currently at war so it is not likely that Venice will come under threat in the near future. But then who can really say what the future holds? Sicily, as you say, is very strong. And the Polish to the north seem restless. If another legion is needed in the west then we shall raise another."

Last edited by Balor; January 19, 2014 at 02:41 PM.
    I am Balor.

Nicolo Donado bows to the Emperor. Of course, I merely wished to raise the concern. After all, as we well know, and ally is only a friend so long as it suits him. But, it seems you have prepared well for anyone who wishes to take advantage of any percieved weakness or exposure of our capitol.

Doge Bernardo replies, "And Venice should be happy they have someone like you representing them here, Nicolo. It is my hope that the western kingdoms will be too distracted by the crusade on Baghdad to be tempted by Venice. Rest assured that any aggression in the west will be severely punished."

Palmerio Contanto clears his throat, "My lord, I am but an old merchant. Yet, my family has been more affected by war than many in this room. Twice has Iraklion been sacked by the Egyptians. I have seen my house and my business in ruins, my neighbours murdered and my own son crippled by the cruel heathen foe. I accepted the judgement of your father, may god rest his soul, when he made peace with the Fatamids. I held my tongue. Yet now I must speak. We have to hit at Egypt now lest they take advantage of this war and raid again Iraklion, or perhaps even strike at Greece. There is no doubt in my mind that they will use our distraction to their benefit. They may fight the Mongol also but they have never been, and will never be, our friend. I would counsel that you send some daring general with a mercenary force to raid their homeland."

Doge Bernardo
    addresses the room, "Is there anything to be said for the venerable merchant's suggestion? What are your thoughts on this matter?"

I am Balor.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Antonio Toderino wrinkles his brow in concentration, "My liege, I cannot support an offensive into Egypt as well as the numerous Mongol campaigns, it will spell disaster. Indeed do we even have the funds for such an attack? We need to consider the strategic importance of Crete, we could reinforce it with the 4th and have it as the defensive frontier for the south, or leave it and hope the alliance with Egypt holds until the Mongols are dealt with and pull the garrison back to Greece as the new defensive frontier? To me both seem equally viable options."

"As towards your general strategy could I make a suggestion? Instead of having the 9th go for Antioch maybe Adana would be a better target - it won't bring in as much wealth, for sure, but it is easier to defend until the crusading force can march its way into Asia Minor and continue the offensive. If it is wealth we want then sacking Antioch and then capturing Adana to hold until the crusaders arrive might be an option. Although such an action could provoke the Fatamids, after all Antioch is a holy city, thus I would still favour the first option."

"And Nicolo, fear not for Venice will not fall as long as I can still draw a sword!"

Barbus Bragadin agrees, "Well put Antonio, to move on Egypt now would overstretch our forces. We should reinforce Iraklion as best we can but we can afford no more invasions. In fact, if the Marines do not succeed in sacking some Mongol cities soon we will be bankrupt. As for the 9th, well Zuane Memo may indeed find it difficult to hold Antioch for long. Perhaps Adana would be easier defended."

Doge Bernardo: "It is not an easy thing we aim for gentlemen, no. However, I am convinced it is something we must do. We must break the power of this barbarian horde or we can never feel safe and we can never prosper. I believe in our strategy, yet you have given me much to consider. Palmerio, I will send word that the garrison at Iraklion be doubled. I cannot consent to moving the 4th Corinthian Guard out of Greece at this time. Let us hope that the Egyptians see more profit in fighting the Golden Horde than raiding our cities. Antonio, though the long term plan in the east is to gain Antioch as a colony, Zuane Memo will decide his own fate once he lands with the 9th Imperial. He may decide, like you, that capturing a fortress is the way to hold that land until the Horde is broken. We must put our trust in him to make the right decision. Is there any other matter to be brought before the council?"
    I am Balor.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Antonio Toderino's face remains impassive as the Doge speaks, "If as Barbus says are coffers are near empty how do you plan to pay for the increased garrison on Crete? If we are in a time of war can our taxes be increased any more?"

"Also, do we know of the relations between the Fatamids and the Kingdom of Sicily?

Doge Bernardo raises an eyebrow at Antonio Toderino, "We will find the resources to protect our borders, Antonio. We can move troops from Athens and the Greek cities if necessary. The Marines will raise funds for the war effort in their sacking of Asia Minor, of this I am sure. They have not failed us before. We must give everything to this conflict for our survival depends on it. If we cannot break the horde they will overrun us.

As for Sicily, well our spies report that they are moving troops across Africa to either fortify their borders with the Fatamids or, perhaps, to invade Egypt itself. Let us hope it is the latter."

Palmerio Contanto speaks, "I thank you for your commitment to defend Iraklion, Emperor, but I fear it will not be enough. I predict the Fatamids will sack my home yet again. I bow to your judgement but I must ask that you reconsider my plan at a later date. Perhaps when the Egyptians again break the gates of Iraklion and insult the Empire you too will seek vengeance".

I am Balor.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Antonio Toderino scoffs, "Palmerio don't play the patriotic card - you are only concerned because the Fatamid raids are affecting you!"

Nicolo agrees with Antonio. "Bah, you desire money and nothing else. If you truly cared, would you not draw a blade and defend the town yourself?"

Doge Bernardo raises a hand, "Enough! Palmerio, we will keep all options open but for now you must return to Iraklion and do what you can to bolster the city's defences. Piero Venier, you and the marines will leave Constantinople immediately. God speed.

Gentlemen, we are at war. The empire requires that you give everything to the cause. Go now to your homes and prepare yourselves."

IMPORTANT
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Unfortunately my CD drive is not working anymore so I cannot play MT2W for a while. It may be some time before my next update.

I am Balor.

Citizen

Blog Entries

No worries, I'll look forward to the next update.

+rep

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12