Thread: Unidentified CTD

SlartyBartfast's Avatar Decanus

Default Unidentified CTD

Please help,
    I have tried to play this mod for the last month, but the mod crashes to desktop without warning during almost every battle. I have tried everything and am at my wits end and ready to give up on this fantastic looking mod. I have a new rig with Windows 8, an Ati 7850 GPU, and an I7 cpu. RTW, BI and Alexander all work fine, as do other games.

Other things I have tried: Numerous fresh install of base games and mod in program files x86 and plain program files folder, after cleaning with Ccleaner and also manually removing entries from registry and deleting old folders; reinstalling Windows 8; different graphics card; turning off and adjusting all graphics options and sound options. But always, with different heroes or no heroes, always a ctd, sometimes after a few seconds, sometimes after minutes. Sometimes, rarely, I manage to complete a battle, but the next one will crash. The computer is not overheating. I have tried various combinations of units, leaving others out, and the same thing happens in campaign battles. Does no one else have this problem? I suspect it might be a Windows 8 issue, however compatibility modes make no difference or make the matter worse.

Any useful suggestions? This is a mod-breaking problem for me.
    "Huh?"

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Unidentified CTD

..im seeing a few of these win 8 problems lately....check that its running on all cores then change to 1 or 2 cores see if that works

Good suggestion... but it did not help. Thanks anyway, GRANTO.
    "Huh?"

instal the whole lot outside of program files...instal into documents or somewhere else , both program files and x86 can be bad places to put games

No luck, mate. Cheers for trying.
    "Huh?"

hmm.. it must be the mod somehow ...manualy instal it , delete maps rwm and use the alexander.exe instead of the instal one...if its not happening with other mods or the original game ...good chance its the mod ...make sure its running on dx9 also
    ps...i have it on win 7 and never had a crash that i can remember i find it to be a very stable well made mod
    Last edited by GRANTO; November 05, 2013 at 05:42 PM.

Lots of good ideas. How exactly do I go about these things though?

1: A manual install. 2: Delete maps rwm. 3. Use Alexander.exe to run Aristeia. 4: Make sure it's running on dx9.
    "Huh?"

make sure your graphics card is some how using dx 9...it may be set to dx 11

That didn't help. I noticed though, when i added -dx9 to the shortcut, that the following was already there: -nm -show_err -mod:aristeia. It's probably not significant.
    "Huh?"

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...3#post13390953 read this #7, it seems possible that sega version of rome total war is more stable than activision version on win 8

I have the Sega version. Also, although I have not tested them extensively, the vanilla games, ie Rome, BI, and Alexander, all seem to work fine.
    "Huh?"

what im hearing more and more is that gamers playing rome tw and mods are jumping back to win 7 because win 8 is very unstable for this game,
    it may however in time {with windows updates and drivers} become fine.....

Is it possible to install Windows 7 on a Windows 8 system, and then run it as Windows 7? Should I install it on an external drive?
    "Huh?"

erm dunno....but this was posted by dk901 on the rs2 forum ,I suspect that the DirectX (11) that is in Win8 may be incompatible with RTW, so I suggested the solution that DirectX9.0c files be copied into the RTW folder so that RTW sees and uses them first. It 'appears' this may be a solution........may be the solution

I reinstalled DirectX 9.0c, but alas, no luck. How exactly do I install it into the RTW folder? DirectX seems to install automatically into wherever it goes; it doesn't seem like I can control its installation directory -- or at least I don't know how to do that as yet. I appreciate your persistence GRANTO.
    "Huh?"

i think you need to get the dx9c files from an xp windows folder and put then in the rtw folder so the exe reads them before the win 8 dx 11 , i have an xp laptop have a look at that,
    in the long term im likely to encounter this problem myself , so getting to the root of it now will be good instead of trying to do it way down the line

Any idea where I could obtain dx9c files? I don't have access to an xp machine. You couldn't attach them for me? Or is that not allowed?
    "Huh?"

dunno i will have a look at what can be done....EDIT this is a link to dx9c that allows you to choose the extraction path upon instal then all the files are zipped...i would instal it into a folder try unzipping them all into your rtw folder {next to data/bi/alex miles ..etc}...{the green download button bellow the large green X} http://www.filehorse.com/download-directx/
    Last edited by GRANTO; November 14, 2013 at 09:12 PM.

Re: the dx 9 link you provided, I'm pretty sure that even if I extract it into the rtw folder, when I run dxsetup it will install into the place where directx is usually installed. I've tried it a couple of times now, with your link and one I found previously, and that seems to be what is occurring. It doesn't allow me to choose installation path, only where I want the installation files extracted to.

The CTD certainly seems to be a problem confined to the Aristeia mod. Other mods for RTW work fine.
    Last edited by SlartyBartfast; November 18, 2013 at 02:10 PM.
    "Huh?"

I've just had this too. Right as my spearmen go to clash with House of Bellerophon cavalry....CTD Windows 8 for me too. I don't get it as all other RTW mods work fine.