Aneirin's Avatar of flowing verse

Default Re: {DIK}Discussion

Now you will find my mod on ModDB as well
    Proud son of Aikanár and brother of Iskar

claymore833's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Neadal View Post
    Now you will find my mod on ModDB as well
    Thanks , I can't download anything from drive.google, now I can download the new version from moddb!

I would like to make a request, could you please add paintings of battles from this period instead of screenshots on the loading screens? I know it's a bit too early to ask that but are you planning to add custom cities one day(I think it would be epic to fight battles in cities like Florence, Rome, Venice...etc)? Please keep the good work, I'm loving this mod!

I also thought about that, because the loading screens show the old units
    About the cities.. I don't know, I'm not that good in 3D modelling ...
    But yes you're right would be awesome

Thanks for the quick reply!
    I would like to make a bug report: Yesterday I wanted to take a look at some of the new units, I decided to play a battle at the Tuscany map and it was full of water!All my guys and enemies died instantaneously! I guess it's probably really hard to swim with armor on
    And I don't want to rush the devolopment of this mod by any means, but please give us that translation to english soon! Just try to imagine how frustrating it is for a non-german speaker to see all those cool events happening and not having a tinny clue what they all mean

And now somethings I would like to know:
    1- Do you have any plans for adding new sounds and smoke effects for the arquebusiers and cannons.
    2- Are you going to add historical battles like Marignano and Ravenna?
    3- Are you going to create a new soundtrack for this mod?
    Really enjoying this mod so far, I'm going to keep an eye on the news for it

Oh yes, I know this bug
    Till yet, I didn't find some time to fix it ...
    Sure... I could translate all historic_events.. so you can play it at least a little bit?
    Would that be an idea?

The export_ancillaries, export_units are still half translated.. maybe I release them later and give you now a translation with all full translated files as well as the historic_events

1- Did you see the video for the Marines? These are the new smoke effects
    2- No, sorry.. maybe, when I find some time to create historical battles
    3- Well, not really, only in the menu there is a new sound

Thank's a lot

Edit: Updated the crossbowmen for the Order of St. John, now they are more suitable
    Last edited by Aneirin; May 03, 2014 at 02:56 PM.

A translation for the historic events would be awesome!!!
    I haven't checked the video for the Marines where I can find it?
    Those crossbowmen are looking sexy, nice job
    Unfortunately my pc is at my old house(parents house) and as I live and study on another city I only come here on the weekends, so I won't be able to follow this mod's progress for some time, but probably next weekend or on the other one I will give you my honest feedback of the new stuff! I'm expecting to have my translation done until next weekend! Just kidding, take as much time as you need for it

3 more things: Can you reduce the speed of pike units while marching, they just look way too fast for someone carrying a huge and heavy pike!
    I think that units while routing run away to fast, I know they are running for their lives, but it seems a bit exaggerated
    Have you changed the economy for this mod? I remember back in vanilla Medieval 2 you only had to cap a few cities and you would become really rich, which was way to easy. On this mod I have to get higher taxes on every territory and still I'm always with low money! I think this make it a lot more challenging since I got to think twice before recruiting or building something.
    Well, that's all I got for this weekend. Hopefully next weekend I will be back to my parents house and keep criticizing your mod
    Have a nice week and keep up the good work!

Can you reduce the speed of pike units while marching, they just look way too fast for someone carrying a huge and heavy pike!
    I think that units while routing run away to fast, I know they are running for their lives, but it seems a bit exaggerated
    This problem with the Stadtgardischen/halbedier militia is known and being worked on, as far as I know.

I'm currently working on the translations for various texts and can happily inform you that the historic events have been completed. Now working on traits.

I haven't checked the video for the Marines where I can find it?
    Here's the link to the video.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5-...it?usp=sharing

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for me.

Updated. Video now works.
    Last edited by Theramines; May 04, 2014 at 03:05 PM. Reason: updated link

Yes, I changed some entries in the settlement_mechanics

About the olympic pikemen.. I tried to fix it, but they are still quite fast ..

@Theramines: Sorry mate, but this was just the first part.. I'll send you the other part within the next days..

Also I've updated the link to the video.. now it should be working again

No worries, Neadal, I'll get stuck into them. I'm glad to help hard-working modders.

Thank's mate

So the Ferrarese units are done
    I will now begin with the Swabian Confederation, that will be a lot of skinning work.
    Of course I'll show you some of their events and other features

Today I've finished the second part of the historic_events, I sent it right away to Theramines to let him check my translation.
    The remaining files (ancs and unit describtions) will be done to the end of this month, so I could release the english translation during June
    I hope that suit you

Regards Neadal

Foederatus

Hello.
    I downloaded DIK 3.3 from ModDB (or at least not here). There was an hotfix there (historical_event.txt) but my Kingdoms installation was still unpacked.
    So I did not installed that hotfix.
    I played the main campaign alone with Papal States but now at the end of turn 82 (1513 year) the game crashes.

Then I was here looking for a patch. I found there is a 3.2 Patch but can't say for which version that may work.
    Tried to make it go but couldn't run it (Windows says I have no privileges for running the file, that usually means a sort of corrupted file..at least I am administrator of my Windows account) (maybe a problem of my system however).

Well, here it my starting point.

Now some comments.

First this mod is really cool. I really like it.
    I found lot of good scripts, graphics and a really nice campaign map. I loved the many details and improvements in battle and out of the battle.
    Also I could see great improvements in AI diplomatics..they now behave more intelligently and what's more they do not ally to each other just to kill you. I could stop Naples conquering my unguarded Rome by diplomatically offering them one of my towns and now fighting the Florentians despite he is a Naples' ally. Not sure a vanilly could ever accepted that offer
    Well done, I can see there is a really great job behind many things.

Unfortunately I can't speak German except for very very very few words. Google translator helped me for key warnings but I have lost most of work on the events and so on.

Of course I am a pro player so I could win each campaign, no matter the faction I choose if fighting AI factions but I have to say this mod was HARD and EXCITING to me as well...so my BEST congratulations to its designer!

I also enjoyed campaign map making...care for details, roads, valleys and dead paths around main rivers...I could see there had been great work trying to recreate italian homeland with key terrain constraints. I also loved to see so many factions and town all around and appreciated a lot that some towns could not expand too much larger.

This mod is FULL of minor features that basically make the whole a great stand..think to limits for spies or assassins numbers, three units supported into forts instead of two, barbarian towns so hard to be conquered with reinforcements coming out with their general...it's incredible how many "new" things I could found here mate!! I am not sure but could also say there is some AI enhancement also in battle. AI units seemed to me less idiot than they usually are, just my impression, not sure there is some mod behind that.

Units balancement is great also.
    Pikemen and lancers now have their reason to be and their difference, guns sound is amazing together with decreasing their lethality....larger units also..there is really a long list of excellent design choices that made me very very happy with this mode.
    Money is not "easy time" but not impossible as well. I had to be careful at the beginning but it's ok ..I can get it working.
    Maybe mercenaries should become more rare but that's ok after all.

I now believe this could be a MUST for any of my hotseat campaigns!

Now I know there is a new version coming out, of course can't wait to look for it!
    I hope not only for new graphics enhancement but also some new factions like Siena or Genoa also. Some more arabs into north afrika also.

Now some questions:

1 - most vital is about hotfix of course. I have read through the messages posted here there is a FULL PATCHED GAME download also.
    PLEASE can you UPDATE the main page with correct links? I dowloaded a version like that from here but discovered it's only 246MB. It's a rar file and its size if different from the 388MB of the version that I have now currently installed..that one crashing.
    Can you update your main post http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-DIK-Downloads
    putting there ALL latest available downloads together with needed hotfix possibly putting the most "patched" version available in one link only?
    I am in total confusion about what to do to let my campaign go on now...I would like to download a complete version then try to open my last campaign save file and hope I can go further.

2. Can you Update that page (or create new) with a sticky description about factions in case of hotseat play? I mean this great mod needs more "marketing" advertise from you because I believe it is really worthy a play..I really tried it randomly...only after that I found it's great.
    I am asking about more "sticky" pages here with better overall description...features, factions, and so on.
    There is a lot about graphics, less about what I am asking for.
    Description is mandatory for those who would like to play hotseat this campaign

3 - I love German language but can't speak unfortunately and I don't think this mod should stay in Germany only. It deserves more people. As for me once you have ready the English translation I may be happy to help for an italian translation too. Think that for your version 4

4 - Am I wrong or...there is some lack for...music/soundtrack in general? Hope that may change in version 4

Ok
    Hope you can do your best for 1-2 issues cause I would like to go on my papal campaign
    Thanks for reading.

Hey Faraxuis

First of all, how to fix your Problem:

1. Delete the whole Italian_Wars folder, but first save the your saves
    2. Install Version 3.3
    3. Then follow this path Italian_Wars/data/text
    4. Here search for the file historic_event file and delete it
    5. Then extract my hotfix.rar onto your desktop
    6. Copy and paste the file "historic_events" which you will find inside the folder into the text folder
    7. Then restart your old game, now it should work

In case not let me know

To 1:
    Just check out the Download thread there is the latest version 3.3, the version you found in here is an older one, I guess 3.2 or something like that
    But I will make it easer to find the latest version, as well as the patches.

To 2:
    Which page do you mean, this here or the on ModDB?
    Sure, I can, but will take some time

To 3:
    Thank's for your offer, I'll get back to you for that issue

To 4:
    What do you mean exactly?
    On the strat map, during battles?

Well, a lot!! of thank's for your comment
    Especially, to get praise from a italian is awesome because this mod is mainly about your countries history.
    That motivates a lot!

Yes, there is a AI mod, just have look at the credits
    About the new factions, well there will a be a new one, but it's the "Swabian League".
    I already thought about Siena and Genua, but the map is too small.. BUT I've got a new map and for the version after 4.0, this will be 5.0 and the final version, you will get a new and much bigger map, so that I can integrate new factions like, Siena, Genua, Modena, Ferarra,...

Regards Neadal
    Last edited by Aneirin; May 14, 2014 at 10:31 AM.

Foederatus

Yes I could really appreciate a lot this mod...especially for designing my own country
    I feel very happy with it

Now about my homeworks

Well...I decided to go from scratch..
    I removed the whole directory Italian_wars except for save files.
    I then downloaded version 3.3 from here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5-...it?usp=sharing
    In case you can't recognize it I am referring to DOWNLOADS topic from this forum ..the one from where I am typing such comment
    Here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-DIK-Downloads

After that I unzipped the Hotfix I got from ModDb replacing the older Historic_events.txt (183KB) with the new one (189KB)
    Then I copied saved files...
    Opened the game but the game crashed again.

Then I tried to download this alternate hotfix https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5-f...M2c/edit?pli=1
    but I couldn't open it (error)
    So I still can't play.

HINTS TO SOLVE MY PROBLEM:

- despite I downloaded what was denoted as version 3.3, while loading the game I could clearly read from game screen that on the contrary I was running 3.2 version. How is it possible???
    - in the DOWNLOADS topic page I could not find any hotfix..(I only searched it into first message) so I installed the hotfix I got from ModDB website. But that didn't work

MY SUGGESTIONS

Please you should (but I would say you "must") update the first message (the presentation of the mod) of this page http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-DIK-Downloads with correct 3.3 version download link
    adding any hotfix link (currently I can't see it) if needed.

Please consider that people like me (but I guess I am not the only one) don't like to spend time reading ALL messages throughout all pages to find if there are updated links. I assume you can go there and modify your post updating it. Please the first post of this topic should include always the most patched and latest version, together with any needed hotfix.

OTHER ANSWERS:

@2: I am most concerned with first post in this forum...I consider this website the most important for publishing your mod.

@4: differently from other mods I can't remember "specific" music...I expected something "new" from that side

DIK NEW VERSIONS 4 - 5 and?? 6??

Wooooow wowowowowowow...this is really SUPER!
    But I have better to delay italian translations for just the lastest and most stable version...
    New enlarged map? new factions like Ferrara Siena and Modena ? thaaaat sounds AMAZING!

Sorry but I need to "help" you...

Get a look here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/Italia_1494.svg
    Source is Wikipaedia...if you get a look you can see age is 1494 that is PERFECT MAP for your mod and new factions.
    I edited that image (the official one) just to help you locate exact place for each new faction: here it is http://www2.zippyshare.com/v/35074670/file.html
    As you can see, according to this map there is room for some more factions.
    Just few names:

Major Factions

- Repubblica di Siena (republic of Siena)
    - Repubblica di Genova (republic of Genua)
    - Ducato di Savoia (duchy of Savoy)
    - ArciDucato d'Austria (great duchy of Austria)
    - Regno di Sardegna (kingdom of Sardinia)
    - Regno di Sicilia (kingdom of Sicily)

Minor Factions:

- Repubblica di Ragusa (republic of Ragusa)
    - Repubblica di Lucca (republic of Lucca)
    - Ducato di Ferrara (duchy of Ferrara)
    - Ducato di Modena (duchy of Modena)
    - Marchesato di Mantova (marquisate of Mantua)

Factions to be "understood"

- Marchesato di Saluzzo (marquisate of Saluzzo)
    - Marchesato del Monferrato (marquisate of Monferrato)
    - Capitanato di Fivizzano (captaincy of Fivizzano)
    - Contea di Asti (county of Asti)
    - Principato vescovile di Trento (prince-bishopric municipality of Trent)
    - Comune di San Marino (municipality of San Marino)
    - feudo di Pontecorvo (feud of Pontecorvo)

MY SUGGESTION ABOUT THIS
    Version 5 could add those I called " major factions" as "regular" factions...I think you know what I mean.
    Minor factions should be considered something "different" from regular factions. Usually most Mods design minor factions as rebel towns. I appreciated in this mod what you did with some rebel towns like Modena, Mantova etc. but I would like to see something NEW...
    Why not making them one of the most exciting challenges of this mod?
    Put a small town, one Prince, few buildings and a couple of town-militias and no other chance to enrole different units there (only mercenary if they can get money) and let the player go CRAZY trying to make true the IMPOSSIBLE
    Apart from challenge, it's very important not to design an army roster for such units. Just give them availability of miliatia lancers and stop that. Since they had no role into history I don't expect they ever developed an "army"...so you won't find how to design units for them.
    You mod would be richer with no design cost

Factions to be studied are factions I have to investigate further to understand if they were indipendent muncipalities or were vassals of some other kingdom.
    PonteCorvo should be added like today we have Benevento.
    If you think you may be interested in such kind of new faction I may go studying more them to learn if they simply have to be considered new town for existing factions or may be designed as new challenging factions
    I won't waste my time over there if you are not interested in them

Of course this is just my suggestions

I'll upload a complete patched and working version tomorrow afternoon
    But I can not promise you that your old save with the Papal States will work.. sorry..

About your suggestions for the new factions I used this map to create quite the most of the provinces and new factions
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...4_shepherd.jpg
    But first of all I need to finish the next version and the translation

have a good night haha

Foederatus

I'll upload a complete patched and working version tomorrow afternoon
    But I can not promise you that your old save with the Papal States will work.. sorry..
    Is correct version 3.3 (that I have not yet tried) you are going to post (I hope into your opening post) full patched or does it need any hotfix? please make that clear into your post and eventually provide it with correct hotfix links

We will try to work on my save files untill we agree there is a bug but that can not be found. Otherwise it will be time for you to prepare a new hotfix

About your suggestions for the new factions I used this map to create quite the most of the provinces and new factions
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...4_shepherd.jpg
    Your map is BETTER for town locations together with mountains and river but is less detailed about factions.
    Mine is BETTER in detailing clearly factions but has no mention about towns
    I think BOTH can cooperate for your BEST RESULT.

I will post now a complete COMPARISON between them so you will have ready material for designing your best map

But first of all I need to finish the next version and the translation
    have a good night haha
    come on DO YOUR BEST, DIK version 6 AWAITS you with totally new exciting work!!!
    If you need some help I can "check" your English translation but....to say it honestly you shouldn't spend so much of your time into a "middle" release. You should abandon translation for the older version and provide your best to your latest. It's true that most of your work can be shifted to the latest but....latest version (6.0) will probably make 3.3 obsolete very soon..and you know Medieval 2 is still an "old" game nowadays...so I won't spend too much time into older versions...everyday people keep turning to Rome II ...just the fewer still remain back...if you don't update your work you will probably work for very few people
    Of course this is just my opinion
    Have a good work wherever you go

Maps Comparison post will soon follow here ..

So I've updated the link.
    Well, the english translation is already quite finished so I don't want stop that now
    Looking forward to your comparison
    Last edited by Aneirin; May 17, 2014 at 02:29 PM.