Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killing orcs= losing chivalry

Default Killing orcs= losing chivalry

When I capture and execute orcs in battle my commander gains fear/loses chivalry. Is this possible to disable this feature for good factions killing evil ones? After all releasing orcs seems like very bad idea- they're set on killing humans, why would I/anyone want to let them keep their lives?

Aldor's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Killing orcs= losing chivalry

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.”

Back on topic, this issue has been brought up several times.

Perhaps one of the submod creators has found a solution, but I doubt it.
    Retired GS member, admin and local moderator in Hotseat Subforum. Voted best TATW admin.

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.”

I know, I know... But capturing same orcs for fifth time looks for me like a sheer "definition of insanity"

No solution then? Damn... Thx for answer though.

Ransom them, ai often rejects and you get no dread

Bladvak's Avatar Senator

Ask for ransom from the AI.

Though, if the enemy is rich and you've captured an important general (nazgul, heir), there's a high chance the AI will pay up. Also, 90% of times when a faction leader is first captured, the AI will pay. So just kill them outright and spare yourself the bother of fighting him again. If a general has already been ransomed once, the AI will most likely not want to ransom him again, even if FL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yomamashouse View Post
    I have one complaint - this mod is so engrossing that I have lost the ability to enjoy any other mods. I tried others and they never matched up to EB.

I think Foot needs to put a warning saying "You may wish to play other mods before playing this mod, as EB will destroy your ability to find other mods exciting and fulfilling".

Milo Forsyth, Transfiguration Professor at Hogwarts, Beyond Potter http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1772

Aldor's Avatar Campidoctor

As the others have suggested, ransom is often a very good option.

In the worst case scenario you get free money, but most of the time it accomplishes the same as execute (without adding to dread).
    Retired GS member, admin and local moderator in Hotseat Subforum. Voted best TATW admin.

Personally I always release orcs. reason 1 especially early Mordor the enemy is stuck with these useless units and has to pay upkeep, slows down unit development and building development. reason 2 these useless units get points for experience when you capture them, I try to capture with my levy infantry you can literally double their effectiveness relatively quickly by capturing Mordor's useless tier 1 over and over, gold levy infantry is a match for Uruks.If I need to destroy Army I hit them with archers as they are retreating, enemy dies and no dread. Elves with their speed and range are good for this. I build chivalry for the pop bonus this way. Since I play like a racing turtle (economy) it works for me. Experience is an interesting wild card in the game. Something is going on in the base program, I can change values in the EDU to match an experienced unit with base unit, the experienced unit always does better don't know why, if I had to guess it is attack speed or endurance.

I have the question in regards to why AI likes to buy out their leaders/heirs? A king costs 10k to ransom but is there any importance to him or a heir other than it's just a reliable general? I mean when King dies the heir becomes a king and life goes on

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Programmed realism, I suppose.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Aldor View Post
    As the others have suggested, ransom is often a very good option.

In the worst case scenario you get free money, but most of the time it accomplishes the same as execute (without adding to dread).
    Actually it adds dread. I've always ransomed them (because I needed money), but most of time it was rejected- and I got dread.

It should be noted that the reason you get prisoners may be the reason your general get dread, beside how you handle prisoners; as I've been informed, to attack enemies who are fleeing (which is when you can really stack captives) is an act that will earn the commanding general dread.

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

I read somewhere that this is a cavalry thing that archers do not seem to build dread, it has always seemed to work for me, or maybe I am just cancelling the action because I always release.

Just execute them and then use the console to remove the Dread traits.

@ muller'
    Rather a melee-matter; indeed missile units shooting fleeing foes do not create dread in my experience

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    It should be noted that the reason you get prisoners may be the reason your general get dread, beside how you handle prisoners; as I've been informed, to attack enemies who are fleeing (which is when you can really stack captives) is an act that will earn the commanding general dread.
    Ah... That'd be it. But its usually like that- I kill 800 orcs from 3000 army and rest flees. And thus I end with over 1000 captured orcs that- once released- will almost immediately come back.

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Just execute them and then use the console to remove the Dread traits.
    I would, but I try to abstain from using cheats. Plus sometimes it looks like it's not due to traits...

Legourou's Avatar Semisalis
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

It isn't a bad tactic to release them or ransom them.

If they are ransomed, you get gold and the enemy never retrains their troops. Plus if you are using unit spamming scripts, a lot of the scripts cap at certain number of "units." (Not individuals) Also the units still drain the enemies economy when alive, but if you kill them all, they still have the money they aren't paying their troops to raise more fresh troops.

But if you save them, you get chivalry. And chivalry does basically nothing in TATW. So you're in a pickle. Pros and cons man. Weigh the benefits and costs.

This isn't a cheat, it's a way to get around problems with the game.

Bladvak's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Legourou View Post
    But if you save them, you get chivalry. And chivalry does basically nothing in TATW.
    Actually, chivalry has both strategic and tactical effects. On the campaign map, a general with at least 7 chivalry will give a 0.5% boost to the population increase in the city where he is the governor. On the tactical map, a general with (positive) chivalry increases the morale of the units by a certain amount. Dread (negative chivalry) on the other hand, decrease the morale of the enemy's troops, which is one of the reason why Nazguls make great generals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yomamashouse View Post
    I have one complaint - this mod is so engrossing that I have lost the ability to enjoy any other mods. I tried others and they never matched up to EB.

I think Foot needs to put a warning saying "You may wish to play other mods before playing this mod, as EB will destroy your ability to find other mods exciting and fulfilling".

Milo Forsyth, Transfiguration Professor at Hogwarts, Beyond Potter http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1772

Legourou's Avatar Semisalis
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Yes, so basically nothing. Lol.

I've always found the morale boost to be a great boon. Even if it's a small amount, it might be the difference between holding the line and routing. I make it a point to do the most I can with a handful of units (relative to the enemy force), so anything that results in a morale boost is vital.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast