Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Something a little similar to GSTK yet something a little different altogether

Narf's Avatar Reach for the Stars.
    Content Staff Citizen

Default Re: Something a little similar to GSTK yet something a little different altogether

I might play. Though I'd vote for rules and accept being a minority. The game ran really smooth with a lot of rules with Stilldawn, Raglan, Carl von Dobln ect to moderate them.

What I write now is fact, what killed the game was the first restart, it made the rules more simple, and it killed a lot of the things that people had worked for in the game, that they had achieved, like using months and time on a castle and equipment to that castle or worked their way through the Ranks in the rules, Peasent to Duke, what a Journey! This may just be ingame fluff, but it was things to work for. And that was worth protecting. RPs to build these things that they bought for their virtual weekly income sometimes took and gave months and weeks of Roleplay.

It's just a few examples, though I think them to be good ones, the rules really made people more engaged. Whenever you make a game, computer or board game or like this you have to have many small goals to reach, in GSTK a "side-quest" was that to build strong relations, or use a bunch of Gold on a Castle which can help you in other goals too. All small goals along the path to the grand one, Kingship... And you didn't have to take and achieve all these small goals but they were there to do.

Last edited by Narf; November 14, 2013 at 01:30 AM.

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Something a little similar to GSTK yet something a little different altogether

I'm in for sure.

How about this: Since Narf has a point regarding things to work for, but the game was a long time ago and many of our players won't be the same (plus the scenario just makes sense), all players start out on about equal footing with barely any of those positions even existing (though they will be made) and the ones that do exist are NPC (though old and corrupt idiots who will die or be fired as soon as a player gets promoted).

Narf's Avatar Reach for the Stars.
    Content Staff Citizen

Thatd be the most fair thing. But who are to play all the NPCs?
    Last edited by Narf; November 14, 2013 at 02:54 AM.

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

Mods, I would assume. That or get some player volunteers, but the NPCs MUST step down when a player comes and there must be oversight to ensure there's no favoritism.

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

We cant look to the old moderators, they have long gone and i have no reason to believe they will be back.

As long as the game maintains the framework of GSTK, i will always be interested

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

knight of virtue and valor's Avatar Praefectus
    In the nightmares of my foes (bakersfield, CALI, allright)

I remeamber being part of the first GSTK generation of players/characters, the crazy shenadigans we did.....Awww, the nostalgia. I would be game to play once more
    "WE WILL SMITE THE INVADERS FROM OUR SKIES! Though they sweep over our lands like the sands of winter, never again will we bow before them; never again endure their oppression; never again endure their tyranny. We will strike without warning and without mercy, fighting as one hand, one heart, one soul. We will shatter their dreams and haunt their nightmares, drenching our ancestors' graves with their blood. And as our last breath tears at their lungs; as we rise again from the ruins of our cities...they will know: Helghan belongs to the Helghast." -Scholar Visari

I enjoyed the idea of GSTK both times I tried it, so I'd love to be in here.

Well, good luck with the restart. I think it's poorly conceived and executed and doomed to inevitable failure, but good luck nonetheless.

Zectorman's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Well, good luck with the restart. I think it's poorly conceived and executed and doomed to inevitable failure, but good luck nonetheless.
    That is a bit underhanded thing to say. Kinda unnecessary.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgxBxU9wSP8

Ferdinand Von Terl, he knew how to RP before you could even Speak your name!

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Thank you
    Last edited by Raglan; November 23, 2013 at 05:23 PM.

Section Editor ES

That was sarcasm not criticism.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

I don't see sarcasm anywhere in his post.

He has in fact stated on numerous occasions recently that GSTK still has a chance at true revival if it's main proponents can actually work things out correctly.
    Of all the Shed members at this time, he is the most amiable towards GSTK.
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; November 23, 2013 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zectorman View Post
    That is a bit underhanded thing to say. Kinda unnecessary.
    It isn't and I will tell you why.

GSTK has been in a system of restart and almost immediate failure for the past year and a half. In that time the shed has dealt with a fanbase that wants the game to return badly, but never puts in the work or planning to see it return. The game was voted to be wiped twice and each time the game was given a second, third, fourth chance to come back. Each time it ended in about a week due to general apathy.

So then DS makes this thread after we have a chat about how we could potentially bring GSTK back through some dedicated planning and light rules editing. It is then hijacked by those who would see "old GSTK" return for the umpteenth time even though that has been tried half a dozen times in the last year and failed. So any planning goes right out the window.

So yes, I get to be a little critical and disappointed but there was nothing sarcastic about my post, I meant every word.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; November 23, 2013 at 05:47 AM.

....I just liked the people. Had to admit though, my second run was better than the first.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Zectorman View Post
    That was sarcasm not criticism.
    If you had been on the forum as long as M, myself, Ponti and Sotha have been on it, you would know very well that GSTK has a record of going quiet for weeks, then have a fanatical come back, that usually lasts between a week to three weeks before dying off again. Ponti did not state any sarcasm, but has a well grounded reason why. He, among others, has been apart of GSTK at times and has witnessed its failure time and time again.

Even a former moderator of GSTK and a long standing member of the community said this:
    Last edited by Raglan; November 23, 2013 at 05:24 PM.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

whether or not the rp fails or survives is up to the rpers, yes I have not been here that long but i know that im not going to talk down to people that just wanna rp. If you dont want anything to do with it, fine! That is your choice of course! I just do not see the reason why Ponti had to speak up now about his "criticisms" you might find me and Ace in the wrong for taking your "criticism" (which was him saying we are going to fail, which i thought was a bit rude, I liked his second post better because he took the time to explain himself) badly.

Also if you get to know me you will find im pretty straight forward and not one for backhanded play. I am a blunt individual. I reo who I am going to rep. You saying some one is going to fail, no matter the evidence, seemed unfair and disrespectful to the individual who took the time to write up a proposal. You say "good Luck" but only after telling him you are going to fail. It was like saying "Awwww how cute, look how he tries" At least in his follow up post he explained his...lack of enthusiasm and actual criticism.

I just found his initial comment, rude. If you all are a community as the name of the forum suggests, I would figure that you would have a respect for everyone's attempts at trying to make something amazing. Now whether this is a reboot of an old idea, and is it fails or succeeds, I would want all the support from the community. Criticism is wanted true, but I think solutions are what is wanted or improvements. Now I will apologize for my reaction to Ace's comment, I get upset when i see senior members defending something I see as wrong. I see it as a breach of trust, and I get very vindictive. It is just who I am, whether that is right or wrong.

And just to go off completely, I still don't know that 'attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion' is from.

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

All right guys, just a reminder that the Terms of Service do apply here, and insults aren't allowed. No matter how nicely you try to phrase them. I've deleted a bunch of posts about this, lets focus on the thread topic.

Now, as more of a member and less of a moderator i will say that i understand ponti's point. gstk is a game that pretty much everyone here has awesome memories off - hell i only bothered coming to this forum for probably a year just to play it - but some how it just never seems to get going again.

It sounds like that one thread that was awesome-and now dead- but the original guy who made it has vanished, and no one can quite recapture how it was.

Citizen

I have not vanished, we need role players and registrations, sign up and let's get the show on the road

Section Editor ES

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast