Thread: Updated faction: Celtiberians

Default Updated faction: Celtiberians

As this mod is promoted by Clan Celtiberos, it was logical to start updating factions by Celtiberians.

Generals, oficers, and standards

This is the main novelty of the Celtiberian faction. The standard on the left was already implemented in ITW_1.5, but now it has been improved with the bear skin and a long sword.
    In the center you have the Celtiberian general and the officer, based on the celtiberian caetrati model. On the right you have the Celtiberian musician, with a horn.

Celtiberian Infantry

The units are the same as in ITW_1.5.
    From left to right, 1st row: slinger, celtiberian caetrati, Termes warrior, numantian caetrati
    2nd row: Neito guard, lanceati, devotio warrior, scutati

The main improvements are the shields of lanceati and scutati. The old version was "too iberian" and now the decoration is taken from real celtiberian shields. The shield of the scutati is now round, with a sun symbol painted on it.

Another interesting improvement are the projectile. In ITW_1.5 all the javelin-type projectile were the same when thown. Now we have models for falarica (e.g. scutati) and soliferrum (e.g. devotio warrior).

Celtiberian Cavalry

It is also the same units you know in ITW_1.5: jinetes, pelendoni lancers and bela cavalry.
    The main difference is that the pelendoni lancers, as most of the light iberian cavalry in the new version, has the ability of throwing falaricas before charging.

I hope you like them, and I'll post other updates soom.

Grecian's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Updated faction: Celtiberians

Nice work

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Great stuff! Very original + high quality work! That's why I like ITW!
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

Nice alterations to these CeltIberians. It's always difficult to acieve a truly authentic looking warrior when there is so little in the way of reference material. Nevertheless your efforts to update this Mod and achieve a greater level of historical accuracy and realism are very welcome.

I must confesss to substantially customizing the first version of ITW by adding units and changing some. At present I am trying to get a greater variety in battles by individualizing the appearance of Slave and Rebel units. These were done for the Celt/Iberian slaves;

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...berians1-1.jpg
    http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...berians2-1.jpg

You will note that they appear more Celtic than Iberian. Although the precise level of cultural intergration that took place between these peoples continues to be debated amongst historians, it is most likely that those in the northern area of the region retained more of their Celtic identity and those in the southern part, a recognizably Iberian identity. A complete intergration would probably have taken a number of generations.

A niggly problem with the Numantian Caetratii, which was made using leather armour from Dark Fenrir's last skin pack, was the flesh coloured scabbard. I must assume the skin is taken from that units leggings? which I substituted with bare legs. Keep up the good work.

Wow, these are really increadibly detailed. Fantastic units!

What is it that the general and officer are carrying in their left hand, was it something they could signify their position with?
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

Quote Originally Posted by The White Knight
    Wow, these are really increadibly detailed. Fantastic units!

What is it that the general and officer are carrying in their left hand, was it something they could signify their position with?
    It is a grapevine twig.
    And you will be surprised with some other symbols in the forthcoming previews.

Those units are looking really sexy! Will you be updating any other factions?
    [Massive Sig Here]