Thread: Sound Editing Ideas (When Possible)

Icon4 Sound Editing Ideas (When Possible)

Since at this point we are all Stumped as to when we can successfully mod the audio files in an easy and non time consuming manner, I thought we might post up a few suggestions (Ill update the main post with other suggestions) as to what we would like so see from the audio side of things.

I have been modding game audio for a while, and have done audio modding in the past for other games. For Total war it started with the very first Shogun game (back in the days of editing text files, which was sooooo easy!)

Ill chuck in a few below to get the ball rolling, post yours and ill update periodically so that future modders and users can get an idea of what they wish to see

Community Audio Ideas:

Music:

Looping - A feature started with Empire, about the same time they decided to go with more generic soundtracks. Basically on Empire, Napoleon and Rome 2, the music files repeat themselves usually after 2/3 mins. This creates a 'constant' stream of music however it gets boring very quickly. In these games modding music meant that without the loop removal, your 4 min track would repeat itself after 3 mins. There was a table found in one of the files to remove this.

Movie/Game Soundtracks - It is perfectly fine to put movie soundtracks into a mod, however distribution over TWC or steam may run into issues as these are released soundtracks that cost money that you are freely distributing. Unless you use a soundtrack that is free or of a certain age (after a significant number of years sound copyright is not applied, hence why you hear a lot of mozart, bach etc on documentaries as its free to use)

However you can create your OWN PERSONAL collection of Movie soundtracks into a mod format, provided you own the legally downloaded files prior and do not distribute them. Once the .WEM file issue is resolved, i will create a tutorial for modding your own music.

Battle Map Sounds:

Unit Voices - THIS IS SPARTAAAAAA! and other famous movie quotes can now be inserted into the unit audios. Since Rome 2 did add more chatter and generic warcrys to their units, we will now be able to add these into the game. Movie snippets like this are fine to use since they are not released as official purchasable files. You could add anything from speeches to something completely random, like Justin bieber talking about his new album while in a phalanx (heaven forbid)

Weapon Sounds - Clashes of iron on flesh, leather stretching, Horses skewered by pikes, this sort of thing should be editable.

Death sounds - More dramatic and over the top death sounds are possible, perhaps a bit of soundtrack from platoon to go with this image?

But yeah, theres some ideas, throw some more in and lets get prepared so we can make these mods for you when we can.

Tyso3

Menumorut's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Sound Editing Ideas (When Possible)

The original program used by CA is Wwise from https://www.audiokinetic.com/
    Last edited by Menumorut; November 01, 2013 at 08:55 PM.

»MY GRAPHIC WORKSHOP« UNDER THE PARONAGE OF G☼D HIMSELF »MY ROMEII FAN ART«

I am more then aware of what wwise is.

I suggest you try and use wwise to convert your music files to .wem, then come back to the rest of us.

Then you will see how it is impossible.

kthxbai

Last edited by Menumorut; November 01, 2013 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyso3 View Post
    I am more then aware of what wwise is.

I suggest you try and use wwise to convert your music files to .wem, then come back to the rest of us.

Then you will see how it is impossible.

kthxbai

HERE take a look...

Last edited by Menumorut; November 01, 2013 at 09:01 PM.

Again, attempt to convert a file of music from the files in your rome 2 music file

If you can succesfully convert a music file you will be the first person in the entire of TWC to do so.