Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with promotion in 4tpy 1.9.3

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Problem with promotion in 4tpy 1.9.3

Mod installed: PE 1.7beta with NM for 1.7
    Faction: Rome on hard\hard setting

I have got two characters by now that have been eligle for promotion to general. Had them take a rest for 3 turns in a town and then attached them individually to a full army stack (14 inf,1 scorp,2 funditores, 2 cav). In the next turn they both got the 'field army' ancilliaries but no general trait. They have been leading these armies for more then 4 turns now and their service years counter has not increased. Anybody got an idea what might be wrong? It can't be the restriction of provinces as I am holding 29. And I don't have any other general alive with this exception:
    A third character is in the field with a full stack as above for a couple of turns and he is a 'former general' with the counter stuck at 20 years service as well. He is the faction leader and 60 years.
    All of them have awesome stats but I would really like to see them becoming consuls and provincial governors.
    Another odditiy is one character that I assume has married into my family: he got one counter with 4 years and another with 11. He is a Legate.
    I might have to point out that I always make sure to activate the script when starting the game, even when I have nothing further to manage or move.

Invoker's Avatar Philosopher-King

Default Re: Problem with promotion in 4tpy 1.9.3

I've run into this same problem with general promotions, except I have trouble with them even getting the army ancillary, I usually have to get rid of the previous ancillary, such as the legion or whatever, and then he'll get the promotion. Try getting rid of the previous ancillary, if he's being promoted to praetor, trade off the legion ancillary to someone else, and then he should get promoted. Given I have no idea why this happens or why what I do fixes it, but it generally works for me.
    Servant in the House of Siblesz under the Patronage of the fallen Crandar.

Quote Originally Posted by Invoker47
    I've run into this same problem with general promotions, except I have trouble with them even getting the army ancillary, I usually have to get rid of the previous ancillary, such as the legion or whatever, and then he'll get the promotion. Try getting rid of the previous ancillary, if he's being promoted to praetor, trade off the legion ancillary to someone else, and then he should get promoted. Given I have no idea why this happens or why what I do fixes it, but it generally works for me.
    Trading away ancillary helps to get promotion or just next ancillary? Didnt get it.
    In my game, I have both ancillaries (army and legion) for one of my gens, but no promotion.

Invoker's Avatar Philosopher-King

Helps me get the promotion, strangely enough.
    Servant in the House of Siblesz under the Patronage of the fallen Crandar.

To gain a promotion, you have to go back to a town/city, wait there for a turn, then return to the field where you will be promoted in the next few turns.

The problem with the promotion to general is in "export_descr_character_traits"

Trigger Promote_to_General_with_Army_Banner_1
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnStart

Condition CultureType roman
    and Trait Legate < 1
    and Trait General < 1
    and Trait Consul_General < 1
    and Trait Military_Service_Years_17to25 > 3
    and Trait Military_Service_Years_17to25 < 9
    and IsGeneral
    and PercentageUnitCategory infantry > 0
    and not EndedInSettlement
    and Attribute Subterfuge = 8

Affects General 3 Chance 100

If you have both ancillaries "Field Army" & "Legion" you vil have subterfuge=15 (8+7)

Try changing "export_descr_ancillaries" to

Ancillary Roman_I_Army
    Image Roman_I_Army_Ancillary.tga
    ExcludeCultures barbarian, greek, eastern, egyptian, carthaginian
    Description Roman_I_Army_desc
    EffectsDescription Roman_I_Army_effects_desc

Effect TroopMorale 1
    Effect Subterfuge 1
    Effect Loyalty 1

do the same for

Ancillary Roman_I_Consular_Army
    Image Roman_I_Consular_Army_Ancillary.tga
    ExcludeCultures barbarian, greek, eastern, egyptian, carthaginian
    Description Roman_I_Consular_Army_desc
    EffectsDescription Roman_I_Consular_Army_effects_desc

Effect TroopMorale 1
    Effect Subterfuge 1
    Effect Loyalty 1

to get promotion to consul

Blog Entries

That might do the trick, but I doubt that this will be the end: to get promoted to provincial governor, your subterfuge has to be equal to 5. This can only be achieved by getting a quaestor ancilliary and removing all the army and legion ancilliaries. I guess somehow it was meant to remove the previous one when you get the next one, eg legion to army to consul. :hmmm:

I can provide a fixed .txt file for the 4tpy mod, but I'll probably need Marcus' permission to do so and he's not here right now :/

Quote Originally Posted by gigantus
    That might do the trick, but I doubt that this will be the end: to get promoted to provincial governor, your subterfuge has to be equal to 5. This can only be achieved by getting a quaestor ancilliary and removing all the army and legion ancilliaries. I guess somehow it was meant to remove the previous one when you get the next one, eg legion to army to consul. :hmmm:
    It was meant as a quick fix, gigantus.

Anyway you right about the problem with the promotion to governor, but this can also be fixed by altering "export_descr_character_traits".

I understand that JoeyJubb already has made a corrected .txt file, and i hope he can get Marcus' permission to post it for you.

Blog Entries

It would provide a great relief if there is a permanent fix. I am really tired of swopping army banners around, it distracts a lot from the game play.
    It is otherwise an excellent mod.

I too am having problems with generals being promoted to legate in rtpe/bi/mnm mod for v1.7

What puzzles me is that I've been going along for some time with no problems then all of a sudden once the faction heir gets promoted and a legion ancillary, that's it. No one else gets bumped up at all. If any one could suggest a solution I would be most grateful.

Thanks,
    bob

Having not heard from Marcus, I have decided not to release a "fixed" version of his file because it may be that this "mistake" was inteded. Instead, I can only offer some advice as to how to make the text file work as you would like it to:

-Open export_descr_character_traits.txt in your data folder (best to do it in MSWord if poss)
    -Use the find and replace feature to replace all instances of "Subterfuge = 8" with "Subterfuge > 7"
    -Repeat with all numbers up to 9 (ie, replace = 5 with > 4 etc)

Notes:
    -Be very careful when editing this file, you're meant to open the original spreadsheet and re-export, but as long as you're extremely careful you can do it by hand.
    -Do not mix up > (more than) with < (less than)
    -Make sure you have the correct spaces : "Subterfuge > 7" is correct, "Subterfuge>7" is not.
    Last edited by JoeyJubb; September 25, 2006 at 07:26 AM.

Thanks and I will try it once I get home tonight from work. Just for grins, I totally deleted all traces (that I could find) of rtr from my hard drive and reinstalled (got to bed just before 4am) rtw+bi+bi 1.6 patch+rtpe+rtpe 1.6 patch+rtpe 1.7 patch followed by mnm mod and then version 1.7 patch. The question I have is whether or not I should have installed fix 1 and then fix 2 (for mnm mod) after installing the mnm mod and done that before installing the 1.7 patch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyJubb
    Having not heard from Marcus, I have decided not to release a "fixed" version of his file because it may be that this "mistake" was inteded. Instead, I can only offer some advice as to how to make the text file work as you would like it to:

-Open export_descr_character_traits.txt in your data folder (best to do it in MSWord if poss)
    -Use the find and replace feature to replace all instances of "Subterfuge = 8" with "Subterfuge > 7"

Notes:
    -Be very careful when editing this file, you're meant to open the original spreadsheet and re-export, but as long as you're extremely careful you can do it by hand.
    -Make sure you have the correct spaces : "Subterfuge > 7" is correct, "Subterfuge>7" is not.
    Of I go to create a few generals. Thanks for the tip. I wasn't sure if it would work when I had a look at it. Kept rolling around in my mind that the quaestor is subterfuge 5 and the legion subterfuge 7. So if you set the rule for quaestor at > 4 I thought you might be promoted to consul before you become general. Must have overlooked something.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bobbygst
    Thanks and I will try it once I get home tonight from work. Just for grins, I totally deleted all traces (that I could find) of rtr from my hard drive and reinstalled (got to bed just before 4am) rtw+bi+bi 1.6 patch+rtpe+rtpe 1.6 patch+rtpe 1.7 patch followed by mnm mod and then version 1.7 patch. The question I have is whether or not I should have installed fix 1 and then fix 2 (for mnm mod) after installing the mnm mod and done that before installing the 1.7 patch.
    Rule of thumb is to first upgrade the original game, after that RTR and last the additional mod. That way you don't overwite the files from the additional mod or RTR

Quote Originally Posted by gigantus
    Of I go to create a few generals. Thanks for the tip. I wasn't sure if it would work when I had a look at it. Kept rolling around in my mind that the quaestor is subterfuge 5 and the legion subterfuge 7. So if you set the rule for quaestor at > 4 I thought you might be promoted to consul before you become general. Must have overlooked something.
    It is a little lazy doing it that way of course, but it's compensated because of the othe requirments to higher ranks

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyJubb

Notes:
    I made the changes to the file you mentioned but still no one is being promoted other than the faction leader (counsul) and the heir (roman 1st legion). Are there any other things I might try to get this fixed? I see that Quintus (fearless leader) and Publius(next fearless leader) have the necessary subterfuge ratings to get promoted. My next question may sound stupid but here goes. How does a general get the necessary subterfuge to rate a promotion and would it be unwise to lower the subterfuge rating for the trigger to promote to legate with legion banner to say something like zero? It's just that it's frustrating to have a lot of guys eligible with the legion slots available but no one getting promoted. I do very much appreciate your answers to my noob questions. Thank you very much, Bob.
    Last edited by bobbygst; September 25, 2006 at 07:26 PM.

Blog Entries

Question for the modders: is there any way to script the removal of an ancillary (RemoveAncillary instead of AquireAncillary)? That way you could remove legion and replace it with army, same with army and consular army. The only thing then necessary is to adjust the effect of troop morale which is now accumulative.

Otherwise you end up with upto 4 ancilliaries - which is quite unlikely as by the end of 45 years the character has certainly picked up more than 4 other.

Everyone, you must remember that a character can have only one of my special ancillaries and can hold only one rank at a time. Having a previous ranks ancillary will prevent any character from gaining a new rank's ancillary. I did this to prevent characters from becoming "super" leaders with several ranks and ancillaries, and there benefits causing them to become so powerful as to unbalance the game.

For example, for a character holding the rank of Legate to get promote to General, once he meets the time-in-service requirement, he most transfer his Legion Banner ancillary to another character, that either will be the new Legate for that Legion, or will be temporarily holding the Legion Banner until an eligible new character is available for promotion to Legate. Once a current Legate becomes a former Legate (by transferring the ancillary and moving away from his former troops), he can move to a group of Roman troops to receive an existing Army Banner or if available, a new Army Banner, which will cause him to be promoted to the rank of General.

There are no problems with getting promotions for characters in my Roman Leadership mod. You just need to fully understand how my Roman Leadership system works. You must understand, that I did not want to unbalance RTR by making it possible for Roman generals to get too easily become "super" or "uber" generals, holding multiple ranks and ancillaries, and receiving the multiple benefits of them. A character must get rid of his current rank and its ancillary before he will be promoted to the next higher rank and get its ancillary.

If people want anything else than this, perhaps someone will share their "modified" files of my Roman Leadership mod, but be forewarned, that this will completely unbalance the game and make it far too easy to win as the Romans. This is something I designed my mod not to do. I wanted to add some Roman "atmosphere" that had an in-game effect, but did not unbalance the game.

Once I finish with the RTR Platinum v1.7 Full Install release, I am hoping to get back to my mods and finish them, along with expanding my Roman Leadership mod to cover some and/or all the other factions.
    Last edited by Marcus Camillus; September 30, 2006 at 11:55 PM.
    Marcus Camillus

Oh, does that mean Greeks (Daidochi/Hellenistic factions) shall have a similar system?

That's so awesome! It also means that I don't have to do it myself. I've been considering expanding it to cover greeks for awhile, since I generally play Hellenistic factions (Greece and, recently, Pontus, cause it has such an awesome unit selection) and wanted the coolness of Leadership mod for them, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast