Thread: Gallic Tribe Campaign Guides

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Default Gallic Tribe Campaign Guides

Gallic Tribe Campaign Guides
    Post yours here

At the top of your post(preferably in bold print) Please put the name of the Gallic Tribe you're playing as. Currently Arverni is officially playable.

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

Default Re: Gallic Tribe Campaign Guides

Averni

Interesting faction and the most fun I've had so far after Carthage though I nearly gave up the campaign around turn 50 from boredom until I realized Rome had actually conquered Africa, Greece, and Anatolia.

The Arverni start position without a walled city and between 3 potential enemies is only difficult if not acting aggressively early. I prefer to keep friends when friends are around early especially with factions which have the chance to later confederate so aiming towards gaining a walled city (which basically makes it impossible to lose even with some lost battles early campaign) is the starting priority.

The 2 obvious choices are Burdigala or Bibracte. Massalia is also an option though I find they are usually willing to make trade pact and are not aggressive so leaving them alone until dealt with nearer enemies makes the most sense.

In my campaign I actually used defensive stance for the first time in a campaign on the river near Nemossos to defend vs Aedui (preventing siege of Nemossos and gaining morale bonus) while creating a slightly larger army to attack Burdigala. I did build artisans to get Celtic warriors and then built up 2 armies only and raised taxes to high on first turn.

Vivisci declared war on me directly after I moved towards Burdigala around turn 3 so I diverted to attack Tolosa which allowed trade agreement with Massalia as Tolosa was warring on them. Tolosa is part of Massalia province and will have public order issues but at this point that doesn't really matter as it is mostly important to be able to recruit more units and replenish the army there.

Attacking Burdigala directly is difficult task but usually by leaving Nemossos without garrison and having army in Tolosa the enemy army in Burdigala moves to attack Nemessos which allows the army in Tolosa to advance and capture Burdigala. The Aedui will attack several times and winning all the battles is possible but it was close so if think you might lose withdraw towards Burdigala and combine armies as once it is captured even with some mistakes Arverni will be secure for many turns.

Ending the war with Aedui is the next priority and it took me 2 large battles because I didn't start to advance until around turn 16. However if Bibracte is the early walled settlement goal it might be easier, after defeating the Aedui armies they accepted to join the Arverni confederation and Bibracte was captured without a battle.

Next capturing Massalia is the best bet to secure the province and a 3rd walled city and trade port to bring in some income. I focused on conquering Spain with armies and conquering Gaul with diplomacy mixed with force. To get factions to join confederation pick factions that are at war vs 2 or more enemies if possible as they will join for free. Stronger factions require a bribe and factions not in any wars often require force- losing their armies usually persuades them to join.

Invading Caledonia was actually the most difficult challenge because I wasn't prepared for attrition nor the amount of armies Caledonia had... 4 full stacks greeted my 2 oldest armies (only 2 celtic warriors each) which had been hit by attrition and my general was assassinated which ended in the complete annihilation of my northern armies as Caledonia then caught 3rd army in ambush as it moved north incautiously. With a little preparation such a disaster needn't occur in your campaigns so attacking from the sea with at least 2-3 stacks is recommended to avoid attrition (though sailing around by sea takes a few turns).

Diplomatically Arverni can focus on gaining factions into their confederation and finding small regional trade partners who do not occupy part of a province Arverni requires. In my campaign Rome actually survived as Arverni took all the pressure off its northern and western borders and there was a nice final showdown.
    Last edited by Ichon; November 07, 2013 at 12:07 PM.

Primicerius

Anyone has some tips for Nervii in grand campaign? What's their primary distinguishing strength? Stealth units?

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    Anyone has some tips for Nervii in grand campaign? What's their primary distinguishing strength? Stealth units?
    Yes, they get a 10% boost to successful chance of ambushing and most of their units have a high attack rating but rather low defense stats (naked swords, fierce swords) so make good use of that. They also get a +1 exp to cavalry units and have a pretty decent Cavalry roster (a mid lvl cavalry unit to fill in the blank between light and noble horse) Most of their units have the hide ability and both the Celtic bowmen and Guerrilla Swords can stealth deploy which plays nicely into their role as a stealth/ambush faction. Nervii get a happiness bonus for being at war with all your neighbors so play aggressively instead of trying to turtle. They get a penalty for industry income which really doesn't matter because you can easily win a campaign without ever building industry.

All in all a nice mix between a Celtic and Germanic faction with a pretty varied and decent roster. They do tend to a very specific play style though so you have to figure out for yourself if that is your kinda thing..

It seems, no one has completed the Steam achievement for Galatia yet. Any tips for that faction?

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Anhur View Post
    It seems, no one has completed the Steam achievement for Galatia yet. Any tips for that faction?
    ive just started on hard, but im only 12 turns in, so I cant say much yet. If you're in luck, pontus will declare war on you, which means you avoid bythinya. if you then immediatly capture amaseia, they will have a food shortage for a few turns and you can profit from that to recover and capture sinope. then you need to look at who is available to conquer. trapezos had a small army so i went for them.

The annoying/challenging is that you are surrounded by hellenics, so you will have culture problems unless you controll whole provinces. You also have barely any usefull trade goods, so almost nobody is intrested in trading with you. Taking capadocia's settlement is therefore crucial, cause they have wine and iron.

Another problem is that your units are quite crappy against the hellenic pikes, so you need tactics and numbers to beat them. your light horse will die against almost everything, with barely 10 armour they often lose half their unit with one javelin volley. So another tip is to change al your generals to noble horse, its the same upkeep

Quote Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
    ive just started on hard, but im only 12 turns in, so I cant say much yet. If you're in luck, pontus will declare war on you, which means you avoid bythinya. if you then immediatly capture amaseia, they will have a food shortage for a few turns and you can profit from that to recover and capture sinope. then you need to look at who is available to conquer. trapezos had a small army so i went for them.

The annoying/challenging is that you are surrounded by hellenics, so you will have culture problems unless you controll whole provinces. You also have barely any usefull trade goods, so almost nobody is intrested in trading with you. Taking capadocia's settlement is therefore crucial, cause they have wine and iron.

Another problem is that your units are quite crappy against the hellenic pikes, so you need tactics and numbers to beat them. your light horse will die against almost everything, with barely 10 armour they often lose half their unit with one javelin volley. So another tip is to change al your generals to noble horse, its the same upkeep
    The reason why there are no steam achievements for finishing Galatia is because of the lack of end game challenges. It's the same for most factions except the bigger ones. It's all 0.2% and all that. Nothing to do with difficulty it's just to do with lack of depth and strategy.
    Last edited by SturmChurro; September 13, 2014 at 07:14 AM. Reason: off-topic

Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    The reason why there are no steam achievements for finishing Galatia is because of the lack of end game challenges. It's the same for most factions except the bigger ones. It's all 0.2% and all that. Nothing to do with difficulty it's just to do with lack of depth and strategy.
    Since CA reduced the victory conditions it is much easier to attain a military victory while still having some potential challenge on the map.

Foederatus

So, who has played as Boii or Galatia? what are your thoughts on these two factions and what are your experiences playing as them if anyone has?

The Boii face Suebi and Lugii early on not to mention they have a diplomatic penalty with barbarians which ironically they start surrounded by barbarian factions. Meanwhile Galatia has many unfriendly factions surrounding them as well. Both of these factions have interesting starts, challenging but also interesting.

Currently i am playing Boii on legendary/legendary because they seem to be a great challenge with their bad starting position and diplomatic penalties against all other barbarins At the start i lured the Suebi to attack me, then i took their capital with the use of mercenaries and one full stack of my own troops. Then i was about to steal the capital of my other big starting enemy - Lugi - but suddenly the Cheruski declared war at me and threatened my own capital from west. This was the moment when the fun began because i was surrounded by three enemies with barely 1 k income per turn. I played it very defensively but at the end with the GREAT help of my spy and my champion i conquered Cheruscki and Lugi. Now i have one great enemy who is the Averni and he took nothern Italy and almost whole France. He conquered one of my province while i was trying to finish the Lugi, but i plan to take a revenge soon.

Very fun game so far. The key on legendary is the spy and the champion and their abilities to make subversions on other armies.

Foederatus

Yeah, i know what you mean. It sure is a challenge when you are surrounded by factions that dislike you, even the celts to the south don't really like Boii much. Suebi and Lugii are definitely the main threats at the start but once they have been dealt with the rest of the nearby factions are pretty easy to deal with once you have your economy set up plus big enough armies.

Quote Originally Posted by ZocomRaider View Post
    Yeah, i know what you mean. It sure is a challenge when you are surrounded by factions that dislike you, even the celts to the south don't really like Boii much. Suebi and Lugii are definitely the main threats at the start but once they have been dealt with the rest of the nearby factions are pretty easy to deal with once you have your economy set up plus big enough armies.
    Yeah, i thought the same, but by the time i conquered the Lugi and the Cherusci, the Averni and the Nervi has grown big and they both hated me so much although we are the same blood. I ended in war with those two factions, but when i started marching toward the west i was attacked by the always warlike Royal Scythia. Impossible game - too many enemies and too many enemy agents who stop my armies all the time. I quitted it and started a new campaign. This time i know where are my mistakes and i will try to win it Boii are very fun faction.

What is your most difficult faction so far? For me - the Getae are the winners, really weak start and everybody hates you

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by kelsen View Post
    What is your most difficult faction so far? For me - the Getae are the winners, really weak start and everybody hates you
    Well for me it would have to be a close one between Tylis and Arevaci. Tylis starts off at war with Macedon, then to south Bithnyia is no friend and neither is Pergamon. However i did manage to get far with Tylis, basically it's a case of you vs Macedon, winner takes all. If you can defeat and conquer Macedon then Tylis is pretty easy. Arevaci on the other hand i just can't get anywhere with them. At war with Lusitani, Edetani is my ally, Cantabri have two allies, Carthage is way too strong to attack early on so my only targets are Turdetani, Celtici and Gallaci and in the end i just end up ragequitting and playing as the Lusitani instead haha. Another two difficult factions are Pergamon and Colchis...especially Colchis, playing as Colchis is really annoying thanks to Cimmeria, Pontus and Armenia.

How do you play with Colchis, i didn't know that they are playable faction? I don't have them in my game for grand campaign.

Foederatus

I'm pretty sure Colchis comes with the Black Sea Colonies DLC pack along with Cimmeria and Pergamon, they have a similar unit roster to Pontus, a mix of Eastern and Hellenic units. But yeah playing as Colchis is pretty hard, you only have two friendly factions nearby the rest all hate you including Armenia, Pontus and Cimmeria which one or more of those three declare war early on, in my experience Pontus is the first to declare war then Armenia, Cimmeria is a hit and miss...sometimes they declare war but other times they go to war with Pontus instead, if they do then you can possibly make Cimmeria an ally which is handy. Either way though Colchis is good if you like a challenge