Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rome Campaign Guides

Default Re: Rome Campaign Guides

Hello Do u prefer any walktrought for me. Im newbie on Rome and i'm not sure what do i do.

I am not new to total war ,but I am to rome 2 and carthage is just plain kicking my butt, I am using heavy melee and spears to no avail, i am used to wrecking havoc with cav in rome 1, but that is not even working against carthage, and its only on hard with no mods

Atlas5515's Avatar Foederatus

It sounds like you are having trouble with the battle itself, not with campaign map strategy? I'm kind of new to this forum too, so I don't know how much the Mods like keeping these things separate. But Mods, please feel free to move this into the appropriate section if this is not the right one. Otherwise, I will do my best to give you some quick answers.

I just played a new hard campaign with the Julia, to kind of get into the mindset, since I almost always play normal. It sounds like you might have cav-heavy stacks, carthage is fairly spear-heavy, so bring some more swords, and save the spears for supporting your cavalry on the wings. I would also suggest keeping your skirmishers low in count. They really cant break enemy spear blocks as fast as swords do, but you definitely need them for soaking up carthage's own missile units.

As for the campaign map, I just sent Legio II north, and when he was done, sailed him to corsica. If I had to do it over again, I would have recruited the first turn instead of attacking the etruscan army. That battle was harder than it needed to be, and I had to take a couple turns to replenish the casualties after taking the first etruscan city. I like spending my money early on buildings instead of troops, but I would suggest buying troops as well on hard.

As for techs, go straight for the military line, and get the barracks that allows you to recruit principes and triarii. I think the biggest problem you are probably running into, is that your troops may be intrinsically inferior to Carthage's so you're going to have to win on maneuver, and you're going to need high defense units to be able to stand there and not break while the rest get into position.

tl;dr try running around with more swords and less of everything else

yes it is the battles themselves and I am using (2 cav 4 triarii 6 principes 4 triarii 3 cav 1 general in back) and unit for unit the Carthage units are simply whipping my troops!!! I am used to relearning a few things when the new total war games come out, but Rome's early troops were/are awesome I am not sure what I am doing wrong, armor? tech tree mistakes? I have not struggled with the other factions in battle just Carthage, so I am getting a little confused and WOW the encyclopedia is epic fail, what happened to the building browser for each settlement? sometimes you could figure out what building you were missing using that, but I would appreciate any other suggestions you might have such as skills or buildings that I am not using right or new tactics I use the old stand by for Rome engage in melee and try to flank with cav , so any improvements you can suggest would be welcome and thanks for responding

Try this lineup, General as Triarii, 3 cav, 2 velites, 2 triarii, 1 balistae & 11 Principes. Roman early cavalry is somewhat mediocre so no sense going head to head with the Carthaginians, just have the triarii on both flanks & general-triarii behind the center ready to intercept any enemy cavalry move at the same time as your cavalry counterattacks. You'll need the velite's javelins to counter their elephant general, make sure you don't waste too many javelins on auto-fire. Assuming the Carthaginians don't have artillery, the balistae will make them come to you & give you a chance to punch some holes in any elite infantry they may have, such as Mercenary Noble infantry....maybe one of the very best units in the game. Your artillery, forcing them to attack you, also takes away any advantage they may have in missile troops. Principes are top quality beginning melee infantry & in this quantity should be better than anything they'll have & will give you a decided advantage.

I finally won a battle but took horrible losses, lol yeah I will try some ballistae sound advice so thanks very much

Changing an army build mid campaign is fairly difficult, so I'm just going to offer suggestions with your current build. The first thing you're going to need to do is out maneuver them, and that mean taking the flank. You can break up formations in the center, but if you're fighting the elite troops, you're going to take a huge amount of casualties doing that, because you will need to hold the line of contact for so long. I did just post a general guide on tactics, so I suggest you give that a read, Gigantus offered to put on internal links, so as soon as I upload that somewhere and get that to him, he should be able to put together something that is a lot easier to navigate.

First, deploy deep. Carthage will outmatch you wide, and you need to maneuver. Hang your cavalry back, as bait, and put your triarii behind them. Use your other triarii as front line troops with as much spacing between them as you can, but not enough to let enemy units slip through. Deploy all your principes behind these, as well as one unit of triarii in reserve. Like this:

TT TT TT TT TT

PP PP PP

CC CC PP PP PP CC CC
    TT TT TT
    GG

Your goal is to entice a flanking attack, defeat their cavalry, and then maneuver behind the enemy line with your principes. Your principes may have to fold out to extend your line until you achieve the flank, but pick one side, don't try this on both, you will be stretched too thin. On the weak side, withdraw your cavalry, and use them to swing across the line, and your principes on that side to form a corner and protect the flank, as well as the retreating triarii to replace the reserve. Remember not to make your move until carthage has committed its forces and their line is pinned, otherwise they will counter. I don't want to take up half the page with pictures, so if you want more to visualize this maneuver, I can PM you. Your triarii in reserve are for meeting the charge on the side you want to break. You might need a principes or two depending, but try not to move too many of your reserves before you go for the flank, since carthage will redeploy theirs to match. And don't be afraid to use your general against light cavalry. Just pull him out when your cav from the other side gets there. Anyway, no battle plan survives contact with the enemy, so don;t commit your units too early, and have a plan b.

I used spaces, I didn't think it would collapse it, sorry for the double post, I can't figure out how to edit.

------------------------TT--TT--TT--TT--TT----------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------PP----PP----PP------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    CC--CC------------------PP----PP----PP----------------CC--CC
    -----TT-------------------------TT------------------------TT-----
    --------------------------------GG------------------------------

ok thanks i'll give it a go

I also have been figuring out armor and shields and weapons finally, but for the life of me cant figure out the tech tree/build tree to recruit/make archers, I can recruit the ones from Greece as mercs but that is way more expensive in this version of Rome, I am going/trying to add some ballista to the mix so I am trying to tech a lot of different things. the in-game guide is not a big help !!!

Ahh, the archers... I can't remember either, I don't use them anymore Not because they aren't good, but because they tend to friendly fire too much for my liking if left unattended.

So to get on topic about ways to change your army composition, siege is incredibly useful against pretty much everybody. It turn them into suicidal hordes that just run at you and press an all out attack. Not only that, but sometimes you can get in a kill on the enemy's general or freak out their elephants with fire. Or both. Against spear/pike heavy factions, I like using a lot of cavalry, around 6 usually. because your horses look so juicy to pikes and spears, and because of the the threat that pikes face if they were to be flanked, the AI will sometimes break formation to chase after your horses, which you can just run circles around. And if they don't, then you still have the cav advantage for easy flanks.

I remember one time, the AI decided it hated my cavalry extra bad for some reason. So they spread wide in a giant pike wall, and poured all their reserves to attack the wings. So I pulled my cavalry behind the center, which formed the rear line of a hollow square, punched through the middle with my infantry, and let my horse loose among their skirmishers and general while their spears and pikes were still huffing and puffing trying to get back from the wings (I had set my wings extra wide and a little deep because I wanted a horse battle (they didn't bring many) and then to flank their line which would have overlapped mine, but this turned out to be so much better.

Anyway though, as for techs, I would go for cohort organization in your military line above skirmishers. Skirmishers can give you an edge, but compared to heavily-armored, frontline troops like legionnaires, they are rarely the deciding factor. In fact, I usually just use the base skirmishers you have at the start. They still soak up enemy fire, and still throw fairly effective projectiles, they won't win a skirmisher battle, but I'd rather spend my upkeep on veteran legionnaires and praetorians.

no problem, and thanks again for advice

Roman Auxiliary barracks gives you access to "local" troops, each region providing something different. Archers as auxiliaries are available in one of the southwestern Gaulish regions & one of the northeastern Gaulish regions as well. As you expand you'll find them in Dacia, 'Egyptian' Africa & regions near Syria as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12