Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rome II - 2 Months Later - Feedback needed

Default Re: Rome II - 2 Months Later - Feedback needed

1-What would you give the game out of 10?
    4/10
    2-What are you most upset about currently? (if anything).
    Sieges (AI and the torch cheat), Lack of mechanics on campaign map (the game is very bland), Naval battles (including army transport system), 1 TPY (and the lands of ing EVER WINTER that it causes), The way pilum throwing is designed, Flaming javelin (yes i know about ing falarica, but much more sense limiting that as a special feature for the Iberian factions, innit?), Magic unit powers of Retardation, Character skill/trait system, Crap AI, Units blobing, That my in game family is made up of nobodies etc.
    3-Have Creative Assembly been doing a good job with updates and fixes?
    Not really, they have pretty much said the game won't be receiving fundamental changes to it's core gameplay which in my opinion is a MUST.
    4-If you had a friend who plays Shogun 2, would you recommend them Rome 2 now?
    No.
    5-What price is this game worth in your opinion?
    10 €
    6-What are you most impressed with in the game?

Army tradition is nice, graphics i guess, i like some of the new diplomacy options (could use some more tho)
    7-In your opinion what needs to be done to improve the game? (if anything).
    Fundamental changes to game mechanics such as reimplementation of family trees and rework of the new political system and more. Add more substance to the campaign. The entire transport fleet situation needs to be redone.
    8-How many hours of Rome II have you played?
    49 hours - the game simply isn't worth any more of my time.
    9-Have you played/ enjoyed the multiplayer
    Haven't played.
    Last edited by emperor77; October 30, 2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: bad typo

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

1-What would you give the game out of 10? 4/10 on release. 4/10 after patch5 cause the game is still broken at its core.

2-What are you most upset about currently? (if anything) Bad optimisation. Bad siege ai. Bad naval combat. Campaign features are too mediocre. Combat still is bad. No decent formations at all. Units still blobing.

3-Have Creative Assembly been doing a good job with updates and fixes? No

4-If you had a friend who plays Shogun 2, would you recommend them Rome 2 now? No, Id say stick with Shogun and avoid Rome 2. Wait a few months more. Maybe the flaws will be fixed by then and the game will bee cheaper.

5-What price is this game worth in your opinion? I can't tell with all the currency values. Definetely not full price.

6-What are you most impressed with in the game? Graphics are good but too bad they cant be appreciatted much because of bad optimisation.

Develope a more complex campaign. Getting rid of many of the small factions. Optimise the usage of cpu/gpu. Fix siege and naval ai. Imporove formations in land battles and getting rid of chaotic blobbing.

8-How many hours of Rome II have you played? 26 hours

9-Have you played/ enjoyed the multiplayer?
    No

Final words: Even after the patches the game is still rotten at its core. Do not be fooled by shallow reviews which claim the game is near perfect because of patches. It isnt. Important features still need to be fixed.

Pyrgopolynices's Avatar Campidoctor

8/10

- Flaming torches in sieges; actually, sieges as a whole are quite bad imo.
    - AI armies leaving cities undefended with enemy armies at their doors.

Yes, but there is a lot missing.

I would, but my last TW was Medieval 2.

I think I paid something like 25£ through amazon pre-order. I would pay the same if it were today.

I am liking the campaign map mechanics a lot more than I was anticipating. It needs a few AI improvements to get nicer, but I love it already as it is.

- I can't expect CA to change the UI, but at least it should be fully moddable. I don't like the card units and the icons overall.
    - I still think the Politics system has potential, but it isn't currently working. This should be completely revamped to confer playability and immersion.
    - Better sieges.
    - AI is never good enough in TW games, but there are AI issues that still need to be addressed.

Not as many as I would like. Only 70.

I did not play it. Maybe some day, but I will always favour single player.

Libertus

release: 5/10
    now: 5.1/10
    False marketing, alpha release, dropped features, CAI, BAI, politic system, almost everything is bad, absent or not good enough. Exceptions at point 6.
    No. And they wont. It is clear that their intentions are not to make the game we expected (or at least the game they were marketing). They are doing mostly useless updates on balancing the game (a job that will always be done better by modders) and some obvious and superficial bug fixes. I do not expect the game will ever look anything close to what we want and, as a matter of fact I doubt in CA's ability to make a good TW game anymore. Rome was their chance to redemption after the last arcadish games of the series, a solution to combine their thirst of money with a decent game and they failed.
    No. At max, I would recommend him/her to try the beta. But I dont have friends who play TW games anyway
    0. Not worth buying. I never did and I am still playing the beta. If firing it once a week for 2 hours max and get bored as hell could be called playing.
    There are a few points:
    a. regions. good idea that makes micromanagement easier. bad implementation with the lack of walled cities. Why would Syracuse have walls? Stupid historians and stupid us. Coped with the bad AI, it makes the game too easy.
    b. stances. again, in theory. but AI only knows about fast walk. Actually that is 90% of what they do: running around the map with skeleton armies, at fast pace, especially on sea. I like them and I use them but they are wasted on AI.
    c. many civilizations, even if not all playable. makes for better immersion. They sacked many points old game had that helped with immersion but they added a big one. It make turn run horrible but that is a point I understand and accept as we are gaining this.
    d. agents. they are better in almost every way except for the lack of movies. I can live with it if I imagine them killing and failing like in Shogun 2.
    e. graphics. They are good enough for me. I never cared much about maxing them out or anything. Give me a good game and you can forget graphics entirely. My HD 4850 512 mb is playing the game just fine with a mix of settings.
    everything must be improved, sent out of alpha into beta and then, into the final product. A better word would be "redesigned". Including the good points. It will never happen. CA never went too far for Rome. I am sure they beta-tested it enough to know what state they were releasing the game in. They did not care. Proof are the super torches. They implemented it for 2 reasons: siege AI is totally inept so instead of improving it, they found an easy way out. Second, it improves campaign speed and allows the many players with a 5 year old attention span to get something out of those 5 min. For most players that started gaming in the last 5-10 years, would never be able to complete a couple of hours with only micromanaging, building a strategy, planning an invasion... let us be serious - that is a lost case.

under 100. never counted them. Almost nothing when I played thousands of Rome and Medieval 2, even a couple hundreds of Shogun and about 10 hours of Empire and Napoleon combined (aside from the stupid games, I am not much of a fan of guns).
    no. I am too good for it :d
    No, actually I am an old gamer that likes to pause and build a strategy, scout, prepare a perfect army and a perfect position. I think I would get beaten badly as I am not a fast player. OK, I will beat most people but not the good ones and I never cared about being 54th or 67th.

The game is still unplayable for me so i cannot answer your questions, sorry.

Jonoleth Irenicus's Avatar Tiro

Siege AI, unfinished political system, lack of family system, battles over too quickly.

Up to and including Patch 5, yes, but not enough.

No

USD 20

The number of factions.

Siege AI, further Battle fixes and improvements, adding of missing features.

90 (initial play followed by testing / restarts post patches)

no
    [IMG][/IMG]

nigelnire's Avatar Decanus

On release 3 / 10 now 3.5 /10

False marketing ,Lack of optimisation, Very poor Ai , Broken siege Ai

No not at all

No

£ 2.99

The exit to windows button

Needs optimised and to have working Ai

Around 50

no

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Please keep this thread clean as to what the OP stated and use other existing threads for usual debates regarding game features, either for or against.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Thanks. I am impressed we can have a non discussion thread.

How can I find my own posting here. Search doesn't give me any results. I want to edit it.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

4 out of 10

Uninspired game. Total lack of immersion. Arcadish feel.

Whats really upsetting is the battles are just SOO disappointing on so many levels. I feel like Im commanding an army of black ants that simply mob up and create mosh pits of combat. We've gone from ETW, to Shogun to THIS? This is what you've been working on for all this time? Wow, theres something to be proud about.

Havent been impressed so far with anything they've done patch wise

Absolutely not

$12.99 (on a good day when you're extremely bored of all other gaming options)

The scope of the game isn't bad. Some of the graphics are nice, but I do think they did a much better job with the battle, weather, variety of maps in ETW

AI improvements across the board. BAI, CAI, just AI in general. Seriously, we're going to move our entire army out of the city to some random spot on the map when
    theres 2 cohorts raiding every farm in our province?

Around 140

Have not played, nor have I played MP in any other TW game

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Gicusan View Post
    release: 5/10
    now: 5.1/10
    False marketing, alpha release, dropped features, CAI, BAI, politic system, almost everything is bad, absent or not good enough. Exceptions at point 6.
    No. And they wont. It is clear that their intentions are not to make the game we expected (or at least the game they were marketing). They are doing mostly useless updates on balancing the game (a job that will always be done better by modders) and some obvious and superficial bug fixes. I do not expect the game will ever look anything close to what we want and, as a matter of fact I doubt in CA's ability to make a good TW game anymore. Rome was their chance to redemption after the last arcadish games of the series, a solution to combine their thirst of money with a decent game and they failed.
    No. At max, I would recommend him/her to try the beta. But I dont have friends who play TW games anyway
    0. Not worth buying. I never did and I am still playing the beta. If firing it once a week for 2 hours max and get bored as hell could be called playing.
    There are a few points:
    a. regions. good idea that makes micromanagement easier. bad implementation with the lack of walled cities. Why would Syracuse have walls? Stupid historians and stupid us. Coped with the bad AI, it makes the game too easy.
    b. stances. again, in theory. but AI only knows about fast walk. Actually that is 90% of what they do: running around the map with skeleton armies, at fast pace, especially on sea. I like them and I use them but they are wasted on AI.
    c. many civilizations, even if not all playable. makes for better immersion. They sacked many points old game had that helped with immersion but they added a big one. It make turn run horrible but that is a point I understand and accept as we are gaining this.
    d. agents. they are better in almost every way except for the lack of movies. I can live with it if I imagine them killing and failing like in Shogun 2.
    e. graphics. They are good enough for me. I never cared much about maxing them out or anything. Give me a good game and you can forget graphics entirely. My HD 4850 512 mb is playing the game just fine with a mix of settings.
    everything must be improved, sent out of alpha into beta and then, into the final product. A better word would be "redesigned". Including the good points. It will never happen. CA never went too far for Rome. I am sure they beta-tested it enough to know what state they were releasing the game in. They did not care. Proof are the super torches. They implemented it for 2 reasons: siege AI is totally inept so instead of improving it, they found an easy way out. Second, it improves campaign speed and allows the many players with a 5 year old attention span to get something out of those 5 min. For most players that started gaming in the last 5-10 years, would never be able to complete a couple of hours with only micromanaging, building a strategy, planning an invasion... let us be serious - that is a lost case.

under 100. never counted them. Almost nothing when I played thousands of Rome and Medieval 2, even a couple hundreds of Shogun and about 10 hours of Empire and Napoleon combined (aside from the stupid games, I am not much of a fan of guns).
    no. I am too good for it :d
    No, actually I am an old gamer that likes to pause and build a strategy, scout, prepare a perfect army and a perfect position. I think I would get beaten badly as I am not a fast player. OK, I will beat most people but not the good ones and I never cared about being 54th or 67th.
    Among a lot positive and negative reviews. Good points fielded.
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

1. 6/10
    2. Poor performance, 5 FPS when zoomed in close battle with many troops on screen, SUPER BADLY PERFORMANCE
    3. No
    4. I will tell my friends to hold on
    5. This game rip me off for what game's state atm, its should sell for 20 dollars max
    6. Sword and Shield combat style ( I am serious )
    7. If anything, increase performance, that it
    8. I been playing 60 hours for now ( I been stopped play 2 weeks ago )
    9. I never play multiplayer
    Its easy to make war with others, its never been easy when we need a peace.

My holy damn simple tactic; Strike First, Strike HARD and SHOW NO MERCY.

>4

>Horrible design decisions. Humanity evolves, but CA thinks we are devolving back to apes. Most of all, I hate the kindergarten level construction.

>You can fix bugs, but unless they fix their core design I can never be happy with the updates.

>Get Rome 1 Modded

>USD20

>The trailers

>AI, UI, Add Rome 1 Features and improve it for human level intellect, not apes.

>Around 100

>Unless my fellow friends wish to experience farce together

7/10

The strong simplification of the game in a arcade way, in comparison with RTW1:
    more simple : type of buildings, historical events, siege, genealogic tree.
    There's no senate and the agents are bad structured

With tecnical problems they worked hard but not with gameplay.

It's depends what if he likes a "simple" strategic arcade game I'll recommend.

30$

Open field battle and close combat graphics

They need to correct gameplay, RTW2 is not a game worthy of the CreativeAssembly series.
    As is the game bores much before compared RTW1 with or without mods.

70Hours9-Have you played/ enjoyed the multiplayer?
    Only tried battle multi but nothing different/better before previous games

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Still a 4-5 out of 10 like in my multiplayer review

- complete unreasonable Battle AI and Siege AI (give them some walls to attack and equipment)

- missing formations / blobbing / pathfinding issues because of 1v1 animation forcing

- the display of night battles have become a joke compared to all previous vanilla TW games.

- Lack of 4TPY and generic seasons in the campaigns

- a complete unhandy chat (auto hidden, no easy team / whispering like in Rome 1, global chat meanwhile- improved (regionless rooms) again but not working)

- Pila throwing methods

- I am missing the proper and functional hold position button and fire at will button which work differently and inefficiently as in Rome 1. E.g you can't throw pila without moving a unit (without a mod which is not compatible with Multiplayer battles).

- multiplayer battles with a lot of units and the most with a lot of players are currently impossible due non hardware related external network based lags of the game (having 40 fps, but stucks or plays like slomo, this also happend in the "official" youtube tournament features by CA and sponsors in the finals). This tourney was held easy with only 1v1 games, which can run well. But in case of teamplay this game is hopeless in case of performance.

- I am upset about old TW flaws like basically I do not see a lot of improvements in the game core mechanics since Rome 1 and especially not since Empire. Improper range keeping is just one of many issues.

- I am uncontent about CA aiming the game at the mass market and occasional players (streamlining the game features, building icons, unit cards) instead taking the community into account. Their statements are mostly between appreciated but a slap in a face like

"It is interesting to see how passionate people were about family trees though and that’s certainly something we will consider for future titles."

or

"The forums are a great source [...] however we are paid to have own ideas"

or

"New features are added, and certain features (list here) from previous games are therefore not included as they must naturally make way for different features."

^ Why? Memory budget again? Why redeveloping things, which worked and make them broken like "auto hold position"

or
    "We take your views seriously, and we’ll take them with us in the future."

^
    Take them with us? In the grave, getting filed? Without rumouring it means it will not happen alot with the current game (like they "confirmed" for family tree), so we need to pay again to get our ideas on the game? What about those having game enchancing ideas, some do very good posts which take hours to do, they do not get even a free DLC or copy of a game for that. They get a thank posting at most from the staff. I experienced this the same way as I had too much time and supported them with Shogun 2. It was appreciated very but nothing beyond that. Not even possible to get a "website kit" which was not available for Shogun 2 (perhaps still is not)

They fixed a lot of things and I am thankful they spent a lot of time into active bug tracking on .com and submitting changes (was not same for earlier TW games)
    Even though the list of improvements are long the most punishing issues are still present and I already allow myself to guess they cannot or will not be fixed.
    The reason for this is the quite passive open letter from Mr. Simpson and Q&As.

Actually I am very concerned CA changed the course and non giving 1 week betas and timely patches as proposed. Patch 5 was delayed 6 is delayed, no information about it, no beta. I would not be suprised if they now cannot afford the weekly patching anymore because being busy with other projects (TW Arena, DLCs, next TW game - god knows)
    Poor > developers <

I would not like to change chairs with them since Sega bought CA.

To summarize: at the beginning and till patch 3 everything seems alright with the speed they released patches but now things changed being worse.

"and we're going to continue to patch the game regularly for the foreseeable future."
    ^
    What do you forsee the future or the end sooner, what means long-term support? So many unreliable flowers of speech.

No, definitely not, unless he is very addicted to the single player mode and have an unbreakable trust into game developers

I paid 27 €, which is now, with all the extra "free" DLCs a reasonable price for the effort spent into it. Which does not means DLCs and some patches fixed it.

I love the graphical quality in some ways, like the unit animations, the map textures, cities and trees. I am one that is not the best multiplayer around and playing in teams only so sometime I have spare time to get in touch with the FP cam and zooming in and out, enjoying the details, however I need to close my eyes aswell sometimes ignoring old flaws of Warscape

Sooo many. I linked one topic, see my complaint section (it is not even complete). Then we have issues that have been acknowledged since weeks by CA but there is no patch, like broken replays , not proper working unit size for multiplayer et cetera et cetera. I think it could fill a page which I do not want to do.
    A new engine is one of my most wishes even it if could have fail start like EmpireTW. I am very sure we (they) need it, before any next game is made.

38 most of them I spent time testing patches, rebalacing of units in multiplayer, doing benchmarks to find out that after patch 4 the performance dropped by 12,5% down from an already unacceptable level at maxed out settings (now 30 fps average / Shogun 2 maxed out 77 fps average)

9-Have you played / enjoyed the multiplayer?
    I was surprised that this forum seems to be what the multiplayer community constantly say to me, a pool of single players and capable modders, which is not meant offensive. If you look through this thread the people really do not play the multiplayer.

I am the quite opposite of that, I love teaming up with clans and my clan mates and playing against other clans and random players, without the force of any "ladder" just for fun or joining tournaments. A chillin coop campaign is something I like much aswell.

Good thread, thanks for having it.
    Last edited by alQamar; October 31, 2013 at 12:18 PM.

Biarchus

1. 4
    2. Almost everything. Poor CAI, scripted garrisons, Lack of buildings/construction options, Poor BAI, Extremely poor FPS after S2TW worked perfectly, Useless political system, no family dynasties, generals constantly dying, transport ships, unhistorical land and naval units/ lack of unique units
    3. Patches have made minor differences but all major problems remain.
    4. No
    5. $10 Canadian
    6. Diplomacy but basically nothing else
    7. Complete overhaul that would bring back some old RTW and M2TW features
    8. ~50 hours
    9. Haven't played multiplayer.

At release maybe a 6,5/10 now a 8/10. If I compared it to the hours it made me put in. If it was based on my expectations for rome 2 probably a 2/10 at release and now a 6/10. (It's still improving though and I expect it to reach a solid 9/10 in a year.)

The CAI. For me the BAI has always been meh in total war. But the CAI need to be more aggressive to offer a challenge.

What could we ask more... they have release 5 patch already and are working on 2 big ones. + free DLC and now blood pack. I know the game was bad at launch, incomplete. But we need to give credits when they are due and CA is doing a heck of a job about patches seeing where they started from.

Totally. Shogun 2 is more polished. But Rome 2 is a flawed gem. There are tons of new features that are great. Different era, different game. Still worth trying and playing and follow it grows with the patches.

60$.

For the first time in Total War factions seems less like an exact copy of each others. With some balancing they will even feel unique.

Fix CAI, improve BAI in sieges battles, balance units to have elites stronger and levee weakers.
    After that, fix political and family system. Can't get married yet... my family name disappear after first generation...

Over 100.

No. For me Total War will always be a single player experience. I like to Role-play when I play.

1. 4/10 (I was going to go lower...)
    2. Aimed towards children with no brain-cells, misleading marketing, poor performance, AI, unit balance/variety/rosters, faction balance, transport fleets, weird strat map projection, 1TPY, poorly implemented province system, walls, 3 traits limit, gamey building system, lack of wonders, poor strat-to-battle map translation, flaming javelins, wardogs, nuclear torches,
    3. NO it's still broken.
    4. No chance!
    5. Free? Or an option to pay what I want like humble bundle?
    6. The 'marketing' and the CA apologists and army stances (finally a worthwhile feature)
    7. Re-hire the people that were responsible for MTW2 and make them project lead, fire Heaton, Simpson, the AI dude and krisslanza, scrap warscape and develop an engine that makes sense, actually listen to us - the fans!
    8. About 200, I'd love to do more, but I've given up.
    9. No

Cavalier's Avatar Vicarius

8/10

Nothing really

They've done an excellent job

I've never played Shogun 2, so I assume yes.

250 SEK

Graphics, combat and the amount of factions

The AI could be a little smarter. I know it's difficult for a game of this size, but still.. Oh, and 2 turns per year per default.

100+

No, I haven't.
    August Strindberg: "There's a view, current at the moment even among quite sensible people, that women, that secondary form of humanity (second to men, the lords and shapers of human civilisation) should in some way become equal with men, or could so be; this is leading to a struggle which is both bizarre and doomed. It's bizarre because a secondary form, by the laws of science, is always going to be a secondary form. Imagine two people, A (a man) and B (a woman). They start to run a race from the same point, C. A (the man) has a speed of, let's say, 100; B (the woman) has a speed of 60. Now, the question is 'Can B ever overtake A?" and the answer is 'Never!'. Whatever training, encouragement or self-denial is applied, the proposition is as impossible as that two parallel lines should ever meet."

I had a good reply but can't post it because apparently I had too many "forbidden words" in it. 0/10. Would NOT pay for if given opportunity again. Would NOT recommend. Unless to a 12-year old. Total War Franchise = dead. Played 73 hours, mostly in the first week or so. F this game.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast