Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two Flags

Rithal's Avatar Foederatus

Default Two Flags

As most people know, many regiments in the Civil War would carry two flags. 1. The flag of their nation ( of course ) either the Stars and Bars or the United States flag. There were some variations in the national flags carried by the regiments but they were all basically the same. 2. A regimental or state flag. So, what you have is a big line of men, and in the center would be the officer, drummer boy, and two flag bearers standing side by side.Not all regiments had state or regimental flags, but most did. My question is, first of all, is this possible to do in the Empire engine? I know that there is some way to do it in Shogun 2, but not sure about Empire. Second question. If it's possible for there to be 2 flags, can you make them different? I am also wondering if this has been mentioned before. I think it's a really good idea to keep historical accuracy. If this hasn't been mentioned ( I'm sure it has ) then I would like to make the suggestion of including this in future updates/patches. What are you're thoughts on this?

Default Re: Two Flags

This has been attempted since the games release,as of now you can only have 1 waving and 1 static flag,unless you want to try,there is no way. :/

Hmmmm, that's sucks. I would try to overcome this little issue but unfortunately I have the modding capabilities of a walrus. You would think there would be a way for there to be two waving flags.

Until ca releases proper modding tools, it looks pretty dim. Unless its just so obvious we're missing it right in front if our face. Hopefully it will work 1 day!

In fact there is a way,but no one helps me :'(
    ------ An American Civil War Modification for Total War : Shogun 2 ------

Sir if there is a way to get 2 WAVING flags PLEASE ENLIGHTEN US! I'll help you if I can! PLEASE EXPLAIN YOURSELF!!!!!

Trig's Avatar Centenarius

Also...since we have over 200 custom units now, and if most of them would get to have a custom flag, keep in mind someone would have to make those 200 custom flag files for the second flag. A wee bit redundant if you ask me, but since you didn't ask me, I recken I'd be happy to let someone else mess with this.

click banner for ModDB page and all ACW versions download links

Just a little question about custom flags,when you add a new texture to a flag animation to make a new flag do you simply apply the texture? Or do you have to do much more complicated stuff?

Trig,why don't we make it for just original ACW? Guys,Meanwhile,My plan is giving flags skeleton animation instead of our lovely hardcoded particle effect. We will make it as a bone,edit some animation and it will wave. To sum up,parts of second flag will be the bones of soldier,we have enough bones to do this and we will not change the skeleton system in the game. Just what we need is someone who can edit animations.

So what you're saying is simply add to the soldier model,and make it appear like he is holding a flag,which waves with the wind! This is either madness,or brilliance

It will have a waving animation,but very close to the best. It will certainly work but most probably,we will not be able to make it true. You can decide whether it is madness or brilliance,but I don't think it will be real.

Now don't use that attitude! All we need is someone to edit animations like you said! if you'd like i'll go on the hunt for some! EDIT How about this,Is it possible to keep the current flag the way it is,but take a soldier from a unit,and make his model hold a pole,the same pole as the other,and add onto that pole (which would technically be apart of the soldier) A flag like texture with the same or close waving animation? Or am I missing a point?
    EDIT 2 scratch that,as it would be the same as the static flag,The original plan seems much more possible.
    Last edited by RollTide990; October 30, 2013 at 12:43 AM.

Excuse me I did not mean anything while saying "All we need is someone to edit animations". Excuse me for misunderstanding. If you can find such a person,I will be very happy about your help. Meanwhile,I want to correct this: In my plan,the flag will be a model,not a texture... Otherwise,there is no other possible way. If you can find such a person who can edit animations,it will be really perfect.

Okay I see,so if I find the said animator,You think you can so it. Sure!

Thanks

It is so amazing that this "little problem" with having two flags still gets talked about. I tried undue hours to try and figure this out. the idea of a soldier with "bones" up there and an animation is an interesting idea. too bad I am not an animator. having two static flags was possible in the past and still is but each unit could not have a unique flag as the texture file is nowhere near big enough. I am glad that people are still on here as I thought everyone had left!

I want to give some more details,we have 10 bones to use this. It means that 10 parts of flag will move,plus,there are kinds of animations like moving,stop while running,start running while stopping etc. So it will not be a bad animation. It will wave randomly. I hope we can find an animator.

my solution to the file size is give the more generic units there national flag as their regimental flag.

In all situations,if we can find an animator,I think it worths trying. Because other mods and even at least vanilla units can use this second flag. For example,don't you want to see smaller napoleonic french flag+bigger british regimental and national flags waving?

Indeed, just the thought of that gives me chills. Can't wait for this mod to implement some of the suggestions you guys are making ( If they are possible )

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast