Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SS 6.3] Raiders across the Sea: A Denmark AAR

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Default [SS 6.3] Raiders across the Sea: A Denmark AAR

A while ago, I tried to write a Sicilian AAR, and after posting a prologue, not only the game but my entire computer crashed. Now I have a new computer and

I'm going to try again, this time with Denmark. I've picked up some new styles from reading around, so hopefully at least it can give a few people some entertainment! I'll post my first update within an hour.

Author's Note: (Reproduced from most recent post) Welcome to readers both new and old! Thank you for taking the time to look at this AAR! It's been quite an absence for myself and by default for the AAR, which could hardly write itself, and this world-weary author strongly recommends going back to the beginning and reading the whole AAR from the beginning, whether your a new or an old reader (as a matter of fact, I had to go re-read it for myself before I could figure out what was going on)

Table of Contents (YAY!):
    Last edited by Axis Sunsoar; July 05, 2016 at 05:14 PM.

Default Re: [SS 6.3] Raiders across the Sea: A Denmark AAR

Prologue
    The Conquest of Normandy and other things that I didn’t screenshot because I didn’t think I was going to make an AAR

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It is the year of our lord 1118, and Denmark is blessed with some of the most spectacularly incompetent generals to grace the continent throughout all recent memory.

On the upside, our noble leader is considered a living saint, which is rather stupid, considering that to be a saint, one must be dead. His brother and current heir Niels seems to have light shining out of him, which is probably somewhat off-putting to those that have to deal with him. The king’s first son was a fairly capable commander, but he fell in the middle of a battle that was already won, leading a charge just to make a point.
    But more of that later. For now, we will discuss the humble beginnings of the kingdom.

At the time our story begins, the King was so obsessed with maintaining a reputation of piety that he spent 95% of his time on his knees before the altar. The remaining five percent of time was spent being an ineffective commander, ruler, and human being in general. So perhaps it was for the best that he tended to stay out of the kingdom’s affairs. The prince certainly thought so, he could often be heard to remark that, “My father is welcome to his gospels, as long as he leaves me the kingdom, and the money, and the army. In fact, I feel that it is a perfectly fair trade.”

Essentially, Prince Knud ran the kingdom, the army, and the money. The first thing he did was take care of the non-military matters around the kingdom. First he sent Toke to put some “independent” (read: rebel) merchant out of business. After failing to do this legally Toke had to wait for a year for some reason, and not wanting to take any chances, invited the other man out on his private yacht to discuss business, and then casually pushed him and his retainers into the Baltic. Meanwhile, he had his sister move south to set up an alliance with the Holy Roman Empire. He knew it was unlikely that the treaty would be kept forever, but he had to cover his bases, because, “I plan to gather our whole force together and sail north to take Norway.” Knud told his uncle Niels in the town hall of Roskilde.

The king had been invited to this meeting as well, but he was disinterested in the conversation, instead preferring to play with his favorite dolls, each one representative of a character from the gospel. “Seems like a solid strategy,” Niels responded. “Indeed! I will sail north with every soldier the kingdom can field and capture Bergen. Then on to England!” Niels looked puzzled. “You realize that the Norwegians also hold…um” he paused as he realized he actually couldn’t remember the city name he was trying to remember. “Eikersomething” he finished lamely. Right then, I’ll sail north, take Bergen, take Erikswhateveritis, and then on to England!”
    “Quite right! Wait, England? Why England?”

The mayor of Roskilde, who coupled as Niels’ assistant, pulled Knud’s uncle aside and informed him that Knud had made his way into the library, where he had found an epic poem composed about the Danish Kingdom in England, and now he seemed to have illusions of grandeur, and had the idea that he would be able to perhaps capture enough territory to create an Anglo-Danish kingdom. Armed with this information he returned to the meeting to find that nothing had changed except that the king was now reading the Bible, having tired of the dolls.

“Of course, but first it must be certain that the Norwegians are eliminated before you can move on.” The king didn’t notice when the signet was slid off his finger in order to stamp the seal onto the official order that gave Prince Knud the authority to attack England in the name of Denmark, after the destruction of Norway. Niels looked around furtively before sliding the ring on his own finger.

Knut took this to heart, and he made good on his promise to empty the kingdom of fighting-men too. Aarhus was converted to a castle so that troops could be trained easier. After it had been converted and trained some better troops, he gathered up his force and left. When he was done, all that was left was 120 spear militia in Lund, Niels and his bodyguard in Roskilde, and the king in Aarhus. One year after he marched, word arrived

Letter from Prince Knud to His royal majesty King Erik and the noble council of Denmark

Father (Or uncle, as I know it will be you who reads this),
    The king of Norway is dead, and Bergen belongs to us! We were able to identify the king by his carefully trimmed goatee and ridiculous unibrow. All our five companies of archers stood at the opening to the castle common and unloaded all of their quivers into him and his bodyguard, setting the arrows alight before loosing them. For some reason, he did not move from the square even as the men of his guard fell, wreathed in flames all around him. Eventually, we were out of arrows, but the general and one of his bodyguards still stood. We proceeded to bum-rush him on all sides with our spear militias and so we poked him full of holes in the most respectful way with utmost attention given to his standing.
    All the best,
    Knud, Prince of Denmark, lord of Lund.

The herald’s voice rang out through the chamber, “ PRESENTING HIS HAIRY BEARDEDNESS, THE KING OF DENMARK!... (or is it bearded hairiness…?)… *ahem MANLIEST OF ALL OF THE MANLY MEN!” The manliest of all manly men was currently intent on the creation of a lace crucifix, the process of which was much like that of making a lace doily. He looked up briefly and waved the half-finished art project at his council of nobles, who were gathered in the keep’s reception hall. The letter was read out to the nobles, who promptly burst into applause. Then nothing happened in the kingdom for another year, except for the continuation of construction on the communal farms at Aarhus.
    Another year brought another letter.

Second letter from Prince Knud to King and council

My father (And once again, my uncle),
    At last, Eikerwhatsit has fallen beneath our Danish swarm! There was only a bodyguard and a force of archers. Our Viking raiders swarmed the wall and took out the archers with minimal casualties. A repeat of the strategy with this newly ascended king, who also chose to sit in the middle of the town as we shot him, ended it. This time, he fell to arrows without our spearmen even needing to finish him off. I now know for sure that they are done for, because a convenient message appeared out of nowhere, informing me that they had been destroyed.

In addition, the army that was advancing on the token garrison at Bergen turned rebel.

All the best,
    Knut
    Prince of Denmark, Lord or Lund, Protector of Scandinavia

The picture of the rebel, who was represented by a single large man in gray, led to the widespread use of that art style, especially for giving reports. In honor of its creator, it was know as “Knutter art”
    In the space underneath he had scrawled a postscript:

Headed to England to bring our empire glory

Last edited by Axis Sunsoar; January 15, 2014 at 11:06 PM.

Interesting writing style, very funny indeedI wonder how many things will go wrong with their invasion of England

General Retreat's Avatar Policeman Pleb

It's good to see another Danish AAR. I'll be keeping an eye on this one to see how it goes.
    Swords of the Sea: 1066 has come and gone, the Danelaw torn down and a new kingdom built in the image of its Norman rulers. But with time, wounds heal and what is broken can be reforged. The Danes have returned with steel, and seek to reclaim what is theirs.
    The Great Expedition: Pax Anglia, one of Earth's great empires, sprawling across the stars. On their newly colonised planet of Nova Sydney, adventure awaits on the savage frontier - Henry Boyce steps forward to lead an expedition to pierce the Bushlands' wild heart.
    Winter War: Finland, 1939. The Soviet war machine has begun its indomitable advance from the east. Of all its neighbours, only Finland stands alone in defiance. Conscript Anton Bezrukov prepares for a quick victory, but the reality is far bloodier...

Oh boy... I have way too much time on my hands, because I have already almost finished another update, will be uploading as soon as I proofread and can put the pictures in.

Chapter I
    Merrye London Town

Niels finished reading the letter, raising his eyebrows at the addition of “Protector of Scandinavia,” and turned to the courier. What will you require in payment. “Pillage! Rape! Kill!” came the reply. “Uh-huh… will that be cash, check or credit?” When the courier had been directed to the nearest town with the potential for raping, pillaging, and killing, Niels immediately began writing his own letter. Finishing it, he sanded the paper, rolled it up, and called his own personal courier. One of the kingdom’s “royal couriers” would simply not be good enough. The material of this message was extremely confidential… Besides his messenger could be relied on not to stop at every town he passed to pillage and rape, so he would get there on time. He then called one of his most useful servants in, gave him very careful instruction, then stabbed him and tossed the body into the moat.

Knut’s fleet irritatingly ran right into a Scottish armada, which was commanded by an admiral with an unpronounceable, realistic and culturally accurate name. For some reason this meant that he had to wait another year before he would be able to sail around them.
    When he finally landed, Knut was able to quickly recruit some Welsh spearmen and Gwent Raider mercenaries, as well as the hardy Saxon Huskarls that would prove invaluable in the upcoming engagement. Of course they all charged exorbitant rates, but fortunately Knut was no pauper, and though he didn’t want to admit it, his troops sucked. They were base-level Danish warriors. He quickly moved on to the English city of London and prepared a siege. As he moved toward the city, he was informed that besieging the city would be considered a declaration of war with England.

No! Really…?

One day soon before the assault, Knut sat inside his command tent with several members of his bodyguard. Frode, the man who always rode at his right hand looked over the mug he was drinking out of. “So my prince, how do plan to take care of this merry London-town?” Knut whirled and slapped him across the face. A man does not marry a town fool! Frode shied back, of course not, it’s just that that seems to be what the locals call the place. “Oh, right then. Well, I plan to send in towers up the wall on either side of the gate. Then, once they’ve captured it, our whole force can pull in.”
    “What of the reports that there are reinforcements coming from the north to assist the city?” I will simply leave a reserve force of spearmen and archers, and, of course, myself. In fact, I will deal with them myself!”
    “Ah, a show of personal bravery then?”
    “Of course”
    “Well, how about if we make a little bet then? Whoever kills the most men owes the other man as much ale as he can hold ot the London tavern as soon as we capture the city. Asger can keep count for us.” The named banner man looked surprised. “I was just about to suggest the same thing!” he said smirking wryly.
    “Why not, I’ll drink to that!” Knud said, laughing at his joke as he took a swig from his tankard.
    Men brought towers up toward the walls under the supervision of Knud. The assault of London was finally beginning. War horns sounded all along the walls as the guards realized what was happening. Knut watched the towers with a ridiculous grin of pride on his face for a while, then looked as a call from one of his own sentries caused him to look. Two companies of English archers were running as fast as they could across the open ground separating them from the far gate.
    Since they were only archers, Knut led his bodyguard after them personally.

The Danish knights chivalrously made mincemeat of the fleeing archers, who apparently were locked out of their own city.

Then something even more unexpected happened (or is it less expected?) The English decided that it was about time to let their comrades in, after 95% of them were dead. Prince Knud’s men rushed through the gateway. A few more archers perished before the resident lord (read: idiot) of England decided to charge. Knut had 14 more bodyguards than the Englishman, but that didn’t stop him from barreling ahead in a charge for the glory of King Henry.

The two groups met with a resounding crash, and many men fell in the first moments. Then lances were cast aside, and blades were drawn so that the knights could practice the noble art of whacking another man’s armor until you got through it.

It was at this moment that the few surviving English archers decided that it would be an excellent idea to line up and start pumping arrows in to the back of their own commander’s bodyguards.
    The English general realized his charge was a stupid idea right about…

now.

And then he didn’t have time to think about much of anything (Because he was dead).

A decent force of Danish spearmen and Viking raiders moved swiftly around to the gate which had kindly been opened for the routing English archers. They poured into the town square. This danger was quickly responded to by the English, who sent three companies of fyrd spearmen into what would become a general massacre in the town square to attempt to shove the Danes out. Once upon a time, these saxon warriors had been almost the exact equal of the Danes, but they had spent too much time drinking bad tea and talking about the weather for the man of Denmark to ever consider them relatives. The somewhat hairier, uglier, and ruder Danes were able to form a schiltrom just before the English pansies reached them.

As the two sides with a clash of metal and the delightful screaming of many suffering men, the Vikings suddenly found their axes to the pinnacle of technology in the midst of all of these men poking each other with sharp sticks. They happily tore into the soft-talking, weak-stabbing Anglicized fyrdsmen. The two Danish companies were able to hold against vastly superior numbers until they were reinforced.
    Nothing really eventful happened regarding the assaults on the walls.

Unless you consider a single unit of Saxon huscarl mercenaries holding out against four companies of assorted English spearmen and only taking half casualties eventful. When the battle’s commander finally realized that the walls had been captured he was able to redirect the men tasked with that to the aid of their countrymen. After that, it was pretty much over for the English.

Historians writing about the capture of London have ever since labeled this the moment the English knew they were screwed. Those even more learned know that it was also the moment that Prince Knud charged back into the fray. However no historian knows the full truth of what happened there. Only the men who were present possess that knowledge, and now they are a dying breed. The conversation before the charge went something like,
    “Asger, how many kills do I have?”
    “24 my prince”
    “How many men has Frode slain?”
    “25 noble one.”
    “Damn it! The English are almost all slain! Charge!”
    His bodyguards chose not to follow him right then, and the rest, as they say…

Is history.

The remainder of the battle passed uneventfully, as the English really were screwed.
    100 miles away and two days later, Niels smiled as he read the end of the battle report from Frode.
    Two rooms away, King Erik cackled maniacally as he scanned the end of Asger’s report.
    Last edited by Axis Sunsoar; July 05, 2016 at 06:14 AM.

Chapter II
    The battle continues (Slowly)

With the untimely and completely unexpected death of Prince Sven, it seemed likely that all of his soaring ideals of a Danish controlled Britannia would come to naught. However, before he left, Prince Sven had imparted all of his collected knowledge of Britannia to his young cousin, Magnus Estridson. At the same time, he had planted the seed of desire in the young man’s mind, and now Magnus had come of age and Sven had fallen, he was ready to pick up where everything had been left off. About the same time, Frode returned to Denmark. Niels was going to adopt the man, but Prince Magnus volunteered to instead.

Ignoring his complete inability to command men, Magnus followed in the footsteps of his uncle and emptied the country of fighting-men. Being scornful of his father, Magnus didn’t listen when Niels suggested that he leave some men behind. However, he adored his uncle Erik, so Niels forged a letter from Erik to Magnus, and the boy resignedly allowed a garrison to stay in Arhus. However, all of the other men he took, then recruited some mercenaries to form a fairly good-sized fighting force. By the time he was 25, Magnus was set up for his invasion of England.

This was the first step on his road to England. His second step would be the one onto a ship. The fleet, under Admiral Jon was gathered at the mouth of a sheltered bay, but for some reason, was not taking advantage of the bay’s shelter, only staring at it and thinking how pretty it looked. Then something quite unfortunate happened.

This particular battle, predictably, did not go well for the Danish fleet, and every single ship wound up sunk in the engagement. This was somewhat irritating to the impatient Magnus, but he was able to quickly enlist the aid of some mercenary sailors and get to the middle of the sea, escaping the notice of the pirates.

The lands that Magnus had his sights set on were not exactly resting easy either. Immediately after the city was captured, Asger (the very same Asger who had made the bet with Sven) had been the obvious choice to take command. He ordered London razed (partially so that no one would realize that Sven had had a little help dying… from behind) , and then began the process of converting it to a castle in order to be more defensible on the foreign soil of England.

Right away a small English force moved toward London. Asger took most of the men in the city and marched out to meet the Englishmen.

It was a fairly basic army that he was facing, except that it contained two units of milites, a typically powerful form of cavalry. Asger reacted quickly to this threat, and commanded his norse archers to set up the wooden stakes that they carried in front of the army so that the enemy cavalry didn’t get any bright ideas about charging his center. A schiltrom of spear militia held the spot behind the stakes. The flanks were held by two more schiltroms of spear militia, with the schiltroms all being connected by yet more spear militia. These men on the front lines were backed up by Gwent raider mercenaries and Saxon Huskarls in the middle. The archers were all in the middle of this tight group with two “swing” groups of spearmen. One group was tasked with guarding the archers specifically, and the other would move to whichever flank was hardest pressed.

Asger’s plan and formation worked perfectly, and even the milites were unable to penetrate the formation. The spearmen in the rear were able to protect the archers, and the other free group slaughtered the enemy cavalry freely. In fact, the battle was going almost boringly well. So boringly in fact, that the men decided to screw it up. The archers decided to move backwards out of the protective cup being formed by the danes at the same time that the mercenary Welsh spearmen decided to go chasing after a group of cavalry.

Asger was able to work quickly around this problem, ordering the Huskarls forward of their position to eliminate the enemy spearmen decisively, while one unit of spear militia moved backwards to come up on the back of the last unit of English milites, who had begun to run amok within the unprotected units of archers. In doing this he was able to eliminate the entire remaining English presence of the battlefield. Thus was victory attained.

A month later the King had adopted Asger into the royal family, ostensibly for his battlefield achievements, but many suggested that it might be because he liked the name Asger. No one guessed that it could have been totally unrelated to either thing, and the king certainly didn't plan on telling anyone.

At home, the princess that Sven had sent south continued toward France. On the way she was approached by a series of increasingly elderly suitors, culminating with a particularly creepy 60 year old man.

Finally, the king seemed to take an interest in affairs to the east. He sent a message to the spy in the field, who many men had forgotten about. He learned that the man had been standing in a position to the east of Lund for 20-some years now, doing absolutely nothing. Much to his delight, he also learned that the spy’s name was Budle, which he found wonderful.

Niels understood the real import, which was that they had a spy ready for action. He quickly sent him to spy on a little rebel village to the north. It didn’t work out well.

The King was heartbroken at the news, and issued his first royal order in a decade. The immediate training of a new spy. He also issued a decree demanding that the new spy be named Budle as well.

Nothing else ever came of the inquiries into Scandinavian affairs. With this new level of the king’s idiocy exposed, Niels had no choice but to slap his head in irritation at his brother, and hope that the kingdom would survive the cuckold’s reign.
    Last edited by Axis Sunsoar; January 15, 2014 at 11:05 PM.

Wolar's Avatar Tiro

An old phrase comes to mind.. ..And Now for Something Completely Different. Cheers (and rep) for a funny AAR!
    Scripta manent, verba volant.

My Byzantine AAR
    My Rome II story

Chapter II.V
    "Something completely different"

The former once Prince Knud, now just regular Knud opened his eyes, which was a suprise in itself, as he had been fairly sure he was dead. The second surprise was a bright white light stabbing into his pupils which felt as though it was piercing his brain.

After a couple minutes of writhing about pathetically, he managed to get to his feet, which proved to be a challenge, as the surface he was on proved to be distinctly jello-y, and as he tried to take a step, he collapsed again. "Odin's beard!" he cursed, then remembered that the Danes were Catholics now, and quickly crossed himself.

Deciding he was just fine not getting up, Knud looked around, and realized he was lying on a cloud. In fact, there were clouds everywhere. "Oh, I get it," he thought to himself "I'm dead after all, I'm just up here in Heaven." Apparently he had spoken the thought aloud, because a moment later, another voice answered him. "Oh, I'm not sure of that," the voice said, "I've become fairly convinced that this here is Asgard." "Oh for the love of... all that is holy." Knud cursed. He also mentally un-crossed himself, as apparently that really wouldn't help. "But, you know, I'm not convinced it isn't Catholic heaven." mused the voice, almost as if it had known what Knud was thinking. The former prince of Denmark crossed himself again quickly, just to be safe.

Then he turned to see what the man whom he had been identifying as "The Voice" (Other epithets he had considered included "The X-Factor")

What he saw was a very familiar looking middle-aged man. "Wait, you're one of Uncle Niels' servants!" Knud exclaimed, very pleased with himself for this discovery. "Oh, very clever, but I never get a name do I, I'm just 'Uncle Niels servant'" The man performed a very poor high-pitched, whiny impersonation of Knud at this point, then spat through his two missing front teeth. "Well, yes and now, I was Niels' servant, until fairly recently, when he called me into his chamber, and told me to give you a message next time I saw you. 'But boss,' I says, 'When am I ever going to see the prince' and he says ' very soon if everything goes according to plan' and then he stabbed me and tossed me out of the tower!"

As odd as this news was, Knud barely heard any of it, he stopped listening as soon as he heard about the message for him, and as soon as the other man was done speaking he blurted, "And what was this message?" The man paused, as if trying to remember. "It was, um, something about Frode Folkesen..." "What about him?" Knut asked as he heard the name of his bodyguard. "It was, um, oh, yes, Niels wanted you to know that Frode was promised power if he found a way to kill you, and just wanted to say that... I believe his words were, he outsmarted you." The messenger seemed very pleased with himself for remembering, and at least for the time being was not considering just what he has said. Prince Knud was enraged. "That bastard! Why would he do that?" After thinking for a moment, he realized the reasons. They were twofold. Niels feared his growing power, and no doubt wished to secure the secession for his line, instead of having it passed down through his brother Erik's family, and potentially slipping from his half forever.

As he considered this, he became aware of a presence behind him. Another man stepped out from the cloud he was hiding behind. "That is interesting indeed, because I have a very similar message from another man you may know, or should I say, have known."

Last edited by Axis Sunsoar; January 15, 2014 at 11:07 PM.

A bit of Danish court intrigue a'la Post Mortem discussions here for anyone who's actually reading!

Also special thanks to Wolar for giving me an idea for the chapter title! I already popped over and read your AAR, and its quite a gem, would recommend it anyone who enjoys a historical style.

General Retreat's Avatar Policeman Pleb

Great post here, very funny.

Between me and Wolar you know you have at least two regular readers, but I somewhat suspect the actual number is much higher than that.
    Swords of the Sea: 1066 has come and gone, the Danelaw torn down and a new kingdom built in the image of its Norman rulers. But with time, wounds heal and what is broken can be reforged. The Danes have returned with steel, and seek to reclaim what is theirs.
    The Great Expedition: Pax Anglia, one of Earth's great empires, sprawling across the stars. On their newly colonised planet of Nova Sydney, adventure awaits on the savage frontier - Henry Boyce steps forward to lead an expedition to pierce the Bushlands' wild heart.
    Winter War: Finland, 1939. The Soviet war machine has begun its indomitable advance from the east. Of all its neighbours, only Finland stands alone in defiance. Conscript Anton Bezrukov prepares for a quick victory, but the reality is far bloodier...

Sorry I haven't posted since my original post, stuffs been really busy

Your chapters seem to be getting funnier and funnier each time. I especially loved the bit where the king decreed that the spy be named Budle. Just imagine if you were infiltrated by a guy named Budle. Pretty embarrassing if you ask me.

Thank you, thank you very much *waves to fans*

Time to get back to the action with the next chapter. I can't promise it will be as amusing, as it takes the game really handing you some stupid enemies to make a battle funny.

But some of the stuff, you just can't right, and what the game does is more than adequate.

Hopefully post later today!

Edit: Going to visit my grandfather's grave (He served in the U.S. Navy, and it is Veterans day here in the U.S. of A) so the update will be a little later
    Last edited by Axis Sunsoar; November 11, 2013 at 11:56 AM. Reason: just remembered...

Icon1 Re: [SS 6.3] Raiders across the Sea: A Denmark AAR

Chapter III
    Clearing the air

Asger reentered London, now a “local hero,” (Which meant that the Danes in the city thought of him as a hero). Less than a month later, some random Scots with Haggis on the brain decided that it would be an excellent idea to besiege the city and search it for more of their preferred cultural snack.

Then, after two months of the siege, a Scottish Diplomat approached Asger and proposed a ceasefire.

At this point, even the fairly intelligent Asger was incredibly puzzled by these odd foreigners, to say nothing of the confusion the grunts on the gate garrison. However, Asger happily accepted the proposal, and all of the Scots hopped on their ship and sailed off.
    As admiral Oluf sailed Magnus across the ocean to England, they passed a random Leonese fleet that for some reason was patrolling Danish-English waters. Admiral Oluf and his bloodthirsty mercenary Danish crew really wanted to kill some stupid Iberians, but Magnus was unwilling to start a war, because he knew that as soon as they attacked, the King of Leon-Castille would magically know about it, so he ordered them to sail on.
    A year later Magnus Landed on English Soil, and began his march across the countryside to find a castle to siege. He was somewhat depressed as he had to march away from a rather attractive English Princess who was waiting near London, but he would deal with it.

Back in Denmark, Prince Niels learned that perhaps he didn’t have many positive personality traits to pass on to his children as both of his daughters bore unfortunate epithets:

Apparently, someone still wanted to marry them.

I guess there’s no accounting for some people’s taste…
    Once more in England, the war was beginning to heat up with multiple skirmishes where the Danish invasion forces battled smaller groups of English soldiers, with the dual objectives of bludgeoning the enemy forces into oblivion as well as minimizing their own losses, as they were far from help, and the bloody English were swarming all over the land.

Magnus moved quickly, hoping to clear the countryside of the English before they could unite into a cohesive force, then realized he didn't really know what cohesive meant. All of that thinking put him in a bad mood, so he led his troops against the first Englishmen he found. The attack was swift, decisive, and resulted in a battle overwhelmingly in Magnus’ most chivalrous favor.

The Danes, always favoring geometrically shaped formations, lined up in a triangle(ish) pattern with some cavalry in reserve. The English began to march forward toward the tightly packed spearmen, too late realizing that there were archers in the middle of the blob, who began shooting on the red-and yellow liveried yellowbellies. Eventually, English forces reached Danish lines, and steel clashed.

Amid the chaos, Magnus peered intently ahead, looking at the man who seemed to be the enemy captain. He was trailed by a group of what appeared to be minstrels, who were busy singing tales of his bravery. Suddenly, Danish Viking raiders broke through English lines and charged at the captain. After most of Captain Robin’s spearmen were slain, he bravely turned his tail and fled, while he minstrels gleefully goaded him about it. Finally, Danish cavalry rode the coward down, slaying him and his minstrels.

And there was much rejoicing.

Now it was Asger’s turn to go on the offensive. He took the garrison of London to fight an English army that was raiding the countryside, raping and pillaging indiscriminately. Asger found the fact that stupid Englishmen would be emulating this typical Danish behavior to be offensive, so he attacked them.

As the English darted out of the woods they left their ballista wide open, and Asger took this opportunity to run them down before they could cause any damage. Meanwhile, the English infantry decided it would be fun to charge out against the remaining Danish troops. These men were tactically stationed across a gently curving ridge, with the archers to the left, and the spearmen to the right. Firing at a down angle the archers wreaked havoc among the English. However, four companies of spearmen were still able to chase after the archers, who didn’t want to take any unnecessary casualties.
    Danish infantry were able to catch one unit of stragglers off guard, and overwhelmed them with minimal losses.

The Danes quickly gave chase the remaining English spearmen, who in turn were pursuing the Danish archers, who were unwilling to stand in a melee fight with them. Another unit of English spear turned to fight them, and suffered the same fate as the first, but routed even sooner. Then Asger and the remaining men of Knut’s bodyguard, whom he had named his own bodyguard, smashed into the back of the rest of the fleeing spearmen, sending many flying. Moments after the impact, they were running recklessly, all trying to escape from the cavalrymen. Asger’s archers slaughtered them mercilessly. Asger and his cavalry then wheeled around and went in pursuit of the enemies that had escaped the confrontation with the Danish spears.
    As he rode, he looked into the valley to revel in the sight of the English corpses that had been scattered there by the archers. He was almost run down by his own bodyguard as they rushed on toward the still living Englishmen.

When the battle was over, Asger had hunted down every single English soldier, leaving none alive. He had lost only twelve men. He and his force returned to London, which was newly converted to a castle.
    Four months later, word came from Magnus that the remaining English armies had fled, and that he was laying siege to English-held Winchester.

Even as Asger and Magnus drew near to their 40th and 35th years, respectively, Danish interests in England were looking good.
    Last edited by Axis Sunsoar; January 15, 2014 at 11:07 PM.

Chapter IV
    The Scales Tip… The wrong way

Probably as should have been expected, the pope decided that he couldn’t have the Danes overwhelming England too quickly, so he threatened excommunication if they didn’t stop attacking, so Magnus had to lift the siege, pack up, and return to London, now converted to a castle.

However, Magnus didn’t mind that too much, as when he returned to London, there were plenty of English ladies around, who didn’t mind his presence at all, despite the war between their peoples.

Back home, Niels planned to make use of Christian Budle af Tuse to inspect the border with the “independent” castle of Kalmar. What he saw was not a happy sight.

Niels would have sent him in to get a better look at either the army or the city, but King Erik didn’t want to risk his new best friend, so he issued another royal decree, this time that Budle wouldn’t be allowed to actually try to infiltrate anything.

Two months later Niels called a conference with Erik to discuss this, to see if he could persuade him to allow a little more advanced reconnaissance. However Erik was reluctant, which he demonstrated by hiding behind the manger in the life-sized Nativity scene that occupied the Dais left of the throne. This odd decoration was the main reason that Niels normally preferred to take foreign dignitaries and guests himself at his hall in Roskilde.
    Eventually Niels gave up, suggesting that perhaps he was just reluctant to lose another friend as he had so recently lost his son. Suddenly Erik looked up, with (almost) all trace of madness gone, his gaze almost as piercing as it had been in his youth.
    “I killed him.” He said. “I killed my son.”
    “No, I think you’re mistaken, I promised one of his bodyguards the power of a lord if he could ensure his death. It was Frode Folkesen.”
    “Really?” Erik asked, “Because I promised to take Asger af Daal as my new son if he could remove Knut.”
    “Aye,” was the reply, “I was worried by that new title, “Protector of Scandinavia” it seemed a little high and mighty to me, and I was worried about what other ideas he might have.”
    “And you wanted to take succession for your half of the line.” Erik said matter-of factly. “I ordered Knut killed because I was worried he would get to me first to try and gain more authority by hurrying up his rise to the kingship.”
    As he began to speak, a recently knighted knight entered the chamber. He was just old enough to have been serving as a 15 year old Karl during the “good old days” of Knut’s rapid campaign against the Norwegians. He went into a berserker rage upon hearing this and rushed forward, snapping of one of the wisemen’s wooden staves and running it through King Erik’s heart.
    Niels whipped out his dagger and ran it quickly across the knight’s neck. Blood sprinkled across the oak floor of the great hall, and another body quickly followed, leaving Niels standing alone in the hall, the new king of the Danes. A new king with a bit of a mess to clean up.
    Normally it would be beneath a monarch of any nation to do any kind of cleaning, but this particular mess was one that Niels was willing to take care of. He could delegate it, but then he would probably have to kill whoever he had clean it, because this was one mess that the fewer people who knew about it, the better.
    Niels contemplated what he could do for a while, then finally came to a solid conclusion. As soon as Erik’s wound stopped bleeding, he heaved the corpse up, which was by no means an easy task as not only was Niels well into his 60th year, but the former King had been as fond of filling his stomach as he had been of filling his soul.
    After heaving the body up to the royal chamber, Niels went into the wardrobe and pulled out a deep purple satin robe. He substituted it for the ripped and bloodstained garment he had been wearing. He tossed the damaged tunic into the fireplace, where he proceeded to light a merry blaze.
    He returned downstairs to carry the young knight’s body up to a balcony and toss it into the moat. It was a commonly accepted part of Viking politics that bodies would turn up in the moat, and no questions should be asked. After scrubbing the floor clean, he had word spread that the king was deathly ill.
    For the next few days he stayed tirelessly beside the corpse, appearing to keep vigil for his “sick” brother, as well as making sure there was a constant supply of ice to keep the body from rotting. He ensured that no one would ever see the injury that was hidden by the robe.
    Two days later, news was spread throughout the kingdom that Erik had died quietly in his sleep.

The whole kingdom mourned the passing of the man who they believed had ushered in this golden age, with none of them realizing that it was actually the military skill of Knut and his captains (and to a far lesser extent, Magnus) and the political savvy and cunning of Niels that had caused the recent successes.
    Niels understood the necessity of this charade, but it still pained him, as he was a very prideful man. Oddly enough, the deaths of the two men that had opened his path to the crown, Knud and the King, also deprived him of the only two men who knew who was the true brain behind the kingdom.
    The next morning, King Niels was crowned. A week later, a crusade was called, and the Pope sent messengers out to all the catholic Kingdoms requesting their participation.

Niels was irritated at first, then, suddenly he heard the messenger say “Vilinius.” The capitol of pagan Lithuania was just across the water. Niels sent a man to fetch his grandson by adoption, Frode, to him. He immediately gave him leave to commission the training of whatever troops he needed to join the crusade. There were plenty of youths willing to volunteer. As the saying goes, “There are two things that make boys men, American Football, and the military,” and, as American football wasn’t around back then, it would have to be the military for them.

Perhaps things were looking up once more, if the Danes could capture Vilinius, they would surely be back in the pope’s good graces.
    Last edited by Axis Sunsoar; January 15, 2014 at 11:08 PM.

After a substantial hiatus, a new chapter! hooray!

Today I found the leisure to finally read through this AAR, and I must say I really like it! The game itself does present many twists and turns, and one can either make a serious AAR our of it or - as in this case - a funny one. The "tone" of the narrative reminds me of the hilarious "Oh dear"-AAR at times, but it has its own flavour. I particularly laughed when the spy was found in the countryside - less so about his name (being no native speaker, the name "Budle" did not ring any bell in my head) but about the fact that he was rediscovered after so many turns. Who has not forgotten about some game character in some far-off place and rediscovered him/her after many game years, thinking "damn - completely forgot that one!")? And of course if this is translated into a storyline, it must appear awkward - what has this guy been doing all these years?

I also saw some other things which I personally found funny - for example when looking at the diplomacy screen in which the weird Scottish offered peace to the Danes: Does not the Scottish diplomat have his eyes widened to a certain degree? And the Scottish are labeled as "reliable" and "very weak"? Maybe their minds have been clouded by temporary madness or something to attack London? And Asger looks really smug!

Well... enjoyable read, +rep of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Strengelicher View Post
    Today I found the leisure to finally read through this AAR, and I must say I really like it! The game itself does present many twists and turns, and one can either make a serious AAR our of it or - as in this case - a funny one. The "tone" of the narrative reminds me of the hilarious "Oh dear"-AAR at times, but it has its own flavour. I particularly laughed when the spy was found in the countryside - less so about his name (being no native speaker, the name "Budle" did not ring any bell in my head) but about the fact that he was rediscovered after so many turns. Who has not forgotten about some game character in some far-off place and rediscovered him/her after many game years, thinking "damn - completely forgot that one!")? And of course if this is translated into a storyline, it must appear awkward - what has this guy been doing all these years?

I also saw some other things which I personally found funny - for example when looking at the diplomacy screen in which the weird Scottish offered peace to the Danes: Does not the Scottish diplomat have his eyes widened to a certain degree? And the Scottish are labeled as "reliable" and "very weak"? Maybe their minds have been clouded by temporary madness or something to attack London? And Asger looks really smug!

Well... enjoyable read, +rep of course.
    I also found it amusing mostly that I had forgotten him, and equally amusing that he wound up dying on a 75% chance immediately afterwards. And I needed a ridiculous decree for the king to make.

And those Scottish... I just don't know about them.
    After I wrap this up I think I might try a serious AAR.

Wolar's Avatar Tiro

Enjoyable as ever. +rep.
    Scripta manent, verba volant.

My Byzantine AAR
    My Rome II story

Just caught up, as funny as ever, nice workHave some rep as well(though only if Budle survives!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast