View Poll Results: Should I add Warhorses as a campaign map resource node ?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

25 80.65%
  • No!

6 19.35%
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Meaningful Resources

Default Meaningful Resources

**Warning**
    Version (2.0) requires a NEW CAMPAIGN

PLEASE THINK BEFORE SUGGESTING RESOURCE RELOCATION OR ADDITION, AND THEN REFERENCE HISTORICAL DATA. I KNOW WHERE THINGS ARE OFF, AND WHERE THEY ARE NOT. THIS IS A VIDEO GAME, AND THAT HAS TO BE KEPT IN MIND. I DO NOT WANT TO HINDER THE AI, OR MAKE RESOURCES TOO DENSE OR SPARSE IN AREAS.
    AREAS THAT HAVE SPARSE RESOURCES ARE INTENTIONAL AND HAVE ADDED FEATURES TO COPE WITH IT.

WITH THAT SAID. IF YOU HAVE A LEGITIMATE SUGGESTION, AND HAVE PLAY TESTED THE MOD, AND REFERENCED THE LOCATION VIA THE SUPPLIED RESOURCE MAP. BY ALL MEANS PLEASE HELP ME.

VERSION 2.0 RELEASED
    For use with Grand Campaign only!
    (Sorry to those that have been waiting. This was a lot of work for me with my limited time as of late. Plus Thanksgiving and all.)
    Please report any bugs you find.

AVAILABLE ON STEAM CLICK HERE (Recommended)

I designed this for my own playthroughs... however now I am sharing it. Its been extensively play tested, a lot of thought has went into the balancing, location, addition, and requirements of resources based on culture and history. However remember this is a video game, so it has been balanced with that in mind. I didn't want to go overboard and have everything be required at all times. Obviously there is more wood than just the timber we find right? I feel that the resources included are the best of the best if it were. I just couldn't stand in vanilla that I never even cared what resources a faction had. Never bothered too look. In Shogun 2 it mattered... and now here, it matters even more. Another side goal was to make the faction unique buildings more desirable... now they are, and they are harder to acquire.

Included in this mod is a Campaign map edit which depicts all of the Wonders of the World currently in the game. This occurs when you hit tab or in the diplomacy screen. Similar to how Shogun 2 showed you region specialties. Examples are below.

Download: (MOD Format)
    Mod
    Resource/Wonder Map

Changelog:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

V1.0 Release 10/24/13
    V1.1 Fixed Ports 10/26/13
    V1.11 Minor Resource Balancing 10/29/13
    V1.12 Minor Resource Balancing 10/31/13
    V1.13 Tooltip updates. Startpos update to be sure after recent CA minor patch. 10/31/13
    V1.2 11/6/13
    Copper Resource nodes added throughout campaign map.
    Rebalancing of resource gating.
    Purple dye VANILLA bug fix. (Purple dye was missing junction entries/UI text from CA. Was never able to be produced in vanilla but was meant to be)
    Fish removed from Ports and added to Fishing cities. Added MANY fish nodes throughout the campaign map on coastal minors. There were far too few in vanilla.
    V1.3 11/9/13
    Removed some resource locations for balancing.
    Add my Wonders of the World Overlay project!
    V1.31 11/14/13
    Compatibility for Beta Patch 7. Started to make leather a little more important in the grand scheme of things.
    V1.33
    Updated for Patch 7
    Added a missing resource needed icon
    Cleaned up database entries
    V2.0 11/29/13
    Major Update.
    Salt, Warhorse, Slaves(New), and Copper all added as completely new building chains.
    Warhorse Breeder & Storage Buildings for all factions. (City Centres) (Barbs had their base storage buildings edited to coincide.) Old Slave City Centres edited for same supply method.
    New/Redone Icons.
    Rebalance
    V2.1 11/30/13
    Hotifx for tech redundancy. Was not game breaking. Update at your leisure.
    V2.2 12/1/13
    Eastern Minor Horse Bug Fix.(Thx Dresden for finding it)
    V2.3 12/7/13
    AI should make better use of new building chains now.
    V2.4 12/10/13
    Further tweaking to AI use of supply train feature. New Warhorse agricultural building chain added for all factions. This mainly added to help progress the Warhorse resource supply line. AI makes good use of it. It works like the other lines, it requires you have the resource Warhorse, and then upon construction it produces '1' unit of warhorse. Not enough for profit, but enough to progress the chain throughout the world. I'm monitoring salt/grain/slaves. Will probably end up creating new trading ports for these eventually. (will operate in same way)
    12/18/13
    Updated for Patch 8 compatibility.

StartPos Changes:
    Resource nodes added throughout the campaign map in strategic locations.
    2 Turns per year(only for longer living Gens)

StartPos Change Notes (for modders):

-2 tpy

-Lilybaeum Region# 67 Added Iron rom_magna_graecia_lilybaion rom_carthage

-Cenabum Region# 150 Added Lead rom_celtica_lutetia rom_carnutes

-Aktau Region# 26 Added Grain rom_scythia_usturt rom_massagetae

-Segestica Region# 79 Added Timber rom_pannonia_pannonia_superior rom_breuci

-Gazaca Region# 137 Added Lead rom_media_magna_atropatene rom_media_atropatene

-Mons Regius Region# 163 Added Fish rom_sarmatia_aestia rom_aestii

-Alabu Region# 4 Added Fish rom_suebia_cimbria rom_cimbri

-Flevum Region# 70 Added Copper rom_magna_germania_frisia rom_frisii

-Iska Region# 34 Added Fish rom_britannia_dumnonia rom_dumnonii

-Brigantium Region# 32 Added Fish rom_tarraconensis_callaecia rom_galleaci

-Numantia Region# 87 Added Copper rom_cartaginensis_celtiberia rom_arevaci

-Epidamnos Region# 119 Added Copper rom_illyria_illyria rom_ardiaei

-Thapsus Region# 128 Added Fish rom_africa_byzacium rom_libya

-Tanais Region# 78 Added Copper rom_bosporus_maeotia rom_cimmeria

-Phrada Region# 45 Added Copper rom_aria_drangiana rom_sagartia

-Charmuthas Region# 144 Added Fish rom_nabataea_havilah rom_nabatea

-Hierapythna Region# 125 Added Fish rom_hellas_creta rom_knossos

-Trapezos Region# 122 Added Fish rom_bithynia_et_pontus_riza rom_trapezos

-Ariminum Region# 165 Added Salt rom_italia_picenum rom_etruscan

-Myos Hormos Region# 129 Added Salt rom_aegyptos_ta_abt rom_ptolemaics

-Lemonum Region# 33 Added Warhorse rom_aquitania_pictavis rom_pictones

-Amul Region# 57 Added Warhorse rom_chorasmia_transcaspia rom_dahae

-Odessos Region# 53 Added Slaves rom_thracia_moesia rom_odryssia

-Gor Region# 44 Added Slaves rom_persis_Ilyan rom_persia

FULL LIST OF RESOURCES NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRODUCTION AND TRADE:
    Vast difference from Vanilla.

KEEP IN MIND. BEFORE YOU ASK, I BELIEVE IN RESOURCES HAVING A POINT. I'VE HAD MANY REQUESTS FOR BUILDINGS THAT YOU BUILD, WHEREVER YOU WANT, TO MAKE A CERTAIN RESOURCE. I ASK, WHAT IS THE POINT THEN? I HAVE SOME BUILDINGS THAT BUILD SPECIFIC THINGS AT YOUR DESCRETION, BUT THERE IS DESIGN AND INTENT BEHIND THEM. EXPLAINED BELOW.

ICON AND PHOTO EXAMPLES:

BUILDING EFFECTS EXAMPLE PICS:

Production Details:

-All resources are produced via campaign resource nodes. As in Vanilla. I have spent a lot of time balancing them out throughout the campaign map; as well as play testing all cultures for validity. The goal here was NOT TO HINDER the already struggling AI.

2 City Centre Building Chains added(Yellow Icons, can only be built in capitols) . Warhorse chain, Storage Chain. The warhorse/Storage chain, each tier, requires that you ALREADY have the Warhorse/Salt/Grain resource in order for it to be constructed. However, once constructed it will produce 1-8 Warhorse/Salt/Grain itself. Enough to then OFFER it for trade. (since you can't offer things for trade that you import only) Not enough to get a big profit.

This design intent is to create a SANDBOX supply chain. It's quite interesting to see how these form throughout a campaign. The main reason for this is because Warhorse and Salt Resource are rare. Only 2 locations each throughout the whole Campaign map, placed based on historical data. Grain has been tied into the Storage Chain as well. (1 Example of Salt location, is off the coast of the Adriatic on Italian Peninsula) You might just see that famous salt supply column from the Adriatic heading north. However it might head south. Its a sandbox after all... and the AI does random stuff.

Slaves work in the same way as above. However the existing Slave City Centre chains have been edited to function like the above centres.
    2 Slave Cities are currently present in the game.

The New Slave, Warhorse, and Salt minor cities now specialize in what you would think they do. These are GREAT assets to hold.
    The New Storage, Warhorse City Centres specialize in what you would think they do. Examples Pics listed below.

Building Changes:

-All tier 5(faction unique) special buildings. Cost Increased. The effects of these buildings have been buffed.. some significantly.
    -Barbarian Storage & all faction Slave Trader buildings to be in line with description above.

Resource Requirements:
    Many buildings, equipment, and training have been gated via resources. The design intent is to gate off units or excessive income. You may find that some chains don't have a resource requirement until Tier 4, where some might have a requirement at Tier 2. It all depends on the units available. This was also implemented in a way to NOT hinder the AI.

Resource location and wonder map:
    (my additions added in black plain text) Thank you CanOmer for original map!

Wonders of the World Examples Here!

Want it to work with AFP mod? Check page 7, Rhinoinsomniac explains the process.
    OLD VERSION OF MOD. FOR SAVE GAME COMPATIBILITY HERE! - V1.33

Suggested mods to go with this for a more immersive total war experience:
    Hellbent's TTT
    BullGod's Icons

Thank you CanOmer for original Resource map
    Thank you Dainu for PFM
    Thank you crzyndm for help with building chains.
    Anyone want to include this mod in one of their compilations or overhauls. Just supply credit please. All Startpos changes documented above to make it easier.
    Last edited by Xil0; December 20, 2013 at 02:48 AM.

Ziem's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Meaningful Resources

Let me be the first one to + rep you on this great mod. Economic warfare now becomes much more interesting! Keep up the good work!

Z.

Hellbent's Avatar Semisalis

Looks interesting!

I really like your idea about tying certain buildings to resources.

Perhaps do the same for top-tier units?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellbent View Post
    Looks interesting!

I really like your idea about tying certain buildings to resources.

Perhaps do the same for top-tier units?
    Was looking into it... this sort of does this. My thought process revolved around gating the top units via the building requirements. I'm sure I will change things as it progresses. I was 3/4 of the way in adding horse/copper resource buildings but the campaign map is crowded as it is with resources. BTW Hellbent finally decided to try your mod. Hard to go back to vanilla.

Wow. There were resources on the campaign map before? I must try this if I ever start new campaign.

Under the Patronage of: Ishan

Worth starting over with this mod on ! Great work !

really great work, reminds me of europa universalis : rome's system, this was something i was planning on doing once i got done with RRR, awesome to see it already done!

with buildings generating resources though, how do you stop this system becoming irrelevant in late game, when the player is likely to have the buildings to produce everything everywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Aodh Mor View Post
    really great work, reminds me of europa universalis : rome's system, this was something i was planning on doing once i got done with RRR, awesome to see it already done!

with buildings generating resources though, how do you stop this system becoming irrelevant in late game, when the player is likely to have the buildings to produce everything everywhere?
    You know I thought about the same thing. That is why I tried to keep it to a minimum with that. In the end a copper node and perhaps warhorse nodes might make it in... well see. Right now Im enjoying a playthrough with this, some minor balancing fixes, and Bullgod icons.

I'd like to report/ask a minor issue. I cant seem to produce fish from the fishing ports. After a while i saw rather than fishing ports fishing settlements produce the fish resource. Was this intentional? I dont have any mod making changes to the building_effects_junctions table. (Other resources seem to look working btw).

Nothing game breaking, but i'd like to fix this if i can.

Edit: Saw through pfm that it was assigned to only barbarian factions' ports. Other cultures seem to be able produce fish through fishing cities. Just pointing out to ya . Enjoying your beautiful mod right now.

Quote Originally Posted by maifailun View Post
    I'd like to report/ask a minor issue. I cant seem to produce fish from the fishing ports. After a while i saw rather than fishing ports fishing settlements produce the fish resource. Was this intentional? I dont have any mod making changes to the building_effects_junctions table. (Other resources seem to look working btw).

Nothing game breaking, but i'd like to fix this if i can.

Edit: Saw through pfm that it was assigned to only barbarian factions' ports. Other cultures seem to be able produce fish through fishing cities. Just pointing out to ya . Enjoying your beautiful mod right now.
    Thank you! My last play was with a barb faction so I will fix this asap! Later today even.

This mod is one of the best mods out there. It adds a lot to the game without messing other things up. Well done mate.

Just an update on what Im working on. In the process (these past few days) working on finishing up with an experimental version Im working with. Having copper via ports really really bothered me. So Im adding new copper resource nodes throughout the campaign map. (Tedious but will be worth it) and adding the new building levels/icons as well.

Im *thinking* about adding warhorses as a requirement for building levels that give factions access to high tier cav... would anyone using this mod like to see warhorses ?

I found a handy Rome II map online showing all the resources on the map. I am adding (via plain text) over regions where I have added resources.. Ill probably upload that here as well for a reference for people.

Wow this looks great! thanks, will give it a try

Hellbent's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Xil0 View Post
    Just an update on what Im working on. In the process (these past few days) working on finishing up with an experimental version Im working with. Having copper via ports really really bothered me. So Im adding new copper resource nodes throughout the campaign map. (Tedious but will be worth it) and adding the new building levels/icons as well.

Im *thinking* about adding warhorses as a requirement for building levels that give factions access to high tier cav... would anyone using this mod like to see warhorses ?

I found a handy Rome II map online showing all the resources on the map. I am adding (via plain text) over regions where I have added resources.. Ill probably upload that here as well for a reference for people.
    Would this restrict recruitment of ALL high-tier cavalry units?

I feel like that would be too restrictive, if so. Maybe just a big bonus to cavalry stats instead?

(Or restricting only the very, very, very high-tier cavalry units).

Quote Originally Posted by Xil0 View Post

Will we have to start a new campaign for the copper nodes to appear? I think warhorses would be a good addition if horses specifically bred and trained for warfare was actually a largely traded and needed commodity during the period and I think it would be fine for it to restrict cavalry recruitment as long as it's a common enough resource on the map.

Jigggler's Avatar Libertus

Is this mod compatible with Helbent/Dresden mods and Radious mod?

Quote Originally Posted by La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham View Post
    How about salt as a valuable commodity old chap...need I explain the importance sir?
    Actually, yeah, that's a good idea, something that I feel is much more needed than warhorses. Don't know why that hasn't occurred to anyone until now...

Quote Originally Posted by Hellbent View Post
    Would this restrict recruitment of ALL high-tier cavalry units?

I feel like that would be too restrictive, if so. Maybe just a big bonus to cavalry stats instead?

(Or restricting only the very, very, very high-tier cavalry units).
    I think this would be okay, as long as war horses are quite common. Like say, 1 in the Italian Peninsula level of rarity

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast