Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: RS2's Future and Mod Ideas:

Icon1 Re: RS2's Future and Mod Ideas:

bumped
    Last edited by stackero; November 28, 2013 at 03:21 AM.
    Need your Rome itch scratched. Head for Total War: eras Forum. Your Empire Beckons.
    RS2,EB1,RTR,SPQR,Diadochi,RTH,Troy,IBFD,Hegemonia City States,77BC FRRE,more.
    EB2 needs modders. click The EBII Recruitment thread, mod Medieval 2 for ancient eras.
    (Now a community service announcement) Feel you're being cheated and deceived by bad game releases? Let us agree, no preorders from any company known to release incomplete games. Wait for the game to come out to decide. This will eventually cut down on bad releases and reduce forums that pit fellow gamers against one another.

Tiro

Default Re: RS2's Future and Mod Ideas:

Maybe it's possible to make script to slow down the development of border settlements? For example to have lesser trade, lower tax income, pop growth and happiness level? You know, it's border regions out there – barbarians come and lay sieges, raid villages. One would prefer to choose safer life somewhere deep in the country among the locals.

Also I ran into idea to slow and maybe even penalise the development of conquered regions – to make them more inferior than your hometowns.

Also I would like to see tribute (tax) buildings (those with coin symbols) with each new level to impose even bigger happiness penalties. As far as I understand each level means increased tax collection organization: yes, I should collect more taxes, but O should not see local getting happier and becoming more easier at giving away their money.

„There can be greater mods than Roma Surrectum 2, but simply there are none!“, Zydrius

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Zydrius View Post
    Maybe it's possible to make script to slow down the development of border settlements? For example to have lesser trade, lower tax income, pop growth and happiness level? You know, it's border regions out there – barbarians come and lay sieges, raid villages. One would prefer to choose safer life somewhere deep in the country among the locals.

Also I ran into idea to slow and maybe even penalise the development of conquered regions – to make them more inferior than your hometowns.

Also I would like to see tribute (tax) buildings (those with coin symbols) with each new level to impose even bigger happiness penalties. As far as I understand each level means increased tax collection organization: yes, I should collect more taxes, but O should not see local getting happier and becoming more easier at giving away their money.
    I like your first idea, don't know if it can be implemented but it's a neat idea. :

As for this: "slow and maybe even penalise the development of conquered regions – to make them more inferior than your hometowns."
    Most regions that you conquer already take years until they can be used to recruit Roman soldiers. Let's see, you spend:
    4 turns for Roman Oppidum 1
    6 turns for " " 2
    8 turns for " " 3

Then you need citizenship, (which also requires a forum doesn't it?) so you spend 2 turns on that and then you spend another 4 turns on a Campus Martius.

Assuming smiths haven't been built you spend I think 11 turns building them up to a large foundry (which is standard for all armies). If the region hasn't an iron resource you need to spend five turns to get a weapons import built.

From scratch you need 40 turns to do all of this, 20 years in game. Minimum amount of time required is 24 turns or 12 years.

This is all assuming you don't need to spend time on tribal justices, temples or wells to keep the public in order. I had Carthago Nova for much longer than 40 turns and still couldn't recruit from there because I had plenty of other stuff I needed to build.

In conclusion, no need to increase the amount of time it takes to build up a new city.
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

(Pardon my bump.)
    Let me throw a few things out for everybody to weigh in on. Possible to do or not. Or just not worth it.

1- 1st level ramp walls like in Diadochi, good, bad, indifferent not worth the trouble? pics in their forum. May up the fun factor of besieging or defending.

2- Delayed command orders in combat. As I remember, I'm sure years back someone tried this. Meaning your troops depending on their proximity to the general and how many orders they'd already received would hesitate for a few more seconds before obeying an order especially barbarian troops. I don't think it went over well but could be revisited , maybe made an option if possible. For the command and control buffs out there.

3- Is it possible to designate at least a few trade spots at sea. Whoever, controls that zone big + in trade. Place a tower or flag for a marker. It would liven up the usually mundane naval side of things. Fighting over trade, but even if possible ,I suspect it would only help the player, the Ai likely couldn't compete unless that program that allows rebel/ships to be drawn to a point or tower. Yeah, really starting to talk over my head here.

Edit: But I never let that stop me before.

4-Sieges/Ambush idea. Example: you're successfully storming a city to take the center flag or clearing out a unit in your way. Suddenly, out of nowhere it seems, one or two enemy units, appears in ambush style to attack your closes units.
    Basically, units remaining invisible until you're attacked or you bump into them.

I assume a unit could be given the hidden ability even in an open space until a unit gets close enough to spring an ambush (or the flag is in danger). Closer than on the battlefield, Simulating them hiding in buildings or alley ways. Their quality and number would depend on the size of the city and if there's a besieged leader in the city.

If possible, might really spice up the sieges. In my opinion. But, might be one those ideas that looks good on paper until you try it and find out different.

Got a few more ,but I'll wait until we debunk this stuff fully before posting them.
    Last edited by stackero; November 28, 2013 at 07:12 AM.
    Need your Rome itch scratched. Head for Total War: eras Forum. Your Empire Beckons.
    EB2 needs modders. click The EBII Recruitment thread, mod Medieval 2 for ancient eras.
    (Now a community service announcement) Feel you're being cheated and deceived by bad game releases? Let us agree, no preorders from any company known to release incomplete games. Wait for the game to come out to decide. This will eventually cut down on bad releases and reduce forums that pit fellow gamers against one another.

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Zydrius View Post

As someone had already replied: you are already trying to hold on to these regions, as they're not yet 'integrated' into your Empire. It's not a bad idea to maybe penalize the richest regions a little ... worth looking into that, but I would rather expand the whole 'Regional determination' tree ... will have to debate on that with dvk.

The way it is now (and it was debated on) is that the first level gives you an amount of taxes and penalizes you with the most PO hit. All the next lvls give you less penalties on PO, and stack the tax income bonuses. It is supposed to represent the improvement of the tax system in the region, as the administrative system and your control/integration of the region improves in time ...

Quote Originally Posted by stackero View Post
    (Pardon my bump.)
    Let me throw a few things out for everybody to weigh in on. Possible to do or not. Or just not worth it.

1- 1st level ramp walls like in Diadochi, good, bad, indifferent not worth the trouble? pics in their forum. May up the fun factor of besieging or defending.

2- Delayed command orders in combat. As I remember, I'm sure years back someone tried this. Meaning your troops depending on their proximity to the general and how many orders they'd already received would hesitate for a few more seconds before obeying an order especially barbarian troops. I don't think it went over well but could be revisited , maybe made an option if possible. For the command and control buffs out there.

3- Is it possible to designate at least a few trade spots at sea. Whoever, controls that zone big + in trade. Place a tower or flag for a marker. It would liven up the usually mundane naval side of things. Fighting over trade, but even if possible ,I suspect it would only help the player, the Ai likely couldn't compete unless that program that allows rebel/ships to be drawn to a point or tower. Yeah, really starting to talk over my head here.

Edit: But I never let that stop me before.

4-Sieges/Ambush idea. Example: you're successfully storming a city to take the center flag or clearing out a unit in your way. Suddenly, out of nowhere it seems, one or two enemy units, appears in ambush style to attack your closes units.
    Basically, units remaining invisible until you're attacked or you bump into them.

I assume a unit could be given the hidden ability even in an open space until a unit gets close enough to spring an ambush (or the flag is in danger). Closer than on the battlefield, Simulating them hiding in buildings or alley ways. Their quality and number would depend on the size of the city and if there's a besieged leader in the city.

If possible, might really spice up the sieges. In my opinion. But, might be one those ideas that looks good on paper until you try it and find out different.

Got a few more ,but I'll wait until we debunk this stuff fully before posting them.
    Some very interesting ideas! Apart from the ambushing units in cities, I don't think most of it can't be done ... you'll have to wait and see what dvk can make out of this, but I like them.

The DTW walls are a must! I have them in my MM Elite mod, they are tricky to add in depending on how you want to use them. For me, I have the walls completely replace the 2nd tier wooden walls. It definitely makes the sieges of large towns better.

Here is my idea.

How about some more swap factions? Numidia, Iceni, Nabataea and Luistani come to mind. Numidia would be good because since the mod begins in the 2nd Punic War, Numidia was very relevant.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Where did you get the walls? Could you show a few pics of them?

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

He's a very cool guy, released them way back just scroll down and need to credit him of course.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?422023-DTW-Walls-Source-MAX-files

(screen shot from my version of CATW)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by Resef View Post
    He's a very cool guy, released them way back just scroll down and need to credit him of course.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?422023-DTW-Walls-Source-MAX-files

(screen shot from my version of CATW)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

As I remember, its been a while, the DTW walls made it alot more fun defending, but if you're the attacker, it gets a bit more difficult and interesting.

How about the Aedui for a swap faction or thracians or any sort of celtic tribes ?

I wanted also propose another idea. I sometimes feel that RS 2 is more siege oriented campaign and sometimes I do feel tired of sieges all the time. I do not like auto-resolve battles. Can it be for example your invading Gaul on your way to Massalia. You encounter an army on the way to Massalia but not near the city and you attack it. How about the garrison is made to come out to help the army outside so that if you win the battle you just enter the city because it will left defensless. It could reduce from sieging all the time .

The thing is I am fed up with attacking cities where only three units and made to storm the wall for those three units.
    Last edited by Davidos; December 02, 2013 at 07:42 AM.
    • “A reflective, contented mind is the best possession.” ...
    • “With an open mind, seek and listen to all the highest ideals. ...
    • “Turn yourself not away from three best things: Good Thought, Good Word, and Good Deed.” ...
    • “Do not hold grain waiting for higher prices when people are hungry.”

All by Zoroaster.

vikior's Avatar Semisalis

I love the possibility of having a later campaign, but my suggestion is to stay away from the "Augustan" period. We can get there ourselves. A "Year of the Four" or "Year of the Five" emperors campaign would be better, in my humble opinion of course. A good starting date would be the beginning of the reign of Trajan or Marcus Aurelius where the empire can be divided into Western (Marcus Aurelius) and Eastern (Lucius Verus). You would gain more faction slots by removing Carthage, The Greeks etc.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Those wooden walls are cool! Pls add them.

Hanti's Avatar Semisalis

Just a suggestion for 2.7. Maybe some option for 4TPY (three summer, one winter turn, with the winter turn allowing only 1/2 movement of armies)?

Additional option: 3 summers, 1 winter, No Garrison Script
    Last edited by Hanti; December 03, 2013 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanti View Post
    Just a suggestion for 2.7. Maybe some option for 4TPY (three summer, one winter turn, with the winter turn allowing only 1/2 movement of armies)?

Additional option: 3 summers, 1 winter, No Garrison Script

check this thread in the submods

[RS 2.5] Four turns per year - New Version 1.2

A RS2.6 4tpy 1 turn only, has been posted. I loaded it, played it awhile, but it hasn't been fully tested. If you use it, give feedback to 'the man, the myth, the legend' in that thread.

onmy6's Avatar Miles

I'm curious, if you made the little island up in Scandinavia, where the roman rebels (if playing as Rome) have their base was made able to land troops and conquer would this stop the rebellion and/or just turn the rome rebels into slave or free peoples or would I just create a CTD environment

I remember Tedric said you can't conquer this island anymore. Makes sense... When you play as the Romans and conquer it, the game would crash in the earlier versions...

onmy6's Avatar Miles

Oh Ok, thanks Darth for that, makes sense, cheer's

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

4-seasons (3 summers) per year, as a standard (or alternative).

An alternative EDU with high cavalry prices, to the same scale as infantry prices. (even if the A.I. will stop recruiting them)

Just my ideas

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

I prefer 2 TPY personally. Tried four turns, got bored of it pretty quick.

Alternative cav costs would have my support.
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by High Fist View Post
    I prefer 2 TPY personally. Tried four turns, got bored of it pretty quick.
    What did bore you? I only want 4 turns to be able to have my favourite generals for a longer time and watch their progress (or their growing, unholy lust)

Quote Originally Posted by High Fist View Post
    Alternative cav costs would have my support.
    It's my deepest wish, since i joined TWC.