Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: RS2's Future and Mod Ideas:

Icon3 Re: RS2's Future and Mod Ideas:

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    I have put the issue of roads on my list, as it seems logical that at least dirt roads would've been in existence. And also, because the AI does, for some unknown reason, decline to build them. As for Legion recruitment as in Res Gestae.....hmmm, it is a much bigger issue in RS2 in terms of the scope of the scripting, with 28 Legions, and scads of places where they could be recruited. I think it would be a bit much.

But keep the ideas and thoughts flowing. I am constantly looking for good ones, and I have been brainstorming about diplomacy for a long time. I want to make it better....at least in terms of how it works in RTW, even if you can't 'see' what's happening. For example, if you make an alliance with a faction, I would like to create some kind of script that forces that alliance to stick for say, ten years or something....or at least five. Likewise, I'd like to find a way to prevent the AI from asking for ceasefires just so they can create troops, or get money and attack you again in the next turn or two. Again, a way to force a ceasefire to stick for while, rather than use it as a delaying tactic. Or, a punishment for breaking one.
    I like the sound of that. To effect the diplomacy side of the game in such a way would be awesome and add a new element of deeper play.

Something else comes to mind. Might there be a way to use the spy/dipl boxes to effect say, supply or some other use.

Example. A unit that would be a spy/dipl, change it to a supply train that when traveling with the army would supply that army for as long as it lasted. Using the age factor to effect the life of the supply unit, which would be short and unpredictable.

It won't effect the stacking level of the army, but I have no idea if a slot for spy/dipl can effect anything in any way when a unit stacks with an army. But if it could, there lies some interesting possibilities.If not, never mind.
    Need your Rome itch scratched. Head for Total War: eras Forum. Your Empire Beckons.
    RS2,EB1,RTR,SPQR,Diadochi,RTH,Troy,IBFD,Hegemonia City States,77BC FRRE,more.
    EB2 needs modders. click The EBII Recruitment thread, mod Medieval 2 for ancient eras.
    (Now a community service announcement) Feel you're being cheated and deceived by bad game releases? Let us agree, no preorders from any company known to release incomplete games. Wait for the game to come out to decide. This will eventually cut down on bad releases and reduce forums that pit fellow gamers against one another.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Default Re: RS2's Future and Mod Ideas:

Regarding the Gallacei...the passes through the mountains near the coast were blocked to prevent them from too easily going into Gaul, which they did mercilessly before we blocked that pass. You think they beat up on Carthage, you should've seen what they would do with the Arverni! And it's not that there units are any 'better', it's just that they have a lot of gold and silver resources in Spain, and ie., a lot of money. But I think we did a better job controlling this in 2.6.

As for Carthage, I will most likely include some form of script that will help them against the Gallacei. Part of this is easy and makes sense....Carthage holds a certain number of regions that are pretty isolated with the exception of those in Spain. If they lose all their possessions in Spain, it will be time to start spawning armies for them to defend what they have left, and even help take them back. I have already tested this, and it works very nicely to stop the Gallacei incursion in its tracks. It also makes it FAR more interesting going down there (as Rome, or anyone, for that matter) to attack their cities. They'll hit you hard for your trouble, which is what I expect and want from them.

@stackero: Unfortunately, there is just nothing....literally nothing that you can do to a spy, assassin or diplomat to make them do anything other that what CA wrote for them. And even with forced diplomacy, you can acquire the agreement you want, but it just doesn't stick because the next turn is a whole new world to the AI. You can't even give an 'attribute' to an agent, like command or druid or something that would have any way of affecting troops. The only thing you can do is give them traits.....which are largely meaningless.

So I'm afraid the only solution would be some kind of scripting that would simply hold the AI in check for a while...set it free at some point, and then reset and repeat. I'm hoping there is at least some way to do this.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

SD_Man's Avatar Semisalis

Perhaps the Gallaeci's big budget can be handicapped by restricting mines below a certain population (or building), maybe making rebels in the Gallic region more aggressive if the Arverni try to take advantage. Thus making the blocked passes irrevalent, and maybe the Carthage problem?
    Last edited by SD_Man; November 09, 2013 at 08:28 AM.

Legion in 'one turn' - get 10 settlements to build one cohort each - combine and 'presto' you have a legion! That's how it's done. It's a bit more tricky when it comes to the Imperial Legions, but that's a limitation that can only be got round in non-ideal ways....

AI building more roads - did happen in one of the financial tweaks and will occur if the Trade bonuses are increased once more vis a vis the Tax buildings bonii. However, some of that was reversed in Tone's last tweaks, because it too can result in an over-abundance of money towards the end. If the AI is re-encouraged to build more roads, then the careful balancing act that now exists will be undone a fair amount.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Patrician

Very true....I forgot that roads actually add instant money.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn;t find it on the forum but would there be a benefit to switch from the RTW engine to ME2TW's or is that simply not worth doing ?

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by TTRouble View Post
    I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn;t find it on the forum but would there be a benefit to switch from the RTW engine to ME2TW's or is that simply not worth doing ?
    IIRC, it's simply not worth doing. Had a quick galnce through some threads and can't find where dvk said this. Back me up someone!
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by TTRouble View Post
    We considered this at one point, but it presented a problem because a lot of work was already done on unit models, and would've required redoing a lot of them. The benefit of having multiple shield and tunic men in units was tempting, but just not worth all the work required. The additional 'benefit' of more factions was negated by the way we built RS2.....individual campaigns modfoldered to RS2 itself. So we really didn't need more faction slots, unless you wanted to play against a certain faction that was being replaced...like Sparta. Again, a lot of work for little gain.

As far as graphics, well, we ripped many secrets from M2TW anyway regarding the environment, and in keeping RTW we retained the correct buildings for this era. At the time we were thinking about M2TW, no one really knew if M2TW buildings could be replaced, or Roman era ones added. As it turns out, they could...but too late for us.

M2TW is also basically a 'refined RTW' engine....it still has a lot of RTW files in it that weren't removed (and aren't even used). So again, switching to it would just be too much work for a limited gain.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Regarding M2:TW, I remember that there were some issue with infantry taking a long time to fire a javelin against the enemy. By the way, I was thinking whether the campaign map camera can move and turn around like the recent total games. Can that be done?
    • “A reflective, contented mind is the best possession.” ...
    • “With an open mind, seek and listen to all the highest ideals. ...
    • “Turn yourself not away from three best things: Good Thought, Good Word, and Good Deed.” ...
    • “Do not hold grain waiting for higher prices when people are hungry.”

All by Zoroaster.

Patrician

I have been looking for ways, but so far have not found one.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Icon1 Re: RS2's Future and Mod Ideas:

Off topic a bit I know, but talking about M2:TW, I've played many great M2 mods but there something that i thought strange about the battles.

I enjoyed the M2 battles but the units, though you could zoom up close to the action, if you pull back just a little too much they become ant like quickly. Unlike Rome, which seemed to me you could pull back a good bit still watching the action before the ant effect set in.

At first I laid this off to me just being bias, for Rome is my first love. M2 a close 2nd, But I noticed this same effect in Rome2, except worst. Yes, you can zoom up close to the action but pull back just a bit and you got ant army even quicker seems to me.

Are my eyes going bad are is there some kind of graphical polygon design thing going on?
    Anybody else notice this.

Is my perception off, maybe I need glasses? Or is this already common knowledge, about the battles I mean?
    Anyone?
    Need your Rome itch scratched. Head for Total War: eras Forum. Your Empire Beckons.
    EB2 needs modders. click The EBII Recruitment thread, mod Medieval 2 for ancient eras.
    (Now a community service announcement) Feel you're being cheated and deceived by bad game releases? Let us agree, no preorders from any company known to release incomplete games. Wait for the game to come out to decide. This will eventually cut down on bad releases and reduce forums that pit fellow gamers against one another.

It's called sprites. 2-d images that kick in after certain distance to save resources. There's also lods (Auto lower 3d poly count) which explains the funny Rome 2 ghoul faces.

You can negate it in m2tw by setting unit detail to highest so only lods work not the sprites. Same as Rome 1.

Patrician

And this is what he is talking about:

texture slave, data/models_unit/textures/elephants/camel_numidia_wb.tga
    texture merc, data/models_unit/textures/elephants/camel_mercenary_wb.tga
    model_flexi data/models_unit/mount_camel_high.cas, 15
    model_flexi data/models_unit/mount_camel_med.cas, 30
    model_flexi data/models_unit/mount_camel_low.cas, 60
    model_flexi data/models_unit/mount_camel_lowest.cas, max
    model_sprite 100.0, data/sprites/rs/camel_sprite.spr
    model_sprite slave, 100.0, data/sprites/rs/carthage_camel_sprite.spr

The number after each .cas file indicates the range at which that model begins to apply...except .max...which is at all ranges beyond 60 meters in this example. Sprites will kick in as well. RS2 uses ALL 'high.cas' files...there are no lower resolution models, which is why RS2 can be a bit taxing on older PC's. Sprites generally kick in at 40-50 meters in RS2.

My guess is that M2TW uses a lower quality model set for units, and the sprites may not be as good. Not sure how that works.
    As far as I can tell, Rome2 uses one model with different textures qualities based on a number of gloss and mapping textures. I don't know if there are even any sprites at all. Haven't found any so far.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Icon1 Re: RS2's Future and Mod Ideas:

Ah,I knew it. Thanks for the replies people. No perception problem and no glasses then, good.

I had a wee play with ME2TW javelin units and there is a difference compared to RTW. From what I've seen so far a javelin armed units will not throw their javelin at the same time but instead its slightly staggered and random in which unit member is actively using the weapon. Its also meant that the units don't exhaust their entire supply of missiles as quickly as they may do in RTW so would that be an issue ?

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

In M2 they throw their javelins as skirmishers would - like spastics. Fine for skirmishers, but I would imagine that legionnaires would throw them in organised volleys where (I imagine) they would be more effective.
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

SD_Man's Avatar Semisalis

Also, the M2 engine doesnt allow for Testudo. Argh!!! This is honestly like my biggest gripe besides the ugly overexposed graphics, it burns my eyes!!!

Patrician

I am going to explore M2TW animations for the simple reason that a few of them would be handy for our cavalry units. Rome Medieval uses them in RTW, and DBM (a Roman era mod) uses them in M2TW. There may be some advantages.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

onmy6's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    I am going to explore M2TW animations for the simple reason that a few of them would be handy for our cavalry units. Rome Medieval uses them in RTW, and DBM (a Roman era mod) uses them in M2TW. There may be some advantages.
    Ah Rome Medieval that brings back some good memories I was Involved in helping build that back in 2008 with Lord of the Knights and he's still going. Great mod

Have you guys ever played Lord of the Realm III? I remember diplomacy in that game being interesting. Unfortunately I lost the disk.
    "Aristotle dines when it seems good to King Philip, but Diogenes when he himself pleases."