Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 173233343536373839404142434445464748 LastLast

Thread: RS2's Future and Mod Ideas:

Default Re: RS2's Future and Mod Ideas:

Quote Originally Posted by neep View Post
    Would this also improve how the AI brings these units onto the field of battle ?
    I've experienced several battles where the framerate was really low since the CPU was spending massive amounts of effort trying to bring artillery units into play.
    (It was failing because the region where the AI units appeared on the battlefield was heavily wooded and so the artillery was getting stuck. Seems that it wasn't smart enough to know to just give up but just kept repeating the attempt to move the artillery forward.)

I guess it depends on what happens when a single unit finds itself hung up in a wooded area with no apparent path to freedom. Even one unit could be stuck if it was placed within a copse or heavily wooded region.
    Sadly it won't, it doesn't matter if it is one siege engine, or three or even none (sometimes normal units just get stuck on a rock outside the map).

But in terms of handling, if you've used larger siege engine units (like 5... 7 engines) it is ridiculously annoying. Two or three is ok, but still very bothersome as just about anything will make the little soldiers and engines get confused.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Hey, DVK, sad to hear about the arthritis. Hope you will get well soon. We, the loyal fans can always wait a bit more. No big deal for us.

hrolphi's Avatar Libertus

Oh man. All the best from me.

I wish you a fast recovery, dvk.

Also, despite your problems, is there any possibility of you telling me when the new patch is coming (with the new cities and ideas you plan to include)? I mean, how many months will it take? Or years?

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Thanks guys....and as to when the patch will come....sorry, not a clue. Guess it depends on when I can get all the stuff accomplished I want to. After the new year I will start getting back into this again, and we'll see how things go.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Take care DVK, I know I'm new to these forums but I've had RSII for awhile now and it's been great.
    By the way, I live just across the border from you
    Also, quick question, is the Ancillary mod for the Legion Commanders submod inputted in the 2.6 download? It doesn't seem to work

Quote Originally Posted by here4thehax View Post
    Also, quick question, is the Ancillary mod for the Legion Commanders submod inputted in the 2.6 download? It doesn't seem to work
    Yes it is and does, I promise. Modified, tested and done by myself and I can confirm it's there - and retested. There have been previous threads that cover in detail.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Can you please link me to said threads,
    I really want these and I've only seem to see it work with the Roman Rebels.
    Also, it seems the submod is discontinued as it's now incorporated into the mod itself so I've already tried looking there

Have you guys ever considered doing a patreon so we, the community, can help support you in this? The sheer amount of time and work you put into it, I think, deserves that type of thing--and seeing as it's not selling the game, you shouldn't have issues with CA.

to dvk

Hello! In the patch 2.6 the elephants are very weak as cataphracts well as forest elephants and Indian elephants. In the early patches the elephants and chariots were more strong and the cost were more expensive. I'd like to seen the elephants and chariots in the next patch more expensive and more strong if possible. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Plechen View Post
    to dvk

Hello! In the patch 2.6 the elephants are very weak as cataphracts well as forest elephants and Indian elephants. In the early patches the elephants and chariots were more strong and the cost were more expensive. I'd like to seen the elephants and chariots in the next patch more expensive and more strong if possible. Thank you.
    What? The elephants in 2.5 were almost impossible to defeat for the player and especially for the Ai! You could defeat an army with 3.000 soldiers with only 2 or 4 units of cataphract elephants! That's not realistic. You have to take care for your elephants that they don't get hit by missile fire or javelins, as they run amok more easily and that can be desastrous for the Ai AND for you. The same goes for chariots. The team oversaw their stats and corrected them in the 2.6 version and now it's fair for the Ai. They're still very strong, but you need to use them wisely, use their fear factor! Attack only with them to crush the enemie, when he's almost routing.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Bane1 View Post
    What? The elephants in 2.5 were almost impossible to defeat for the player and especially for the Ai! You could defeat an army with 3.000 soldiers with only 2 or 4 units of cataphract elephants! That's not realistic. You have to take care for your elephants that they don't get hit by missile fire or javelins, as they run amok more easily and that can be desastrous for the Ai AND for you. The same goes for chariots. The team oversaw their stats and corrected them in the 2.6 version and now it's fair for the Ai. They're still very strong, but you need to use them wisely, use their fear factor! Attack only with them to crush the enemie, when he's almost routing.
    Ok, but now in the patch 2.6 the elephants cannot to win three troop missile cataphracts. That's not realistic too. I'd like to see balanced elephants in the next patch. Not very strong and not very weak.
    However in the patch 2.5 I couldn't see that the elephants were invincible because they were dying as others. They were very strong but they were not invincible.

I'd be surprised if they make elephants much stronger than they are. However, you can customize units yourself pretty easily, without needing a whole new patch to do it. Go to export_descr_unit in the data folder for the type(s) of campaign you play. (Note that there are separate files for different campaigns: Play_Rome, Play_Rome_One_Turn, Play_Scythia, Play_One_Turn, etc.) That has all of the units. Before you make any changes, I'd recommend saving a backup somewhere else in case something goes terribly wrong in your editing process. Now find the different elephant units in that file. (Ctrl-F will make this easier and faster.) If you want to adjust their defensive stats, for example, you want to change the values in the line starting with "stat_pri_armour." If you just want to change a few units, this will not be hard or take very long at all. Personally I would avoid doing anything too drastic, but it's all up to you. There is a guide here which can help you understand how the stats work: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...lete-EDU-Guide

Elephants are not tanks; Chariots (goodness Exodus is out with more rubbish battle scenes!) are not tanks; Cataphracts are not tanks....

In fact, if you get right down to it (and I have an MSc that covers tank design) even tanks aren't 'tanks'.

A reasonable review of history will show that neither Elephants nor Chariots were super-weapons given their relatively minimal effective usage. It could also be argued that the ultimate evolution of the cataphract, the medieval plated knight on ultimately-bred large horses, also had a devastating counter re-Crecy......
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

For elephants, chariots in particular.

It sort of doesn't matter what stats you give them (I have seen some crazy ones) as they will die when hitting almost any unit that can "form phalanx" or has a weapon attribute "thrown".

The AI does not know this, and ironically the better stats you give them, the more it will think it can charge into phalanx or withstand thrown weapons... which it can't.

-----

I should note, the player can use elephants, chariots, archers, phalanx etc etc very well. The AI can only really use them in particular pre-defined ways which might be ok if it wasn't for the fact the player knows this and therefore can always have the perfect counter.

Or in fact, knows how to cause the AI to do something, and is ready to counter it even before the AI begins to do it.

I use slingers and phalanx (a lot, as you may know), but I tend not to use elephant or chariot, the cost is not worth it in the ways I build and use an army. But the game isn't too hard, and people do get use out of the elephants and so on.
    Last edited by Alavaria; January 11, 2015 at 03:28 PM.

This has probably been suggested before, but I would really love to see a 0-turn Galatia campaign. In general, an expansion of the swap factions. I think it could add a lot of spice. Who wouldn't love to play Kotais with all that "Iberian" cav in Asia Minor?

But sticking to the possible in short term, would it be a lot of work to create the Galatia 0-turn? Maybe something someone with a very BASIC knowledge of modding could pull off? I would be willing to put in the grind if it's realistic.
    Last edited by FeralBlueBird; January 14, 2015 at 03:37 AM.

Echbart's Avatar Decanus

Hey isnt Galatia as sap nations already 0 turn campaign....because i would like 1turn campaign for Bospor or Massalia....Thnks!

Is it possible to create a trait whom prevents generals to recruit more than 2-3 units? It would be great for 0 turn campaigns!

Quote Originally Posted by Skitoritto View Post
    Is it possible to create a trait whom prevents generals to recruit more than 2-3 units? It would be great for 0 turn campaigns!
    This doesn't seem to make a great deal of sense - unless you are trying to replicate the recruitment system in Rome 2.......

Nothing is stopping you from restricting your own recruiting. If you want, overall, less units recruited; then just play normal, regular, as RTW was designed - 1turn.

What I want is to limit the AI to recruit lets say 3-4 units, main reason behind that is that when I siege a settlement AI recruits a full stack of units, every single time. If that does not work then maybe create a hidden building whom in events of siege disables the recruitment of units? Could that be done in RTW's engine?