Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Installation of Candelarius' Mod

Default Problem with Installation of Candelarius' Mod

Sorry I know there is already a thread about this (no doubt) excellent mod, but I need help from the knowledgeable folks in here.

Candelaruis himself has tried to help me via PM, but it appears I am far too thick or stupid to understand what seems to be a few simple downloads and installs. Thanks for your help Canderlarius.

My problem is this : CTD after the opening cinematics on a RTRPE 1.7 beta, Candelaruis' Mod.

Here's what I have been doing :

1. Loaded brand new RTR Gold edition. This gives me RTW and BI on 1.5 and 1.6 respectively. No problem. Tried it and it works.
    1a. This installation opens in The Creative Assemby folder, not Activision. So I created an Activision and moved the installation into it. That way the 1.6/7 installs don't have to to repointed.
    2. Downloaded RTRPE 1.6. Installed into RTW folder.
    3. Downloaded RTRPE 1.7 patch. Installed into RTW folder.
    4. Downloaded the Candelarius Mod and copied the Data folder over same in the RTW folder.
    5. Created a new d/t icon from the BI.exe instal and adjusted by adding '-show_err - mod:' at the end of the target.

I then ran the game from this icon. The RTR Platinum screen came up, followed by the BI cinematics. Then CTD.

Can I have some help please gents ?
    Last edited by Pussywillow; September 21, 2006 at 05:38 PM. Reason: crap spelling

Default Re: Problem with Installation of Candelarius' Mod

Erm..... first time I see somebody trying to move the game after the mod instead the other way around.
    1a. This installation opens in The Creative Assemby folder, not Activision. So I created an Activision and moved the installation into it. That way the 1.6/7 installs don't have to to repointed.
    Don`t do this. Put it back. And try to make a backup of your game folder so you won`t have to reinstall if you mess something up. It`s described here among other things(how to make multiple installs):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60685

4. Downloaded the Candelarius Mod and copied the Data folder over same in the RTW folder.
    Did it asked you if you want to overwrite the data folder(the one that was already there)?

2. Downloaded RTRPE 1.6. Installed into RTW folder.
    3. Downloaded RTRPE 1.7 patch. Installed into RTW folder.
    Are you sure they went in the right place?
    Do you have the game installed in drive c: ?
    You didn`t say if you tried to play after installing RTRPE.
    See this part from my installation guide. Try to do the copy paste thing to be sure you placed the mod in the right place.
    double click the "RTR_Platinum" installer. It will try to install to this location: "C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War". If you have the game there that`s ok. If you have the game in another folder you can direct the install to that folder.
    NOTE: The Sega version of Rome Total War installs itself in a "The Creative Assembly" folder and not in an "Activision" one. So, if you have installed the Sega game in the default location, you need to redirect the mod(RTRPE) to that place. In example: "C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War".

Anyway to avoid complications you can install it in a new and empty folder so change the location to something like "C:\RTRPE" and then install it there. After that open this new folder and you should see a "Data" and a "Docs" folders and a few files. Select them all, right click on them, select copy and then go paste everything into the folder where you have the game installed(not the backup folder if you`ve made one). You should paste it all inside your "Rome - Total War" folder as it is important that the files from RTRPE(most importantly the "Data" folder) will overwrite those from your game. So you probably have a folder named "Activision" or "The Creative Assemby". Open it and you will see a "Rome - Total War" folder inside which there are many folders(among which a "Data" folder) and files. Paste the RTRPE files into this "Rome - Total War" folder. You will be asked if you want to overwrite the files and folder inside. Say yes.
    Last edited by florin80; September 21, 2006 at 06:16 PM.

Ok ok I admit it the creating of an Activision' folder wasn't the greatest idea ever had lol. Thanks Florin.

I was running out of ideas by the time I did that just to cut a few corners after multiple attempts to get this thing working.

I am going to try from scratch tomorow - the RTW Gold doesn't take half a s long as the original RTW Cd's as it's only one disk. I'll clean it all out and start again in the morning (it's 1.00am here).

No I didn't try RTRPE 1.7. I had it working under my old installation based on RTW and asumed it worked. I'll correct that tomorrow.

One thing though Florin, am I installing RTRPE 1.7 and the Cand Mod to the right place ?
    I put RTRPE 1.7 to the RTW folder and the Mod (pasted over the data folder) to the BI folder is that correct ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pussywillow
    One thing though Florin, am I installing RTRPE 1.7 and the Cand Mod to the right place ?
    I put RTRPE 1.7 to the RTW folder and the Mod (pasted over the data folder) to the BI folder is that correct ?
    No. You have to overwrite the data folder from inside your main "Rome - Total War" folder. Not the one from "Rome - Total War/BI". Do this with both RTRPE and Candelarius` mod. Maybe this was the problem if I understood you correctly.

BTW: very cute kitten.

Here is an illustration of where you need to copy the data folder from my mod:

Hope that helps.

Thanks! thats helped me out a hell of a lot too!!

Thanks to ARCHER29 for the amazing banners!! (I need to work out how to make it actually show the slideshow)

EB vs RTR!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LegionairosMatt
    Thanks! thats helped me out a hell of a lot too!!
    Are you being sarcastic or......? I think the picture is good, provided that it is folowed by detailed instructions. One thing Candelarius messed up with the picture is that you can`t tell what folder it is. The address bar is not visible in that pic. It sould have been.

Well I'm awfully sorry Florin and Candelarius, I am still struggling.

I did a fresh install of RTW/Bi. It was the RTR Gold version, giving me version 1.6 of BI and 1.5 of RTW.

I installed RTRPE 1.6 full into the RTW folder after pointing the installer to The Creative Assembly installation.

I then checked and it played fine.

I then installed 1.7 patch and it played fine........BUT it said 1.6 on the screen after the cimematics (which were the BI ones incidentally). I installed the 1.7 patch somewhere else, and copied and pasted the Data folder from there into the one shown by Candelarius.

I did the same thing with Candelaruis' Mod. It still says 1.6, and no sign of Britons or Galatians.

I modified the target on the Bi.exe icon with the -show_err - mod : after the 1.7 instal. I have been launching from here. As I said it gave me 1.6 Platinum.

What am I doing wrong guys ?

One more time this part:

Quote Originally Posted by Pussywillow
    No. You have to overwrite the data folder from inside your main "Rome - Total War" folder. Not the one from "Rome - Total War/BI". Do this with both RTRPE and Candelarius` mod. Maybe this was the problem if I understood you correctly.
    Did you installed RTRPE v1.7 beta and Candelarius` mod inside the "Rome - Total War" folder or in the "Rome - Total War/BI" ?

Not in the BI folder.

I MUST be putting it in the wrong place. I have a concern......you know that screen pic in windows explorer Can put further up this thread ? Well I can't get my installation folder list to look like his.

Can I have your e-mail please Florin ? I have made a screenshot of what mine looks like and with a stonking great big arrow where I am copying these files into. It's in Excel , can I send you the file to look at ?

A pic would help probable. To take it do this:
    1. Hit Print Screen key on your keyboard to capture the image into memory.
    2. Open any graphics program such as MSPaint, Infranview, ACDSEE, or Photoshop, etc.
    3. Hit Ctrl-V
    4. Save the image as .jpg

Then you need to upload it on imageshack. Like this:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...89&postcount=6
    We`ll be able to see it and maybe we can figure things out.

Will this do ? I have boxed where i am putting the RTRPE 1.7 and CAn Mods.

[IMG][/IMG]

Can you also go into that folder and show me a pic from there?

EDIT: I`m guessing that you are placing the mods inside the data folder.

Will this do ?

[IMG][/IMG]

Yes, it`s as I thought. Do you see the "Data" folder from the last picture? It`s between the "battlefield" and the descr_buildings_battle" folders. Move that in your main RTW folder. Right there where you posted the first pic. It will ask if you want to overwrite the data folder. Say yes. If it`s not clear say so and I`ll try to explain some more.

Ok Florin I did that I now I get the BI cinematics, followed by the RTR screen saying 1.7. Progress !

How do I know if I got Candelarius' mod in there as well ?

Well, start the game and see. I`m guessing that you placed both RTRPE v1.7 and Candelarius` mod inside the data folder so when you moved it out you moved both of them because the data folder from Candelarius` mod overwrote the one from RTRPE v1.7 and they merged into one.

Now. The main idea when installing any of these mods and patches is to replace the files and folders from the vanilla RTW. So, I suggest that you install them in a different folder then where you have the game(make a new folder and name it "folder" for example) and then go inside that folder and you`ll see a "data" folder(all of the mods have it). After that right clik this "data" folder and select copy. Then go inside the "Rome - Total War" folder where the game is (but not inside the data folder from Rome - Total War as you did the last time) and right click on an empty space there and select paste. You will be informed that there already is a folder with that name and you will be asked if you want to overwrite it. Say yes. That`s all there is to it.

Right I did that.

I now start the game from the BI (modded) icon on the desktop. I get BI cinematics followed by RTRPE 1.7. Thats followed by the faction listing, which includes Galatians and Britons.

Click ANY faction and I get a CTD. No error messages.

The CTD occurs when you try to start a battle or a campaign?

Delete your map.rwm file found in:

* c:\RTW\data\world\maps\base
    * c:\RTW\data\world\maps\campaign\base
    * c:\RTW\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign
    They can be in all or in only some/one of those places.
    You can also just move them/it in another folder so you don`t irreversible delete the wrong thing.

Campaigns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast