Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: campaign objectives

Default Re: campaign objectives

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Phalangite View Post
    Please compare and contrast the differences between ULTIMATE objectives and CHAPTER objectives. Note that the Ultimate Objectives are what you need to complete to win the game, the Chapter objectives are just a piss-poor attempt at giving the game a story-driven immersion factor and are not necessary to win the game. You inevitably complete each chapter as you progress, though, whether you're trying to fulfil the chapter objectives or not.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    the same absurd objectives for all factions.not matter how powerful they may be, whether it is a single tribe or as the seleucid empire and the historical context of each faction.

That is why I change victory conditions as i want by doing a little magic with startpos.esf

Pinkie Pie's Avatar Comes Limitis

I agree that the victory conditions are absurd but for different reasons, mainly because the ai is not capable of giving the player a challenge so once you have 50+ regions it turns into a game of picking on tiny empires with your elite stacks and taking rebel settlements.

The chapter objectives did however keep me interested until I reached the end especially trying to complete all of the bonus objectives to each one before continuing.

The primary objectives while badly done are only meant to be end of game objectives. At this point with all of the chapter objectives done your faction will be close to becoming the new Roman |Empire and this is only meant to show that.
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "Me? Ruin? I'm not the ruiner, I'm the ruinee! Or is it ruinness? Ruinette?"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"
    "Oh my gosh. Hold on to your hooves – I am just about to be brilliant!"

I wasn't even looking at the chapter objectives when I hit 70 settlements. There's no reward that interests me at that point when I'm making tons of money. Just a long grinding campaign to reach my military objective. As for players who think it's silly to be reslistic with campaign objectives, there's a difference between all out realism which the game already compromises and practicL realism for gameplay. Having hidtorically realidtic targets would still fall within the 2nd category as rome 1's bi tried to do. So why not here?
    "Say not always what you know, but always know what you say." - Claudius

Anibal at portas, calm down. You are incorrect on a number of issues:

1. I would venture a guess that almost 100% of all total war gamers have a brain, as the complex thinking, decision making, and even physical movements required to play a computer game necessitate a well-developed nervous system.

2. Many people, not matter how no cultured they be, enjoy immersion/thinking/context...but may not want to play with your examples of objectives.

3. Mods are, and always have been, the proper way to adjust a total war game to your specific tastes. Some people love the Lord of the Rings as much as you like coloring on maps...they made a mod for that. Others may only care for the Lord of the Rings as much as you care for English.

4. Lighten up. You've made your point and few have agreed wholeheartedly. There are bigger issues.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Karamazovmm View Post
    it was really hard to lose my campaign, I had to make some unhistorical moves like disbanding armies and giving money, but I made sure that I was defeated. the expansion was joyful though, I didn't need to do much, the problem was baiting the romans and retaking cities that were lost to those uncouth barbarians so that the romans could take it from me

phew it was really hard work, glad I got that steam shinny badge it made everything much brighter after i had it

now trying to slowly die as the seleucids, we need for the romans to start conquering things more historically as well, they are lagging behind right now, I should die soon as an empire, and get another shiny badge
    Yeah I know. Very hard to be defeated to achieve historically correct victory condition. This thread actually gives me an idea to create a historically correct victory condition mod. If not because CA is releasing patches almost every week and every patch change the startpos I can release it already by this weekend.

For Iceni cultural victory condition I'm thinking about making sure to surrender Roman General by the name of Caesar by 54 bc. Any other dates achieved, no Steam achievement.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Anibal at portas View Post
    current objective for carthage of CA for casual players and young illiterate,risk style of play and really all factions have the same goal to conquer the entire map, horrible for players with brain and understood the strategy and excellent for for casual players without brain or culture.

Off topic, even the fore mentioned, not worth repeating title, players know they can not win the game, even after conquering the whole map without recruiting enough naval and mercenary units, since some, like me, do not recruit and keep mercs for long time.

I also like those chapter objectives, and trying not quitting the campaign, since I got too powerful as Parthia. I might need to recruit those mercs after full fill the other requirements to complete the campaign.
    Last edited by RMSN NIKE; October 24, 2013 at 12:20 AM.
    Riddle me this, riddle me that:
    Who was my first commander?
    How many of me are active right now?
    And who drank a Delacourt '27 when received the commandership of me?

Quote Originally Posted by RMSN NIKE View Post
    I also like those chapter objectives, and trying not quitting the campaign, since I got too powerful as Parthia. I might need to recruit those mercs after full fill the other requirements to complete the campaign.
    Start recruiting merc navies before getting the last settlement. That is what I intended to do since I don't really have huge navies in my Parthian campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Start recruiting merc navies before getting the last settlement. That is what I intended to do since I don't really have huge navies in my Parthian campaign.
    Navy is for Carthage, not for Parthia. And as posted, I might need to hire those mercs for the Military requirement. But I forgot that Culture requirement is easier to full fill if one does not want to recruit mercs or sack\raze cities for Military\Economic Objectives. Maybe I will rush to complete that instead.

I just wish the gap between chapter objectives 8 and 9 were not so astronomically wide, since chapter 9 is to full fill a winning objective. It is really boring pushing over those mini empires in late game.

Quote Originally Posted by RMSN NIKE View Post
    Navy is for Carthage, not for Parthia. And as posted, I might need to hire those mercs for the Military requirement. But I forgot that Culture requirement is easier to full fill if one does not want to recruit mercs or sack\raze cities for Military\Economic Objectives. Maybe I will rush to complete that instead.

I just wish the gap between chapter objectives 8 and 9 were not so astronomically wide, since chapter 9 is to full fill a winning objective. It is really boring pushing over those mini empires in late game.
    That's what I said. I don't recruit navies as Parthia so to get the merc objective I recruited them in navies before getting the final settlement.

My armies are pure Parthian blood and I have no intention to disband them just to give way to some merc companies.

I think there is a confusion in our posts. I thought you were giving me advise, from the tone of the post, post 48, which resemble what I had posted before, post 47. Now I think you think I had giving you advise. post 49, from your tone, post 50. If that is so, I am sorry. All I did post was to respond to Anibal at portas' quote, and tried to agree to Pink Pie, post 43, and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Anibal at portas
    a lot of things, most to the tune "Whine, whine, I don't wanna have the "barbarians" having an empire. Rome is the greatest there ever was and ever will be! History must be followed and Rome must rise even if the player uses Gaul as a faction!"
    Ah, another follower of the deterministic school of history. No, history is not deterministic, according to both historians and quantum physicists. Instead of the Roman Empire you could have just as well had the Etruscan Era. Everything you do in a TW series game fits the definition of alternate history.

Anyway, on to the meat: Taking Rome is not as a dumb proposition as you make it seem, since it commands the Adriatic and parts of the Mediterranean. Also, whoever controls it is probably a player in the Med and needs to be taken out. So, if my hypothetical gaulish Empire wants to rule the "known world", it would be a wise move to conquer Rome. Also, the game is called "Total War" not "Reenacting History" - it IS your goal to conquer the known world.
    If you accuse the map objectives of being "risk-style", remember that the first two games in the series were straight risk-style games. And until FOTS the goal of all vanilla TWs - and most mods - was "conquer x amount of cities, including cities y,z,...". You would do well to take off the rose tinted glasses and come off your high horse.

Also, I recommend you cease your use of snarl words like "illiterate", since it makes it look you like a douche and drags down the discussion unnecessarily.

The only current gripe I have with the campaign goals is the absence of the "short campaign" - but I hope that that will be reintroduced with patches.

Eradicate the Jews .. oh wait, CA have already done that!
    PSYCHO V

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, Meditation 17)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123