Thread: How to edit/add confederation names

Default How to edit/add confederation names

I have recently created a British Confederation and I was wondering if it is possible to change the name of this. If so, how would I do it?

Thanks,
    ch

TuCoT's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Is it possible to rename a Confederation?

In game, you can't change your faction or confederation's name. However, by editing text files, you can change it to whatever you want.

First download Pack File Manager 3.0.3: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...v-replace-data

Then download Mod Manager: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...36-Mod-Manager

Extract it to somewhere in your PC, then run PackFileManager.exe and;

1- Select "File > Open" and locate your "Total War Rome II\data" directory, open "local_en.pack" file.

2- Expand it like this: "local_en.pack > text > db > cultures_subcultures.loc"

3- In "cultures_subcultures.loc", find these tags:

"cultures_subcultures_confederation_screen_name_sc_rom_british"

"cultures_subcultures_confederation_summary_name_sc_rom_british"

With a screenshot:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

and change their "Localised String" (do not change tags, only localised strings will be change!!) from "British Confederation" to whatever you want to name your faction (maybe "Pritanoi" or "Pretannike", a recommendation from me ).

4- Select "Save As...", name your new and separate pack file and put it to your "Total War Rome II\data" folder, run Mod Manager, tick your pack file and play.

Hope it helps. Enjoy!
    Last edited by TuCoT; September 27, 2013 at 09:08 AM.

Great, thanks Tucot. I will try it when I get home. And thank you for the name ideas too

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Rather than creating new thread I just ask here. If I enable the Greeks to form Confederation (League). How then ? Do I have to add anything else ?

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

crzyrndm's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Rather than creating new thread I just ask here. If I enable the Greeks to form Confederation (League). How then ? Do I have to add anything else ?
    Add the entries to the loc table specified above (IIRC the keys are something like: cultures_subcultures_confederation_summary_name_sc_rom_greek & cultures_subcultures_confederation_screen_name_sc_rom_greek) and enable confederations in the db table which specifies satrapy/client/confederation is all that is required IIRC. There is one thing to be aware of though, there are a number of minor factions with the greek subculture spread around the mediterranean so if you want to limit it to specific factions you will have to create a new subculture. There also may need to be some tweak to the cai to make the factions involved more agreeable as when I was testing this out, while I got the diplomatic option, I was never able to actually form a confederation.

If needed, you can also have a look through this mod

EDIT

Original Greek Confederation mod thread here
    Last edited by crzyrndm; October 22, 2013 at 04:58 AM.
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all
    Creating a mod.pack with PFM - Database Table Fragments

Default How to edit/add confederation names

I recently added the option to Greek factions to create confederations in my mod, the problem is that when I create a confederation the name of the faction maintains, it's not changed to Greek confederation or something like that and I was wondering if it is possible to edit it.
    Thanks

Default Re: How to edit/add confederation names

Ok, I managed to do it

I was thinking of making something like if Athens for a League then it will be Athenian League, Sparta to Spartan League and so on. How much work do you think it will involved ?

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

I think it will be difficult to say the least. Almost certainly not possible via. db editing alone.

Findings from the second link would indicate that the confederation mechanic is rather shallow for what it could be (see Kalmar Union from Med2: Teutonic which atleast unlocked some new units), with the only change being the visible name. I would love to tie a bunch of stuff in to confederations (units, faction effects, traits, buildings, etc., as well as adding a temporary diplomatic penalty with neighbors depending on whether it was a hostile takeover or not, and a global penalty for factions not of your sub-culture to represent their fear of your growing alliance), but as it stands right now it's too barebones to be worth the effort in my case.
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all

FaLKReN's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    I was thinking of making something like if Athens for a League then it will be Athenian League, Sparta to Spartan League and so on. How much work do you think it will involved ?

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.
    You will not be able to that, as they both belong to the greek subculture, so you won't be able to specify it individually.

Until we figure out, how to we create new subcultures and completely new factions this idea is sadly a dead end.

Quote Originally Posted by FaLKReN View Post
    new subcultures
    That really shouldn't be difficult, although I dont see how it would help in this case (confederations cant exist across sub-cultures, only within). From what I can tell, the sub-culture does little more than minor diplomatic effects and limiting confederations (possibly faction select screen also), so it shouldn't complain too much if you just add a new one and assign some factions to it.

The bare minimum for a new sub-culture may just be these two tables (I might have a go tomorrow):
    cultures_subcultures -> create new subculture
    factions -> assign some factions to new sub-culture

And if you want to go a little further and give the group unique traits (ie. the 2 effects every faction in a group gets atm)
    factions_groups -> make new group and link to effect bundle
    factions_to_faction_groups_junctions -> re-assign factions to new group
    effects_bundles -> groups of effects you can tie to the faction group
    effects_bundles_to_effects_junctions -> constructing your effect bundle (don't forget the settlement zeal/subtefuge/authority marked as unseen in other bundles)

Just a warning, I was trying to mess with subcultures so that Parthia, Egypt and Pontus could confederate. Subcultures are also tied to technology and buildings so things got messy.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

I guess that makes sense looking at how things are laid out (and complicates things just a little...)

Okay. I just added the loc file but when Sparta form confederation still nothing happened.

Mind telling me how you do it ?

BallButton's Avatar Foederatus

Same here, but with 3 problems, mod manager cannot be ran, the mod is shown to be outdated and of course, obviously nothing is changed. Although I must say i am trying it with a saved game, which I mean really is the only way for a newb modder like me. Any help will be appreciated, really want my Gallic Confederation be called the Celtic Commonwealth.

BallButton's Avatar Foederatus

Hmm, interestingly it seems I have solved the problem by doing it as TuCot said but then I open my own mod with the unpacker and realise the save didn't save my changes and thus i did it through the mod and save it, then used R2TW's mod manage (not the one that was asked to download) and it worked with my saved game.