Thread: integrate custom models in Shogun 2 ???

Default integrate custom models in Shogun 2 ???

Hi ,

i need help of modders with experience in mesh-model import/export.
    i try to integrate my own Models into the game,and edit existing models to make them look better.
    i want to import the following things:

1. a new Armor-Model made by me.
    2. a new Katana-Model i made for a another game.
    3. some Helmet-Models, Masks , Crests , made or edited by me.

I have experience in make / edit Models with 3D-Software,that is not the problem.

the problem is that any game use different preferences and formats and skeletons.
    I know how to make it right in a another game.
    and i know that because a good tutorial helped me in the beginning.
    but for Shogun 2 i cant find a complete tutorial that help me....
    so to do that here for Shogun 2 i need some assistance.
    in every single game models must have correct preferences,step by step,and the correct import/export process and settings.
    so the game can use them.
    i know some steps,but not enough....

i have Ultimate Unwrap 3D to bring the original Shogun 2-game files into a format Autodesk 3DS Max can use ( .fbx )
    i have 3DS Max 2010 to import these converted files and edit these models,and here at this point the first problem begins...
    i get error messages when i try to import these fbx files ( you can see it in the images i have uploaded ) .
    i hope anyone is interested and spent his time to help me here........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BILD4.png  

Default Re: integrate custom models in Shogun 2 ???

today i tried to import a helmet model with Unwrap 3d,save it as .fbx and import it into 3DS Max,and this time i ignore the error messages.
    now i change absolutely nothing,and export it directly as .cs2 file. i think when i know how to bring unchanged models to work in game,then i can try to edit those models.
    the next step is so far as i know the converting to the TWS2-Format by using CA official modding tool BOB. BOB should be able to convert cs2 files to variant_part_mesh file used
    in the game. but when i tried this , BOB cannot do this. not with my testfile,and strangely not with cs2 files there was integrated in the installation folder of TWEAK and BOB.
    so it seems BOB is unable to do this important step.......

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Do you have had a look here : [Tutorial] Needed: Simple Tutorial for exporting and importing S2TW Equipment model Modifications

Of course, it's far from being a complete tutorial, but it could maybe help.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

hi wangrin,

thank you for the reply.
    so i import my katana-model into the equipment.max file, per fbx-format 3DS Max crashed after import,so i used obj.-format,it works but some parts of the Katana are now deformed.
    but that is not so bad at this moment.first i want to understand the process.
    i believe now i have to " connect " it to the skeleton and give it a name " rigid_equip_mykatana ".
    and i believe i have to connect it to the same bones the vanilla katanas are connected.
    im gonna try it.many thanks to you!

let me ask you,have you ever get your selfmade models to work in game?

Patrician Artifex

I did not have created models for S2TW.
    What is interesting for me with CS2 converter and BoB, is that they allow, theoretically, to create new cs2.parsed files (collision models) for engines as well as buildings.
    Sadly, the script for buildings is corrupted... (thanks CA, thanks...).

But I've helped to understand how equipments and unit parts are built and what process to use.
    You can ask Ygges about this as I think he successfully add new equipments.
    Last edited by wangrin; October 22, 2013 at 12:50 PM.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

i tried it today,i convert my Katana to " editable poly " , so it is now like all the other Katana-Models in the equipment.file.I deleted the rigid_equip_katana_lod 1,2,3,4 ,and give my katana the name rigid_equip_katana_lod 1,2,3,4. then i add a skin modifier , and connect it to the bone called " Weapon 2 ",so it is now like the other Katanas.then i export it as cs2 file and convert it with BOB to variant_part_mesh file.i put this file
    in the directorys,changed in TWEAK-DAVE the equipment.themes-tables so two units should use my Katana now.then i open Unit Editor and hope to see the Soldier-Model wields my katana,but not.
    the unit that uses my completely new equipment-theme wields no weapon.no weapon in his hands,nothing but the soldier-model and his armor.
    and the unit that uses the "shogun-infantry-katana"-equpiment theme wields still the vanilla-katana......

Patrician Artifex

Do you have tried to open the new equipment file (a variant_part_mesh) with UU3D + ETW plugin ? It could also be a problem with vertex weights, but if no bones would be assigned to vertex, you should have seen an error message when using CS2 converter or BoB.

in Unwrap 3D my katana is there.perhaps i put the equipment.file into the wrong folder,i will try this and the thing with these vertex weights.hope you continue to help me.

Patrician Artifex

The problem with ETW plugin is that if it is possible to import .anim file it is impossible to see animation with UU3D for S2TW models.
    This would eventually help to see if the problem is tied to vertex weights.

At least, you could also check if the texture is assigned to your model.

Maybe could you ask a moderator if he can merge this thread with this one : [Tutorial] Needed: Simple Tutorial for exporting and importing S2TW Equipment model Modifications
    Doing so, informations about adding new models would be in a single thread, helping to find them I think.
    Last edited by wangrin; October 22, 2013 at 02:13 PM.

OK this is interesting:

i cannot edit and save the original-models2.pack from the data folder of Shogun 2 with Pack File Manager.so i export all the models inside this pack,import it in a new pack,and save it as models2.pack.
    so now i can edit it and save it.then i import my variant_part_mesh and save it.then i start the game and make a custom battle with Katana Samurai,and....YEEAAH!
    they wield my katana in hand.i was so happy,then i start Unit Editor,load a Katana Samurai and, oh no the Unit Editor crashed,and again,and again.....i try know how to fix that.

Patrician Artifex

Excellent news and congratulation for having carry on up until successfully add your new weapon
    TWC need modelers, and particularly S2TW.

Would you post a screenshot here
    Last edited by wangrin; October 22, 2013 at 03:02 PM.

thank you!the problem with the unit editor is not fixed yet.

Screenshot SWORD 3 is what the Katana will look,when the right texture is add to it,when it is finish.
    Screenshot SWORD 2 is the ingame Screenshot,it looks ugly because this is the standard-texture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SWORD3.jpg   SWORD2.jpg  

today i tried to import and export a vanilla-helmet.a day full of try and error.i exported a helmet.cs2 file,start BOB to convert it into variant_part_mesh and to create a pack file,and all the other cs2 files are succesfully exported into variant_part_mesh,only my helmet.cs2 is still a cs2.file.so i tried to export it again,but this time as a fbx file,so i can open it with Unwrap 3D,and in Unwrap 3D the helmet is there......enough for today.

Wangrin?

are you still here ?

Patrician Artifex

Yep,

But I'm quite busy with real life...

When exporting a model from S2TW, it is important to import it in a "sane" raw model, using it as a base.
    Then, you will have to check vertex weights (rigging model) and materials.

Do you have error message with BoB when working with your helmet ?

ah ,Hi !

right, i imported it into a max.file from the folder raw data/art/................../unitparts/japan/helmets..........into the same type of unitparts.i tried several things today and now BOB convert it into
    variant_part_mesh.this is solved.but the next problem comes naturally,when i open this converted file with Unwrap 3D,the skeleton is there,but not the helmet-model,but i am keep on trying,as long
    as i have ideas for possible solutions,or someone like you spent their time to help........

Ok,i tried some more things,i used SpartanWarrior´s Equipment.max file that he uploaded as a base,then i imported the helmet-model as a obj. - file,renamed it in Helmet_LOD 1,2,3,4 , connect it to the bones,export it as cs2,convert it with BOB,and opened Unit Editor,and....yeeeeesssss! the helmet is right there on the head of the Samurai......i am very happy about this.so it seems you can use spartanwarriors Equipment.max file as a base
    for Weapons AND Armor-parts.

Patrician Artifex

Equipment and unit parts share the same skeleton.
    Differences are about :

• equipment meshes can only be tied to one bone at a time, when unit part meshes can be tied to a maximum of two bones
    • layer structures are slightly different

All the problem is that a lot, if not most of raw models (.max) provided by CA in its Assembly kit seems to be corrupted...