Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This game is great and all, but there are 2 minor problems.

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default This game is great and all, but there are 2 minor problems.

So after 1.5 months I finally took the time this weekend to try the campaign after only playing MP before and I don't really understand what people are so upset about, the campaign is really great except 2 major quirks:

1) The AI is constantly circling my around my provinces on their fleets, it is like every faction is swarming around me like an angry swarm of wasps but they do not attack or anything, but it makes me feel paranoid. Or is this actually really brilliant AI programming that aims at keeping you all the time worried so you can't deploy all your stacks overseas? Perhaps the AI is now so smart that it understands human psychology and even engages in psychological warfare?

2) That factions are not destroyed when last settlement falls and that is really annoying when fighting desert factions that can move unhindered everywhere...

3) Why is it that the game in campaign slows down to an unplayable crawl when it rains? In MP it runs fine when raining. Also the constant crashing is sort of annoying, one time I lost 2 hours of progress.

Otherwise the game is really great I suppose.
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

Civis

Default Re: This game is great and all, but there are 2 minor problems.

I might add one or two (or a dozen) points, but I´d like to point out first that you mention three quirks and not two....

Yes I am aware of that. Also I found another thing in the AI that I do not know if it is genious or retarded.

I was attacking Epirus together with my Athenian allies. As always when I fight with allies I usually just sit back and watch in amusement as my stupid AI ally does the job for me or die trying. The Athenian however did not attack, instead the AI faked being broken and was just randomly running in circles at the beach. In an act of pure genious the AI must have known that I intended to exploit it and pretended to be broken so it instead could watch me do the job for him! This is confirmed by the fact that when I gave up on the AI and ordered my troops to advance the allied AI immediately snapped out of the circling and charged in on the enemy so it must have been cleverly awaiting my assistance! It must have been a bit to eager to win though as it did not even stop to fight the enemy but rather just ran towards the flag until it had lost all its' units...
    Last edited by |Sith|Galvanized Iron; October 20, 2013 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|Galvanized Iron View Post
    Yes I am aware of that. Also I found another thing in the AI that I do not know if it is genious or retarded.
    It must have been a bit to eager to win though as it did not even stop to fight the enemy but rather just ran towards the flag until it had lost all its' units...
    that's just priceless. it's also known as retarded siege AI syndrome R2 seems to be infected with...

[QUOTE=|Sith|
    Otherwise the game is really great I suppose.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like your having doubts, ie the use of 'really great' and 'suppose'.
    Not no sure some of things now listed in this thread are so minor, but that is a somewhat mute point, I suppose.

So after 1.5 months I finally took the time this weekend to try the campaign after only playing MP before and I don't really understand what people are so upset about, the campaign is really great except 2 major quirks:

1) The AI is constantly circling my around my provinces on their fleets, it is like every faction is swarming around me like an angry swarm of wasps but they do not attack or anything, but it makes me feel paranoid. Or is this actually really brilliant AI programming that aims at keeping you all the time worried so you can't deploy all your stacks overseas? Perhaps the AI is now so smart that it understands human psychology and even engages in psychological warfare?
    Within the context of the game and one year turns, this bit you could call accurate. The fact is an overland march from Rome to Gades took 3 months, by boat 2 weeks. The Mediterranean warfare of this period was dominated by navies. And it remained that way until the Mediterranean became a Roman lake. The deciding battle of the fate of the Republic, Actinium was a sea battle, and the fact that Mark Antony still had considerable forces on land didn't matter squat after the sea battle was lost.

2) That factions are not destroyed when last settlement falls and that is really annoying when fighting desert factions that can move unhindered everywhere...
    didums!
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

issues? this game only has one game breaking issue. I probably wouldnt need to name it even. Where this to be fixed, no one would complain about this game anymore, and it make this pile of garbage a divine gift we should sherish. But without it, the game is just unplayable. It's just a dealbreaker.

Of course I'm refering to the lack of head hurlers in this game.

Arbitrary Crusader's Avatar Praefectus

Pink Pajamas for me.

Can't believe I wasted money on this game, and I get no pink warriors.

WHYYYYYYYYY????

♪ Now it's over, I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do

Quote Originally Posted by wulfgar610 View Post
    Within the context of the game and one year turns, this bit you could call accurate. The fact is an overland march from Rome to Gades took 3 months, by boat 2 weeks. The Mediterranean warfare of this period was dominated by navies. And it remained that way until the Mediterranean became a Roman lake. The deciding battle of the fate of the Republic, Actinium was a sea battle, and the fact that Mark Antony still had considerable forces on land didn't matter squat after the sea battle was lost.
    Is this some kind of highly anachronistic glorification of the British Empire or something? The most decisive battle of the ancient era was the Battle of Teutoberg forest and there was no major presence of navies present at that battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    Ok I will add that one to the issues as well and then everyone will feel that their happiness has been quantified.

Is this some kind of highly anachronistic glorification of the British Empire or something? The most decisive battle of the ancient era was the Battle of Teutoberg forest and there was no major presence of navies present at that battle.
    Was there something valuable there?
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Trees and trees make the world go merry all around.

Pinkie Pie's Avatar Comes Limitis

As far as I am aware Teutoburg did not have much of an effect upon the roman political system while the Battle of Actium gave Octavian not only sole control over the Rome and her territories but also over both his and Antony's army (the latter surrendering after Antony fled at sea).

My biggest issue is the ai in it's infinite stupidity. It wouldn't matter as much if we had more variety in multiplayer because then the single player would be a distraction at best but with all the features from Shogun 2 missing all there is is a basic multiplayer and a crappy ai in single player.
    There is unfortunately no part of the game that is really immersive.
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "Me? Ruin? I'm not the ruiner, I'm the ruinee! Or is it ruinness? Ruinette?"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"
    "Oh my gosh. Hold on to your hooves – I am just about to be brilliant!"

1) The AI is constantly circling my around my provinces on their fleets, it is like every faction is swarming around me like an angry swarm of wasps but they do not attack or anything, but it makes me feel paranoid. Or is this actually really brilliant AI programming that aims at keeping you all the time worried so you can't deploy all your stacks overseas?
    You're surrounded of transport fleets from Sparta, Iberians, Illyrians, Celts or any other faction which historically wasn't a major naval power?
    Then, just a quite unbalanced feature that need to be drastically nerfed, nothing of brilliant. Sorry

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    issues? this game only has one game breaking issue. I probably wouldnt need to name it even. Where this to be fixed, no one would complain about this game anymore, and it make this pile of garbage a divine gift we should sherish. But without it, the game is just unplayable. It's just a dealbreaker.

if they arent ap, im asking for a refund!

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

ychology and even engages in psychological warfare?
    This probably to ensure that you destroy their field army first before taking the settlement. With this feature there's more chance of possibility that 'destroyed' factions always emerges later. Of course it's funny in my Parthian campaign that Rome emerged 3 times in 3 different place, where 1 was in Iberia.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    This probably to ensure that you destroy their field army first before taking the settlement. With this feature there's more chance of possibility that 'destroyed' factions always emerges later. Of course it's funny in my Parthian campaign that Rome emerged 3 times in 3 different place, where 1 was in Iberia.
    Yes the Carthagians re-appeared in an Arevaci settlement as a result of me spreading Latin culture in whatever the west African province is called.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Good one.

I know right!? The AI is so smart now that it acts stupid so it can strike when you least expect it.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by wulfgar610 View Post

didums!
    I really don't think the badly implemented transports reflect this at all and i think you're exaggerating the importance of naval battles greatly.

There were not huge fleets of Iberians and African tribesmen swarming over North African and Spanish waters historically, nor did defeated Spanish or African tribes take to the sea and just sail off if they couldn't win on land, largely because to do that they would have had controlled significant supplies of timber and also ports or else skilled shipbuilders.

Nor, historically, did kingdoms or Republics send their field armies out by sea to threaten distant lands while their own borders were under attack by land.

And while Actium certainly ended the last civil war the vast majority of major battles in the Republican civil wars and between the Romans and their rivals and enemies were on land. There were a couple of major sea battles in the First Punic War but not one single sea battle in the entire Second Punic War for instance.

The vast majority of major battles and campaigns were fought on land.

On top of that huge fleets of instant oared reme transports that no starting fleet can defeat is not historically accurate either.

Also the constant crashing is sort of annoying, one time I lost 2 hours of progress.
    You took 2 hours for a single turn?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast