Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Bioware characters

Default Re: Bioware characters

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Except comparing them leaves you out of luck because for the most part unless, say, Frank Herbert wanted to make Dune(the first book alone, not the series) ten times as long, he couldn't have made it work for a computer game because he couldn't have accounted for the choices of the player, or just the world exploration, or the sidequests. And all the games from movies just sort of drag you through the story instead of letting you have any real choice. Meh. It's an entirely different ball game. It's not an analogy. It's a fail.

There's a reason the better games are their own damn world and stories.
    Don't see a correlation to what I said here...
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Quote Originally Posted by Mangalore View Post
    Don't see a correlation to what I said here...
    Dropping the bulk of my post to a simple sentence: the comparison to other mediums sucks; see post for reference.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

... anyways..

Anyone else noticed how Leliana from dragon age is the same concept of character as Sharwyn from Neverwinter Nights, yet very poorly executed? Redhead bard you can flirt with. Yet Leliana is such a dumb naive character with a way too modern personality while Sharwyn really is quite charming, actually has sensible things to say and is much more believeable as someone who can fight.

Modern personalities was a common problem in Dragon Age though. Morrigan and Allistar had this problem too. They did not fit their own background at all.
    Morrigan lives as a recluse in the forests with just her mother, yet somehow is dressed like that, looks like high maintenance and seems to be a rather comforteable speaker for someone who doesnt meet much people at all.
    Allistar is just too whimpy to be believeable as templar material or grey warden material. Doesnt take any initiative and just leaves it all to the newest recruit to solve.

Comes Domesticorum

I think most of us have noticed simply because you bring it up all the time, lol. That and the lack of crappy teeth in DA2.

Or Leliana could be based off of Imoen being a nice, naive, roguish, redhead. Well minus the sex thing. Dunno how incest works with god children but I wouldn't take my chances. Besides she friend zones you just like any true love. The Bioware characters all tend to run together. But then again you start to run out of trope when you make so many RPG's.
    And again with the modern personalities thing?
    Last edited by Kamos; June 24, 2014 at 01:51 PM.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Inhuman is right, Allistair and Morrigan wouldn't be out place in an LA high-school.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

They'd fit in better in that kind of enviroment than in dragon age.

Comes Domesticorum

Indeed, there were no shy or inept people in the Middle Ages.

But seriously Morrigan supposedly spent her whole life in a swamp with an old witch, and somehow she's a master manipulator, charismatic, capable of great feats with the art of speechcraft and completely self confident.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    Indeed, there were no shy or inept people in the Middle Ages.
    Somehow I don't see John I, Edward II, Guy de Lusignan or even the more modenr George III wearing hair-gel and acting like Alistair. The only genuinely medieval characters are king whatshisname in Origins and Loghain but only because the first doesn't get a chance to spoil the feeling and the second copies Alan Rickman's Sheriff of Nothingham. Everyone else is like a super hip Californian
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; June 29, 2014 at 08:17 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    But seriously Morrigan supposedly spent her whole life in a swamp with an old witch, and somehow she's a master manipulator, charismatic, capable of great feats with the art of speechcraft and completely self confident.
    Right, because being raised by Flemeth meant basically just cooking her dinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    Somehow I don't see John I, Edward II, Guy de Lusignan or even the more modenr George III wearing hair-gel and acting like Alistair. The only genuinely medieval characters are king whatshisname in Origins and Loghain but only because the first doesn't get a chance to spoil the feeling and the second copies Alan Rickman's Sheriff of Nothingham. Everyone else is like a super hip Californian
    Uh-huh, is this after your study of the personalities of every lowborn bastard in medieval times?

No need to, Bioware got the mentality wrong not the personality.

Right, because being raised by Flemeth meant basically just cooking her dinner.
    No, because living in a swamp deprived of regular human contact means you don't develop the skills associated with communication and human interaction, skills which can't be taught.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; June 29, 2014 at 09:37 AM.

Comes Domesticorum

Right, and she says that she goes to villages and trades and whatever. Besides, I'm not sure which game you've been playing, but Morrigan hardly appears to be socially capable in Dragon Age.

The mentality? So now you know what every medieval lowborn bastard thought too?

Forsooth because buying food is the best way to build self-confidence and to gain a supreme mastery of the English language and decent mastery of rhetoric. Trully i say the schools of Carthage and Athens could holdeth not a candle to the village of Loithering.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; June 29, 2014 at 10:04 AM.

Forsooth because buying food is the best way to build self-confidence and to gain a supreme mastery of the English language and decent mastery of rhetoric. Trully i say the schools of Carthage and Athens could holdeth not a candle to the village of Loithering.
    Hey now, don't underestimate your notCharismatic notShamans in these games!
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Comes Domesticorum

Right, so, no argument. Carry on with whatever it is you're doing.

Dude living in a swamp with an old hag (no matter how intelligent she is) and going only to the closest village to get some food(and somehow I can't imagine Morrigan doing that) will not make you a sharp, charismatic, quick wit person with a developed sense of humor.

Maybe one of the Wilders she slept with was Gregory House, WD, and she picked it up from him.

Right, so, no argument. Carry on with whatever it is you're doing.
    What's the point of presenting arguments when you just deflect them with sophistries and one liner strawmen.

*wd - witch doctor
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; June 29, 2014 at 11:13 AM.

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    Dude living in a swamp with an old hag (no matter how intelligent she is) and going only to the closest village to get some food(and somehow I can't imagine Morrigan doing that) will not make you a sharp, charismatic, quick wit person with a developed sense of humor.
    Right, and Morrigan is hardly all that. The sense of humor is clearly her mother's, and her sharpness comes from endless reading.

I'd hardly call her charismatic either. She is very abrasive offensive and disrespectful. She know how to talk to people from traveling around but has little concept of emotional attachment or being able to open up. And she did travel, it's part of he dialogs that she occasionally snuck out to see the world of men.
    Alaster was a lowborn medieval bastard whose only acknowledgement by his father and brother was being left as a stable boy by to their relative. And he was probably whipped into silence about is by Eamon which is why he didn't take pride in it. He was basically forced to do everything in his life. Stable boy(Eamon/Maric/Loghain), templar(Eamon) and even as a Grey Warden he was hidden away. Why would he have any initiative? Or any warriors bravado? He only really becomes a great warrior under your command.

Everyone in Dragon Age already carries fairly modern sensibilities and speech but I don't necessarily find these two to out of place in the world.