Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rise of Persia Information

Default Rise of Persia Information

Rise of Persia

Introduction

The Rise of Persia Mod is set in the 6th century BC, a most fascinating era of mankind’s history. It was the time of four grand empires having divided the known world from the Mediterranean Sea to the River Oxus in the east among themselves after the seemingly invincible Assyrian might had been broken. All of them had ventured through great struggles in their past for becoming the dominant superpower deciding the fate of all mankind.
    In the east lay the vast dominion of the Median lords, the undisputed masters of the Iranian Plateau, ruling territory from Asia Minor to the most distant places of east Iran. These dreaded Iranian warriors had overcome the mighty Assyrians, the Kimmerians and the Skythians, they had forged an empire by the means of war that nobody could match in size or power. Yet their wise kings had now been avoiding open conflict on all fronts, making alliances with the Babylonian heir of the Assyrian realm.
    Babylon, located deep in the cradle of civilization, had finally revolted successfully against the Assyrian murderers and flattened their seat of power, utterly destroying their capital Niniveh in retaliation. Babylon’s Great Kings took most of their territory including that of the rebellious Judah kingdom in the Levant. Brute force had made them submit, but clemency – and captivity – ensured their loyalty. Babylon and Media had been friends since the Assyrian Downfall, but there was enough space left to conquer.
    The shadow of the Assyrians was long and their final end had also freed the time-honoured Kingdom of Egypt. The 26th Dynasty had successfully reclaimed its inherent place among the super powers again. Although their great Pharaohs had to face severe problems due to growing mercenary influence and also from the threats posed by Libyans, Greeks and Babylon, they were able to prevail over all these.
    An ally of Egypt was Lydia, the most powerful Nation of Asia Minor. Their war-mongering kings of the Mermnads’ Dynasty hold sway with an iron fist over the lands between the Black Sea and the Mediterranean Sea. Nobody had ever defeated them and their lance-wielding cavalry is as feared as Iranian archers or Greek hoplites. Even the gargantuan Medes could not defeat them and the Greeks of Ionia suffered the same fate as the rest of Asia Minor.

These four super powers came to terms of trade and co-existed more or less peacefully, despite some grim tensions between them regarding their bellicose past. Now was also the time when the Greek city states grew to a potentially serious contender for these powers. If an ambitious city state managed to master all of Hellas then a new and dangerous power would threaten to unbalance the tense equilibrium of the four empires. But while the colony of Kyrene in north Africa could hold their own even against the Pharaoh, the Ionian Greeks were in submission. However, the true reason of their rise was not war, but trade making them rich.
    On the other end of the known worlds were the Indians, not yet involved in any of the others’ business. The heavy incursions of the northern nomads, which had devastated Asia and Europe in the past were over, nevertheless everyone needed to watch them carefully. In the south, Nubians and Arabians were in danger of being conquered by the expanding powers, who had decided not to engage each other.

Nothing seemed to stop their tetrarchy, but the world changed forever, when one man stood up against the Medes. His name was Kuruš and he was the leader of the ignominious Persian tribe. He vanquished the Medes, crushed the Lydians and conquered Babylon. He created the Persian Empire, one of the most splendid the world has ever seen. However, at the beginning of our mod he is just a tribal leader, alone against the super powers.

The year is 559 BC and the Rise of Persia is about to begin.

Factions

Rise of Persia features 18 factions, of which 12 are fully playable at this moment.

Bâb-Ilû

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Units
    Created by Goscinio under supervision of FliegerAD

Lydia
    units

Kemet
    units

Mada
    units
    Created by Vikrant, Halie Satanus and Professor420 under supervision of Rez

Parsa
    units

Magadh
    units

Bessoi (Thrake)

units

Makedon
    units

Greek AOR
    units

Kyrene

units

Athenai

units

Taras

units

Poleis Iades

units

Balkh

Kush

- Animated userbar featuring all of the above!

Plans for the future

Unique recruitment system
    At the moment, Nero666 is working on a faction-specific recruitment system, based on how factions historically behaved in conquests. Persia and Greece are two great examples: Persia will have access to troops of the conquered nations (called assimilation in the development forums), while the Greek factions will have to colonize their conquered provinces, and train their own armies, both like they did in history.

Gameplay improvements
    Spurius and Octavius are working on other exciting parts of the code, which have a lot to do with faction behaviour, and realistic gameplay. We'll unveil these secrets soon, so keep your ears open!

In-game music
    Spurius is currently working on a very good music score for Rise of Persia, all made by himself and, as much as achievable, made with instruments which apply to our timeframe. Teaser coming soon!

Team information

Our team consists of three magnificent historians, five extraordinary graphics artists, three outstanding coders/mappers and two unbelievably good musicians, most people doing more than one job at a time. Nero666 bears the title Team Leader, but in fact everyone leads the project a little or alot into the good direction, making the atmosphere very nice to work in.

Nero666 - Team leader, lead coder, mapper, saviour
    Rez - Lead Historian, Texts
    Goscinio - Lead graphics artist
    FliegerAD - Allround Historical Advisor, Texts
    Zenith Darksea - High quality Greek historian
    Spurius - coder, mapper, musician, mad inventor & bughacker extraordinaire
    Celtic Man - Head of Music
    Kallikratis - 2D/3D Artist
    Kaweh K - 2D Artist
    Octavius - Coder, Team advisor, mapper
    Palissa - 2D/3D artist
    Vikrant1986 - 2D/3D Artist

Contact Information

IRC Channel: #riseofpersia on irc.quakenet.org
    Official Forums: http://www.riseofpersia.com/forums
    Subforums: TWC.net, SCC.com, TR.net, MedievalTW.com
    Last edited by Nero666; July 10, 2008 at 03:05 PM.
    Automating RTW Coding and Balancing with PHP and MySQL (online)

Lead developer of:

Latest RoP Release: ROP v2.2
    Under the Patronage of the magnificent Rez

Kasetuh's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Rise of Persia Information

Text written by Nero666 & FliegerAD. So all contributions go to them. Great job guys!

Here you can read it on russian language and ask some questions about mod to me:
    http://twow.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=3366&st=0

hey guys speaking of russians
    i am getting RTW in russian soon only 1 i can get..
    i am a russian i understnad it but lil probs
    if i instal the game will it be russian or english?

It's a little off-topic here, but of course if you install the Russian version of RTW, RTW will be Russian. ROP isn't available in Russian though.

Lead developer of:

Quote Originally Posted by Nero666 View Post
    - Animated userbar featuring all of the above!
    What do you think about correcting the userbars and create new avatars with the current faction symbols?

There are still many of the old symbols present

Yes you're right, most of those icons are long gone I'll see if we can make new ones just like these.

Lead developer of:

Any information about update?
    What are you working now?

I'm still working on the new map, but won't show screenies until I'm satisfied with the looks . I hope you will like it even better than the current map, when it is done. You can check what quality I will go for by looking in the Troy Total War forum and viewing the map preview there (map made by me, textures by zhuge liang). Hopefully ROP will be better, but then I'll update the Aristeia map too.

Lead developer of:

I have a question....when i play a campaign for ROP 2.2, the advisor comes and says activate the four turns-per-year or something like that, how do i do that?

Icon7 Re: Rise of Persia Information

Click on the "Show me how" button. You need to do this everytime you start/load a campaign.
    • Karl Marx made a great contribution to the liberation cause of mankind, and because of his immortal exploits his name is still enshrined in the hearts of the working class and peoples of all countries.
      • [1], 1983, Let Us Advance Under the Banner of Marxism-Leninism and the Juche Idea

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

It certainly is a interesting time frame.
    Thank you very much for your hard work.
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!

Vardan the Great's Avatar Campidoctor

I see here isn't Armenian?
    "An unexpected death is a death, an intended death - immortality"
    (c) Vardan Sparapet, before the Battle of Avarayr

No. But there are only 19 factions so far. If you have modding skills you can add them as 20th faction.
    From reading the threads here it was (as Urartu) sometimes suggested along with Phoenicia, a second Indian faction or Syrakuse.

sounds very good

No. But there are only 19 factions so far. If you have modding skills you can add them as 20th faction.
    From reading the threads here it was (as Urartu) sometimes suggested along with Phoenicia, a second Indian faction or Syrakuse.
    I don't know if Syrakuse or another faction in India is a good idea. They're too close to the fringe of the map.

I personally think that while it might be desirable to have that part of the Mediterranean, Southern Italy should be cut and more of India ought to be added (don't know how feasible this is). This mod is about the Eastern factions after all.

BTW, I don't think I've said this yet: great mod. Great time period, great idea, great everything. Really well done.
    Last edited by Horse Archer; May 26, 2010 at 07:05 PM.

Vardan the Great's Avatar Campidoctor

Yes!I will try to do smth. on Armenia,I'll contact you!If a faction should be added it's Armenia,for sure.
    "An unexpected death is a death, an intended death - immortality"
    (c) Vardan Sparapet, before the Battle of Avarayr

King Patrick's Avatar Tiro
    Ireland in the ancient Kingdom but now province of Connacht!

Well done ROP team! I really enjoy the game, I always wanted a RTW game that has Persia in it. It is also historically accurate in most of it. The only thing I don't like about it is when the 4 turn per year things comes up. I do what it asks but it keeps poping up when I click on a settlement.

yeah that sucks,
    i had that too for a while.
    sometimes it works fine and another time the keeps asking me.
    but i really love the mod and i would love to see some more units for Macedon in the next version.

CamilleBonparte's Avatar Senator

Any way we could see some of these other factions supported as playable? I'd love to play the Kush and take over Egypt.
    "If History is deprived of the truth, we are left with nothing but an idle, unprofitable tale." - Polybius
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by CamilleBonparte View Post
    Any way we could see some of these other factions supported as playable? I'd love to play the Kush and take over Egypt.
    That's in the works for the next release. First one up is Bactria as they have already been created. I think then we will move onto the Scythians before we do the Kushites though.

We'll get them all in the end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast