Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Become a Modding God, Stage 2 - The World Is Not Enough

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default How to Become a Modding God, Stage 2 - The World Is Not Enough

Beginner's Guide: How To Unlock UnplayableFactions (PFM)

*IMPORTANT*
    You should never unlocked factions that have been released as paid DLC. This method however will not enable it (for example Sparta, Epirus & Athens). Asking how to do it without paying is against this site TOS.

Step 1

This tutorial is obviously created for those who have never modded warscape before. There are many ways and possibly other tools to mod this but I'm using Pack File Manager because that's the one I'm familiar with and find it easy to use.

To start, please download Pack File Manager and it's good to also read Warscape Modding Premier by daniu. Once you have an idea how it works then it is time to start with modding the simplest thing of all, increasing turns per year.

First create a folder (I use desktop for easier access) for all modding work and go to your Rome II data folder and copy campaigns folder. It depends on where your game is installed but the default location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Total War Rome II\data which contain folders called main_rome and 3 prologue folders. You can delete the prologue folders if you only want to mod the main campaign. You are going to edit the startpos.esf which is located inside the main_rome folder.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Now run PFM and enter you mod name (or you can use the default my_mod). Once you my_mod.pack is safely created it will be time to add the startpos.esf to your mod.

Your mod folder should now look likes this.

I have always set up that the pack files be open by PFM so that I can immediately open any pack files I want to edit rather than opening PFM files and selecting files which I want to mod.

Right click on my_mod.pack > Add > Directory as shown in the picture below.

Browse to where you have copied your campaigns folder (in my case inside Tutorial folder on desktop) and click OK. You'll see the green campaigns/main_rome/startpos.esf as shown below.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Default Re: How to Become a Modding God, Stage 2 - The World Is Not Enough

Step 2

For this example I'm unlocking Getae. These are badic steps just to make the faction playable only. There are other steps should you want to make the faction more unique. There are 5 'files' that you need to edit to make this happen. Beside the campaigns folder as shown in above post you'll also need to extract faction_political_parties_junctions and political_parties from Rome II database (data_rome2) folder.

Check Rome 2 Basic Mods, Mod Compilations and Save Game Editing tutorial by Dresden if you're not familiar with extracting files.

Startpos changes.

CAMPAIGN_STARTPOS + CAMPAIGN_PREOPEN_MAP_INFO + CAMPAIGN_PLAYERS_SETUP + PLAYERS_ARRAY + (FACTION-NO) > CAMPAIGN_PLAYER_SETUP

Change the middle false to true.

CAMPAIGN_STARTPOS + CAMPAIGN_PREOPEN_MAP_INFO + FACTION_INFOS > (FACTION_INFOS-NO)

Change both false to true.

CAMPAIGN_STARTPOS + COMPRESSED_DATA + CAMPAIGN_ENV + CAMPAIGN_SETUP + CAMPAIGN_PLAYERS_SETUP + PLAYERS_ARRAY + PLAYERS_ARRAY-NO > CAMPAIGN_PLAYER_SETUP

Change the middle false to true.

You will see what you have changes turns into red colour. Save the file. Now we go to the final step.

DB changes.

Open political_parties table and add/clone 2 new rows to create 2 entries for your new factions. You can actually create your own unique faction trait under effectbundle column but that will need a whole new tutorial for that. For this tutorial just copy any existing vanilla traits from other factions. For Getae I choose Epirus as I think they're the nearest.

Fimal step, open faction_political_parties_junctions and add/clone 2 new rows to create 2 entries for your new factions. The entry in the politicalparty_key must be the same name as in political_parties table that you have edited earlier.

Save and run you mod with the mod manager.

Do you have to include everything in the startpos or can you delete everything else that you don't modify?

As it's within the mod .pack i would have guessed that it would work the same way as, say, when you add/create a new unit and can delete everything else. But if you have to include the whole startpos it's shame, makes mods that edit it incompatible

People said that startpos only works as a whole. I confess I never tried fragmenting it. Of course you can try and make just a simple change like 4 turns per year and delete other things before repacking. If it works, then it works. If not, then too bad.

In any case, PFM and the nature of warscape make easier for anyone to make his/her own mod pack combining all other mods out there.
    Last edited by AngryTitusPullo; January 03, 2014 at 12:24 AM.

I followed along with your tutorial and it worked for me to get Armenia into the campaign. Two questions for you.
    1) How do I get Armenia into custom battles?
    2) How come some factions that are already in the politics tables (Syracuse and Tylis) when you switch the false to true in the 3 startpos.esf they still wont show up?

Thanks for the great and easy to follow Tut

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

1. You probably need to add the cutom battle units for Armenia too. Haven't treied that so I can't really say. Maybe I'll so later if I have time.
    2. Factions which parts of paid DLC factions (culture pack or mini campaign) cannot be unlock via modding as it's control by the game executable.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Melvasul's Avatar Biarchus

Well, I have some problems..
    I need to make only 6 factions playable, Rome, Carthage, Arverni, Iceni, Suebi that are already playable and Cheruschi that's not playable..
    when I made all the other factions non playable(in form_launcher) the game crashed..and when I made Cheruschi playable the game crashed too(in the selection of the Factions and Cultures)..
    I've then created the trait for Cheruschi..
    that's what I've done https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Y...it?usp=sharing and https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Y...it?usp=sharing
    what am I doing wrong? :/

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zdqwegos8u...y_kit.rar?dl=0

All you need to do is run bob. About your error I havent check but it must be some other things. Not knowing everything you've done might be difficult to know what's wrong.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

I have bob, and I have run it, but not sure if I have to run the startpos.esf in campaing_mainrome :/

What I've done?
    Formlauncher_StartingPosition make only playable the 6 factions I told(Rome, Carthage, Arverni, Iceni, Suebi and Cheruschi)
    TableLauncher_(the one you told me) is in the photo I linked with the url :/
    Do I need to remove the playability from the table from TableLauncher too when I disable(or completely remove) an entire factions or cultures?

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

I think your issue is related to totally removing factions. It relates to many tables. What I did (check previous post) was disabling other factions you did not list from being playable and enable Cherusci.

Quote Originally Posted by ^OvO^ View Post
    I think your issue is related to totally removing factions. It relates to many tables. What I did (check previous post) was disabling other factions you did not list from being playable and enable Cherusci.
    I downloaded what you did and correctly applied to the Assembli kit.. and than BOB..but when BOB tried to start the game, it crashed .-.

Thank you veryvery much!!! I tried out very long, to unlock a faction, or either, I searched very long for a Tutorial. Then I found this and in ten minutes, the faction was playable Great Tutorial!!!!

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by melwasul View Post
    I downloaded what you did and correctly applied to the Assembli kit.. and than BOB..but when BOB tried to start the game, it crashed .-.
    Might it be because of this ?

Known Issue.

Known Issue [as of 16/01/2014]:

If the user launches the Assembly Kit through the Tools section of Steam it will generate a file called steam_appid.txt in; C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Total War Rome II\assembly_kit\binaries

If the user then attempts to process a campaign start_pos through BOB it will NOT generate the start_pos.esf file because Rome2 will crash before it is able to start the process.

There is a work around – if the user manually deletes the file steam_appid.txt from the above directory it will work correctly, however if they launch via the Tools menu in Steam the file will be re-generated. This will not harm or affect the users game in any way.
    I manually created shortcut for Tweak and BoB, from binaries.

Quote Originally Posted by ^OvO^ View Post
    Might it be because of this ?

Known Issue.

I manually created shortcut for Tweak and BoB, from binaries.
    I've created it too, and I've never launched from Steam it self.. :/

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Did you hear a music before it crashed ?

Ehm..I've never heard music since the first time I run BOB D;:

Laetus

Can someone tell me how to unlock a faction with their own new traits??? With description, frontend, and everything like all playable faction?? Please.. Because everytime I unlock it like that, my game always stuck at "ROM II EMPEROR EDITION" before SEGA Screen... Please help dude

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Riki_Stealth View Post
    Can someone tell me how to unlock a faction with their own new traits??? With description, frontend, and everything like all playable faction?? Please.. Because everytime I unlock it like that, my game always stuck at "ROM II EMPEROR EDITION" before SEGA Screen... Please help dude
    Well using Assembly Kit it's much easier to unlock factions. The thing about modding is you have to do in steps and after one is working then you add new ones (after making copies of your working mod).

Using this tutorial you will have to change the faction since Getae is already unlocked in vanilla. You will need to choose a faction that is not included in any faction DLCs. Try Nova Carthago for example. Same method. Once you get that working then you can look at other tutorials which adds some more stuff.

Some examples are :

Guide to create multiple subfaction or Familys
    Victory Conditions
    How to add walls to minor settlements on the battle map
    Faction Traits: EXP on recruitment for both Land and Naval Units
    How to add additional income to faction as faction_trait

Laetus

Yeah.. Thanks mate, I'm learning on it

Laetus

Anyone know how to removed forced march effect(beside just add lua script) I wanna removed them so AI can't use it... And how to increase movement point for character at campaign map(if I'm at wrong thread to ask this, please lemme know, cause I'm newcomer)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast