Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Campaigns Addon (for LotRTW v3.0+)

Default Re: CapnDan Campaign Addon V2.2 -Updated!

I think you may add my accuracy mod to a new update for your addon, CapnDan.

Quote Originally Posted by vanka123 View Post
    I think you may add my accuracy mod to a new update for your addon, CapnDan.
    Absolutely, will do, it'll be built in on next release.
    Thank you for offering.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnDan View Post
    Absolutely, will do, it'll be built in on next release.
    Thank you for offering.
    And rangers be more skillful than orc archer, right?

And rangers be more skillful than orc archer, right?
    I'd thought about that a bit but ran into the following problems:
    a)maintaining game balance - the balancing for lotrtw is actually fairly complex and done in great detail (unit cost vs. size vs. speed, armour type and strength, different attack values and bonuses) and at present it seems to work very well. Orc archers, for example, have a pretty good attack but very limited range and are basically useless in meele but in significant numbers they can present a real hassle (even when playing against the AI) because of their relatively high attack value. If we made them less accurate they would become pretty useless pretty quickly. The opposite is true for elven archers for example, while their accuracy is coded as the same, they have much greater range, move more quickly, (I think have a faster rate of fire), and do much more damage. Increasing their accuracy runs the risk of making them OP.
    b)not sure how many different projectile types are allowed (but I'm pretty sure it's limited) and
    c)managing those two above things well would probably be quite a bit of work as it'd likely require quite a bit of testing, trial and error, etc.

I would like to see increased accuracy from elite elven archers especially though (I've always been slightly bothered by their messy shotting ), so I'm thinking maybe of adding just a single additional projectile class for those units, slightly more accurate but not quite godlike accuracy perfection and then see if they need further balancing via cost increases or something.

I'd thought about that a bit but ran into the following problems:
    a)maintaining game balance - the balancing for lotrtw is actually fairly complex and done in great detail (unit cost vs. size vs. speed, armour type and strength, different attack values and bonuses) and at present it seems to work very well. Orc archers, for example, have a pretty good attack but very limited range and are basically useless in meele but in significant numbers they can present a real hassle (even when playing against the AI) because of their relatively high attack value. If we made them less accurate they would become pretty useless pretty quickly. The opposite is true for elven archers for example, while their accuracy is coded as the same, they have much greater range, move more quickly, (I think have a faster rate of fire), and do much more damage. Increasing their accuracy runs the risk of making them OP.
    b)not sure how many different projectile types are allowed (but I'm pretty sure it's limited) and
    c)managing those two above things well would probably be quite a bit of work as it'd likely require quite a bit of testing, trial and error, etc.

I would like to see increased accuracy from elite elven archers especially though (I've always been slightly bothered by their messy shotting ), so I'm thinking maybe of adding just a single additional projectile class for those units, slightly more accurate but not quite godlike accuracy perfection and then see if they need further balancing via cost increases or something.
    Yeah. It maybe a problem about the accuracy, but you can increase the accuracy of elven archer or ranger of the north a bit more. They may not skillfully like Legolas, but they must be more skillful than orc. Then it may looks better.
    You just increase the value of "accuracy_vs_unit to 0,9 or 1,0 for a quite good accuracy. If you decrease the value to 0,01 ( As legolas ) , you may not need to use melee troops because the archer can easy to take out all of enemy before they come for combat.
    About the orcs, we may not need to reduce the accurate, but we can reduce their damage or firing rate in export_descr_unit, I think you may know that.
    I have edited the firing rate of legolas:
    ( In export_descr_unit )
    stat_pri 22, 0, sharp_arrow, 170, 30, missile, archery, piercing, none, 25 ,1

to

stat_pri 22, 0, sharp_arrow, 170, 30, missile, archery, piercing, none, 25 ,0.5

and it seem working.

I think there is no limited projectile. We can create other projectiles with different accuracy.
    For Elite Elves, Elves, Ranger of the North, Master Ranger, Ithilien Ranger, Greenhill archer, Dol Armoth Archer,... Orc Archer.

About the orcs, we may not need to reduce the accurate, but we can reduce their damage or firing rate in export_descr_unit, I think you may know that.
    I have edited the firing rate of legolas:
    Rate of fire edits only work to reduce the extra delay added before loosing arrows, I'm pretty sure. The rate of fire is otherwise determined by the animations which are more tricky to change.

As for nerfing the orc and goblin archers, I actually remember having almost exactly this conversation with Bardo waaay back during beta tests (I also felt that orc archers were maybe a bit too strong). Bardo basically argued that from a gameplay perspective further weakening the orc archers would make them basically useless since they are already weak in hp, armour, and meele, AND their range is significantly less than even peasant/militia archers of most other factions. It was a convincing argument that left me inclined to agree.

Rate of fire edits only work to reduce the extra delay added before loosing arrows, I'm pretty sure. The rate of fire is otherwise determined by the animations which are more tricky to change.

As for nerfing the orc and goblin archers, I actually remember having almost exactly this conversation with Bardo waaay back during beta tests (I also felt that orc archers were maybe a bit too strong). Bardo basically argued that from a gameplay perspective further weakening the orc archers would make them basically useless since they are already weak in hp, armour, and meele, AND their range is significantly less than even peasant/militia archers of most other factions. It was a convincing argument that left me inclined to agree.
    Hmm. So what will you do on the next patch?

Hmm. So what will you do on the next patch?
    Well, while I'm not 100% decided or anything, I think the best, simplest (which often also means best ) compromise for the main game is something like I'd mentioned earlier; leave most things as they are but perhaps give a slight boost to accuracy for elite or highly specialized (mainly elven) archers and try to compensate with increased unit costs. I guess.

Well, while I'm not 100% decided or anything, I think the best, simplest (which often also means best ) compromise for the main game is something like I'd mentioned earlier; leave most things as they are but perhaps give a slight boost to accuracy for elite or highly specialized (mainly elven) archers and try to compensate with increased unit costs. I guess.
    Yes. I hope you will increase the accurate of Ranger of the North and Master Ranger too.

Yes. I hope you will increase the accurate of Ranger of the North and Master Ranger too.
    Yea, seems reasonable.
    I don't expect the next patch from me will be happening anytime soon but it's true that I can't resist tinkering away in the meantime.

If you do some testing with new setups and find something that works/balances well do let me know.

Yea, seems reasonable.
    I don't expect the next patch from me will be happening anytime soon but it's true that I can't resist tinkering away in the meantime.

If you do some testing with new setups and find something that works/balances well do let me know.
    Alright. But these day i'm working on export_descr_character_traits.txt to edit something.

Default Re: CapnDan Campaign Addon V2.6 -Updated!

Aaaand it's done! OP Updated with download link for Campaigns Addon V2.6 including the last of the long line of bug fixes and polishing AND the Numenor Campaign is finished!!!!!

Feedback of whatever sort would be much appreciated.

Cheers all.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: LotR-TW Campaigns Addon V2.6 -Updated!

Sorry but it CTDs at the starting loading screen for me (the one even before the main menu comes up) . No message shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Stath's View Post
    Sorry but it CTDs at the starting loading screen for me (the one even before the main menu comes up) . No message shows up.
    Dang.. thanks much for the note though, I'd not have know otherwise.
    I'll start looking again to see if I might have missed something. In the meantime, silly questions but do you have any other LotR-TW sub-mods installed (they don't play nice together) and tried installing the addon and then restart your computer?

Edit: Oh, also do you have " -show_err " on in the target line for launching the mod?

Edit Again: Just checked it on a full brand new clean install and it seems there's a problem I'd not noticed before having to do with an earlier attempt to add in a new culture for the Numenoreans. I'll clean up the release package and post a new one.

Thanks very much for the heads-up Sath's... sorry for the broken download...
    Last edited by CapnDan; February 09, 2016 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stath's View Post
    Well that's a little embarrassing, turns out I'd simply neglected to include a file that was changed in case a custom Numenor culture type was ever to be implemented...

The missing file is attached here just drop it into your " .../lotrtw/data " folder and the game should run just fine.

I'll also update the OP with a new pack including the missing file...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Halvar von Flake's Avatar Senator

Default Re: LotR-TW Campaigns Addon V2.6

Congratulations and thanks a lot for Numenor-release!!!!!!!!! I couldn't launch it yesterday but maybe with the new file...unfortunately, I won't have time for real testing during the next days...so feedback will come later...!

Halvar von Flake's Avatar Senator

Everything is working fine now! But no time left for a campaign at the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by Halvar von Flake View Post
    Everything is working fine now! But no time left for a campaign at the moment...
    Glad to hear it's working properly now.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Dang.. thanks much for the note though, I'd not have know otherwise.
    I'll start looking again to see if I might have missed something. In the meantime, silly questions but do you have any other LotR-TW sub-mods installed (they don't play nice together) and tried installing the addon and then restart your computer?

Edit: Oh, also do you have " -show_err " on in the target line for launching the mod?

Edit Again: Just checked it on a full brand new clean install and it seems there's a problem I'd not noticed before having to do with an earlier attempt to add in a new culture for the Numenoreans. I'll clean up the release package and post a new one.

Thanks very much for the heads-up Sath's... sorry for the broken download...
    Nope, i thank you for your excellent work . Some questions:

1) Which faction do you like to play most?

2) Recruiting units as Gondor (and some others) takes 2 or 3 turns. Doesn't that makes them too vulnerable?

3) Which difficulty level do you like most?

4) The Fellbeasts are not so powerful now, are they?