Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Campaigns Addon (for LotRTW v3.0+)

Default Re: LotR-TW Campaigns Addon V2.6 (for v3.0)

I understand your reasons. Since all good factions must destroy mordor to win the game, it is good to have some alternative ending. That was our reason to add the script that destroys mordor when Sauron is killed, or when the One Ring is destroyed. I see a good thing that you make an alternative script for numenor campaign.
    I remember that my main concern about those game-ending scripts was to avoid the possibility to win the game too soon by using them. In order to prevent premature endings I added 2 scripts that now I'm not liking very much: the invulnerability of Sauron until you conquer certain regions (I like much more your readjusted version), and the spawn of orc armies near Mount Doom when there are enemy armies around (I plan to readjust it myself so it is only triggered in the first stages of the campaign).

-If the player chooses to take the shortcut Aragorn and his stack are moved to the plains inside Mordor about halfway to Barad-Dur, a small supporting force of elves is spawned, and an impossibly large ambush force of Mordor also

-I'm thinking to make the ambush force composed of a handful of strong stacks near but not touching the two player armies and mostly commanded by generals with the 'static' trait so they don't just run off (for a few turns at least) - then have maybe two other stacks with generals who can move around and do as they please (maybe one commanded by a Sauron clone as long as real Sauron is still without the Ring and contained in his fortress - I will also disable the invincible Sauron scripts in this case)
    You may move Aragorn army directly near Barad-dur and force a battle against the real Sauron, so you do not need to clone it. Since you know the unique name of both commanders, you can give them reinforcements as you please. Or you may remove the trait that prevents Sauron from moving and use the scripts to move it out of Barad-dur and meet Aragorn midway (iirc, in the rometw tutorial they use this kind of scripts).

But I have forgotten many things about scripts, I guess you know now better what can be done and what not.
    Last edited by Bardo; March 12, 2018 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    ... and the spawn of orc armies near Mount Doom when there are enemy armies around (I plan to readjust it myself so it is only triggered in the first stages of the campaign).
    Haha! I've actually adjusted these quite a bit with the Addon but was never willing to completely get rid of them. Initially because I figured there must have been a good reason to have them, and then later they just became a thing I took for granted... Never even considered just removing them entirely!

You may move Aragorn army directly near Barad-dur and force a battle against the real Sauron...
    Already done for the Gondor and Rohan, wanted to try for something special for Numenor. Like a grand finale! ;P

I have finally finished my galadrim campaign. It is one of the few times that I have continued a campaign until all victory conditions are met. These new conditions looks more reasonable to me.
    In the first versions of our campaign, I used to stop playing because it soon became too easy, but this campaign was never easy, it was very challenging until the end. I needed 150 turns and I played several epic battles. I lost some of them and I even lost some settlements. Celeborn died while defending Dol Guldur in a battle where there was only one survival unit, and Haldir was ambused and killed while trying to free Rohan from Mordor domination. My last battle against Sauron was a bit dissapointing because I killed him with arrows from the back (not very fair I admit), but good battle against a full stack of orcs (and I had to win like 10 battles in the previous 10 turns until I reached this final battle at Barad-dur...).

As I said, the only thing I did not like was the huge amount of orc armies that forced me to play many repetitive battles, but that is mainly fault of my scripts as we commented. I'd also suggest to avoid units with 0 recruitment times for mordor, in order to encourage AI armies full of greater orcs in the final stages of the game. When there are lower orcs in an army, I find it too easy to make them flee and propagate the panic to the rest of units.

I just wanted to say that your changes seems to work, and I suggest everyone to try this addon if you plan to start new campaigns. If we release a new version, we will surely use this addon as reference.

Good job!
    Last edited by Bardo; March 13, 2018 at 08:40 AM.

I have finally finished my galadrim campaign. It is one of the few times that I have continued a campaign until all victory conditions are met.
    Nice!

In the first versions of our campaign, I used to stop playing because it soon became too easy, but this campaign was never easy, it was very challenging until the end. I needed 150 turns and I played several epic battles. I lost some of them and I even lost some settlements. Celeborn died while defending Dol Guldur in a battle where there was only one survival unit, and Haldir was ambused and killed while trying to free Rohan from Mordor domination. My last battle against Sauron was a bit dissapointing because I killed him with arrows from the back (not very fair I admit), but good battle against a full stack of orcs (and I had to win like 10 battles in the previous 10 turns until I reached this final battle at Barad-dur...).
    Cool, yes very happy to hear that was the result in the campaign!
    Part of the theory for randomly invincible Sauron was maybe to make this sort of thing less simple. I figure if there's a ~20% chance he'll be invincible in a given battle one might have to engage only to use up all their arrows and realize they'll need to escape! The only major problem I foresee with this revised approach though is having a 'no chance to retreat' battle within Mordor and your army just being destoyed rather than retreat - that could be annoying..

As I said, the only thing I did not like was the huge amount of orc armies that forced me to play many repetitive battles, but that is mainly fault of my scripts as we commented. I'd also suggest to avoid units with 0 recruitment times for mordor, in order to encourage AI armies full of greater orcs in the final stages of the game. When there are lower orcs in an army, I find it too easy to make them flee and propagate the panic to the rest of units.
    The scripted armies thing is a very useful feedback that I've tried to adjust down in the next version - it tends to be a tricky balance sometimes given how we know well the campaign AI doesn't always make all the best/most reasonable decisions.

About the lower level orcs present in later game armies. I may have to adjust, although I'm not exactly sure how I could at this point. I've always liked the idea of Mordor generally maintaining large stacks with lower level orcs strewn about here and there. It seemed to fit the lore and I preferred the style of having the player army of intrepid soldiers facing off against endless waves of orcs slowly breaking down your numbers. Much preferred it to facing off against later game Mordor armies of all top tier orc units with stats that are almost better than the main line infantry of human factions. I'd also introduced this as a playstyle challenge for Mordor players where hordes of low-tier units remains a very viable (maybe even a best) option even into the late game.

But all in all it's immensely gratifying to hear you enjoyed the campaign!

Halvar von Flake's Avatar Senator

Hello CapnDan and Bardo, I would like to play a new campaign but I have troubles installing Rome and ALX under Windows 10 System...can you give any advice to get them installed? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Managed to get LotR-TW installed via steam! Although I don't like steam I am happy to get my favourite mod running after a long break due to problems with my computer systems! Endless thanks to the LotR-TW-Team
    Wlesmana, Bardo, and Seth Krn3ll
    ! Especially to CapnDan still improving this awesome piece of modding!
    Last edited by Halvar von Flake; March 16, 2018 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halvar von Flake View Post
    EDIT: Managed to get LotR-TW installed via steam!
    Ah, seems I'm late to the game.
    Glad you got it working. If you're having problems at any point just try a google search of "rtw on Windows 10" you are apparently not the first person to have problems.

Thanks for advice, CapnDan! I guess I have to use annoying steam...Windows 10 is a destructive system trying to manipulate all non-conform installations with every update.

Right, Campaigns Addon v2.7_beta can be had at the link below:

http://www55.zippyshare.com/v/EHq1mHV6/file.html (use of an ad-blocker on this site is highly recommended from what I hear)

v2.7 consists almost entirely of incremental changes in line with what's already done (and mostly focused on improvement to the Return of Numenor Custom Campaigns). It's just Beta for now until some brave souls give it a try and can confirm that everything works fine and I've not foolishly neglected to include some file or something.

Tiro

I had started a mordor campaign, but couldnt resist playing dwarves again. Man feels so nice to be op It is a bit balanced in all honesty really, the initial shoestring budget and army is nicely tough, then the hordes you face mean you need tactics and maneuvering skills. AI wouldnt do so well anyway, with auto resolved battles as a big enough balancing factor. A problem i have was when about turn 100, i had cleared most of the misty mountains and was preparing to clear moria, the noldors attacked the blue mountain settlements. Use console to beat and them and script diplo forced peace, couldnt understand why they had attacked. At that point rohan was almost gone, dunmen were in the shire, gondor was just dol amroth and west, and the galadrims only had the eastern part of lorien forest.
    Pretty sure it is the default war of the ring campaign. Wish the good guys would try to fight evil.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhindo View Post
    A problem i have was when about turn 100, i had cleared most of the misty mountains and was preparing to clear moria, the noldors attacked the blue mountain settlements. Use console to beat and them and script diplo forced peace, couldnt understand why they had attacked. At that point rohan was almost gone, dunmen were in the shire, gondor was just dol amroth and west, and the galadrims only had the eastern part of lorien forest.
    Pretty sure it is the default war of the ring campaign. Wish the good guys would try to fight evil.
    The good guys do 'try' to fight evil. But the idea is the player controls the faction which makes all the difference.

As for the Noldor attack, most diplomacy scripts end around turn 100 on purpose, because the map is usually so changed by that point that the scripted alliances are less relevant. Or maybe it's better to suggest the elves just attacked just because they weren't happy about the smelly dwarves muscling in on their territory. ;P

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by CapnDan View Post
    The good guys do 'try' to fight evil. But the idea is the player controls the faction which makes all the difference.

As for the Noldor attack, most diplomacy scripts end around turn 100 on purpose, because the map is usually so changed by that point that the scripted alliances are less relevant. Or maybe it's better to suggest the elves just attacked just because they weren't happy about the smelly dwarves muscling in on their territory. ;P
    When 1/3 of the good nations are about dead and evil hordes are in or next to the their factions capitals, i wish the good factions wouldnt turn on other good factions as their first instinct
    Not asking for rail roading but at least maybe some longer leeway time in the war of the ring scenario or more condition flexibility.
    Last edited by jrhindo; March 18, 2018 at 04:29 PM.

When 1/3 of the good nations are about dead and evil hordes are in or next to the their factions capitals, i wish the good factions wouldnt turn on other good factions as their first instinct
    Not asking for rail roading but at least maybe some longer leeway time in the war of the ring scenario or more condition flexibility.
    That's what the forced diplomacy is for.

I installed your v2.7_beta and it seems to work. I have not played it yet, I just started a campaign to check that all files are in place.

@Halvar von Flake: I'm glad that you got it working on w10 too. It is good to see some of the old players still around .

I installed your v2.7_beta and it seems to work. I have not played it yet, I just started a campaign to check that all files are in place.
    Cool, glad to hear it. Thank you.

Might I suggest a Gondor or Rohan game in the 'Return of Numenor' provincial campaigns. The main story for these is only about 50 turns long and are defensively focused (with a cheapie little ending scripted in), basically can be played in one intense evening.
    ... eummm.. also these are the least tested and so most in need of additional testing.....

Tiro

Incidentaly tried to play v2.6 numenor campaign yesterday. Noticed numenor cant build roads and then crashed when taking Kibil-Dum (north blue mountains).

Incidentaly tried to play v2.6 numenor campaign yesterday. Noticed numenor cant build roads and then crashed when taking Kibil-Dum (north blue mountains).
    Yep, no roads for Numenor both because they don't fit the timeline for the campaign (desperate final struggle) and because the long travel times are in some way a feature supposed to force the player into making more, more difficult, strategic, decisions.

As for Kibil-Dum crash - there are common and well-know RTW bugs with taking settlements if:
    a) there is a reinforcing army that some part of escaped the battle but now cannot retreat into the settlement or
    b) occasionally if you have waited out a siege and there happens to be a named character in the settlement (particularly if they sally and survive)

Common solutions are:
    -Reload pre-battle savegame, play the battle in person and be sure to completely annihilate all defenders
    -Attack and auto-resolve
    -Sometimes just try the attack again

As for Kibil-Dum crash - there are common and well-know RTW bugs with taking settlements if:
    a) there is a reinforcing army that some part of escaped the battle but now cannot retreat into the settlement or
    b) occasionally if you have waited out a siege and there happens to be a named character in the settlement (particularly if they sally and survive)
    I only know one cause of CTD related to settlements (sieging army attacked by reinforcements from outside the city), could you elaborate what you know about these other cases? You may answer in the bug thread, where we recently talked about the crash cause that I know.

I only know one cause of CTD related to settlements (sieging army attacked by reinforcements from outside the city), could you elaborate what you know about these other cases? You may answer in the bug thread, where we recently talked about the crash cause that I know.
    It's nothing new same old same old and both related I would think. There's an occasional crash if you wait out siege with a named character in settlement.
    It's really so rare thought that I've never gone more into it.

Hi, can I try your submode? Old mirrors do not workor. Have a nice days

I had some awesome campaigns during the last weeks! In my current Galadhrim Campaign I encountered the Dunlending Gondor Spears for the first time! Very nice! Dunlendings have taken Dol Amroth and Dale is marching against the Black Gate...!