Thread: Question about generals in ACW 3.5 Beta

Libertus

Default Question about generals in ACW 3.5 Beta

Hello, after much frustration, time and effort, I’ve recently succeeded in inducing my Windows 7 OS into tolerating the presence of ACW. Suffice it to say, the mod has surpassed all of my expectations in its level of detail and majestic historical grandeur; it has really captured the spirit of the era. I am concerned however, that I may have a minor problem. I cannot recruit (or “promote” from regular units) the typical generic ETW style generals. Is this feature not available in ACW? I can understand not incorporating the generic generals from ETW, as it might compromise the historical accuracy by generating a multitude of historically anachronistic general officers, but I just wanted to confirm that was indeed the case. Thanks again for creating this brilliantly conceived mod, it is truly a masterpiece which reflects the professionalism and skill of its creators.

Libertus

Default Re: Question about generals in ACW 3.5 Beta

OK, after having thoroughly searched the threads in the ACW main section, I encountered a post which seems to indicate that only proper, historically accurate, named generals are featured in ACW.

I would like to be able to alter the maximum unit capacity for the general officers, so as to allow recruitment of more than just a few of them in the course of the war. I am somewhat familiar with the editing process which permits manipulation of the data contained in the bg_db.pack file via the Pack File Manager utility, though I can never actually activate the changes I make in game after tinkering with data through that program. I know there is another thread here which pertains in part to what I’m inquiring about, though it doesn’t really provide much technical advice on how to properly proceed with editing or how to successfully save the changes made to the bd_db.pack file. If anyone has any familiarity with this process, I humbly solicit your guidance and advice. Thanks for reading.

Trig's Avatar Centenarius

The next release should include more generals, more detailed officers, etc anyhow, so you shouldn't be terribly worried about this.

click banner for ModDB page and all ACW versions download links

Libertus

Hello again my friend. Thank you once more for your personal attention to these minor concerns of mine. Please do not construe my request as any manifestation of criticism towards the brilliantly conceived mod that ACW truly is. I would just like to have more generals for my own personal reasons, considering the relatively high mortality of the leading officers during my campaign. I know you said before that coding wasn’t really your strong suit, but do you have any familiarity with how to effectuate the changes made via the PFM utility? I’m fairly certain that I’m editing the files correctly and changing the proper parameters which correspond with maximum build count per unit, I just can’t seem to get these alterations to show up in campaign. I humbly beseech your wise guidance and counsel, yet again sir.

Make sure you disable submods in the launcher and exit the launcher with "vanilla ready", then edit files, then run the launcher again. This way the files in the mod folder will be copied into the game with your latest changes.

Libertus

You are as wise as you are helpful sir. I will implement your suggestion later tonight when I have time and report back my results. Thank you again.

Libertus

I have a quick question; would it be necessary to start a new campaign for me to actually see the changes I made via the PFM editor, or would they appear in a saved game that I loaded?

Libertus

OK I’m still not seeing any changes despite starting a new campaign. I shall renew my efforts tomorrow. You wouldn’t by chance know how soon we can expect the release of the next permutation of ACW would you?

No sooner than it's done, I'm afraid. And now with basically only pappagoat (coding) and myself (graphics, models) working on it, it might take a while yet.