Page 45 of 56 FirstFirst ... 20353637383940414243444546474849505152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: Shogun II Total Realism [Beta 15.10.02 released]

Default Re: Shogun II Total Realism [Beta 15.10.02 released]

Hi Destin, nice to see someone is giving a little love to the Shogun 2 realism aspect.

I tried out your mod and generally it is very nice and refreshing. I am playing only base campaign and have a few doubts about balance. First of all the ranged units are "jack of all trades" - their slow reload is at now compensated with high lethality of single volley but what is worse is their exceptional fighting skills. At now it is quite safe to field armies packed with sole archers or gunners as the approching yari will get a punch and when they get to you, sword wielding missile troops overwhelm them no matter what. Higher base stats of attack and defense for katana infantry means that if the enemy won't be facing the spear wall ideally on your front, or won't use it at all, will be easily defeated. What is even worse cavalry can not help you anyway in this situation unless used extremly caucious. Charging bow ashigaru against Guard cav is usually ashigaru win scenario.

It is certainly good that bow ashigaru is not killed in seconds and routed as in vanilla but apart from higher morale they should not be that though. At now you don't need to care for them as they're doing good on their own.

I look forward to the change in rate of fire as higher is certainly better, while decreasing effectiveness of one volley.

I am a big fan of Stainless Steel and both Jam's mods for Empire and Napoleon. I hope that this od will become my favourite for Shogun 2.

Artifex

I've created new battle mechanics that will hopefully get rid of all the aforementioned flaws. One new addition is the use of the "armour piercing melee attack" flag for polearm-wielding troops which ignores 50% of the enemy's armour.
    Currently, I'm rebuilding the mod and I've finished the units and uniforms tables. Now I'm tweaking the projectiles.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

Hister's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Destin Faroda View Post
    I've created new battle mechanics that will hopefully get rid of all the aforementioned flaws. One new addition is the use of the "armour piercing melee attack" flag for polearm-wielding troops which ignores 50% of the enemy's armour.
    Currently, I'm rebuilding the mod and I've finished the units and uniforms tables. Now I'm tweaking the projectiles.
    That's very good news! How does the new battle system play different from the already published old one?

One other question reagrding Da Vinci's S2 Realism +. How much speed reduction did he use for cavalry and how much for infantry? If you maybe remember/know that.
    PROUD MEMBER OF PAENINSULA ITALICA TEAM

For M2TW PI forum click here.
    For RTW PI forum click here.

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Hister View Post
    That's very good news! How does the new battle system play different from the already published old one?
    Difficult to say. Currently, I'm preoccupied with finding the perfect damage value for arrows. When that is done, I could upload a test version. This way, you would be able to help me identify all the flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Hister View Post
    One other question reagrding Da Vinci's S2 Realism +. How much speed reduction did he use for cavalry and how much for infantry? If you maybe remember/know that.
    Walk speed: 2.1
    Run speed: 10 (12 for yari)
    Charge speed: 12 (14 for yari cavalry)
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism

Difficult to say. Currently, I'm preoccupied with finding the perfect damage value for arrows. When that is done, I could upload a test version. This way, you would be able to help me identify all the flaws.

Walk speed: 2.1
    Run speed: 10 (12 for yari)
    Charge speed: 12 (14 for yari cavalry)
    OK I can do some tests but have in mind I own only Shogun 2 and am without the other two major expansions for the game and also that I can devout very little time for gaming and game testing at the moment until the beginning of June.

I find DVinci's walking/running speed for infantry and cavalry too fast especially after playing your mod. Where is the file/section where I can change those speeds manually and what program/s do I need to have to be able to do so? Never modded Shogun 2, only Rome Total war so have no clue what I'm getting into. And please also reference those same speeds from your mod and vanilla so that I have a general reference point.

Am afraid to broke the careful balancing DaVinci envisioned by changing the movement speed ie. maybe breaking the intended number of volleys before the actual contact but I might give it a try nevertheless.

Thank you very much.

Artifex

If you only want to change some values, the Pack File Manager should suffice.

These are the values I use for the Sengoku jidai ponies:
    Walk speed: 4 m/s
    Run speed: 6 m/s
    Charge speed: 8 m/s

For infantry, I use different values for self-defined battle entities:
    Souhei: 1,5 ms - 2 m/s - 2,5 m/s
    Ashigaru: 1,4 m/s - 1,9 m/s - 2,4 m/s
    Samurai: 1,3 m/s - 1,8 m/s - 2,3 m/s
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism

If you only want to change some values, the Pack File Manager should suffice.

These are the values I use for the Sengoku jidai ponies:
    Walk speed: 4 m/s
    Run speed: 6 m/s
    Charge speed: 8 m/s

For infantry, I use different values for self-defined battle entities:
    Souhei: 1,5 ms - 2 m/s - 2,5 m/s
    Ashigaru: 1,4 m/s - 1,9 m/s - 2,4 m/s
    Samurai: 1,3 m/s - 1,8 m/s - 2,3 m/s
    OK, great, thank you!

The thing with your mod Faroda is that I think it limits the choices the player can make. It indeed makes it the most hardcore historical mod but might take some fun out of the game for players I think. I don't like how you deleted the tech tree out of the game completely. I know historically no major investments into technology innovations were present there but maybe you could think of the way of making the tech tree a somewhat focus/policy tree instead? Don't know what kind of stuff would be put in but I'm sure you would come up with some nice ideas.

I find your combat model to be the best out of all I tried (minus the issues with archers) due to reasonable length of fighting that takes place in the battles. That's really a huge turn on for me to play your mod. You also have battle map movement speed which is much better then what other mods provide - I am only set back by the animations not in synch with your running speeds especially uphill. That looks silly and I would as I said personally change it to be less realistic and more in line with what the game can still pull off.

I think Da Vinci found a nice middle road when it comes to campaign gameplay in his Realism + mod. What I really miss in it is the way how battle mechanics work in your mod. I also tried Master of Strategy mod but while I love many aspects of it (albeit many arcade ones) it also misses your amazing combat system length and battle map movement speeds. Not to say it's campaign is not balanced at all and should be considered a beta at large. So I'm now torn apart by having all this nice mods available but not knowing which one to pick for a serious campaign session due to each one missing something that I like in the other. I'm way past the modding years of my life (when you are a student it seems to be the prime time for doing that) to either have the time or the skill to undergo modding the game myself.

OK, enough ranting.

Looking forward to trying out your redesigned combat aspects of the game.

CORRECTION: FotS is crashing whenever I load battles with Kihetai in it. Ignore the unedited version of this post, I thought I'd tested it properly but as it turns out, it's the kihetai who cause the game to crash at the loading screen.
    Last edited by Broreale; May 09, 2016 at 12:05 AM.

How long are the battles compared to DarthMod ? thanks
    Empire Total War Imperial Destroyer MOD videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qHwf...o1jzaF1nzdfd1A

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by tono4850 View Post
    How long are the battles compared to DarthMod ? thanks
    I don't know how long Darthmod's battles are, but I strive for long melees that actually allow you to pull off some maneuvers.

Currently, I'm still testing the arrows. Right now, although I've significantly lowered the arrow damage, they're still too lethal. Now I'm increasing the spread.
    Besides, I finally managed to fix armour piercing weapons. Now they are actually more dangerous than normal ones. In the past, due to misunderstanding the armour penetration values in _kv_rules, ap weapons were actually weaker than normal ones.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism

Hey, nice work so far!

Is it possible to obtain the latest beta for playtesting?

I'll be able to play it some in June.

You plan to update this one?

Artifex

I've uploaded the current version which allows you to test the new combat mechanics. Regarding ranged weapons, only arrows and matchlocks have been altered. Spread values are much higher than before, but arrows and bullets are still lethal.
    Sorry for the slow progress, but working and travelling eats most of my free time. Maybe after AMD Zen and Polaris have been released, I might buy a decent laptop which would allow me to mod while sitting in the train.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism

Its this on the first page?

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Alma69 View Post
    Its this on the first page?
    Yes. It's still a bit rough around the edges, but it works.
    By the way, there are two new units: naginata and nagamaki samurai. They're going to be regional special units for Echizen and Kantou.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism

I've just reinstalled shogun 2 and I'd really like to try your mod but I seem to encounter a problem installing your mod...it seems some of the mods don't work. Units rout easily like vanilla shogun, campaign does not start at 1570 like it should be, and as per the description there should not be a research tree but mine does. Did I miss something like perhaps a misstep installing your mod???

Artifex

Campaigns are not yet supported.

And I totally forgot to mention that you need to alter unit experience levels in custom battle mode:
    Shimobe: XP level 1
    Ashigaru/Souhei/Line Infantry/Modern cavalry: XP level 2
    Gennin/Boshin guard units: XP level 3
    Samurai/Bushi: XP level 4
    I'm thinking about creating clones of the standard troops that are only used in custom battle mode. This way, you won't have to set xp levels of custom battle units.
    Last edited by Destin Faroda; May 31, 2016 at 01:14 PM.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism

So this mode is not working at all?