Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: For King and Country (Great Britain AAR) [Updated: November 10, 2015]

Default Re: For King and Country (Great Britain AAR) [Updated: December 22, 2014]

Chapter XXXIII: The Persian Expedition

The war with the Mughals was over, but the conflict was not yet completely settled. Persia, poor and desolate but loyal, had joined its Indian ally at the outbreak of hostilities. Shielded by the vastness of the Mughal Empire, it had been spared the bloodshed suffered by the other belligerents. When the peace treaty was signed in the late spring of 1731, the Persians began to breath easy. Their sense of relief would prove to be premature.

Following the conclusion of the war, the British armies that had fought in India were dissolved, and the regiments spread out along the borders to dissuade ambitious Mughal lords from taking action. Persia was deemed too weak to put up any considerably resistance, and thus, only a small expeditionary force was assembled. It consisted mainly of elements of the old 1st Army, with Carter's Raiders and two batteries of 24-pounders drawn from the 3rd. Placed under the reliable command of Sir William Pepperrell, the force landed on the shore of Balluchistan at the end of summer.

Balluchistan was the only territory still under direct Persian control. The rest had fallen to the Ottoman Empire as it expanded east all the way into Afghanistan. Confident that he would not encounter any serious threats, Sir William marched his expeditionary army towards Zahedan, the captial of Persia. The first few days were uneventful, but as the British troops broke camp and left the village of Sarabaz where they had billeted for the night, scouts returned with reports of a large Persian army approaching from the north. Sir William ordered his men to dig in.

Battle of Sarabaz, 1731

Commander: Major General Sir William Pepperrell
    Artillery: 4 batteries of 24-pdr cannon
    Cavalry: 1st Horse Guards, 3rd Light Dragoons (Carter's Raiders), 5th Light Dragoons
    Infantry: 1st Foot (Old One), 2nd Foot, 11th Foot, 42nd Highlanders, 1st Rifles

Numerically, the Persians had the advantage, but they were poorly armed. Muskets were few and reserved for those of higher status. The rest, 6000 men in total, had to do with swords and axes. Facing them was the very elite of the British army. These were men who had fought against France and Spain. Men who had braved the frontier and defeated the native tribes of America. Men who had brought the mighty Mughal Empire to its knees. They were veterans, armed with experience and the latest weapons that technology could provide.

The advantage it gave them became painfully clear to the enemy. When a mounted Persian scouting party came striding across the dunes and into view of the British, the 1st Rifles opened fire at long range. The high accuracy of their Baker rifles brought down the riders before they had a chance to get close enough to defend themselves. Devastated by the heavy losses suffered, the Persian scouts turned around and fled in panic.

There was no time to celebrate as Sir William's own scouts, the 3rd & 5th Light Dragoons signaled the approach of the Persian infantry. Although not visible from the British position, the redcoats could hear them; a deep rumble of feet against the ground and thousands of voices carried by the wind. Tension escalated as the noise drew closer and closer. Soon, figures on horses appeared in the distance. It was the dragoons. They fired their carbines and fell back. The echoing crackle of the discharged weapons died out and everything seemed to fall quiet. A few seconds later, the horizion came alive as thousands upon thousands of Persian soldiers flooded forward.

Presented with a clear target, the British heavy guns began bombarding the advancing enemy with round shot and shrapnel. Casualties were terrible, but the Persians pushed on. As they got closer to the British line, rifle fire added to their misery. Hundreds fell to the vicious barrage, staining the soil of the land with blood. Still the attack went on. The riflemen, their green uniforms dirty from sand and burnt powder, kept reloading and shooting for as long as they dared, before falling back behind the regular infantry. Single well aimed shots were replaced by the inaccurate but deadly hail of lead produced by massed volleys.

The British troops remained disciplined despite the horde of enemies coming at them. Officers paced calmly back and forth, shouting orders which the veteran soldiers carried out with the outmost efficiency. Morale was high, for the men could see that the resolve of their foe was wearing thin. Signs of desperation among the Persian ranks got ever more apparent, as losses continued to mount. Yet, sheer weight of numbers allowed them to reach the British position and engage the redcoats.

On the right, highlanders and dragoons fought hard to keep the flank from folding. Several times, they were pushed back, but each time, they regained the lost ground in brave counterattacks. The center held firm, and the enemy never got close enough to pose a threat. On the left, however, pressure increased rapidly. Here, the defending 11th Foot resisted bitterly against overwhelming numbers. It was a costly resistance. The soldiers of the regiment, known as the Pepperrells because of the close bond they had developed with their General, were all highly courageous, but the losses they suffered were pushing them rapidly towards the breaking point.

Sir William, seeing "his boys" being cut to pieces, gathered the cavalry. Like at Arcot, Pepperrell personally led a charge to relieve the beleaguered 11th. The 1st Rifles, moving to support the left flank, joined in the effort. Together, they forced the enemy to retreat in disorder. The effect spread across the entire front and the Persian attack broke down completely.

The British struck up an unrelenting pursuit, chasing the enemy all the way to Zahedan. Sultan Hoseyn I panicked. Fearing that the redcoats would sack the city, he agreed to all terms put forth. Had he known the actual condition of the British force, he might have been less eager to concede to the demands, but Sir William had kept up a facade of resolute strength. In truth, his men were nearing exhaustion from the sweltering heat. The ruse worked and the Persians surrendered. The conditions to which they surrendered were harsh. Although Hoseyn I would remain the leader of his nation, he was forced to grant the British unlimited access to all Persian land. With the treaty in place, Sir William moved his troops away from Zahedan and established a garrison on the border to Sindh, a northern region of the Mughal Empire.

With the situation in Persia under control, Britain resumed work on the rearrangement of its forces. India needed to be adequately garrisoned, but events in Europe called for more troops as well. Reports from spies operating in Sweden told of a Russian army striking the Swedish west coast. In the east, Poland continued on its path of conquest, capturing Anatolia, while Russia had moved into Azerbajan. George Wade, now a Lieutenant General, was called back to Britain to help organise the home troops.

The recruitment of soldiers and the construction of new warships continued throughout the following years. Training was not enough, however. The men needed real life experience. With this in mind, Wade drew up a plan and presented it to the Secretary at War, Ulysses Conant. After a few meetings and some revisions, Wade's plan was accepted and preparations began for a new expedition.

To be continued...

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: For King and Country (Great Britain AAR) [Updated: December 22, 2014]

Glad to see another update and it was a good one! Nice job against the Persians! Interesting to see England jump into another war. Are you allied with Sweden? Or are you just trying to make sure the Poles and the Russian don't become too powerful? + rep
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Great stuff, yet again brilliant battle descriptions. If you're about to go to war with Russia and Poland by god I can't wait. That is going to be one great war, one I'm not even entirely sure Great and Glorious Britannia can win. To answer your question Scottish King, I'm fairly sure he is allied with Sweden or at lease fairly close to them diplomatically.

Default Re: For King and Country (Great Britain AAR) [Updated: February 9, 2014]

Quote Originally Posted by IneptCmdr View Post

He stopped for a moment next to one of them. It was a young boy, no older than 16, his blond hair stained with blood and his bayonet still firmly planted in the neck of a fallen warrior. Next to him lay an old sergeant of the 10th. A gruesome snapshot of a hard-fought battle. McDowell took a deep breath and continued on.

To be continued...
    Sorry to bring this back up, I just stumbled on the AAR recently but this is just awesome. You could make a movie out of this and I would watch it. Excellent stuff.

Default Re: For King and Country (Great Britain AAR) [Updated: February 9, 2014]

Quote Originally Posted by CromwellCruiser View Post
    Excellent stuff.
    Indeed. I love how game related details harmonize with romance details.
    I'm anxious to see how that european struggle is going to end. Mother Russia shall not fall easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish King View Post
    Glad to see another update and it was a good one! Nice job against the Persians! Interesting to see England jump into another war. Are you allied with Sweden? Or are you just trying to make sure the Poles and the Russian don't become too powerful? + rep
    I'm allied with Sweden and the Ottoman Empire. If they disappear there will be no friendly nations left, since pretty much every one else hates Britain. Although I'm not involved in the war just yet, I will have to intervene soon so that I don't lose my allies and also to make sure Poland and Russia don't grow to strong. They already control half of Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    Great stuff, yet again brilliant battle descriptions. If you're about to go to war with Russia and Poland by god I can't wait. That is going to be one great war, one I'm not even entirely sure Great and Glorious Britannia can win.
    The war is inevitable and it will indeed be a tough one. Hopefully I'll have enough time to redeploy my troops first though. Most of the veterans are tied up in India right now, keeping the Mughals in check.

Quote Originally Posted by CromwellCruiser View Post
    Sorry to bring this back up, I just stumbled on the AAR recently but this is just awesome. You could make a movie out of this and I would watch it. Excellent stuff.
    Thank you very much CromwellCruiser! I'm glad you're enjoying the AAR.

Quote Originally Posted by divilly View Post
    Indeed. I love how game related details harmonize with romance details.
    I'm anxious to see how that european struggle is going to end. Mother Russia shall not fall easily.
    The Russians won't go down without a fight, that's for sure. It's going to take a lot of effort to defeat them.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Excellent chapter, as always (I liked the moment when Sir William led a charge to assist the Pepperrells and the way that the British bluffed Sultan Hoseyn I into accepting the treaty).

Like Merchant of Venice, I can't wait to see how Britain handles this inevitable war. You mentioned the need to redeploy your veterans in India. Of course, redeploying troops from India, even using copper-bottomed ships with top-gallants, would normally take a long time. I wonder if Britain is considering sending troops overland through Persia, taking advantage of your new treaty with Sultan Hoseyn I (and land belonging to your Ottoman allies), to attack Russia's eastern frontier (admittedly, overland journeys through Persia tend to take a long time, as well.)
    Last edited by Alwyn; January 01, 2015 at 02:50 AM.

Default Re: For King and Country (Great Britain AAR) [Updated: January 18, 2015]

Overview of the Empire and the World 1733

Spoiler for Great Britain

While peace has settled over western Europe, war is raging in the east. The Moscow-Warsaw Alliance has allowed the Russian Empire and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth to expand dramatically. Georgia, Dagestan and the Crimean Khanate have all been crushed under the heels of Russian soldiers. In northern Africa, Polish forces have swept away the Barbary States and taken control of towns and ports along the coast. The once mighty Ottoman Empire has lost much territory, including the city of Istanbul, but is still fighting back, thanks in large part to generous British contributions of money and material.

The situation in America has remained virtually unchanged. The only territory to have switched hands is the former Mughal colony of Dutch Guyana which was captured by Great Britain at the beginning of the Anglo-Mughal War. With the pirate threat neutralised by the Royal Navy, and the few remaining native tribes seemingly having accepted the new borders, conflict in the west is unlikely.

The war between Great Britain and the Mughal Empire has reshaped the map of India. After having been forced off the mainland in the initial stage of the conflict, British forces struck back with grim determination, recapturing all lost territory. In addition, the regions of Mysore, Hyderabad and Bengal were also conquered after much bloody fighting. Although the war has since ended, tension between to the two rulers of India is still running high.

Default Re: For King and Country (Great Britain AAR) [Updated: January 18, 2015]

It's helpful to see the 'big picture'. The maps show how powerful Russia and the Poland-Lithuanian Commonwealth have become. With tensions in India, I wonder what will happen if Britain is forced to fight in India and Europe.

Default Re: For King and Country (Great Britain AAR) [Updated: January 24, 2015]

Chapter XXXIV: Shattered Plans

After the end of the Anglo-Mughal War, Great Britain moved its focus to eastern Europe where the members of the Moscow-Warsaw Alliance waged war against the Ottoman Empire and Sweden. In the years that followed, Lt General George Wade and Secretary at War Ulysses Conant drew up plans for a military operation in that theater. Both men knew that taking on Russia and Poland simultaneously would be too daunting a task for the British army, even with the new regiments that were being raised. They needed a way to isolate one of the two.

Studying the diplomatic relations of the hostile states, Wade and Conant found a possible opening where they could strike. The Duchy of Courland on the Baltic coast had long been a protectorate of Poland. However, it did not have a strong relation with Russia. Attacking Courland should force Poland to declare war while Russia would most likely remain neutral. It seemed a sound strategy, and the plan was adopted.

The main attack was scheduled for early 1734. In addition, a smaller operation in America would also be carried out. As the preceding winter approached, a British force left Pennsylvania and sailed south, landing in Curaçao some days later. Its mission was to secure the island so that it could be used as a springboard for an upcoming attack on the Leeward Islands which were under Polish control. As the redcoats marched ashore, they were met by a large mob. Curaçao was the last of the free ports in the Caribbean and its inhabitants would not let it be taken without a fight.

Battle of Curaçao, 1733

Commander: Brigadier General Jarvis Pickard
    Artillery: 4 batteries of 6-pdr horse artillery
    Cavalry: 3rd Horse, 4th Horse, 1st Light Dragoons
    Infantry: 31st Foot, 33rd Foot, 34th Foot, 35th Foot, 40th Foot, 3rd Rangers

The British soldiers and the armed citizens observed each other at a distance while General Pickard tried to negotiate with his adversary, Nikolaas Winthorp. It proved futile. Winthorp was an eccentric and, in Pickard's mind, unresonable man. He had been a captain in the Dutch garrison at Curaçao before the fall of the United Provinces. Witnessing the rise of the British Empire while his own country crumbled had bred within him a deep hatred for the redcoats. Because of this he refused to agree to any terms, leaving Pickard no option but to attack.

The 40th Foot, the first regiment to have been raised in America, was ordered to advance. Together with the Scottish 33rd Foot, it moved quickly ahead, narrowly avoiding enemy artillery fire. The two regiments were flanked on the right by rangers and light dragoons who prevented Winthorp's personal cavalry from counterattacking. Winthorp himself was severly wounded early on by a bullet fired from a ranger's musket, but he continued to lead his men despite bleeding profusely.

The advancing British troops quickly overran the enemy artillery and then turned their attention to the infanry. Discipline won the day, as volley after volley ripped through the ranks of poory organised citizens. They fought bravely, but could not hold their ground against well-trained soldiers. When the British 31st, 34th & 35th Foot appeared on their right flank, they broke. By this time, Winthorp was moments away from death and could not rally his fleeing army.

A cavalry charge swept away the last remaining elements of resistance. Pickard had captured Curaçao, and to the abhorrence of the population, set up his headquarters in the old town hall in Punda. There he awaited the order to launch the planned attack on Leeward Islands. The order never came.

As the year was drawing to a close, British forces in India were on the move. In Balluchistan, Sir William had received reinforcements and was ready to march north towards Ottoman territory. Farther south, two armies, commanded by Eli Jacob and Harbottle Gallatin respectively, were heading for the coast to set sail for Europe. The entire enterprise was halted by the sudden news that Mughal troops were crossing the borders in great numbers.

Through a ring of spies, Ahmad I, ruler of the Mughal Empire, had learned of the British plan to draw men from its Indian garrisons for the upcoming campaign against Poland. Ahmad's orders had been to wait until the redcoats left the subcontinent before attacking, but his army commanders grew to eager. After the intial confusion among the British ranks had subsided, Jacob and Gallatin sprung into action. Gallatin's army returned to Hyderabad while Jacob marched his men towards Satara. The last report from the city indicated that it was beeing surrounded by several thousand enemy soldiers. The second Anglo-Mughal War had begun.

To be continued...

Default Re: For King and Country (Great Britain AAR) [Updated: January 24, 2015]

Oh, I hope this plan can be revived soon.

Crush those damn Mughals, I say! They will pay with blood.

I await eagerly the next Anglo-Mughal war.

An excellent chapter, as always. It sounds like Britain has a sound strategy for fighting Poland without taking on Russia. Even if that strategy works, your helpful overview shows that Poland alone would be a powerful opponent. Poland's territory in Europe is vast compared to Britain's and I remember (from playing a campaign as Poland-Lithuania) that they have a good roster of units. In India, I wonder how effective the Mughal Empire's army will be - will they throw large numbers of poorly trained soldiers into battle and rely on numbers alone, or do they have effective units, tactics and generals? I look forward to finding out!

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

I've just caught up with this, and I'm glad I did - I'm really enjoying it! I occasionally find (in other writing) that I struggle to follow what's going on during battles, but your descriptions of battles are very clear. Your excellent screenshots help with that, too. You also convey the feel of each battle well, I think.

Like everybody else, I'll be keeping an eye out for the next instalment.

Quote Originally Posted by divilly View Post
    Oh, I hope this plan can be revived soon.
    I hope so too. Fighting the Mughals was not what I had planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    Crush those damn Mughals, I say! They will pay with blood.

I await eagerly the next Anglo-Mughal war.
    No mercy shall be shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    An excellent chapter, as always. It sounds like Britain has a sound strategy for fighting Poland without taking on Russia. Even if that strategy works, your helpful overview shows that Poland alone would be a powerful opponent. Poland's territory in Europe is vast compared to Britain's and I remember (from playing a campaign as Poland-Lithuania) that they have a good roster of units. In India, I wonder how effective the Mughal Empire's army will be - will they throw large numbers of poorly trained soldiers into battle and rely on numbers alone, or do they have effective units, tactics and generals? I look forward to finding out!
    Poland will be a tough enemy even on its own. Hopefully the swift expansion has stretched their forces thin. The attack on Poland will have to wait though, until the Mughals have been defeated. They have several huge armies crossing into British India. I'm not sure of the quality of their troops but they do have the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh View Post
    I've just caught up with this, and I'm glad I did - I'm really enjoying it! I occasionally find (in other writing) that I struggle to follow what's going on during battles, but your descriptions of battles are very clear. Your excellent screenshots help with that, too. You also convey the feel of each battle well, I think.

Like everybody else, I'll be keeping an eye out for the next instalment.
    Thank you Caillagh!

Just rediscovered this--I really need to put this thread on alerts . Once again fantastic stuff! Glad to see you're sticking with your AAR unlike some other really brilliant ones I've seen. Lovely pictures and sterling commentary--this story is shaping up to become something akin to the epics LOL

Default Re: For King and Country (Great Britain AAR) [Updated: May 13, 2015]

Chapter XXXV: Clouds Over India

A haunting darkness was engulfing the Indian subcontinent. War had been declared. In the tail end of 1733, the Mughal Empire invaded British held territory, thwarting Britain's plan to send men to fight in Europe. The long columns of redcoated soldiers that had passed south through the region of Bijapur only a week earlier, were now heading back the same way. Leading this army was Major General Eli Jacob. In the first Anglo-Mughal War he had lost the city of Satara to the enemy and later recaptured it in a costly siege of his own. Now, he was heading back to defend it anew.

Fifth Siege of Satara, 1733

Commander: Major General Eli Jacob
    Artillery: 4 batteries of 24-pdr cannon, 1 battery of puckle guns
    Cavalry: 1st Dragoon Guards, 2nd Dragoon Guards, 2nd Horse Guards, 2nd Dragoons, 2nd Light Dragoons
    Infantry: 7th Foot, 8th Foot (Iron Regiment), 9th Foot, 16th Foot, 18th Foot (Royal Irish), Coldstream Guards, 3rd Foot Guards, 5th Light Infantry, 2nd Rifles

As Jacob's army closed in on Satara, the sound of guns could be heard. The city garrison, composed of Company troops, was already heavily engaged with the enemy. Cannon and mortars blasted the walls, while rockets screamed through the air and crashed mercilessly among the defenders. Outside, Mughal infantry prepared for the assault. "There must be ten thousand of them!" exclaimed an officer of Jacob's staff. He was not far off. Ghazi-ud-din Singh, the Mughal commander whom Jacob had defeated at the Battle of Kendrapara, was leading the attack. Still convinced that the only way to fight the British was to use their own tactics against them, Singh had managed to talk Ahmad I into arming as many soldiers as possible with muskets. As a result, Singh had almost 4000 men equipped with the expensive but effective weapon. He also had an additional 5000 men wielding more traditional Mughal arms.

The huge numerical advantage of the Mughal army quickly proved devastating for the defenders as the walls were overrun in mere minutes. The attack pushed farther and farther into the city, sweeping away any attempt to stop it. Panic-stricken soliders of the East India Company tried desperately to escape the slaughter, but there were nowhere for them to run. The enemy poured in from every direction, blocking all paths. Only Jacob and his men could save their trapped comrades, but they were unable to break through the outer Mughal perimeter. It was not for a lack of trying though.

Since arriving outside the city, General Jacob had thrown his men against the defencive emplacement of the besiegers. The British soldiers fought hard, but despite numerous attacks, the enemy did not give in. A lack of organisation, stemming from Jacob's eagerness to push through, did not help the British cause. He ordered the battalions into battle, one at a time, as they entered the field in marching formation. This gave the Mughals enough time to strengthen their lines in response. Aided by the increased number of muskets in their ranks, they brought the redcoats to a standstill. It became a battle of attrition in which the Mughal army had the numbers and held the better ground. Under a deadly barrage of musket fire, the British troops withered away. The 7th Foot, the first regiment to be fully commited, had suffered such losses that it had, in effect, ceased to exist. Despite this, Jacob refused to order a retreat. He kept sending new men to replace the dead and wounded, clinging on to the desperate hope of breaking the enemy.

Frustrated over the lack of progress, Jacob dispatched cavalry to try and disrupt the enemy long enough for the infantry to gain a better position. At first, it was successful. The charge broke through the front line of Mughal soldiers and inflicted heavy casualties. However, a massive counterattack quickly surrounded the British riders and brought them down in their hundreds. The 1st & 2nd Dragoon Guards, 2nd Horse Guards and two squadrons of Company lancers were utterly destroyed. Only a handful of regular and light dragoons survived. Unable to continue the fight, they withdrew from the field. Having crushed the cavalry, the Mughal counterattack turned against the British infantry, still trying to maneuver into a more advantageous position.

With the cavalry charge ending in disaster and the infantry being pushed back, Jacob was forced to admit defeat. Satara was, by now, fully in enemy hands, and the British force did not have enough strength to liberate the city. Thanks to a stubborn rearguard action by the Iron Regiment and 3rd Foot Guards, the redcoats managed to slip away from the fading battle. The failure to bring the Mughal siege to an end was a heavy blow for Jacob. Twice, he had defended Satara, and both times, the city had been lost. It was bad for morale and it was bad for his image. Not only were the men doubting their leader's ability, but at British high command, confidence in the General was rapidly diminishing as well.

While the devastated army trudged south, an emergency meeting was held in Arcot during which a plan to counter the Mughal invasion was rushed through. Daniel Hamilton, Governor for India, wanted confirmation from London, but a reply would take far too long to arrive. Immediate action needed to be taken, and Hamilton was forced to approve the new strategy without the backing of the war office.

It all began well. East of Arcot, Major General Woodrow Bell led a mix of European and native troops against Cuttack, overwhelming the garrison and taking the city without spilling a drop of blood. At the same time, Sir William Pepperrell and his veterans crossed the border into Sindh and attacked the town of Neroon Kot. The enemy matched the British in numbers, but their armament was outdated and they stood little chance. After a brief struggle, the redcoats emerged victorious. Casualties were light and Governor Hamilton was pleased to hear of the success. Then came a report from Vice Admiral Edward Russell. His squadron of frigates had come under attack from larger and more powerful Mughal ships.

Two of the nine British vessels engaged in the battle were sunk and several others heavily damaged. It was a dark day for the Royal Navy, the often hailed champion of the seas. It also gave the Mughals an incentive to raid British Indian ports. Hamilton was shocked by the news of the naval defeat but still had confidence in the land armies. The validity of his confidence would soon be put to the test, as General Harbottle Gallatin's force was about to go head to head with the invaders in Hyderabad.

To be continued...

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

For King and Country indeed Glad to see this back and running, and, of course, awaiting more.

Good to see this back up and running. This chapter reminded me of the beautiful screenshots you manage to take. Those bloody Mughals as well, though you can't blame them for wanting their country back.

Oh man, awesome! I'm really glad to see that this is still running. I love the telling of the narrative, specially the details like regiment names and the personality of the generals affecting the battles.