Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: For King and Country (Great Britain AAR) [Updated: November 10, 2015]

Ganbarenippon's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: For King and Country (Great Britain AAR) [Updated: June 29, 2014]

Just to let you know someone is reading this! It's always a compliment to the writer of an AAR when I get caught up with it and then feel disappointed that I have to wait for the next bit! Well done, I love the layout of your opening post, I've tried to do mine that way a few times and failed because it's quite intensive to keep all the details up to date, and I enjoy the short, summarised writing style you have generally adopted here. I love character-driven narratives so that's saying something! But you have also been willing to experiment, the sergeant and the young lad and the generals all having quite distinct traits have been rewarding. Particularly the generals where you get across their personalities in a very economical way. Very impressive. I'd like to see a little more overview every now and then (maps etc.) but you have begun to address that so it's only a very minor gripe. All-in-all excellent, and I look forward to reading more. +rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganbarenippon View Post
    Just to let you know someone is reading this! It's always a compliment to the writer of an AAR when I get caught up with it and then feel disappointed that I have to wait for the next bit! Well done, I love the layout of your opening post, I've tried to do mine that way a few times and failed because it's quite intensive to keep all the details up to date, and I enjoy the short, summarised writing style you have generally adopted here. I love character-driven narratives so that's saying something! But you have also been willing to experiment, the sergeant and the young lad and the generals all having quite distinct traits have been rewarding. Particularly the generals where you get across their personalities in a very economical way. Very impressive. I'd like to see a little more overview every now and then (maps etc.) but you have begun to address that so it's only a very minor gripe. All-in-all excellent, and I look forward to reading more. +rep.
    Thanks for the support Ganbarenippon! I'm glad to hear that the personality traits of the characters are coming across in my writing. I try to make them as diverse as I can to keep the story from becoming stale. World overviews, like the one I did a few chapters ago, will be a recurring thing every 10-15 years or so in-game. I'm also looking at other ways to help readers follow the action.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Everything Ganbarenippon says is true. It will be interesting to see how things turn out in India with the Mughal Empire taking Mysore. Also the Native Americans in the Americas seem to be giving you a lot of trouble is that due to DarthMod. They could be a pain in the vanilla version if you're strapped for troops but they seem to be giving you extra problems.
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish King View Post
    Everything Ganbarenippon says is true. It will be interesting to see how things turn out in India with the Mughal Empire taking Mysore. Also the Native Americans in the Americas seem to be giving you a lot of trouble is that due to DarthMod. They could be a pain in the vanilla version if you're strapped for troops but they seem to be giving you extra problems.
    I'm a bit worried about India. The Mughals are still very friendly towards us but who knows for how long. They are very powerful and have three full stack armies in Mysore alone against my half stack. It's time to start reinforcing that theater. It's been a while since I played vanilla but I think the Native Americans got quite a boost in Darthmod. You can fight them off but they keep coming back again and again. Also, playing the battles according to the personalities of my generals isn't always very effective.

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

This AAR actually makes me want to go back and play Empire or Napoleon modded. Like mad.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Lugotorix View Post
    This AAR actually makes me want to go back and play Empire or Napoleon modded. Like mad.
    Good to know the AAR is inspiring.

Default Re: For King and Country (Great Britain AAR) [Updated: July 5, 2014]

Chapter XX: Hard Fighting

On two occasions, the Iroquois had risen up against European settlers invading their land, and both times, the natives had been pushed to the brink of destruction, saved only by Britain's willingness to negotiate peace. Five years had now passed since the signing of the second treaty and discontent among the Iroquois was again growing rapidly. In late summer, it finally boiled over, and a third uprising was instigated.

Kevin McDowell, commanding the 2nd Army, was told to march on Fort Detroit, the last Iroquois settlement, with all speed. The mission was simple; attack the settlement and eradicate the enemy. No negotiantions, no peace talks, only utter destruction. But even such a simple mission would prove difficult to execute. Not because of anything the Iroquois did, but because of McDowell himself. The General's behaviour was becoming increasingly erratic and his response to the new orders reflected that. At first he acted with almost frenetic haste, ordering his army to be ready to move out within the hour. He even went so far as to vehemently scold those he thought were stalling the departure. Then, as quickly as he had prepared to march, McDowell changed his mind, claiming that he could not proceed without massive reinforcements.

"If we attack now we will be ruined. The enemy will slaughter us all. My brave men, they will perish." he told his staff officers as they tried to talk him into resuming the mission. It seemed a hopeless task. The General was pacing back and forth, his mood seemingly changing with each turn. Having spoken fondly of his men and expressed concern about their well-being, he suddenly lapsed into a fit of rage. "I know this rabble they have forced me to command!" he yelled. "They are lazy and undisciplined. Thiefs and murderers, the lot of them. Not even the lash can turn them into proper soldiers. I will take them to hell, where they belong."

With that said, McDowell changed his mind yet again, and the 2nd Army was given new marching orders. However, much time had been wasted, and by now, a large Iroquois force had already left Fort Detroit. It was fast moving towards McDowell and his men. Not far from the village of Allegany, the unwitting British troops found themselves facing the howling mass of vengeful native warriors.

Battle of Allegany, 1720

Commander: Lt General Kevin McDowell
    Artillery: 4 batteries of 12-pdr howitzers
    Cavalry: 4th Dragoon Guards, 5th Dragoon Guards, 2nd Dragoons, 3rd Dragoons, 2nd Light Dragoons
    Infantry: 7th Foot, 8th Foot (Iron Regiment), 9th Foot, 10th Foot, 16th Foot, 18th Foot (Royal Irish), 1st Grenadiers, 7th Grenadiers, 2nd Rangers, 200 Native Musketmen

While the regiments of foot scrambled to form a crude firing line, the British gunners unlimbered the artillery and began bombarding the approaching enemy. The first attack came on the right flank, where Iroquois riders charged towards the loyal native musketmen scouting ahead of the main army. The 2nd Light Dragoons countercharged but was repelled twice and had to withdraw. The musketmen managed to hold the enemy at bay until the 5th Dragoon Guards and 3rd Dragoons could drive them away. It was a temporary success though, as the Iroquois attacked again, forcing the British troops to retreat back to the main line. They returned just as the Royal Irish was reinforcing the right flank and together they stemmed the attack.

While the right flank began to stabilise, the left came under attack from more enemy cavalry. Mirroring its own action during the Battle of Niagara in 1703, the Iron Regiment once again stod its ground against the odds. Despite fighting with ruthless aggression, the Iroquois horsemen were denied victory over the battle-hardened British soldiers and fell back.

Seeking a more manageable foe, the Iroquois found the 2nd Rangers hiding in the brush farther to the left of the British line. The rangers fired at the rapidly approaching cavalry, killing several of the riders, before becoming engulfed in hand-to-hand combat. They fought bravely, but pitted against native lances, the rangers did not stand a chance. It was only through the help of the 7th Foot, rushing to their rescue, that they escaped complete annihilation.

After having harassed both flanks, the main body of the Iroquois force now attacked the center of the line. Defying both musket fire and artillery shells, the warriors crashed into their enemy. Like so many times before, the battle turned into a bloody melee. Hacking and stabbing, the two sides cut each other to pieces. A veteran soldier, having served with the 16th Foot since the Battle of Plaissance fifteen years earlier, got his throat sliced by a tomahawk. As he fell writhing to the ground, clasping his hands around the bleeding wound, his assailant towered over him, screaming his defiance, only to be knocked over by a musket stock to the face and having a bayonet plunged into his abdoment. Any delusion of civilized warfare they might have had when they first took the King's shilling had long since left the men of McDowell's army. By now, they fought with the same ancient brutality as the enemy they were butchering.

As the horrific slaughter continued, the Iroquois were on the verge of breaking through the crumbling British line. Observing the action from his position next to the artillery, McDowell did nothing. He just shook his head and mumbled incoherently. Acting without orders, Colonel Conrad Booth of the 7th Grenadiers led his men in a desperate bayonet charge. Throwing themselves at the enemy, they fought with the strength, determination and ruthlessness that had earned them their place in the regiment. It was enough. Thanks to Booth's initiative and the bravery of the grenadiers under his command, the line held. Having exhausted their strength, the Iroquois began giving ground, and soon they were in full retreat. As they fled the field, they were cut down by British cavalry, acting out their revenge on the warriors who had killed their friends and comrades.

To the surprise of everyone present, McDowell suddenly kicked his spurs and, accompanied by his guards, gave chase. The redcoats watched in disbelief as their General, who had never personally been involved in any fighting, now stained his sword with enemy blood for the first time. Joining the rest of the cavalry, McDowell took part in the slaughter of the fleeing Iroquois. When it was all over, none of the warriors were left alive. It had been a costly victory, but a victory nevertheless, and the 2nd Army continued its march towards Fort Detroit.

While the fighting was over at Allegany, another battle, equal in ferocity, was about to take place down in Florida. Horatio Ashcroft had left Georgia earlier that month and led the 3rd Army south to the old Spanish town of St. Augustine. It was now the home of Chief Tokose Mathla of the Cherokee, and the British had come to challenge him and his four thousand loyal warriors.

Battle of St. Augustine, 1720

Commander: Brigadier General Horatio Ashcroft
    Cavalry: 6th Dragoon Guards, 7th Dragoon Guards, 4th Dragoons, 8th Dragoons, 3rd Light Dragoons
    Infantry: 12th Foot, 13th Foot, 14th Foot, 15th Foot, 17th Foot, 19th Foot, 3rd Grenadiers, 4th Grenadiers, 400 Native Musketmen

As they arrived, the redcoats immediately dug in. Ashcroft, basing his strategy on his previous victories over the Cherokee, wanted to fight from fixed positions. At Fort Presque Isle and Sycamore Shoals, the British line had withstod and eventually broken direct assaults. With a more elaborate defence, Ashcroft was certain that the Cherokee would be defeated before they could even get close. "The bastards will never break through here." he said confidently, while inspecting the layers of trenches and fortifications that were being constructed around the British position. What he failed to take into account was the fact that Chief Tokose Mathla was a very different commander compared to Hiakatoo whom Ashcroft had faced in battle before. He would not throw away the lives of his men in an open charge. Instead, he waited for an opportunity to strike from concealment.

Days came and went without a major confrontation. Patrols were sent out, but they suffered heavily in swift hit and run attacks. Infuriated that the enemy would not face him properly, Ashcroft ordered the artillery to start bombarding the old fort where Cherokee warriors had been spotted earlier. When that had no effect, the General targeted the distant Cherokee settlement instead. Knowing that not only the warriors but their women and children also resided their, Ashcroft hoped to force Tokose Mathla to attack.

The cruel plan worked. Seeing his people being struck by British artillery, the Chief was enraged. He gathered all his men and together they set out to wipe the barbaric redcoats from the face of the earth. Although filled with anger and vengance, Tokose Mathla still had the presence of mind to stick to his plan of a concealed approach. Using the lush landscape to hide their movements, the warriors crept up on the fortified British position. When the signal was given, they rose from the bushes and tall grass and launched their attack. The crackle of muskets rang out as the startled defenders fired at the sudden threat that had appeared before them. A single volley was all they could deliver before their trenches were overrun.

The first ranks were quickly swallowed by the furious horde of Cherokees. Reinforcements were rushed forward but met with the same fate. Underneath the deadly tomahawks of the enemy, the British soldiers suffered tremendously. Many of the regiments lost up to half their strength in the unrelenting slaughter, and the 17th Foot was almost completely wiped out. In face of this overwhelming adversity, the center collapsed.

The scattered remnants of several different units retreated in panic, but were rallied at the last moment by a young lieutenant of the 12th Foot. With a deep cut in his forehead and one arm hanging limp from severe wounds, he staggered forth and took command, ordering the men form a new line. With regained courage, the redcoats began fighting back. Three shots per minute, a skill that had been drilled into the them excessively, now became a vital tool for survival as they fired volley upon volley into the dense mass of warriors. For each critical hit, the enemy's numbers were reduced and certain defeat slowly turned into a possible victory. The British soldiers could feel it and proceeded to fix bayonets. Unaware that the officer who had organised them had succumbed to his wounds, they charged headlong into the fight once more.

Noticing the British counterattack, Tokose Mathla led his cavalry in a charge against the right flank. He was hoping to roll up the entire line before the redcoats could re-establish their positions, and thus forcing them to abandon the battle. Holding the right was the 14th Foot. The regiment had already suffered heavy casualties, but still offered stiff resistance. Despite the outmost effort by the Cherokee cavalry, they could not rout the determined British soldiers. Unable to break the flank, the Chief tried to direct his men to move farther along the line, but just as he was about to give the order, a bayonet impaled him in the throat. All he could manage was an almost inaudible gurgle before he fell of his horse. As he plumeted to the ground, the warriors closest to him, distraught at the sight of their great leader being killed, began to break away from the fight. Word of Tokose Mathla's demise quickly spread, and more Cherokees fled the battle. The tide had turned.

The bloody work of the infantry was done, and the cavalry took over. Dashing across the field, they dealt switfly with the retreating warriors. No pardon was given; the battle would end there and then. Under the rising and falling sabres and swords of the dragoons and dragoon guards, the last of the Cherokees met their end. Their blood stained what was now British territory. St. Augustine had been captured.

Another costly battle was added to the history of Great Britain. The 3rd Army had lost close to a thousand men, and "Bloody Horatio" Ashcroft once again showed why that moniker was a fitting one. As they buried their dead, the soldiers muttered of desertion. Those who muttered too loudly found themselves at the end of the lash, but Ashcroft knew that if he was to harsh on the men he might have a mutiny on his hands. Although the orders were to continue immediately, he allowed his army to rest. Hopefully it would stem the malcontent growing among the troops before they had to leave the safety of the St. Augustine fort and march straight into the heart of Cherokee territory

To be continued...
    Last edited by IneptCmdr; November 23, 2014 at 06:45 PM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Great story-telling with brilliant drama and images. I especially like the small stories embedded in the larger one, like the young lieutenant of the 12th Foot who rallied the running men (if only he had survived, what a general he could have been...)

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Great story-telling with brilliant drama and images. I especially like the small stories embedded in the larger one, like the young lieutenant of the 12th Foot who rallied the running men (if only he had survived, what a general he could have been...)
    Thanks Alwyn! I'm glad you like the little stories within the story. That lieutenant would have made a great general, but alas, it was not to be.

I'm working on the next chapter. It will be a longer one, as a lot of things have happened in a short time, and several battles have been fought. Safe to say, Britain is making progress in America.

Default Re: For King and Country (Great Britain AAR) [Updated: July 10, 2014]

Chapter XXI: One Man's Promise

Four years had passed since Christopher Paine replaced Isaac Cooper as Prime Minister. As he took office, Paine had vowed to bring America under British rule. At the time, this promise had been received with much enthusiasm, but as the campaign dragged on, the slow progress and high cost in men and material had dampened the spirit of even the most optimistic of people. Paine knew that what happened in next few years would shape not only his own career, but also the future of Great Britain as an empire.

Stakes were raised even higher when, in early 1721, a delegation from the Thirteen Colonies arrived in London to discuss the possibility of ceding control to Britain. The endless wars with the natives had drained their resources and they needed help. It was thus agreed that if the British Army could remove the threat posed by the Cherokee, the Thirteen Colonies would hand over their remaining territories to the crown.

The next step towards the goal set by Paine, was not going to be against the Cherokee though, but against the Spanish. While the fighting in the north of America had been a costly affair, the plight of the 1st Army in the south had been less severe. After securing New Spain in 1717, it had moved east, capturing one Spanish colony after the other. During the winter of 1720, the army billeted in Bogotá, New Grenada, in order to get some rest before continuing east towards New Andalusia. Early the next year, Sir William Pepperrell and his men marched for the border, but before they could cross it, they were met by a Spanish force sent to stop them. In what became known as the Battle of the Border, the British and Spanish troops fought for the crossing between the two territories.

Battle of the Border, 1721

Commander: Major General Sir William Pepperrell
    Cavalry: 2nd Dragoon Guards, 3rd Dragoon Guards, 1st Dragoons, 5th Dragoons, 1st Light Dragoons
    Infantry: 1st Foot (Old One), 2nd Foot, 4th Foot, 5th Foot, 6th Foot, 11th Foot, 2nd Grenadiers, 6th Grenadiers, 1st Rangers

The battle began with the terrifying sound of British artillery firing explosive shells at the oncoming enemy. The earth shook and the air filled with an incisive smell as the shots burst around and among the Spanish formations. It was a violent display of human engineering; the result of years of research to develop the ammunition that now brought death to those who had come do battle.

Amid the chaos, the drums beat the advance. Defying the barrage, Spanish troops marched rapidly towards their enemy. These men had not been in a major battle before, and the deceitful lure of inexperience drove them on. In their minds, visions of heroic deeds and glorious victory took shape as they closed in on the line of soldiers in red uniforms before them. They would soon learn that victory did not come so easily.

If there was one thing the men of the British 1st Army did not lack, it was experience. They had campaigned in India, North America and the Caribbean, and they knew what war was all about. Glory and gallantry were for poets and painters. The soldier's job was to fight, and fight they would. Rushing forward to meet the advancing enemy, the redcoats prepared for what they knew would come next; the exchange of fire and the thinning of the ranks until one side broke. They were confident, but it was confidence born out of knowledge, rather than lack thereof.

Under bombardment from artillery on both sides, the two opposing lines opened up on each other. Soon, the battlefield was engulfed in smoke and noise. Muskets crackled, guns boomed, wounded men screamed in pain and officers barked their orders. For the Spanish soldiers, witnessing the horrors of combat for the first time, it was as if they had been sucked into hell itself. Fear gripped their souls, and they wanted nothing more than to escape this place of agony and death. The line broke.

While British dragoons circled around the enemy and took out their artillery, the Old One, 2nd Foot and 6th Grenadiers moved up on the left to give chase to the fleeing infantry. Spanish light cavalry attacked the advancing redcoats in an attempt to buy their comrades some time, but were quickly routed themselves. After the last few shots had rung out, the battle was over and the 1st Army stood victorious. Having defeated the Spanish, Sir William continued the march into New Andalusia, but when reports from scouts arrived, indicating a much larger enemy force waiting for him at Caracas, he reconsidered. Instead of marching into a battle he might not be able to win, he would instead return to Bogotá and await reinforcements.

While the troops in New Grenada begrudgingly retreated away from the enemy, the 2nd Army was moving rapidly towards it. Finding their way to Fort Detroit, where the Iroquois awaited them, was not difficult. All the British had to do was follow the trail of destruction left by the war party they had recently defeated. Towns and villages along the way had been raided. Buildings had been put to the torch and the inhabitants to the axe. The sight of burning farmsteads and the rotting corpses of slaughtered peasants filled the men with anger. Anger which they were determined to unleash on the remaining natives.

Battle of Fort Detroit, 1721

Commander: Lt General Kevin McDowell
    Cavalry: 4th Dragoon Guards, 5th Dragoon Guards, 2nd Dragoons, 3rd Dragoons, 2nd Light Dragoons
    Infantry: 7th Foot, 8th Foot (Iron Regiment), 9th Foot, 10th Foot, 16th Foot, 18th Foot (Royal Irish), 1st Grenadiers, 7th Grenadiers, 2nd Rangers, Native Musketmen

The arrival of the 2nd Army came as a shock to the Iroquois. They were expecting the war party to return with the scalps of the defeated British. Instead, it was the British themselves, alive and with their scalps intact, who appeared at the settlement, bringing their weapons of destruction down upon the dumbfounded natives.

Taken completely by surprise, the unprepared Iroquois launched an uncoordinated counterattack, but it disintegrated against the wall of muskets brought to bear on the charging warriors. The pent-up anger of the redcoats fueled their vengeance, as the they fired mercilessly at the fleeing warriors. Released in a fury of violence, this was their revenge for the killing of innocent farmers at the hands of the impudent Iroquois rebels.

After the disastrous initial charge, the demoralised native warriors gathered their wits and tried again. This time, the attack was better organised, with small groups targeting individual British units in order to punch through and disrupt the entire formation. Yet, despite their best effort, the Iroquois could not break the resolute redcoats.

McDowell, who had been almost invisible to his troops since passing by the burning villages a few days earlier, saw the enemy's panicked retreat and reacted. In what could only be described as a state of delirium, he gathered his entire cavalry and set off towards the Iroquois longhouses, barley visible in the far distance. It was a mad thing to do. Without support from infantry and artillery, the exposed cavalry would have to fend for itself against an unknown enemy. However, in McDowell's mind the Iroquois were already defeated. He would simply ride into the settlement and take it from them, making him the hero of the British people.

At first, everything went well. Encountering a group of bowmen, still in retreat after the earlier attack, the riders charged vigorously. For the men on the ground, the effect was devestating. Those who escaped being crushed under the hooves of the horses fell victim to the rising and falling blades of their mounted adversaries. It was an easy slaughter, and confidence grew among the British cavalry.

That confidence was soon shattered. When McDowell and his men entered the settlement on their winded horses, hundreds of furious warriors attacked from all directions. Surrounded and outnumbered, the British faced almost certein doom as they fought for their very lives against an enraged enemy defending his home. Pulled to the ground, the riders were butchered beyond recognition, their chilling screams heard all the way over at the British line. A man from the light dragoons managed to break free and climb back in the saddle, but was skewered from behind by an arrow. He sobbed quietly as he glanced down at the point protruding from his chest. Seconds later, his lifeless body fell down and joined the dead in the bloodsoaked grass. Witnessing the massacre around him, McDowell lost his nerves completely. He kicked aside a wounded dragoon guard trying to find shelter behind the General's horse, and left the battle at full gallop, narrowly missing several attacks directed at him.

Seeing their General abandon them when they most needed him, devastated the British cavalry. Yet, they fought on, and through sheer resilience, began to turn the battle around. The men were exhausted, but the Iroquois were growing tired too. It became a matter of who would reach their absolute breaking point first, and the odds were slowly favouring the British. No longer trapped in the midst of the enemy, the squadrons could move away to catch their breath before charging into the fight again. Eventually, it was the Iroquois who found themselves at the mercy of their enemy. Bereft of energy, they scattered.

With the destruction of the Iroquois Confederacy, came the end of the third uprising. Taking the region of Michigan brought Britain one step closer to Prime Minister Paine's goal of complete domination over the American continent. But it was an expensive step. The cavalry had been decimated, and the General who had led them into the jaws of death was now an emotional wreck. After the battle, he had been found sitting in the grass next to his horse, weeping openly. He spoke in broken sentences, repeating over and over again how he had only done his duty. On doctor's orders, he was sent to Philadelphia to rest, and would later return to England.

Without proper leadership, the 2nd Army marched south, leaving behind the 3rd Dragoons and 2nd Light Dragoons to keep order in the newly captured territory they had so dearly paid for. Reaching Sycamore Shoals, the men were introduced to their new commander, a relatively unknown Major General by the name of George Wade. For the past few years, he had been stationed in Philadelphia, overseeing the garrison there. Wade was a staunch believer in discipline, but although he was authoritative and stern, he also cared about his men, and that earned him their respect.

As winter once again approached, the 2nd Army rendezvoused with the 3rd near Tellico, one of two Cherokee settlements bordering the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida. Both British armies had fought a number of skirmishes along the way, so the plan was to make camp and rest a few days, before launching a joint attack on the Cherokee. Wade thought it a good idea to attack with combined strength, but Ashcroft had no interest in sharing the glory with some washed-up garrison commander. Early the following morning, while Wade and a detachment of the Royal Irish were out gathering supplies, the 3rd Army left the camp and marched on Tellico. When Wade returned, the battle had already commenced. He ordered the dragoon guards to follow him as he rode towards the sound of the guns.

Battle of Tellico, 1721

Cavalry: 6th Dragoon Guards, 7th Dragoon Guards, 4th Dragoons, 8th Dragoons
    Infantry: 12th Foot, 13th Foot, 14th Foot, 15th Foot, 17th Foot, 19th Foot, 3rd Grenadiers, 4th Grenadiers

Commander: Major General George Wade
    Cavalry: 4th Dragoon Guards, 5th Dragoon Guards

The guns Wade heard thundering in the distance were the squat howitzers of Ashcroft's artillery batteries, hurling carcass shot at the enemy. The howitzers had been placed in a lightly wooded area, and every time they fired, the force of the blast from the muzzles shook the branches of the nearby trees, showering the gunners with twigs and bits of bark.

The sky filled with arching trails of smoke as the projectiles travelled through the air. Landing amid the advancing Cherokee, they burst into flames, burning the flesh of those unfortunate to be near the impact. As the survivours continued on, they left behind them the charred remains of their fellow warriors, laying upon dark patches of ground where the heat had melted the frost and scorched the grass underneath.

Closing in on the British line, the warriors were subjected to a different form of suffering when the regimented volleys of the redcoated infantry tore into their ranks. The smoke and flash of muskets being fired was the last thing many of the brave men saw in this life. Those who lived would never forget the terrifying experience. They tried to get close enough to engage the British soldiers, but the ceaseless shooting prevented them from doing so. With casualties mounting, they began to retreat.

Sensing victory, Ashcroft released the 4th Dragoons. They rode out from behind the line, and to the cheers of the infantry, they charged at the retreating enemy. Swinging their sabres at the men on the ground, the dragoons caused even more casualties among the Cherokee.

Just as the battle seemed to be coming to an end, a thunder of hoves was heard. The dragoons quickly broke off their attack and returned to the safety of the British line. Moments later, a horde of Cherokee cavalry charged across the field. They headed straight for the left flank, but were stopped dead in their tracks by heavy dragoon guards, attacking from the side. Weapons clashed, as riders fought each other on horseback. It was a short engagement which the dragoon guards won.

"That was remarkably easy." Ashcroft commented as he watched the Cherokee retreat back from where they came. He did not give it much thought beyond that though. He was determined to strike the decisive blow to the enemy and ordered the infantry to advance. Marching to the drums and fifes, the soldiers made their way across the field. Observing their progress, Ashcroft noticed cavalry coming in from the northeast. Through his telescope, he could see that it was General Wade who had arrived with his men. "What's that fool doing here?" Ashcroft whispered to himself. He had hoped that the battle would be over before Wade got there.

Suddenly, there was commotion ahead. Turning his attention back to the marching infantry, Ashcroft caught a glimpse of a thick shower of arrows striking the soldiers. They had been lured into an ambush. Emerging from hiding, hundreds of Cherokee warriors attacked the confused redcoats. Their cavalry also returned, charging into the fray. Unable to form squares, the British infantry was at the mercy of the deadly lances of the horsemen. In an instance, the roles had reversed, and it was the Cherokee's turn to inflict massive damage to their foe.

The situation seemed hopeless for the surrounded British troops. Their formations had shattered completely, and every man had to make his own stand. They were seconds away from breaking, when suddenly, they heard the bugles of the 4th & 5th Dragoon Guards. Led by George Wade, the cavalry lunged at the unsuspecting enemy, forcing the Cherokee into a rout. With bayonets mounted, the infantry joined in the pursuit, running after the fleeing warriors until they were all out of breath and had to give up the chase.

Despite the victory, Ashcroft felt humiliated. He had set out to win the battle himself, but had stumbled into a trap. Instead, it was Wade who became the man of the hour, saving the 3rd Army from defeat. Yet, he did not gloat about it, and in a strange way, that annoyed Ashcroft even more.

For the time being, the two Generals would have to set their differences aside. Winter was upon them, and the troops returned to camp to wait it out. Spending Christmas huddled up in their tents, the soldiers shared what little information they got from the outside world. Greek rebels had apparently won a victory over some major power and declared Greece an independent nation, though who they had been fighting was unclear. In Inda, it was rumoured that the East India Company was mass recruiting and paying their soldiers handsomely. The men in the tents dreamt of a comfortable life under the eastern sun, earning good money parading in front of princes and maharadjas. Their fantasies were quickly shattered by stories of brutal battles, told by grizzled veterans of the South India War.

As winter passed, the two armies prepared to attack once more. Their target was the Cherokee settlement at Chicasa, not far from where they had fought previously. This time, Wade, who outranked Ashcroft, would lead the operation.

Battle of Chicasa, 1722

Cavalry: 4th Dragoon Guards, 5th Dragoon Guards, 2nd Dragoons
    Infantry: 7th Foot, 8th Foot (Iron Regiment), 9th Foot, 10th Foot, 16th Foot, 18th Foot (Royal Irish), 1st Grenadiers, 7th Grenadiers, 2nd Rangers, Native Musketmen

Infantry: 12th Foot, 13th Foot, 14th Foot, 15th Foot, 17th Foot, 19th Foot, 3rd Grenadiers, 4th Grenadiers

It was still relatively dark when the armies arrived at Chicasa. The sun had yet to break over the horizon, giving the field, that would soon become a killing ground, an ominous illumination. The elongated shadows of the men marching to war looked like dark, slender gigants who had come to do battle in some alternate dimension. The imaginary figures were vanquished as the first flashes of muskets lit up the ground. The 2nd Rangers had made contact with the Cherokee defenders.

Within minutes, the battlefield was ablaze. Charging down the tree-covered slope of a hill and onto the open ground below, the native warriors were met with the full firepower of their enemy. The sound was deafening, a terrifying symphony of death and destruction, with cannon and muskets on one side, and chilling howls and war cries on the other.

As the battle escalated, more troops were brought up to the front. The pressure of the Cherokee assault was intense, but the British stood strong, refusing to buckle under the onslaught. Falling back on their drills, they loaded and fired their weapons with almost machinelike efficiency.

The center and right flank of the British line proved to strong, and the Cherokee shifted their attention to the left. Joined by men on horses, the warriors attacked furiously. At first they were pushed back, but undeterred, they went in again. This time they fared better and got in close with the redcoats.

The 3rd Grenadiers held the tip of the left flank. As the Cherokee attacked, their mounted warriors set their sights on the tall men of the regiment. The grenadiers raised their muskets, bayonets pointing towards the attackers, and braced themselves for the impact. When the Cherokee crashed into them, they were shaken, but held their ground. Parrying the lances used against them, the men of the 3rd stabbed violently at the enemy.

The Cherokee horsemen eventually broke against the though grenadiers. Trying to escape the battle, they became the targets of a British cavalry charge led by General Wade. Watching from afar, Ashcroft sneered in contempt at Wade's exploits. Not only had he been degraded to second in command, Ashcroft was also forced to once again look on as his superior officer outdid him in battle. His sour mood was not made any better by cheers Wade was receiving from the men.

While Wade pushed the cavalry onwards, the infantry had begun advancing too. With relentless volleys, they forced the Cherokee back. There was no fight left in the warriors. They knew they were defeated. As they fell victims to the British musketry in every increasing numbers, their war party slowly disintegrated.

Survivours fled into the forrest, pursued by eager dragoons. Some managed to disappear among the trees, but most were either captured or met death in a last desperate struggle against the sharp edges of British sabres. Another Cherokee settlement had been eliminated, and General Wade proclaimed victory.

While the Battle of Chicasa was ending, a much smaller but equally significant fight was taking place in Lower Louisiana. The 3rd Light Dragoons, which had remained in St. Augustine after its fall, had been out on patrol a week earlier, when it spotted a large Cherokee force marching north. Realising that the enemy had left New Orleans almost undefended, the dragoons attacked the town. Despite being outnumbered and also loosing their colonel early on in the battle, the cavalrymen persevered. Through a series of brilliant tactical moves, the new commander, Arthur Carter, managed to lead the regiment to victory. As word of the successful attack spread, the 3rd Light Dragoons or "Carter's Raiders" became celebrated heroes throughout the British colonies.

With the Cherokee pushed back to their last major settlement in Upper Louisiana, it seemed possible that the plan for British domination in America would succeed. The armies of George Wade and Horatio Ashcroft gathered their strength and began the march towards the final confrontation.

To be continued...
    Last edited by IneptCmdr; July 10, 2014 at 10:42 PM.

Ganbarenippon's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Finally the Iroquois are done with! That was a tough enemy! Great update, I liked the little descriptive touches this time around, like the weather the effect of the burning bodies on the ground etc. Well done!

Great writing (I like lines such as "the deceitful lure of inexperience") and enjoyable story-telling - including the increasingly erratic General McDowell - and cinematic images. I agree with Ganbarenippon - a great update.

I am embarrassed to admit that I have not been work out how to post photos as you do. When I try copying and pasting a full-size image into my AAR, an error message says that it contains too many characters. I'm probably missing something obvious - please could someone tell me what I'm missing?
    Last edited by Alwyn; July 11, 2014 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganbarenippon View Post
    Finally the Iroquois are done with! That was a tough enemy! Great update, I liked the little descriptive touches this time around, like the weather the effect of the burning bodies on the ground etc. Well done!
    Done with indeed. They've been a thorn in the side since the beginning. Now we just need do get rid of the Cherokee and things should start to stabilise in America.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Great writing (I like lines such as "the deceitful lure of inexperience") and enjoyable story-telling - including the increasingly erratic General McDowell - and cinematic images. I agree with Ganbarenippon - a great update.

I am embarrassed to admit that I have not been work out how to post photos as you do. When I try copying and pasting a full-size image into my AAR, an error message says that it contains too many characters. I'm probably missing something obvious - please could someone tell me what I'm missing?
    The way I do it is I upload the image to tinypic.com and then I copy and paste the IMG-code that the site provides into my AAR. It should look something like this:

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/x2156u.png[/IMG]

Thank you, I appreciate your help.

Default Re: For King and Country (Great Britain AAR) [Updated: July 12, 2014]

Chapter XXII: Fall of the Cherokee

Following the British victory at Chicasa in the early months of 1722, the remnants of the once widespread Cherokee tribe had retreated to Fort de Chartres in Upper Louisiana. With orders to end Native American influences on the continent, Generals George Wade and Horatio Ashcroft led their men towards what would most likely be the last confrontation between British redcoats and Cherokee warriors. Having been forced to leave two infantry regiments behind to keep order in the recently conquered territories, the British force had shrunk in size. This was made worse by the fact that the armies had not received any reinforcements since early on in the campaign. Many of the units were below one third of their full strength, and knowing the ferocity with which the enemy fought, the Generals were rightfully worried. Although they worried for quite different reasons. Wade was concerned about the lives of his remaining men, while Ashcroft thought more of the loss of prestige that a defeat would bring. In the regards to the matter at hand, it did not matter much what their fears were, as both men would do their outmost to achieve victory.

Battle of Fort de Chartres, 1722

Cavalry: 4th Dragoon Guards, 5th Dragoon Guards, 2nd Dragoons

The early phase of the battle was one-sided affair. Eager to finish off their enemy once and for all, the redcoats steadily pressed on, driving the Cherokee back with musket and cannon. The unmistakable rumble of war echoed across the rolling hills, as the British line surged forward like an unstoppable wave. The green grass, growing spritely in the warm spring weather, was soiled by the blood of men, and burnt to ash by the fiery impact of carcass shot.

The rapid advance came to a sudden halt when a large group of Cherokee warriors rose from hiding on the reverse slope of one of the hills, ascended the crest, and charged down at the British on the other side. Attacking with the fierce strength of desperation, the warriors carved through the ranks of their enemy. Tomahawks, handled with superb skill, cut into the soft flesh of the redcoated soldiers, splintering bones and causing hideous trauma. The victims shrieked in pain, as they staggered and fell. It was their time to bleed.

Having lost the initial momentum, the British infantry wavered under the onslaught. As their already weakened numbers dwindled further, men began to run away. Away from the horrors of the battle, away from the bloodied axes of the natives, away from certain death. The trickle became a flood, as several regiments could face the slaughter no longer, and fled in panic.

To stem the Cherokee success, reserves were brought up, including the Iron Regiment and the Royal Irish. Rested and ready, they moved without hesitation towards the heart of the vicious fight. Finding comfort and courage in the resolve of these men, many retreating soldiers turned around and joined the march. With artillery shells whistling above them, they closed up on the enemy a second time.

The crackle of muskets rang out across the field, and the tide of battle shifted once more in favour of the British. They pushed the warriors up the hill, into the barrage of round shot, raining down from the sky. Ripped apart by this deadly downpour of lead, the Cherokee began to lose spirit. The reinvigorate British attack was eating away at their will to resist. Tired and hurt, they gathered the last ounce strength they could muster, and launched a final assault.

It was a futile attempt, more akin to suicide than anything else. Running straight into the deadly volleys of British musketry, the last great Cherokee attack was shattered within minutes. When the smoke cleared, the gruesome fate of the proud warriors became visible to everyone present. Mangled bodies littered the ground in front of the redcoats; hundreds of contorted human figures, forming a ghastly symbol of the end of native resistance.

For Great Britain, the defeat of the Cherokee at Fort de Chartres was one of the most important events in colonial affairs. In accordance with the agreement signed the year before, the Thirteen Colonies gave up their independence and handed over the governing of all their territories to the Empire. British control over the American continent was now unequaled.

For the troops in the field, it was a blessing. Peace had finally settled, and the weary soldiers began their march back east towards the coast, to rest and be brought up to strength. There was still a war to be fought against Spain, but for a brief moment, the men of the British Army would savor the sweet taste of victory.

To be continued...

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Whelp, when I actually return to the UK (in Feb 2015) I'm certainly looking into a British ETW AAR!

I have to agree that this AAR is inspiring, pretty much the E:TW version of those staples of AARtodom such as Julian, Saviour of Rome? And Robin and his Takeda AAR. That is how good I would say this is, and only five pages in as well. Needless to say I cannot wait to see more. +Rep.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

I agree with McScottish. Another great update! Glad to see on enemy taken care of! Now get to taking out Spain!
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post
    Whelp, when I actually return to the UK (in Feb 2015) I'm certainly looking into a British ETW AAR!

I have to agree that this AAR is inspiring, pretty much the E:TW version of those staples of AARtodom such as Julian, Saviour of Rome? And Robin and his Takeda AAR. That is how good I would say this is, and only five pages in as well. Needless to say I cannot wait to see more. +Rep.
    That is quite a compliment, and also very encouraging, to be mentioned alongside such great AARs. Thank you McScottish. I do look forward to any ETW AAR from you in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish King View Post
    I agree with McScottish. Another great update! Glad to see on enemy taken care of! Now get to taking out Spain!
    It was a tough fight, but we finally did it. Spain will be dealt with next.

Default Re: For King and Country (Great Britain AAR) [Updated: July 19, 2014]

Chapter XXIII: Secret Weapons

In mid-1722, a small British fleet sailed into Hudson Bay. It carried with it the 4th Army, the same army that had invaded Gibraltar ten years ago. Still under the command of Brigadier General Harbottle Gallatin, it was now heading for Rupert's Land to deal with the threat posed by the Hurons. Occupying the regions west and south of Rupert's Land, these Native Americans had been hostile towards the British since they first settled in the area. In the late 1690s, control was handed over to the Thirteen Colonies to avoid a confrontation. When the territory was later returned to Great Britain following the end of the Anglo-Cherokee war, the conflict flared up again.

Landing in Fort Albany, the 4th Army immediately marched south. Gallatin had hoped to reach the Huron settlement at Fort Sault Ste. Marie before winter, but traversing the wilderness was a slow process. By the time the army reached its destination, the first snow had already begun to fall. A quick victory was needed, and Gallatin had with him a new weapon which could help him achieve that. It was a small repeating cannon, known as a defence gun or Puckle gun after its inventor James Puckle. The British Army was interested in this new armament and figured that the remote location of northern America, away from prying eyes, was a good place to test it.

Battle of Fort Sault Ste. Marie, 1722

Commander: Brigadier General Harbottle Gallatin
    Artillery: 4 batteries of 12-pdr howitzers, 1 battery of puckle guns
    Cavalry: 1st Dragoon Guards, 8th Dragoon Guards, 6th Dragoons (Bluecoats), 7th Dragoons, 4th Light Dragoons
    Infantry: 20th Foot, 26th Foot, 27th Foot (Devil's Twentyseven), 28th Foot, 29th Foot, 30th Foot, 32nd Foot, 5th Grenadiers, Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Unfamiliar with European weapons and tactics, the Hurons charged straight towards the enemy. They were soon introduced to the destructive power of western artillery, as the British guns fired deadly carcass shot at the warriors. Shocked but not deterred, the Hurons carried on. They ran through the hail of shells, shouting their terrifying war cries.

As the natives got closer to the British line, the Puckle guns opened fire. The bullets ripped through the front row of the advancing warriors with ease, causing great damage. Staring at the strange devices of war, the stunned British troops did not know what to make of them. "Are they goin' to replace us with them machines, sarge?" asked a young private in the front rank, as he watched the rapid fire of the new guns. "Don't you worry, lad. The army will always need men with muskets." the sergeant replied calmy. For the Hurons, however, being on the receiving end of the barrage, these strange weapons seemed at the time to be much worse than any musket-wielding redcoat.

The dazed warriors pressed on despite casualites, and soon got within range of the infantry. As the massed volleys erupted, it became evident that men with muskets could still be effective, even if the men were inexperienced. The 32nd Foot, a recently raised Scottish regiment, held the left flank. These soldiers had never seen battle before, but stod their ground and fired three rounds a minute, just as they had been trained to do. The devestating effect of their shots were undeniable, as the Huron attack folded and turned into a rout. A few daring warriors managed to come close enough to do some damage, but were swiftly dealt with.

Realising that a frontal attack would never succeed against such advanced weaponry, the Hurons tried to circle around the British right flank. This proved equally difficult, as their movement was checked by the combined effort of the Bluecoats and 4th Light Dragoons.

Gallatin shifted his troops to reinforce the right and support the cavalry. The 20th Foot, Devil's Twentyseven, 5th Grenadiers and Royal Welsh Fusiliers took up new positions and engaged the attacking Hurons. The overwhelming firepower crushed any lingering hope of the natives emerging victorious. Defeated and demoralised, they fled into the Manitoba wilderness, leaving the British in control of Fort Sault Ste. Marie.

With the region secured, Gallatin and a small escort of dragoon guards travelled to York Factory in the Northwest Territories. There they met with Theyanoguin I, chief of the Hurons. Theyanoguin was a wise man and a practical one, and he understod that war with the British was not in the best interest of his people. After some deliberations, an agreement was reached, wherein the Hurons were allowed to remain in the Northwest Territories, while Fort Sault Ste. Marie and the surrounding area became a permanent part of the British Empire. Having accomplished the task for which he had been sent, Gallatin left Rupert's Land with the 4th Army. However, they did not sail back to Britain, but instead, headed south.

After the brief Anglo-Huron war, things quieted down, and 1723 became a year of peace. In America, the armies recuperated and regained their strength, while the Black Watch, Scots Guards and Coldstream Guards arrived to increase the numbers. Back in England, the 1st & 2nd Life Guards paraded in Portsmouth during the launch of HMS Victory, the new flagship of the Royal Navy and the pride of the seafaring nation. Speeches were delivered, the Royalty mingled, and any thought of war seemed far removed.

It was short respite. Hostilities resumed the following year when the 2nd Army prepared for an invasion of Jamaica. The island, which had served as an important military hub for Britain's Caribbean endeavours, was captured by Spain in 1716. By 1724, with British influence in America at its peak, retaking Jamaica had become a matter of pride. In late spring, the army commanded by Major General George Wade landed on the north shore. Dismissing an opportunity to engage the Spanish en route from Kingston to Port Royal, Wade chose to wait for an inbound shipment of another recently introduced weapon; quicklime artillery shells. With the deadly new ammunition in his arsenal, the General launched the attack.

Battle of Port Royal, 1724

Infantry: 7th Foot, 8th Foot (Iron Regiment), 9th Foot, 10th Foot, 16th Foot, 18th Foot (Royal Irish), 1st Grenadiers, 7th Grenadiers, Scots Guards, 2nd Rangers

The light dragoons were the first to reach the town. Moving at a trot through the empty streets, it was as if they had entered a ghost town. Not a sound was heard, and no Spanish troops were in sight. Every now and then, the dragoons could see a random face show up briefly in some window before disappearing behind closed curtains. Whether it was the face of a civilian or an enemy, they did not know. With carbines at the ready, the mounted soldiers continued cautiously. Coming around a corner, they were suddenly confronted by Spanish light cavalry. Weapons were fired, and a few shots hit their marks, but it was not enough to stop the attackers. They closed in fast on the British dragoons and engaged them with cold steel.

While the dragoons and light cavalry clashed swords, British infantry, headed by the 1st Grenadiers, began marching into town. They came in from the opposite direction, behind the unaware enemy. "First catch of the day!" snickered a cocky officer, pointing his sword at the men on horses up ahead. The grenadiers moved in closer and assembled a firing line at the edge of the town square from which the the initial attack had been launched.

Still unseen, the grenadiers opened fire. The stunned Spanish cavalrymen turned their horses around, only to find the glimmering bayonets of the charging redcoats coming at them with frightening speed. Trapped between dragoons and grenadiers, the Spaniards perished. With the town captured, it seemed an easy victory was at hand. Suddenly, a deep rumble was heard in the distance, and seconds later, all hell broke loose.

A devastating barrage of artillery fire fell on the British troops. In the blink of an eye, the idyllic landscape transformed into a killing zone. Heaps of dirt and grass was heaved high up in the air by the impact of shells, making it appear as if the earth itself was trying to devour the men. Panic ensued, as terrified soldiers ran for cover. A group of rangers, who had taken up position in a farmhouse, were thrown into a frantic rout when the builidng they occupied was completely demolished.

Defying the round shots crashing into the ground all around him, Wade rallied his scattered men. Sitting steadily upon his white horse, he raised his hand in the air. "Let not your brothers die in vain!" he said loudly. "Attack now and make this a day of victory!" His words helped the soldiers regain their courage. Shouting and cheering, they formed up and marched through the thick smoke towards the Spanish guns. Across fields of grain they went, sweeping aside a cavalry charge with minor difficulty.

Seeing the redcoats advance, the Spanish commander, Hieronimo Guzman, was growing increasingly worried. He had thought that the intensive bombardment would push the British back into the sea. At first it seemed to work, but somehow, they had managed to suffer through the punishment and were now closing in on the Spanish position. With ammunition for the artillery running low, Guzman ordered his outnumbered infantry to attack. Knowing they could not survive a prolonged battle, they fired a single salvo before getting in close with bayonets and axes. It was a short struggle. Superior numbers ensured a British victory. Breaking against the flood of redcoated soldiers, the Spanish defenders surrendered within minutes, and the battle came to an abrupt end.

Once again, the flag of Great Britain flew over Jamaica. The importance of its recapture was obvious. In a grand cermony held in the town square where the fighting had first begun, General Guzman officially handed control of the island over to George Wade. Hundreds of locals had gathered to witness the event, which was conducted in a most civilized manner. A rare display of gentlemanly behaviour in an otherwise dirty war. Guzman got to keep his sword and was allowed to return to Spain with his men.

A few weeks later, Gallatin and the 4th Army arrived in Kingston on the Jamaican south coast. They loaded up with supplies, including the quicklime shells that Wade never got to use. Once fully stocked, the army continued west, landing in New Spain. Their final destination was Santa Fe, New Mexico. Having recently fought in the cold north, the scorching hot desert was a radical change for the men. The red dye in their uniforms ran with sweat, creating patches of white, as the army marched under the burning sun. The heat reminded the old veterans of their time in Gibraltar and Morocco, although this time, they would not be defeated.

Standing between the 4th Army and Santa Fe was small enemy force; a handful of native mercenaries led by a Spanish major. By pure coincidence, the two sides met outside the village of Chihuahua. Although heavily outnumbered and holding the disadvantegous low ground, the Spanish attacked.

Battle of Chihuahua, 1724

Commander: Brigadier General Harbottle Gallatin
    Artillery: 4 batteries of 12-pdr howitzers, 1 battery of puckle guns
    Cavalry: 1st Dragoon Guards, 8th Dragoon Guards, 6th Dragoons (Bluecoats), 7th Dragoons, 4th Light Dragoons
    Infantry: 20th Foot, 26th Foot, 27th Foot (Devil's Twentyseven), 28th Foot, 29th Foot, 30th Foot, 32nd Foot, 5th Grenadiers, Royal Welsh Fusiliers

The battle did not start out well for the attackers. Frederico de Suria, commander of the Spanish force, was killed instantly in the very first artillery strike, and the responsibility of leading the men fell on a captain of Suria's guard. Shocked at the sudden death of his superior, and burden by inexperience, the captain ordered the mercenaries to attack uphill, straight into the waiting guns of the 4th Army.

As the natives struggled to climb the steep hillside, the British howitzers thundered again, and shells came whistling through the air. Watching the impact, the redcoats were treated to a sight as spectacular as it was terrifying. The shells exploded in a cloud of dust and smoke, completely engulfing the enemy down below. The spectators could not see what happened next, but they could hear it. The horrifying screams of the victims sent chills down the spine of even the most hardened veteran. When the order was given to open fire, many of them hesitated at first.

The attack up the hill had broken down completely. Burned and blinded by the quicklime, the natives staggered around, trying to find their way back. A volley from British muskets put them out of their misery. Gallatin rode up to the edge of the hill and watched the slaughter taking place. The sight disgusted him. In his mind this was not war.

At the foot of the hill, mounted gunners also watched in disgust. When ordered to attack, they refused. Having no intention to be butchered like the others, they left the battlefield. Abandon by his cavalry and with his infantry smashed to pieces, the Spanish commander led the remaining guards in a final assault on the British position. He attacked the left flank, hoping to avoid the artillery that had wiped out the first wave. What he got instead was the muskets of the 30th & 32nd Foot supported by the rapid fire of the Puckle guns. A second massacre ended the battle.

The few remaining mercenaries surrendered. They held no allegiance to Spain and did not wish to continue fighting the British. After giving it some thought, Gallatin set the prisoners free, provided they did not take up arms again. The men agreed and were let go, their depature monitored closely by the Bluecoats.

Having removed the only obstacle in its way, the 4th Army continued the march north. In early 1725, it reached Santa Fe. The town surrendered without a fight, and another colony was ripped from the hands of Spain. Plans were now drawn up for the last phase of the war in America; the retaking of Trinidad & Tobago and finally, the invasion of New Andalusia.

To be continued...

Default Re: For King and Country (Great Britain AAR) [Updated: July 19, 2014]

Great story-telling, looking forward to reading more.