Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Black Sails (Season 4 trailer)

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Black Sails: A new show on Starz

Battles in those days where small scale the huge battles you are dreaming of simply didn't take place back then, if they did, they where very exceptional

Quote Originally Posted by sabaku_no_gaara View Post
    never watched those shows, and as I said, plot and schemes are nice, as long as the overal story is progressing, Treasure Island prelude however is slow as a snail

My problem with the barlow lady backstory and sideplots and scheming is that they are utterly pointless, we allready know they'll raid the big treasure ship, and bury the treasure because they need to fight over it on treasure Island.

So stop with all the nonsense and get on with it there's no suspense and we allready know what happens to the historical pirates. In fact, the real adventures of each historical pirate could fill several episodes with interesting events until you get to the taking of the treasure ship
    You could raise that complaint with Rome or Vikings just as well since you know how Caesar and Octavian as well as that Viking hero ended. Instead you are fascinated about this snail pace prequel story stuff. It makes little sense to complain about this aspect...
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

I'm not going to repeat myself.

Rome and Vikings, they get on with it!

Black sails does not

Quote Originally Posted by sabaku_no_gaara View Post
    I'm not going to repeat myself.

Rome and Vikings, they get on with it!

Black sails does not
    You make a very bad point so don't repeat yourself but bring a better one? I would say cause and effect of the actions and intentions of the different characters are better linked in Black Sails than in either of the two. The difference being since Black Sails is about minor historical people, not warlords, kings and generals, the increments are naturally more small scale. Each episode moves along nicely, it's just more detailed than you expected apparently.

Incidently that's however what genres like pirates or cowboys are about.
    Last edited by Mangalore; March 29, 2014 at 08:13 AM.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Quote Originally Posted by Mangalore View Post
    You make a very bad point so don't repeat yourself but bring a better one? I would say cause and effect of the actions and intentions of the different characters are better linked in Black Sails than in either of the two. The difference being since Black Sails is about minor historical people, not warlords, kings and generals, the increments are naturally more small scale. Each episode moves along nicely, it's just more detailed than you expected apparently.

Incidently that's however what genres like pirates or cowboys are about.

You still don't get it do you?

It's not about smaller scale, or minor historical people (which the pirates where not by the way) This is the fantasy novel treasure Island's prequel we all grew up with that book and board game, heck I spent a great part of my childhood replaying that book with my Lego's back when Lego pirates was still around (it was vastly superiour to the crap Lego has today by the way). We already know what will unfold, there's no need to give us cliffhangers, love tension and all that, and pointless characters and their development, because we don't feel the tension or any investment in the pointless characters, we just feel the overall feeling of: Just get on with the treasure ship quest, and if you need filler until you reach that part, fill it with the real stories of the historical pirates and the British and other Navies efforts to tackle the pirate problem. That alone should be able to keep your show awesome for a few years

The other shows you mentioned, they get on with their red line, Rome went through the historical red line at a good pace, making progress every episode with a minimum amount of "filler". Vikings, goes through the red line at a the speed of the TGV, also with a minimum amount of Filler.

Black sails is like the Naruto of the latest years: 2 minutes of progress and and the rest is filler bs that has 0 influence in the eventual outcome that will give us Treasure Island

I grew up as a child in the era of Pirate and cowboy flicks and comics, they are definitely not about what you think they are about.

I've seen the Young guns and billy the kids movies at least 20 times when I was a kid, and I grew up on Polanski's Pirates, and old pirate movies...
    Last edited by sabaku_no_gaara; March 31, 2014 at 03:04 AM.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Sugar plantations. And rum, the oil that fuels the Royal Navy.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Little bit disappointed with the show due it starts very slow then end it with a cliffhanger. Hopefully season 2 will be better. Season 1 is boring as hell.

season 2? Hm, I assumed it would have been cancelled by now

It wasnt it was renewed.
    Why you would assume that btw? while it has its issues... but it isnt a bad show by all means.

Its coming in january if im not mistaken.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; October 14, 2014 at 09:25 AM.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Its renewed for a third season.. lol.

Starz at least has a lot of faith in its properties. For better or worse.

Why you would assume that btw? while it has its issues it isnt a bad show by all means.

I think the TWC consensus by now is more like "Its a boring show"

Rotten tomatoes agree.
    Last edited by Påsan; October 14, 2014 at 09:28 AM.

Well truth to be told Television works differently then Cinema, sometimes Tv shows improve with time, or can become train wrecks with time as well. Point being Giving the chance they can fix, and improve things that werent as good before.
    We will see.

Citizen

I gave it 5 hour-long episodes.

Blog Entries

The show was renewed after positive audience reaction in late 2013 to the first episode, I think at Comic-con or another one of those conventions. This is a few months before it aired. And as Pasan said, it was just renewed again, 2 days ago.

It has a 7.9 on IMDB from users, which is not even close in "bad" territory given how fickle people are. It's just lower than most shows from Starz/Showtime/HBO cable channels.

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

We're in a transition period, where non traditional networks are smelling blood in the water, so anything halfway good will probably be retained as part of their line up.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    We're in a transition period, where non traditional networks are smelling blood in the water, so anything halfway good will probably be retained as part of their line up.
    Possibly. Starz isn't afraid of cancelling shows though. Camelot and Magic City come to mind, though Camelot was due to just more than how bad it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    Possibly. Starz isn't afraid of cancelling shows though. Camelot and Magic City come to mind, though Camelot was due to just more than how bad it was.
    Purefoy and Eva Green though

Waste of a good talent in a crapy show if you ask me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Purefoy and Eva Green though

Waste of a good talent in a crapy show if you ask me.
    And Joseph Fiennes. All three were great and wasted on the show.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

This show isn't so bad, 5-6 episodes isn't really enough to build characters and complex plots. Needs more sea battles less focus on the town.

Starz should have sunk their money into Caesar, I thought that was an no brainer.

Citizen

The Spartacus character?

While I thought it was an awesome show, I thought they strained their premise and style going from a gladiatorial setting to real battles. I don't really think it would hold up changing focus from Spartacus to Ceasar.

However if they would be willing to adapt the visual style into a slightly more realistic political theme then sure, the early years of Ceasar would have been great, rivalry with Pompey and Gallic wars and all. The character of Ceasar was likable enough. Then again Spartacus had some of the best villains in television though so no surprises there.