Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [STEP] Silven Total Expansion Pack [Version 1.4] - DOWNLOAD HERE - Updated September 28th 2014

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Silven Total Expansion Pack - A Unit Roster Expansion Mod For All Cultures [Preview 3 Posted] [Release Imminent]

Looks like a nice mod mate! permission to use in my forthcoming "all in one" mod? full credit given

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Silven Total Expansion Pack - A Unit Roster Expansion Mod For All Cultures [Version 1.0] 13 New Units!

-----STEP VERSION 1.0 HAS BEEN RELEASED!!-----

I hope you all enjoy it, it was a lot of work.

I'd say in its current stage, STEP is about 15% complete at this point. Expect many more things to come!

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

Default Re: Silven Total Expansion Pack - A Unit Roster Expansion Mod For All Cultures [Version 1.0] 13 New Units!

You have skills Silven. Bravo brother.

So are these units somewhat historically accurate? I'd really like these to be accurate. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'm gonna download this .

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

@ToonTotalWar
    Hey, I'm honored you'd like to include my mod! Thanks for the request. However, I'd like to get my full unit roster completed before I consider granting any permissions. I don't like the idea of my mod being represented by others in its current incomplete state. Thanks again for asking though.

@Heinz Guderian
    Thanks mate, I'm glad you like it.

@Septimus
    Are my units somewhat historically accurate? If you consider Vanilla's interpretation of "historically accurate" to be correct, then yes. All of these barbarian factions would certainly have access to basic archers, javelin throwers, swordsmen, spearmen, leather armours, metal headwear, metal shields, etc etc, there's no question there. And in fact vanilla already had some form or another of these units in place, it just didn't have them available to certain factions, when another did. As stated in the OP, the current release is a gap-filler.

The only question of "realism" is just how readily available these types of technology and equipment would actually be these factions. The Iceni might have been able to field men wearing chainmail, but would they have been able to field an virtually infinite supply to all standing armies? No, of course not, but thats just the nature of the game.

The golden rule with my mods is that Gameplay always wins over Realism. If Gameplay and Balance aren't at stake, then an effort to allow for Realism is made as much as possible. So far, I think this mod has done that excellently.

Scavrvs's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Silven View Post
    The golden rule with my mods is that Gameplay always wins over Realism. If Gameplay and Balance aren't at stake, then an effort to allow for Realism is made as much as possible. So far, I think this mod has done that excellently.
    Once again thank you Silven: good job. I completely agree with your golden rule!

Hellbent's Avatar Semisalis

Looks great Silven!

Some constructive criticism: I think the Gallic unit names could use some spicing up; Celtic XX sounds a bit generic. I think the names for the new Suebi units bring great flavor though, and they fit in well with the vanilla names.

Senator

Default Re: Silven Total Expansion Pack - A Unit Roster Expansion Mod For All Cultures

@Albion Dude
    Yes, this was really irritating for me as well. At the very least, all of these barbarian factions would have had access to a basic bow and arrow. One idea that I've been struggling to make a decision on though, is whether or not I should give the Iceni access to Longbowmen as well. The typical "Longbow" as we think of it when thinking of the briton culture would not have come up until the founding of a unified England several centuries later, but then again, the "Longbowmen" in-game aren't the same as English Longbowmen, considering the Suebi have access to them. Anyone else with thoughts on this?
    The term "longbow" is not one from the times were such bows were used. It were just simple self bows made entirely of wood, some were long and some not so. Their use was widely spread. The so called "English longbow" was jus a simple self bow, but as time progressed, a rather strong one. The secret of the bow was not his unique construction but the trained men used to use such strong bows up to 180 lbs draw weight. We can exclude such strong bows in antiquity, at least in Europe. From the archaeological findings and written sources expert bowmanship was not a feature of the ancient Celts, Britons or Germans. I would not give strong bowmen to them, but it's good to give them archers at all. My question: is it already possible to change the appearance of units? I fear not. I cannot play R2TW when my Greeks or even Iberians have Roman military sandals attached. (I don't know why I cannot create clauses in this forum)

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

@Hellbent
    Yes I agree, I would like to be a bit more creative with the Gallic units, but the Vanilla format for naming Gallic units pretty much follows this pattern. I'm open to specific suggestions though.

@geala
    Yes, I'm aware that the English Longbow was not used during this time, I stated exactly that in my post. Thats why the question of giving the Iceni access to bows with 180m range like the Suebi have is something I haven't been able to decide on yet. Given that the average armour of the barbarians is much less compared to most of the rest of the world, I think its fitting that they have some strength elsewhere. For the Arverni, its their Cavalry. For the Suebi, its their longbows. For the Iceni, its their early access to chainmail. I just can't decide if the Iceni should have the longbow advantage as well, especially since the Iceni have the highest average armour out of all the Barbarian factions.

And yes, it is possible to change the appearance of units. All equipment combinations and visual appearances are completely custom made packages in this mod.

Laetus

Would just like to say that I'm really looking forward to this...

wonderful work!, keep it going

Albion Dude's Avatar Civis

Thank you Silven, as far I'm concerned the Iceni are now playable.
    Before this, I had to send my armies across the sea and hire Longbow mercs!

Top job sir!
    I wish very much that some measures could be adopted to get recruits for the 29th Regiment, it is the best Regiment in this Army, has an admirable internal system and excellent Non-Commissioned Officers. Duke of Wellington, 12 September 1809.
    The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw, and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind.
    Sir Arthur "Bomber" Harris, Air Chief Marshal, RAF.

Never in the field of modding was so much owed by so many to so few
    . Bang on! Huzzah!!

when you do the greeks ill download it.the units look awsome

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

@Albion Dude

What are your thoughts on giving the Iceni access to archers with a 180m range in addition to the current basic archers they have?

@Albion Dude

What are your thoughts on giving the Iceni access to archers with a 180m range in addition to the current basic archers they have?
    I think that would be interesting. Great work btw!! Is the AI capable of using them all OK?

Is that your cat in your userpic?

Albion Dude's Avatar Civis

@Albion Dude

I must admit while playing yesterday, enjoying the new archers, I did wish that their range was better than slingers. I would love to see Iceni archers with 180m range, but I know others might feel this is over powered.

I definitely think a increase in range for the basic is needed, maybe to 135-145m. Adding a unit of better archers could not hurt and if people don't like them, they don't have to recruit them!
    Last edited by Albion Dude; October 17, 2013 at 01:35 AM.
    I wish very much that some measures could be adopted to get recruits for the 29th Regiment, it is the best Regiment in this Army, has an admirable internal system and excellent Non-Commissioned Officers. Duke of Wellington, 12 September 1809.
    The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw, and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind.
    Sir Arthur "Bomber" Harris, Air Chief Marshal, RAF.

Never in the field of modding was so much owed by so many to so few
    . Bang on! Huzzah!!

Senator

@geala
    Yes, I'm aware that the English Longbow was not used during this time, I stated exactly that in my post. Thats why the question of giving the Iceni access to bows with 180m range like the Suebi have is something I haven't been able to decide on yet. Given that the average armour of the barbarians is much less compared to most of the rest of the world, I think its fitting that they have some strength elsewhere. For the Arverni, its their Cavalry. For the Suebi, its their longbows. For the Iceni, its their early access to chainmail. I just can't decide if the Iceni should have the longbow advantage as well, especially since the Iceni have the highest average armour out of all the Barbarian factions.

And yes, it is possible to change the appearance of units. All equipment combinations and visual appearances are completely custom made packages in this mod.
    But also the medieval Welsh and English did not use "longbows" (a term mostly from the 19th c.), just long self bows, looking more or less the same as the bows which were in use from early Iron Age in the northern parts of Europe. You can make a long bow weak or strong, and weak and strong "longbows" existed. So maybe the Iceni should have weak long bows (not in game), but because of the game structure they should not have the ingame stronger "longbows", because the Britons are not known historically for archery excellence (although archery equipment is found in archaeological context). They should have other advantages, stronger slingers f.e.; so your decision to not give longbows to Iceni is right imo. Much more important : could you make some Greek low level troops (f.e. slingers, archers and akontistai/javelinmen) at least barefooted instead of wearing Roman caligae? For Iberian troops there must be created sooner or later the distinguished Iberian footwear, but bare feet are very acceptable f.e. for Balearic slingers (because most ancient depiction of Balearic people show them barefoot).

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

@jpinard
    Yes, as stated in the OP, the AI will use these units.

@geala

Paragraphs my friend... please... paragraphs.

Senator

Sorry, I tried all I could with this browser in this forum, I cannot create paragraphs which annoys me to the extreme. Nevertheless, please give me some barefoot units (or I have to learn to mod myself, a pointless effort I fear considering my restricted abilities)

Hey Silven,

I absolutely love your 'total improvement mod' it has been fantastic. I myself am trying to change the economics in Rome 2, s.t. there is a focus more on acquisition of resources, anyway I actually wanted to ask how you add more units, as I really want to make proper historically accurate punic war Carthaginians with heavy and light chariots, light cav, numidian light infantry and Iberian infantry that aren't all mercenaries, but merely the levies recruited from conquered provinces.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast