Thread: Crashed when I clicked exterminate

Default Crashed when I clicked exterminate

Ok so I started a new campaign as Numidia just to see how bad I would doo. Anyways, I started attacking Carthaginian holdings in North Africa. I can't remember the name of the town right now, but it's the second one from the west that Carthage owns at the start in North Africa (I think it's the fourth one if you start with Carthage and go west). I laid siege to that town and clicked end turn. During the computer's turn Carthage attacked my siege army. After I achieved a HEROIC victory by wiping out every soldier they had I got the town, cept when I clicked exterminate option the game crashed, no error message either even though I have -show err.

Anyone know what the deal is? I'm kinda angry at the game for doing that to me after a heroic victory, I mean damn it playing Numidia ain't easy!!!!!!

I kinda wanna do this to the game right now

I should note I have RTRPE 1.7beta + Candelarius' Mod with Promethean Skins

Default Re: Crashed when I clicked exterminate

I am afraid it is a problem that happens from time to time and has not been solved yet. As far as I know, it might be a RTW problem and not due to RTR Platinum modification. So, I can only express my condolences for your game.

Had the same bug with Parthia. Captured a city from the seleucids at the beginning of the game in the south.

Difference: I clicked on: ENSLAVE

Result: Back to desktop

It kinda makes me angry. I remember this bug being in RTR 6.0 last summer. And it still hasnt been solved yet, and i dont know who to blame. Probably CA but i never had that bug in vanilla so...

No use playing a game that doesnt allow you to use certain options. Its really annoying that 2 years after release this game still isnt in a fully functional state and no one has an idea why...

Now i remember why i stopped playing everything RTW related last summer. Insolveable bugs...

Btw: Using the same mods ares uses. 1.7 Beta PE and Cand. Mod with those skins...

I think it is a RTW v1.5 bug or a RTW in general bug and is not related to any particular mod. The last time I had it I was playing Terrae Expugnandae. I was able to completely destroy 2 armies(one of which was from the city) and have had almost no casualties and then the options and CTD. I know how you feel. Luckily I had saved the game before and the next time I played it I could choose the option with no problems.

Cha0sMarin3's Avatar Semisalis

I can confirm this, when playing as the Macedonians i did exterminate, and it crashed, and as the Thracians i did enslave. I think this bug is fully random because it doesnt happen all the time when you enslave/exterminate a settlement.

Im not 100% sure, but i think the ,,manage all settlements" option has something to do with that bug. Ill keep testing though...

Invoker's Avatar Philosopher-King

I've only encountered this bug rarely, and every time it seems to be in a completely different situation. I have no idea what the common factors are, and as such, no clue what's causing the bug. But it's a RTW bug I'm pretty sure, nothing new to RTR
    Servant in the House of Siblesz under the Patronage of the fallen Crandar.

From my experience this happens only if you siege a town and the Ai attacks you with other army. I never completely wipe out the two armies (the attacking army + the town troops) and since then no CTD.

Quote Originally Posted by cezarip
    From my experience this happens only if you siege a town and the Ai attacks you with other army. I never completely wipe out the two armies (the attacking army + the town troops) and since then no CTD.
    Interesting. That`s how I got my last related CTD. I completely destroyed both the army from the city and the one reinforcing it. It was the AI who attacked me.

Did you have a family member in your sieging army? I have the impresion that the CTD occurs only if the AI has reinforcements (you are fighting two AI armies).
    Last edited by cezarip; September 21, 2006 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cezarip
    Did you have a family member in your sieging army? I have the impresion that the CTD occurs only if the AI has reinforcements (you are fighting two AI armies).
    IIRC yes. It was my best army and I think I had about 2 or maybe 3 generals in it. But, I don`t think that it happens all the time. I remember I was able to completely destroy armies(one from the city and the other reinforcing it i.e.) and i was able to exterminate without getting a CTD IIRC.

What Florin said is the same for me. I had 2 family members in my army, they didn't have one in either of the 2 armies though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares82
    Ok so I started a new campaign as Numidia just to see how bad I would doo. Anyways, I started attacking Carthaginian holdings in North Africa. I can't remember the name of the town right now, but it's the second one from the west that Carthage owns at the start in North Africa (I think it's the fourth one if you start with Carthage and go west). I laid siege to that town and clicked end turn. During the computer's turn Carthage attacked my siege army. After I achieved a HEROIC victory by wiping out every soldier they had I got the town, cept when I clicked exterminate option the game crashed, no error message either even though I have -show err.

Anyone know what the deal is? I'm kinda angry at the game for doing that to me after a heroic victory, I mean damn it playing Numidia ain't easy!!!!!!

I kinda wanna do this to the game right now

I should note I have RTRPE 1.7beta + Candelarius' Mod with Promethean Skins

I habitually save a game before starting a battle....that way, if it crashes I only lose the battle and not everything else. It is a nuisance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares82
    What Florin said is the same for me. I had 2 family members in my army, they didn't have one in either of the 2 armies though.
    Yes, but keep in mind that I`m talking about something that happened to me in Terrae Expugnandae, not in RTRPE. And they had a familly member and I killed him. So, it`s probably just an unfixable and also random RTW bug so probably all we can do is to save the game before the battle and hope for the best.

To tell you the truth, and maybe I've been lucky all this time, but in all my time playing RTW, which is pretty much since it was released, I have never had this happen to me. That is why I thought that it might be a RTRPE related crash.

Anyways, sorry for wasting space on this forum, thanks for answering my questions.... feel free to close this topic if you want, Florin, since my question has pretty much been answered.

To be honest I don`t remember this happening in RTW, but I had CTDs when playing vanilla and I don`t remember in which situations. But, I played TE recently and also had this problem there(which I remember pretty clearly) so...

Closed as requested.