Thread: launcher errors

Libertus

Default launcher errors

Hello,
    Let me begin by saying that this mod looks amazing and my complements to the dedicated modding professionals who have created this wonderful resource for our community. I’m posting here as I’m unable to activate the mod through the ACW application interface, as I receive multiple errors, the first of which states “Error: attempt to concatenate global ‘pAppData’ {a nil value}. As I proceed to interact with the mod interface, an error is generated every time I choose any selection and I’m not even provided the courtesy of an ACW log report (which I’ve searched for in vain, even after attempting to find it via the default menu option). I found this thread http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?591613-Solved-Big-issue-with-the-launcher-(screens) which is precisely relevant to my own issues, but does not really clarify what solution, if any may exist, but merely postulates that the OS is precluding the creation of certain contingent files. As stated before, I am extremely grateful to the developers of this mod and as a Civil War enthusiast, have a very strong desire to recreate the epic quality of this conflict through this particular mod. I humbly beg your assistance and guidance. I’m running Empire on Win 7 and have run the ACW application as an administrator, with no perceptible change in its behavior. Please inquire if further information is required. Thank you very much for your time.

Libertus

Default Re: launcher errors

Also, in lieu of attempting to dissect the complexities of my particular technical dilemma, might I suggest that someone refer me to a download link for a previous version of ACW which may not have been mod-foldered and which merely copies over and replaces core game files. I know that I can induce mods that overwrite native game content into working properly, it seems that the only issues I ever encounter derive from using mods that have some form of auto-launcher. Is there any way around this? I’ve tried to manually relocate the ACW files and overwrite what I thought were the relevant game files, but my knowledge of E:TW’s file structure precludes me from doing this sort of thing proficiently. Anyways, any suggestions or advice or referrals to non-mod foldered former permutations of ACW would be hugely appreciated. Thanks again my friends for reading.

Trig's Avatar Centenarius

Not being a very technical person, I've no idea what your problem really is, but I suspect a faulty installation.
    I run ACW on Win7, Steam ETW and never encounter any such difficulties.

I'd recommend you completely uninstall both ETW and ACW, then reinstall ETW and ACW following this procedure:

Installation

Requirements
    1) Empire: Total War (preferably with Warpath addon)
    2) ACW Brothers vs. Brothers 3.4.1 version (3.4 patched to 3.4.1)
    3) husserlTW's Subs Power

Process
    1) Install ACW 3.4 and 3.4.1 patch.
    2) install husserlTW's Subs Power launcher
    3) download the ZoR - Open Beta 3.5
    4) unzip the ZoR - Open Beta 3.5
    5) run setup.exe and follow installer's instructions
    6) Do not forget to select ZoR in the launcher, to run 3.5 Beta

After this, (if you have Steam ETW) your ACW files should be in the path "Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Empire Total War\ACW"

If it is a case of permissions, like the problem in the link you provided suggests, then perhaps see if you can relax your Win7 settings. Run the launcher as admin, check your security settings as to why Win7 won't allow a program to edit or change certain files. Could also be your AV or Win7's security being too strict... Dunno. Maybe someone else will know more...

click banner for ModDB page and all ACW versions download links

Libertus

Thank you for your insightful and informative reply my friend. I have undertaken the reinstallation of both Empire as well as ACW more times than I care to remember and each successive installation fails to yield the desired results. I can confirm that the ACW mod folder is being installed to the proper location (the file path that you referenced), and that likewise, all ETW files appear to be where they should belong. I have noticed however, a somewhat anomalous occurrence, in that some of my ETW file folders are located in a completely different directory. Inexplicably, the folders for advice_history, fx_cache, logs, save_games, scripts and ui_cache are all located in the following directory, C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire. I don’t know whether you’d be able to confirm that these folders are indeed installed to the default location, or if I should migrate them to somewhere else, but I suspect that if they are indeed located under the wrong directory, then that might account for my systemic mod launching issues. I haven’t attempted to patch the mod to 3.4.1, nor have I installed husslerTW’s launcher, although I have to assume that even if I were to take those steps, it would not likely result in enabling mod launcher functionality, as the problem seems to derive from use of any mod launcher in conjunction with ETW. I will nevertheless take your very prudent advice and update to 3.4.1 as well as install the Subs power launcher and hope for the best. You wouldn’t be able to refer me to a previous version of ACW that merely overwrites the original game files would you, as I’m quite certain that would resolve these issues posthaste? Thanks again for your valued assistance my friend and I will apprise you of my findings after I’ve implemented your suggestions.

~Jeff

Libertus

Forgive my ignorance sir, but it seems as though the only downloads for the 3.4.1 patch all contain 5 pack files with no instructions on what to do with them or where to place them. I've likewise searched the threads here in your dedicated forum for some insight into proper installation of 3.4.1, but have been unable to find any instructive posts.

I have no "The Creative Assembly" subfolder within my AppData\Roaming folder. No idea what your files are doing there.
    I am no PC doctor, but is your computer eating enough fresh vegetables?

For latest downloads try ModDB, accessible through clicking my sig.

Your case is indeed a curious one. Keep us posted with your adventures in Installerland!

Libertus

Let me thank you again for your persistent efforts to resolve my technical issues. Is there any way either you or one of your fellow modders could possibly provide me with instructions on how to manually overwrite the relevant game files with those from the ACW mod, so as to essentially transform ETW into a platform for playing ACW? I do believe that this mod will otherwise be inaccessible to me by virtue of my strangely anomalous file and folder issues. As I’ve said before, I have attempted to manually copy and paste over ETW files with the content from the ACW folder, but I’m not sure which files need to be replaced. Any advice concerning how to proceed with such a plan or its feasibility would be hugely appreciated. Thanks again for your patient assistance sir.

Well, I doubt it would work. Theoretically you'd have to rename the ACW files into those that go into the data folder (but then you cant use ZoR, as that one only changes parts of some ACW files, not them whole). But several things are in several packs, where vanilla uses only one. Certain vanilla's things are used in the mod still, so overwriting that vanilla file with an ACW one would make those things missing and would thus likely crash your game...

Libertus

I was afraid that would be the case. I will attempt to cajole the game into working with the files from the ACW folder, though it sounds as if the probability of success will be rather small. Was there ever a version of ACW released which wasn’t fully mod foldered? Perhaps, if there is a previous permutation of the mod out there which simply overwrites original game files and if it’s somehow accessible to me, then I could at least experience some measure of what ACW has to offer. As always, thank you for your continuing assistance and patience.

Libertus

Trig,

I’ve found a solution to my problems my friend! As you’ve no doubt already deduced, the issues I was experiencing were in no way related to any dysfunction on the part of the ACW mod itself, but were rather endemic to my OS. I spent a good part of the afternoon researching my particular dilemma, which after investigation appeared to be related to a windows errors message (1505 and 1508), that corresponded with my system not recognizing me as the user with administrative privileges and hence relegating me to a default, non-administrator status. Long story short, I ended up creating an additional user account and set for administrator and viola, ACW worked perfectly without generating a single error message. I do hope that this information will be beneficial for others who may experience similar problems with either your mod or others while used in conjunction with ETW or NTW for that matter. Thank you again good sir for your patience and helpful assistance. If I could trouble you for one last query though sir; how does one adjust the turns per year in your mod? I assume it’s controlled, along with the other game parameters in the preferences.empire_script file, as I cannot find a similar file within the ACW folder which would exclusively apply to the mod parameters. Thank you once more for your dedicated service to the TW community and especially for your personal attention to my own frustrating issues.

Jeff

Glad you could get it working!

As for the turns question, you'll have to wait for some coder to notice this thread, as I haven't got a clue where something is in the code. I am a graphics guy. However, the default ACW's number of turns should work fine as is, as basically the 4 years of war are stretched to over 200 turns methinks...

Libertus

OK great, thanks again sir!